POWELL, POWELL, POWELL, REALLY?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ballallday
Abdul Fox

POWELL, POWELL, POWELL, REALLY?

Unread post by ballallday »

Guys, I know your passionate about your bball at Rhody but its amazing how my son Mike Powell gets so much blame for the bball being played. We follow the board closely because we are so far away and it's one way we try to feel the pulse of the fans and to keep up with all things Rhody.

It's clear many of you, like Rod, want Mike gone and thats ok with us hear in Chicago, everyone has their own opinion and like who they like. However, we will tackle that situation at years end. What I would like to know is - A.) Do you realize that we are playing some tough opponents and Mike is logging an extremely large amount of minutes? B.) Mike is 19 not 20 (as stated in a previous post)and in his second college season playing bigtime ball? 3.) He is the schools current PG? Baron may be gone, but Mike is still a part of this year's team. I was taught to cheer for my own.

I wouldn't post this had I thought you all were being slightly fair to the kid. Hell, Mike's my man but I do know how TOUGH the hoop game can be for the PG and I realize he has flaws that we need corrected ASAP. On the other hand, when the kid plays well, this year or last year, very little is said about his play. Look at the amount of Powell post today and look at the amount of Powell post after last weekend. He played Aaron Craft "one of the best defensive PG's in the country" for 40 min. half way decent, 10 points, 5 Ast and only 2 TO's, very little was said. He played well against Seton Hall, 5-6 from 3pt land and 60% shooting in major minutes back to back, again, very little was said. Made the all tournament team, very little said. Oh yeah, I think I did see a "congrats Mike" once or twice.:)

At the end of the day, Mike is a "young" man, miles away from home, family, and coming off an extremely tough year. The transition is'nt as easy as one would think. So I'd like you all to know that we are proud of the kid here in the "Windy City" and we know all will be well for him and the team.

Just know that I mean no harm and I actually feed off the post. I've taught Mike that whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. So we'll keep working to help Mike get better as I am sure the Coaches will too. Mike's mentally tougher than you all know.

Lastly, I'm not so sure that the opposing guards are tourching Mike like many of you say. :) I review the games repeatedly and sometimes I think some of you may be just a tiny bit off with the post. His on the ball pressure has picked up this year.

In the meantime, thanks for your time and keep up your post, good or bad, we're rooting for RI no matter what.

Mike Powell Sr.
GO RHODY.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: POWELL, POWELL, POWELL, REALLY?

Unread post by bigappleram »

what a classy post if this is really mike powell sr. i think you will find the overwhelming hope amongst the fan base and even this message board is that mike continues to mature and develop as an A10 PG. we would like nothing more than to have 4 great years out of Jr.
0 x
ballallday
Abdul Fox

bigappleram I don't know how to copy ur post and reply but yes, this is Mike's father and thx. Not so sure about 4 great years though. Last year has messed that up already.:)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Since Mike Sr. has introduced himself publicly, I can confirm that he is indeed our starting point guard's father.

Agreed on the classy nature of that post. I seriously doubt I would have been able to put together an even-keeled post like that if my son was the one getting all the negative attention here.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ballallday wrote:Not so sure about 4 great years though. Last year has messed that up already.:)
Harsh, man, harsh :)
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I don't want anyone "gone", I want to see everyone to
improve. The better every player performs, the better the team
as a whole is.
Since he is the only PG, we have to live and die with him.
If he does well, the team will progress.
Oh, and there was an entire thread devoted to him making the all tournament team.
I doubt a single person on this board or in the stands, doesn't want Mike Powell to progress and succeed.
Our comments are based on what we see, not what we'd like to see.
None of it is remotely personal.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Mike, do not let losers whose only athletic talent is sitting at a keyboard bother you! There are so many fans here who do care for and appreciate Mike Jr. I was at Auburn yesterday and saw an exhausted young man who while not perfect left every ounce out there on the court. Believe me, the overwhelming majority of us here at Rhody Nation appreciate our athletes and those who have played really know the deal. PG is the most demanding position and Mike has done pretty well for us! Also, I have had very brief conversations with him and he is a classy, good kid too! Remember there are many here that support him and all our atheletes, but sometimes the squeaky wheels get all the attention.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Mr. powell: thank you for your post. Mike is a fine young man. I'm most impressed by his toughness over the last two seasons. He played great at Mohegan Sun and I was among those who congratulated him. I wish when he gets in the lane he'd look to pass more. Too often he tries to shoot and has his shot blocked. He had a great assist against Auburn where he kicked the ball out to Nik for an open 3. I would love to see more of that. He's doing a better job of pulling up for short jumpers or floaters. Every game I hope Mike plays great and URI wins. He is carrying a heavy load this season and thank you for reminding us of that.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The most important opinions of Mike, Jr. are those held by D. Hurley, B. Hurley and the rest of the coaching staff.

