The Upcoming 2015-16 Season!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: The Upcoming 2015-16 Season!

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Most interesting to me is that at every turn Hurley is shooting down any hype. Keeps saying its about them and the same things. A bit of a turn away from his style in previous years. All this Hunt. I like it, dont get me wrong. Comes off as super focused.

PPL keep asking if we will see the real Hurley basketball team?

I think its more that we are seeing the real Dan Hurley camp. Its all work, all about them, fortress of defense and effort. I don't think the transformation of the team is as interesting as Dan's persona evolution over the past few years.

Even the media that are close to them seem measured. Everything seems to be buttoned up from the promo videos, the comments, the events. ITS LIKE WE ARE PLANNING A SURPRISE ATTACK.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Most interesting to me is that at every turn Hurley is shooting down any hype. Keeps saying its about them and the same things. A bit of a turn away from his style in previous years. All this Hunt. I like it, dont get me wrong. Comes off as super focused.

PPL keep asking if we will see the real Hurley basketball team?

I think its more that we are seeing the real Dan Hurley camp. Its all work, all about them, fortress of defense and effort. I don't think the transformation of the team is as interesting as Dan's persona evolution over the past few years.
You're spot on with this. His comfort zone is not talking up a thing, it's just doing the thing. He was put in a position to do the hype thing the first two years, but it's not really him. He is so comfortable with this group and the expectations that are there for all of them, himself included. You know his teams are good when he talks up every game as if it's a potential disaster... and then they win by 15.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RF1 wrote:Tuesday, October 20, 2015
Atlantic 10 Roundtable

http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/201 ... table.html
Wow, I somehow missed this yesterday, but it was fun to do as always. If anything, the color scheme on his site will get you ready for Halloween.

Also, RE: Jaden, no one was harder on him than me, but he's a good kid (almost literally -- he's quite young) that knows his hoops. It's all good.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hurley -- 'We're not going to be as physical on defense as we were last year because of the rule changes. We've made some adjustments. My Dad may never speak to me again, but we're going to play some zone. I'm going against his wishes.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
RF1 wrote:Tuesday, October 20, 2015
Atlantic 10 Roundtable

http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/201 ... table.html
Wow, I somehow missed this yesterday, but it was fun to do as always. If anything, the color scheme on his site will get you ready for Halloween.

Also, RE: Jaden, no one was harder on him than me, but he's a good kid (almost literally -- he's quite young) that knows his hoops. It's all good.
Hopefully he's grown as a writer and has left behind all that melodramatic, faux concern about "doing things the right way." Don't deny me an archenemy, Smarty! (but I'm really not all that serious about all this. do you, Jaden)

Some quotes he pulled from Tuesday:

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

14 days!
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

"Steve D – Q: What will Kingston, RI and a Hyundai have in common in May of 2016. A: Hassan Martin, EJ Matthews and Dan Hurley won’t be in either. Enjoy it while it lasts URI fans."

Was this an attept at a joke? If it was, it was pretty awful.

No chance Hassan declares for the draft, small chance EC declares, and small/moderate chance Hurley leaves.

What a troll.
Last edited by Rhody15 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Steve D – Q: What will Kingston, RI and a Hyundai have in common in May of 2016. A: Hassan Martin, EJ Matthews and Dan Hurley won’t be in either. Enjoy it while it lasts URI fans.
Ouch.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, we'll miss EJ.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Yeah, I didn't get it either. Oh well, hope he enjoys rooting for Duquesne.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea Dan is going to Tee up EC and Hassan's senior years with Jared and Jarvis in the junior slot. Iverson. Robinson locking ppl down. That team is just scary. Like a legit sweet sixteen contender . Although I'm hoping that happens this year.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:Yeah, we'll miss EJ.
No idea how we will replace EJ. Smarty, will you at least check back in with the little homie in May and see how he's handling his prophecy fizzling out? I always wish the media would go find the doomsday religious lunatics that foretell the end times after the date they've marked comes and goes. I think that is a head space worth investigating.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

And what's wrong with a Hyundai?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

twisted3829 wrote:And what's wrong with a Hyundai?
And is there any particular reason why a Hyundai won't be in Kingston in May? I'm sure plenty of people own them.

So many questions, little answers to be had.
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Yeah, we'll miss EJ.
No idea how we will replace EJ. Smarty, will you at least check back in with the little homie in May and see how he's handling his prophecy fizzling out? I always wish the media would go find the doomsday religious lunatics that foretell the end times after the date they've marked comes and goes. I think that is a head space worth investigating.
Oh he's on the list.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Yeah, I didn't get it either. Oh well, hope he enjoys rooting for Duquesne.
I bet he's one of those Duquesne people who were so sure they hired the better coach out of the NEC three years ago.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote:"Steve D – Q: What will Kingston, RI and a Hyundai have in common in May of 2016. A: Hassan Martin, EJ Matthews and Dan Hurley won’t be in either. Enjoy it while it lasts URI fans."

Was this an attept at a joke? If it was, it was pretty awful.

No chance Hassan declares for the draft, small chance EC declares, and small/moderate chance Hurley leaves.

What a troll.

