You Can't Make This Stuff Up!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

You Can't Make This Stuff Up!

Unread post by bressler3south »

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... /150329487

Conley, a Boston College graduate, says he grew up watching and listening to Providence College basketball games. “I can still see that Bob Misevicius shot that beat Michigan,” he said, referring to the Friars’ upset of the No. 1 ranked Wolverines in the 1976 InBANK Classic.

I was at that game, but I don't remember that it was televised.

My overall point is: Let me guess, this is the "Economic development" work they do up there, right?

Also, it was The Industrial National Classic…..

Which today would translate as: The Superman Building Classic, which is classic, because NO ONE referred to it as "The Superman Building." (Rhode Islanders wished that it was, but knew better.)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: YOU CAN'T MAKE UP THIS STUFF….

Unread post by rambone 78 »

In the article, Conley talks about a "brain drain".

Well, there's certainly one going on in the State Senate.

Let me guess where they will want the tourney played.

Hint: It's not in Kingston.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Could be a really good thing for the state. I see what he's saying. Senator guy. All the college kids can intermingle after the games and make babies with the rivals and have more pride in Rhode Island
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep that s fine - no interest in scheduling Providence or Brown for any additional game.

If this tourney goes that's it
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: You Can't Make This Stuff Up!

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Man, the General Assembly is just the worst legislative body in America.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I actually think the concept is appealing, but there's issues that don't make this realistic. Where is it held? If it's alternated between the Ryan Center and the Dunk, that would be fine. If it's only held in Providence, which is I'm sure what they have in mind, that would be unacceptable. Also, by holding this tournament, do you kill the annual game with PC?

Of course if the state would like to give us a $30 million football stadium as an appearance fee I'm sure we could figure things out.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Anyone think Pee-C would deign to play in such a tournament? Anyone think it'll be 85 and sunny today?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So, a PC fan boy wants a tournament.
He remembers the PC part of the tournament, but not
any of the URI part.
Stupid idea, but what's to be expected from the RI
State Legislature?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Anyone think Pee-C would deign to play in such a tournament? Anyone think it'll be 85 and sunny today?
if it gets them out of having to play in The Ryan Center, they cant agree to it fast enough. They've been begging for an out since it opened.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

And we'll look like the bad guys, since we aren't likely to agree to playing only at the Dump.

Making equal ticket allocations at that tournament won't work.

Brown and Bryant would never use all their tickets. It would be like a PC home game.

PC would love it. Us, not so much.

I wouldn't have a big problem with it, if we were to go back to playing twice a year, but that will never happen again.
0 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

It is a stupid idea which we get nothing from....this group needs to spend it's time concentrating on the much bigger issues that they are charged to handle rather than acting as sports promoters...This state is in shambles and this is how they spend their time...
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

At a high level it is a good concept. The problem is that there is not enough if a URI voice in the GA. Nobody there thinks anything through from our perspective, it's just expected that we will go along as long as they make it workable for Providence. My stipulation would be to alternate the site between the Dunk and the Ryan, and play an addition regularly scheduled game against PC at the other arena every year (so in years when the tourney is held in Providence, a PC/URI game is scheduled separately in Kingston). I'd also want the tournament to be a true tournament and not a round-robbin exhibition.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm not necessarily opposed to such a tournament, but no way the General Assembly should be involved. It should only happen if each of the four schools think it's a good idea and the logistics can be worked out, unlikely as that is.

The GA should be spending their time on more important things.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Probably just a ploy to get PC more home games from a RI State Senator that is a Friar fanboy.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, if this tourney was held this year, PC loses to Brown and we don't play PC at all. That doesn't work.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Billyboy78 wrote:So, if this tourney was held this year, PC loses to Brown and we don't play PC at all. That doesn't work.
sounds like a yearly round robin like the Big 5 in Philly

edit: read it again, nvm. screw a traditional tournament set up.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I wouldn't mind a tournament like the one mentioned, with big name out- of- state teams and PC and URI. I see no benefit to Bryant and Brown. It gives the possibility of a second PC game.
I'd also like to see alternating yrs. at the Dunk and Ryan Center. Doubt any of this will happen.

I'm guessing the GA has some leftover letters wishing PC luck in the ncaa's that they want to use up, too.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

The fact that they are arguing that it would be a great help to the fishing industry and be hugely helpful to the tourism industry is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

I can't see any of the teams involved agreeing to this. Brown and Bryant lose guaranteed pay days, URI and PC both lose a home game (yes it is PCs home court, but not money wise for this game) , and RC and URI both take an RPI hit for playing Bryant and Brown.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

rodfromcranston wrote:So, a PC fan boy wants a tournament.
He remembers the PC part of the tournament, but not
any of the URI part.
Stupid idea, but what's to be expected from the RI
State Legislature?
Lost to Michigan and then lost to Texas.

And I agree, stupid idea that isn't going to happen but this is Rhode Island so what do you expect. At least while they are debating this they aren't inventing more stupid laws or raising my taxes. Consider it a plus.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Captainron@ wrote: At least while they are debating this they aren't inventing more stupid laws or raising my taxes. Consider it a plus.
Well, at least there's that! :D
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

URI96 wrote:The fact that they are arguing that it would be a great help to the fishing industry and be hugely helpful to the tourism industry is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
The only fishing it would help is the one they already know: Up each other's ass looking for more "What's in it for me?" Well, you're already in it and up it, so get lost.
(Talk about "dirty money.")
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Whether it helps fishing or not it's not a good idea at all.
Leave PC and URI to their annual home and home alternating series. Same with Brown.
We don't need Bryant.
Don't need Bryant at all.
That's the team that really wins with this deal the most.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Bryant would rather play at UConn for the exposure and the 80K than get stomped by us in a "Quahoug Classic."
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Would Peter Griffin head up the Quahog Classic?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Of course if the state would like to give us a $30 million football stadium as an appearance fee I'm sure we could figure things out.
URI has a football team? :D
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yeah, we have uniforms and everything
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Excellent Major League reference
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

1) A resolution "being held for further study" essentially means it's been killed.

2) In Rhode Island, the Senate typically has less power than the House.

3) There's no matching legislation in the House.

4) A resolution of support for a "Quahog Cup," or whatever they call it, wouldn't obligate those colleges / universities to do it.

5) It's unclear how the General Assembly, even if it were so inclined, would have the power to mandate that the teams played. I guess with URI, they could take away (even more of the paltry) allotment the school gets. What about the other schools? I suppose they could make the Civic Center unavailable for PC, and Bryant and Brown probably get some sort of funding they could threaten to pull.

But it would all require a lot of political will that frankly, I don't see out there. Hence, why the bill was pushed to committee for further study. This isn't going to happen unless the teams want it to happen.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't think the idea was ever that the State was going to compel the teams to play, like under the threat of jail time or something. What the State could do is put up the cash to underwrite the tournament to make it economically palatable for all the teams to do it. I agree with your read that we aren't anywhere close to that happening, but if it did I don't see much of a reason to be upset about it. I think it would actually be great for basketball in Rhode Island.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011