The opinions, pro and con, of the fellowship of the miserable ( we, the posters to this board) don't mean anything.

I hope Mike can look past some negative posters and continue to progress as he has done already this year...hopefully he gets to get some rest during the games so he can be at his best at crunch time.

Many of us here are aware that these young men are just barely adults and are growing....many of us consider them our brethren because they attend, and play their hearts out, for the school we graduated from....and some day will join us as alums.

I hope you get to Rhode Island this year, Sr., and get to meet some of our excellent fans who treat your son with dignity.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This is a great post, Mike. And I for one really appreciate you taking the time to write it. I think all fans can get a little emotional at times when it comes to our team, but I like to think that everyone here wants all of these kids to do great things and succeed. One thing nobody can ever doubt is that your son leaves it all on the court every single night, and that doesnt go unnoticed.

I hope he sticks around for all 4 years. No matter who we recruit from here on out we need his experience on the team.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Mike Sr.,

There are a lot of Rams fans out there that follow this board closely, but don't chime in as much as we'd like. A lot of the time, whether fair or not, the negative posts will outweigh the positives because posters don't find it necessary to read and respond to posts that have already received positive response.

I think we've been unfair to Mike given the situation he's in. He's gone up against some very good guards and single handedly kept us in one game. He holds his own defensively, has limited his turnovers, and shown in a few games that he has an outside shot. The workload is heavy, we all know that, and to expect Mike to flourish immediately in what is his first real season of coaching is unrealistic. I think he's shown a lot of growth and will be a very solid A10 guard this season. I also think he'll play a heavy role in what will be a more balanced attack next year with the new pieces we are adding.

This team wouldn't stand a chance without Mike playing 40+ minutes each and every game. He's shown a tremendous amount of heart and I, as well as the vast majority of Rhody Nation, are very happy to have him in Keaney blue now and for the next 2 years.

P.S. - Will you be making the trip to Butler this year? I am a Chicago resident and am looking forward to making the trip. I should have room for at least 3 others in my car if you have others that would like to join in and don't have a ride. PM me and we can coordinate getting to/from the event.

Thanks for your input on this board!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Welcome Mikey Sr!

I've said all along - I don't blame Mike one bit for anything this year. It's tough to have to basically coach yourself as a freshman, develop some tough habits and then get a new coach who's actually coaching you the very next season.

The season is brand new still. You can tell he's developing as a player and a floor leader, and he'll have some setbacks and revert back to last year's free-wheelin ways. When he does, bobby and danny coach him up and put him back out there.

No matter what though, he straight shut down one of the highest scoring pg's in the country last night. I still have faith.

Playing 97% of your team's minutes isn't easy no matter what sport you're playing.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Mike Powell SR
Thanks for the post. For the last 11 years I have written letters to the powers to be about the coaching situation here at URI. I don't believe i have ever posted negatively about any player. I look forward to the Hurley years . It is frustrating to lose close games. I hate losing. I think that many URI Fans grew to hate Baron ball. I think that as long as URI offense consist of dribbling

around the offensive zone for 30 secs and then throws up a shot that the fans are not going to take kindly to that type of basketball. I have a son that coaches basketball and has undefeated seasons and 3 win seasons. I quickly tell all people around me who the coach is and then can watch the game in peace. My advice to you is if you read this board take it where it comes from.I hope your son has a successful career here at URI and go Rhody.
0 x
jro44
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jro44 »

I think Mike Sr. bring up a great point that some of us tend to forget on these boards...the are all young men just trying to do their best on a daily basis. None of us truly know the pressure these kids are on and what they deal with on a daily basis. It's great to be able to vent and to critique the team but I think it's always nice to remember how young these kids are and how much they put into this.
0 x
RamInLA
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RamInLA »

Classy post, and I commend Mike Sr. for sticking up for his son, as any of us would do. I think he's right to say that we overlook a lot of the positives of Mike Jr.'s game (i.e. his defensive effort last night). I will say though, that Mike had a tough night offensively and made a lot of non-physical mistakes. As a parent, you have to be ready for a lot criticism (some unfair) if you're going to peruse a fan forum, no?

