The Upcoming 2015-16 Season!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: The Upcoming 2015-16 Season!

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So, Ace is saying Dan couldn't recruit Martin if he were 6.9",
but could, because he was 6'7"???
Oh, OK........
So, URI has never had guys who were good who were over 6'7"
before Dan came here, right?
Poor us. We're so uinworthy.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rodfromcranston wrote:So, Ace is saying Dan couldn't recruit Martin if he were 6.9",
Oh, OK........
I think what Ace is saying is that his skill set is designed for a more traditional big and that, if Hass had the size of a traditional big, he would have been receiving offers from bigger basketball schools. And, had that happened, it is unlikely that he would have committed to URI as early as he did. Also, if Hass was 6'9 and a higher ranked recruit, it's extremely unlikely that Hass would have had Wagner on his radar and likely wouldn't have formed enough of a relationship with the staff to commit when he did. Has nothing to do with us having good players in the past over 6'7, only has to do with Hassan's recruiting situation and how it could have evolved had he been a little taller.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:So, Ace is saying Dan couldn't recruit Martin if he were 6.9",
Oh, OK........
Some are still waiting for guys who are better than good over 6'7"…………..

Uh-oh………..
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Oh, OK........
Could you please stop doing this? This used to be a fun place to come, read, make a comment or two, but when you treat me like I'm stupid and seem to purposefully misunderstand what I say over and over, it's not worth it anymore.

First, I specifically said September of 2012, very early on in the first post-Baron season, for a reason. That things were in bad shape is really not a debatable point. I never referenced the entirety of URI basketball. Second, yes, height gets a player recognized. Martin's skill set, which is very good, in the body of a 6'9" or so player bumps him up to a higher level in that first pass of recruiting. The fact that he is a slightly under-sized front court type, and the specifics of his situation, is what kept his recruiting pool what it was at the time of his decision.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, I'm not psychic. You mentioned a date, on or
around Martin when committed to URI.
How a is anyone supposed to know you were drawing a line between CFL and
the new regime, rather than referring when Martin declared?
I get the rest of what you're saying.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If Martin were 6'9" he may have been a Top 50 type recruit, who likely would not have considered a team that was god awful with an RPI over 250. How was that construed any other way?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wait, I thought you said he only played one year and nobody knew who
he was?
Can't have it both ways. no matter what his height.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I also took it to mean that he wouldn't consider us if he was taller and rated higher. Didn't EC sign the same time? He was highly rated. I guess it's just a size thing.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Who said no one knew who he was? He had limited exposure due to injury and picking up the game late, but he was a 6'7" kid with center skills and even with limited exposure was still being recruited by high mid major/low major schools. Not impossible to think with a few more inches the pool of suitors would have deepened and included P5 types that become very appealing especially against a school coming off single digit wins.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I will be impressed when we next recruit a 6'10 kid who chooses us over 4 BCS schools......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

So if Hassan was anything else than what he is, then he would be in the NBA or at a different school.

I'm personally wondering if the version of Hassan that we have can win the A10 or win some NCAA games.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ramfan85 wrote:I also took it to mean that he wouldn't consider us if he was taller and rated higher. Didn't EC sign the same time? He was highly rated. I guess it's just a size thing.
So they say….
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm confused. BAR is a must read poster, and I always
have respect for his views.
However, BAR, haven't you told people for the past few years,
that Hassan has the biggest upside on the team, as far as NBA projection?.
So, what has changed your opinion?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yes massive potential, plays 2-3 inches taller than he is. But to realize that potential he has to develop more of his offensive game, and I don't think he will do that by just declaring him a PF because we signed a 6'10" guy - IMO he actually has to show those skills in a game situation. Hopeful another offseason of work and ARD addition is going to add a new dimension to his game.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Have to disagree on the notion that Hassan has huge NBA potential. Unfortunately NBA teams want backup 4s with range, or they want guys with really big motors. Hassan doesn't have the brute strength to be a hustle player. Not to mention the fact that he has no perimeter skills, unless he massively improves them in the next 2 years. I think JT has the most NBA potential on the team tbh.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

bigappleram wrote:Yes massive potential, plays 2-3 inches taller than he is. But to realize that potential he has to develop more of his offensive game, and I don't think he will do that by just declaring him a PF because we signed a 6'10" guy - IMO he actually has to show those skills in a game situation. Hopeful another offseason of work and ARD addition is going to add a new dimension to his game.
Agree 100%, he has a chance at this point but must realize his potential. The NBA is full of PFs who are physical defenders, rebounders, and shot blockers. They complement finesse centers.