This is not far from the norm on what many other A-10 team fans have posted about URI in the last few years. I have seen fans from GW, SBU, Duquense, UMass, Richmond, St. Joe's, and Fordham post things such as this. They all think (or desire that) Hurley will leave at the first opportunity. They constantly whine about all the media attention that URI gets and feel the program is overhyped. They have a great dislike for Hurley. They begrudgingly give Rhody some respect but eagerly hope for bad things to happen to the program. It is really odd. It seems much of it is jealousy in my view. They don't appear to like the fact that Rhody rose so quickly from the ashes and leapfrogged their programs.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Game at St. Bonaventure was just added to COX/OSN, so as of now at Brown is only game not televised, but MyRITV or OSN will most likely pick it up, meaning every single game this year is on TV. That just goes to show you how far we have come as a program.
0 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Cool. The Bonnies game was very likely to be added to TV slate, so glad to see it locked in.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 06026.html

Another positive article on rising URI

TP Edit: fixed link
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

A problem with not hyping this team is that there will be empty seats for which the revenue will not be recovered. I want a team that plays with confidence. I am sure that Dan is letting them know that what they do on the court rather than the expectations will determine how far they go. Also, Dan doesn't want to be the Rex Ryan of Kingston! Someone other than Dan needs to be hyping this team in order to maximize revenue.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I really liked the restaurant sit downs and the videos of them just working out and getting up and down the floor.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody72 wrote:A problem with not hyping this team is that there will be empty seats for which the revenue will not be recovered. I want a team that plays with confidence. I am sure that Dan is letting them know that what they do on the court rather than the expectations will determine how far they go. Also, Dan doesn't want to be the Rex Ryan of Kingston! Someone other than Dan needs to be hyping this team in order to maximize revenue.
I am hyping this team. I am telling every soul I speak to in RI that they need to pay attention to URI. Probably to the point of being annoying. Don't be afraid to annoy people for a good cause.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Me too.... I'm constantly posting things on Facebook. I am certainly doing my part.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

I'm pretty sure I'm driving everyone crazy at work with how much I talk about this team
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Excellent analysis from Chris DiSano ...

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/from-nit ... ode-island
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

On hyping the team, I feel like a lot of that is being done. I have been talking to alumni through conferences this year and many who have never seen a game at the Ryan Center have tickets for this year. One of them in particular stood out as an alum who graduated in 1999 and was waiting for URI to be good enough to have a reason to go back. I know fairweather and all the other names, but the common alumni are watching...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

urirx wrote:On hyping the team, I feel like a lot of that is being done. I have been talking to alumni through conferences this year and many who have never seen a game at the Ryan Center have tickets for this year. One of them in particular stood out as an alum who graduated in 1999 and was waiting for URI to be good enough to have a reason to go back. I know fairweather and all the other names, but the common alumni are watching...
Not surprising really. The last coach hire was not very well received by many students or recent grads in 2000 or 01. And why would it? We had a coach who won National Championships at UCLA and then we get someone from the bonnies? Great way to alienate a student fanbase who just experienced a great decade of NCAA runs. I know. I was one of them.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Great article by Chris. His comments on Watson were spot on. He's very important to this team, and he needs to cut down on fouls and fit in defensively. Hope he has a great senior year.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I know Earl lost playing time because of how he struggled on the defensive end last year, so hopefully he can have a Biruta like improvement from first year to the second on defense.
He showed some nice offensive abilities from time to time. Didn't seem to be comfortable out there because he wasn't confident in what he was doing. We know he can be an impactful player. He's just gotta get comfortable out there and aggressive when we need him.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'd like to see Earl to give us a good 12-15 minutes this year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nice piece.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Not exactly "enthusiastic."
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you missed this from Saturday- talks about ARD, the expected offense/defense this season (with an acknowledgment that last season they couldn't shoot free throws or threes or hold on to the ball), among other topics.

http://media.weei.com/a/110564483/unive ... -31-15.htm
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Didn't know where else to post it, but the final non televised game, at Brown, will now be broadcast on ESPN3/Watch ESPN app. Every game we play is on TV. When was the last time, if ever, that happened?
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Brown on espn3? Did the Ivy League sign with ESPN?
Cool! I've never seen us play Brown
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

3 games aren't on TV but will be streamed online. Cleveland St, Rider (both on Coxhub.com) and Brown (ESPN3)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote:Didn't know where else to post it, but the final non televised game, at Brown, will now be broadcast on ESPN3/Watch ESPN app. Every game we play is on TV. When was the last time, if ever, that happened?
Rhode Island 2015-16 Men's Basketball TV Schedule

ESPN Networks (ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPN3): 8 games
Cox Sports/OSN: 7 games
CBSSN: 6 games
ASN: 4 games
NBCSN: 3 games
CoxHub.com: 3 games

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2015-16/schedule
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

twisted3829 wrote:3 games aren't on TV but will be streamed online. Cleveland St, Rider (both on Coxhub.com) and Brown (ESPN3)

4 games - add Iona (Coxhub.com)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thx Ace for finding that on-demand from WEEI.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A UMass team that was already expected to struggle might have an even more uphill battle this year. Antwan Space, a 6-9 forward graduate transfer from Texas A&M that was supposed to fill a critical front court need for UMass has left the team for personal reasons. There is no word on whether or when he might return.

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... k_kel.html
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Speaking of leave of absence, what's the status of Iffy? Is this temporary, or is he gone for good?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Koch's season preview for tomorrow's Projo

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... 9313/14010
0 x