All in all I'm cheering for Mike and I hope he does well for us for the rest of his career here at URI.
Last edited by RamInLA 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yes Mr. Powell!!! Awesome!!
I love your boy's tenacity! I've been saying right along, he's got real grit. I see him improving greatly this year already. And as I've said, I've been very impressed by his defense especially. I do think most of us understand the weight Mike is being asked to tote and I'm sure the coaching staff is well pleased by his play to date.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Any criticism of Mike's game, or any player's for that matter, has nothing to do with Mike as a person. I have not had the pleasure of meeting Mike, but anyone who has says he is a great kid. You have a lot to be proud of, Mr. Powell. With an enormous talent like EC Matthews coming next year, a kid who plays the same position as Mike, it will affect playing time. But, hopefully if Mike likes the Rhode Island area, and likes being a student at URI, he can accept a reduced role and take advantage of his opportunity to get a good education. He can still be an asset to this team going forward, providing leadership and minutes as an experienced player next year. When considering the situation at the end of the year, you and Mike have to do what is best for him. We'd like to see him stay on here.
0 x
ballallday
Abdul Fox

Section104:

Yes , I'm going to the Butler game for sure. So far, it's about 10 of us making that trip. My wife is bringing friends along.

Essam:
You make a great point regarding the dribble, dribble , dribble. The bad part for a dad is finding a way to discuss it with your kid in a way that isnt harmful to the player or the team. I stay far away from suggesting much to Mike. I played a little bball but I'm no Hurley. Heck, I'm not a Murphy either .
0 x
ballallday
Abdul Fox

Overall folks, we are extremely happy with RI and we all realize that Mike has to play ball. So thanks for understanding that at the end of the day I'm human. Mike chose RI on his own, I didnt even attend the visit with him out of HS. Regardless of what happens at RI I wanted this to be his decision alone. He likes it there and although he said it's hard, he absolutely loves the new coaching staff.

So, again, thanks fellas and I will hopefully see you all in January when I come down. Maybe a beer or two at the MEWS. That is the name of one of the local pubs, rt?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

With the current team that has major offensive challenges, and relies on its defense to compete and fight for wins, we/ll probably experience posters continuing(as it should be)to offer their view of plays and players in equal distribution of critical observations.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

Mr. Powell, Sr., thanks for your thoughtful post. As long suffering fans we are often buried in the weeds and need a break to see the broader perspectives all around us.

Last season, I had the pleasure of meeting your son at a alumni reception. We had a nice chat and when we parted, he shook my hand and looked me squarely in the eyes and said " I can do better". That commitment and resolve is all any fan can ask of a young man.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

By Mike's senior year (or sooner! 8-) ), he may be enjoying what no Rhody player has enjoyed in well over a decade - an NCAA Tournament experience. I hope he can be a part of it given his great contributions this year.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

As some here have already stated, please don't take the opinions of a few posters here to heart. A lot of the time many of the more critical opinions here are from a select few people who dominate the overall conversation. I would wager that an overwhelming majority here are pleased with Mike's progress and future.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I want it note that 2 weeks ago I wrote here that we'd be losing by 50 every game if not for Mike. I was half kidding but partially serious in that I know how tough a position that is as a freshman and sophomore and I think he has been doing a great job running the team. Message boards are a dangerous place to try to get a take of the fans. Rod is one of my favs though and I don't think he ever said he wants mike gone I think he just gets excited about new recruits coming in. But you never know how someone is going to play until they show up and I for one thought mike played great last year as a freshman and has been doing a great job so far this year as the only player on that roster that can really play point guard. Tell mike I'm a big fan.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Issac wrote: Last season, I had the pleasure of meeting your son at a alumni reception. We had a nice chat and when we parted, he shook my hand and looked me squarely in the eyes and said " I can do better". That commitment and resolve is all any fan can ask of a young man.
I love hearing stuff like that.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I am thankful that Mr. Powell posted here, if for no other reason than to show that I am not Mr. Powell.

Kidding aside, I think this is pretty solid support for what I was trying to say yesterday: constructive criticism is certainly appropriate when its warranted, but these players are college students and members of our Rhody family, and our commentary about their play should always reflect that. It's OK to point out mistakes players make or limitations of their game, but a good barometer for the appropriateness of such comments could be: would I feel comfortable saying this to the player's or his parents' face?