I've heard Kenneth Faried comparisons, but I see him more as a Dante Cunningham. He's also very similar to Udonis Haslem. People forget Haslem developed his jumpshot slowly and wasn't always automatic from the baseline.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I think Hassan's game most closely resembles LaMonte Ulmer's, only Hassan is light years ahead of where LaMonte was at this point in their careers.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Besides the leaping ability not sure I see a lot of similarity in Ulmer and Hassan's game....curious what Keaney.Blue thinks given he played with Lamonte.
Ulmer was a true wing type and slasher by the time he was done. Totally different players IMO.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree, BAR. One was a wing, who could dunk.
One is a shot blocking rebounder.
Loud dunks, and jumping ability, may be the only common talent.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Hassan has the most NBA upside of anyone on the roster and I do not think it is particularly close. Draymond Green was 2 for 17 from three over his first two years at MSU. He's exactly the same height as HM. And ended up shooting 38% his senior year. I do think the roster construction holds him back a bit in that we may never get to see what he is like at a stretch four position but he wouldn't be the first player to add that to his game. And one thing that doesn't get talked about that much is how much being able to switch on ball screens is a massive advantage as far as team defense goes in the NBA. It's what makes Green so valuable. He can handle five seconds switching from guarding a PF to a SG. And then back. I think HM has that type of ability in him. Add in his natural athleticism and he has major NBA upside. Doesn't mean he'll reach it but everyone else you might think of on this team (while good college players...EC/JT) are a dime a dozen in the pros.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I like the Draymond Green comparison.
Hass can also do some Dennis Rodman, Kenneth Faried type things that can get him on a roster.
I except him to knock down jumpers at a consistent rate eventually as well.
So glad we have two more years to watch him!
He was so great to watch last year and it's only gonna get better!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:
Oh, OK........
Could you please stop doing this? This used to be a fun place to come, read, make a comment or two, but when you treat me like I'm stupid and seem to purposefully misunderstand what I say over and over, it's not worth it anymore.

First, I specifically said September of 2012, very early on in the first post-Baron season, for a reason. That things were in bad shape is really not a debatable point. I never referenced the entirety of URI basketball. Second, yes, height gets a player recognized. Martin's skill set, which is very good, in the body of a 6'9" or so player bumps him up to a higher level in that first pass of recruiting. The fact that he is a slightly under-sized front court type, and the specifics of his situation, is what kept his recruiting pool what it was at the time of his decision.
Ace,
It is "very much worth it" for you to post here for you bring information and perspective that is much appreciated.
I always look forward to your posts.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Quick -- someone get this guy down the road to do a nice follow-up!!!!!

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody MBB ‏@RhodyMBB · Jun 22
The Rams just held their 2015-16 Preseason Team Orientation and began with the Five Core Principles of URI Basketball: #1 - Communication
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody MBB ‏@RhodyMBB · 23h23 hours ago
About to head into workout #2 of the 2015-16 preseason. Today is a great day to work on URI Basketball Core Principle #2: Trust.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

ramster wrote:
ace wrote:
Oh, OK........

Ace,
It is "very much worth it" for you to post here for you bring information and perspective that is much appreciated.
I always look forward to your posts.