Thanks for posting, Mr. Powell. I can assure you that no matter how it may seem in their posts, every Rhody fan is rooting for Mike to succeed. Please don't be a stranger. We'd welcome your opinion on all Rhody basketball matters.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'd like to know why Kendall Pollard didn't come to Rhody. I'm guessing Mr. Powell knows him or certainly knows of him.....I'm sort of kidding, but if Mr. Powell has any insight, I'd sure like to know.
0 x
ballallday
Abdul Fox

Guys, I'd like to first say thanks for your replies regarding Mike Jr. Good or bad now and moving forward I understand you all better and maybe you all understand me a little as well.

I'd also like to say that by no means are me and the folks here that support Mike looking for sympathy. Mike is on scholarship so he has to hold his end of the bargin and produce both academaically and athletically. Mike is well aware of being accountable and what's expected of him. Beleive me, he's working guys.

Now, correct me if I'm posting improperly to the thread, but to answer Billyboy78 regarding Kendall: Yes, I know Kendall and a few family members well but I wouldnt want to comment on his decision to chose Dayton out of respect for them. He did however, enjoy his time on the visit and they were really impressed with Dan. BTW, Mike tried hard to talk to him this summer too. Heck, I even put my two cents in with one family member regarding Preston's openess / honesty.

So much for me as a recruiter huh?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ballallday wrote:Guys, I'd like to first say thanks for your replies regarding Mike Jr. Good or bad now and moving forward I understand you all better and maybe you all understand me a little as well.

I'd also like to say that by no means are me and the folks here that support Mike looking for sympathy. Mike is on scholarship so he has to hold his end of the bargin and produce both academaically and athletically. Mike is well aware of being accountable and what's expected of him. Beleive me, he's working guys.

Now, correct me if I'm posting improperly to the thread, but to answer Billyboy78 regarding Kendall: Yes, I know Kendall and a few family members well but I wouldnt want to comment on his decision to chose Dayton out of respect for them. He did however, enjoy his time on the visit and they were really impressed with Dan. BTW, Mike tried hard to talk to him this summer too. Heck, I even put my two cents in with one family member regarding Preston's openess / honesty.

So much for me as a recruiter huh?
Thank you for being so open and honest about Mike. Now that we've got to know you a little bit, I'm rooting for Mike to succeed even more than before. And thanks for the answer about Kendall. That was great. Look forward to your posts in the future.
0 x
Gunboat
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Gunboat »

Mr. Powell,

I would just like to add that the posts made to this board do not always represent the majority of opinion. It's unfortunate, but the passion that in many ways makes the URI fan base great does at times get misdirected, albeit the goal is always to help the team. One should also keep in mind, given the nature of any message board, what is written here is not always the most clearly stated. Just look at the countless back and forth this board falls prey to after some perceived slight to one poster or another. It at time borders on the insane.

What is clear, Mr. Powell, is that this team would be screwed without your son. This URI fan is happy to have him.
0 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

Welcome Mr Powell! Pure class right there with your response. I view the point guard in basketball similarly to the QB in football in that they get too much credit when the team wins and too much blame when they lose. When the team loses, the PG (whether fair or not ) is criticized. In many programs your son would have had the benefit of playing as a freshman to learn behind and sub for an experienced upperclassman. Obviously, he had to learn last year while playing 30 minutes as a freshman on a very bad team.

This board is dominated by a vocal few. There are many posters like myself who post infrequently, but lurk and read the threads. I like your son alot as a player. He has grit and balls and is improving and will continue to do so. He is going to get one of the best basketball educations a point guard could ever dream of. Sounds like he is a fine young man which is the most important thing.

Check in more often!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Mr. Powell,
The members of this board love our team. We want ALL our players to succeed. In a way, our teams can be like an extended family. We can criticize our kids, but no one else had better say anything about our players.
With the invention of the internet and boards like this, every little thing is discussed. Of course, it's not fair. I can tell you this, I'm sure glad there wasn't a message board 100 years ago when I was playing sports.
Looking at the big picture, really is important if a player can make all of his free throws, drive too deep on layups or be too short to defend a 6'5" shooter (maybe you can work on his height over the summer).
The most important thing is what kind of person he is and how hard he tries to do his best. Mike gets A's in both of these.
What impresses me the most about your son has nothing to do with the game. It's that he was one of the first to tweet congratulations to E.C. Mathews and welcome him after he chose URI.
This is the type of player I want to cheer for-for the full 4 years.

That being said, please have him cut down on those drives into the "trees."
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Hey Mike--looking forward to your trip east. Let us all know when in January and I'll buy the 1st round at the Mews!! By all accounts Mike Jr is a class act (proof the acorn does not fall far from the tree) and will only get better with the coaches in place. You need to IGNORE the negative posters on this forum. Everyone here is a huge fan--keep that in mind.
Looking for the Giants to beat the Bears and go to the Super Bowl again...............
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I just love people who never post here, coming on and taking shots at those of us who MAKE THIS BOARD.
If everyone sat on their hands, and never commented, there would be no board.
A few people falling all over themselves in this thread pleading, saying, "It's those other posters, not me!"
Find ONE line where ANYONE on this board said ONE single word diminishing Mike Jr. as a person, or a student.
Now, the old Investigator in me wonders, how do we know this is Mike Sr.?
I don't take things at face value, sorry, not how I was trained.
ATP says he can verify that. Fine. I asked him how, and recieved no answer.
Just a logical and legitimate question. After all, there were 13 posts prior to today, and he didn't identify himself.
Of course, he didn't have to. Granted every one was about Mike Powell.
If it really is Mr. Powell, I commend him for sticking up for his son.
I used to communicate with Halice Cooke's father, who is also very involved in his
son's basketball journey. Someone on this board called Mr. Cooke a liar, which he didn't
like very much.
I also have had a back and forth with Chris Alesi, who is Hassan Martin's AAU coach,
who cautioned about some issues on the board.
You never know who's reading these boards. Players read them. Recruits read them. Parents read them.
As well as facebook and Twitter.
I think it's fair game to critique someone's game. While they're not pros, and are 18-23 year olds.
They are on, as Dan Hurley describes, a golden scholarship. They get to travel, they get noticed on campus and in the community, and
they get on TV.
In return, they have to practice hard, work hard in the gym and in the classroom.
It's the life they willingly chose.
As long as criticism never crosses the line to personal, it should never be a problem, regardless of who's reading us.
I take pride in the fact that in following URI basketball since 1963, I have never once
heard a Rhody player booed at a home game.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rod, I replied to your msg a few minutes ago. This absolutly is Mike Powell, Sr. He was on the previous board as well.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thank you Mike Powell Sr !!!!!!!
0 x
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

rodfromcranston has become the Donald Trump of this board. He'll soon want to see Mr. Powell's birth certificate.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Mike,

I say this from experience, it's a mistake for you or your family (including Mike) to take personally what fans say on an online message board. No matter how good a player is, there will always be detractors (ie haters). Mike is a solid player and a good person, he'll improve in his time here and I think he'll have a solid career in a Rhody uniform. The best thing for you to do is to delete this message board from your favorites. Players visit this board from time to time, and I think it's a mistake for them to read too far into what people say anonymously here.

Also, I think it's important to realize the sometimes astounding lack of basketball knowledge URI fans exhibit. Trust me Mike, we have a passionate fan base but not the most knowledgeable.

Like I said, shrug it off. Haters gon' hate.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I'm one of the people that has posted that Powell has been unfairly singled out on this messageboard, but criticizing the play of a basketball player on basketball messageboard, even harshly, is not "hating". I understand the definition of that word has been changed somewhat but it's still stupid to say someone is projecting "hate" for criticizing how a basketball player plays basketball. And I don't think that was ballallday's point at all.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Astounding lack of basketball knowledge URI fans exhibit"'????
BULLSHIT!
Go sell that crap on the PC board!
Now if we criticize, we're "haters".
Sell that crap somehwere else, too.
A player's father come on here, and
people rush to snivel and grovel in mea culpas.
"Oh, please sir! We are unworthy to speak."
Please!
Oh, and Isaac.....YOU'RE FIRED!

PS- ATP convinced me of Mr. Powell's identity
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I'm not on board with this whole "lack of knowledge" claim. Especially on this board. URI fans in general, yeah I'll give you that...some people thought firing Baron was a bad idea, or that he was a good coach because he glad handed one of them at a fundraiser.

At work I had to deal with someone seriously saying that our 1-5 record wasn't "turning it around" fast enough...there are some people who are absolute pink hatted morons, but those aren't the ones on this board. They're the ones that'll muscle in on my season tickets in a few years when we get good again and throw more money at the program than I could. They're the ones sitting on their hands until the t-shirts get tossed out, if they go to the games at all.

On this board I'll say there are people that straight up lie and make up "sources," but I certainly wouldn't say we aren't knowledgable, especially when it comes to URI hoops.

I'm pretty sure the whole reason message boards were created were to bitch and gripe about our frustrations.