Ace, the information and opinions you post are appreciated. They are my favorites to read.
.....Sadly there are many self promoting "lurkers" who post on forums such as this, whose tactics are mindless.
.....Keep up your posts.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Since her post was aimed at me, do tell me how I'm a "mindless, self promoting, lurker"?
Can't wait to hear this.
As for Ace, yes, she uses her connection to provide some interesting and valued posts.
However, nobody here is a sacred cow, and nobody is above having an opinion
questioned.
This board is well know for some rough exchanges, but we're mostly all still here.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Seems to me that Ace is on hiatus.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This is the time of year for people to take a break if they need one. Both Iggy and Obadiah have taken some time away from the board, although Iggy popped in recently and I think I saw Obie post in the last few days. Eventually I trust that everyone will come back when the time is right because if you care enough that you were here for the crap of the previous half decade I can't imagine you won't want to be a part of this coming season. That said, I have no info on ace and haven't spoken to her. I do hope she returns sooner than later.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Rod is not a lurker
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I took a break for over a week, recently.
I came back with the Obekpa stuff, as it was interesting.
Lurker? That's someone who reads the board and doesn't
post.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Mine was a back handed. I didn't comment on mindless or self promoting
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I figured that out all by myself.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Speaking of a "lurker," the fellow behind E.C.'s right shoulder needs to be watched in the future….

P.S. If it's a poster here, only kidding…..
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

One thing that we never really brought up, was brought up in the article - that EC never used his injury as an excuse. None of us knew about it. I LOVE that. Speaks volumes about the kid.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We all knew about his plantar fasciaitis, but
not the little finger on his off hand.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Look, ECM has been a great addition to URI. I wish him a better, injury-free junior season. I wish all URI Rams an exponential leap in production and success on and off the court!!!! Mock drafts do nothing but feed the frenzied…especially those projecting 2-3 years out.
How many had Kristaps Porzingis listed two years ago??? Last year???? Mario Herzonja???? Huillermo Hernangomez??? ET AL.,????
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Even more to like about Elbert....
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Ramulous wrote:Even more to like about Elbert....

Elbert!!

Man I am looking forward to this season!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not sure if I know how to copy instagram pics, so I don't know if this will work, but I'll try. Anyway, Marshall is doing a hell of a job with Hassan. He's huge. He looks thicker in the upper body than Terrell now. He's going to be a monster. Iverson looks stronger than he did in the posted videos of him too.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

ace wrote:
bigappleram wrote:I still wouldn't say he is playing out of position, his skill set is that of a PF/C way moreso than a SF. So its not that he is playing out of position, its that he is undersized for the position he plays.
And let's be honest, with his skill set, he's not signing with Rhode Island in September of 2012 if he's 6'9", regardless of the relationship they had established with him.
Will the lowering of the bar never cease? URI is a great place to get an education. To not be able to recruit players to URI is to suck at your job.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DeanDome88 wrote:
ace wrote:
bigappleram wrote:I still wouldn't say he is playing out of position, his skill set is that of a PF/C way moreso than a SF. So its not that he is playing out of position, its that he is undersized for the position he plays.
And let's be honest, with his skill set, he's not signing with Rhode Island in September of 2012 if he's 6'9", regardless of the relationship they had established with him.
Will the lowering of the bar never cease? URI is a great place to get an education. To not be able to recruit players to URI is to suck at your job.
Good thing we don't have that problem.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Glad to hear the effort is being put in this off season for Hass and Iverson
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

What would they be doing? Fishing a lot?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but if the Rams have a disappointing end to the season, then players like Matthews and Iverson that *might* declare early for the draft would be much more motivated to stay and finish off their college careers with a great season. Think of the Iowa State player -- I think his name is Georges Niang -- he was ready to declare for the draft but Iowa State's season came to a horrible ending with them getting upset in the tourney, so next thing you know he's coming back for one more year. Say that we returned all five starters this year AND the next, we'd be in 4, 5, 6 seed territory.... Yes I am aware that this is way too far in the future to predict but its certainly far from impossible.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Nice little Q & A, with hopefully the basis of a much bigger article for the Top 25 Preseason Preview!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

"Hurley: We're hunters. We haven't achieved enough things as a program to consider ourselves the hunted. Every workout that we come into we talk about being hunters. We're hunting a championship. We're hunting a chance to play in the NCAA Tournament. We're hunting becoming a Top 25 team. That's what we're hunting right now. And we refuse to look at ourselves like the hunted."

And this is why Dan Hurley is the best thing to come into this program in a very, very, very long time.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I really liked his answer about Kuran: "This is his last chance to fulfill the great promise and talent that he has. He's got to get it done here and there are no excuses. He's being given a great opportunity"
0 x