The only reason Powell or anyone is getting any flak this year is because we're so close to winning these games, and we found ways to lose 3 other games that we could have won. The PG is your floor general. He's like your QB. Fair or unfair a loss is going to be on him, no matter how little his mistake may have been. Mike knows this, he's been through a ton of shit in his brief career here so far. He's tough, you can see it.

So he'll get the criticism when we lose because he's our guy. He won't get all the credit when we win because no matter how much of a stud he is on D like the other night at Auburn, or against Craft and Ohio State, PG is a thankless job. Like a CB in football, you're only exposed when you make a mistake.

When he has breakout scoring performances like torching down Mohegan Sun for 2 games, he'll get his due (and he did and certainly earned it), but he's gonna get his lumps too. And like a family - everyone on this team is so great to root for, such a great story, such great fighters - we're going to love them and hate them because we want the wins as bad as they do.

It is awesome that Mike Powell Sr came on here. Awesome that we are lucky enough to have a tight knit family that loves this team. No one is a hater..I guarantee you EVERYONE on this board wants to see Mikey play his best, we want Rhody to win.

I'd rather have us on here bitching about a close loss and a couple mistakes (which everyone makes) rather than last year having zero passion, no chance to win - and all we could say is "we suck."

I love that we can bitch and moan about mistakes and close games...BECAUSE WE'RE CLOSE. We're so f'ing close and the losses are frustrating.

Our guys are going to be overachievers this year, Mike Powell especially. Trust me - every single one of these guys is going to get a heroes' welcome tomorrow night. And they'll have earned it.

Think how lucky we are to be criticizing our guys for dumb mistakes in close losses, from where we were last year.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I feel like I started this by criticizing Rod for his word choice re: Mike Powell after the Auburn win. I just want to point out that my issue was with the word choice, not with Rod as a poster or the idea of a poster criticizing a player. It was part of a larger point that I believe in strongly - talking about our players like we give a damn about them, even when circumstances dictate that we be critical. That's all I was trying to say.

I'm glad Mr. Powell is on the site and hope he participates as much as he wants to, but I don't want this to turn into another Iggy situation where a longtime valuable poster feels run-off. Rod is one of the best posters here and one of the biggest Rhody fans alive. I just disagreed with the way he said something. Hopefully we can wrap up this discussion pretty soon.

As far as a lack of knowledge, its a mixed bag. Just like any fan base. But I will say that there is a ton of institutional knowledge and basketball knowledge on this board. Not every poster is an expert, but that is true of every board. I think if we are guilty of anything, it isn't a lack of knowledge. It's more a lack of perspective sometimes.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Point taken, TP.
As I said, people read this board. We don't know who.
You're right. Our words should be
better chosen.
At one of the Hurley receptions, a woman I never met said to me,
"You're rodfromcranston? I think you're a pain in the ass!"
By the way, kudos to Mr. Powell for the work he does with
the youth of Chicago.
Now let's move on to basketball.
There's a game tomorrow.
0 x
ballallday
Abdul Fox

Rhody fans:

I love your passion for your team, beleive me I do. I am surely not upset with anything anyone has to say about Mike, no matter how bad it is. Hell, I hate turnovers myself, it makes me, "the teacher" look crazy when he drives in the lane and turns it over. I never taught that. I was a penetrate a kick kinda guy myself. :)

Mike is tough guys, he played for "Chris Head" (look him up) in highschool. He's what we call the Bobby Knight of highschool ball. A true disciplinarian. He's really tough, harsh, and in many cases embarassing to the kids. So we've seen worse and been through tougher times.

FUNNT STORY:
Mike's mom even called Mike after one game recently and said, " boy stop going in there with them giants and use your midrange shot". This coming from a suppotive mom, but know clue of how many quarters there are in a bball game.:)

Seriously though, It's about winning and Mike has to help the cause, we all know that. So continue saying whatever about Mike or feeling however you feel about his game, we know its not personal at all.

Praise though, when warranted, and in my opinion, is provoking, encouraging and beneficial for most.

PS. ROD, when I get in town we all are going out for beers so join us bro and I'll show you my license.
Last edited by ballallday 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Like I said before, ATP convinced me you are who you say you are,
and as I said, kudos to you for the work you do with youth in
Chicago.
0 x
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

Mr. Powell, Sr. Touche' on showing your license, but to be safe, bring along yours and junior's birth certificates.
0 x
ballallday
Abdul Fox

Thanks Rod.

We're having a great time with the youth. My travel team will be on the East coast in the summer.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

ballallday wrote:Rhody fans:

I love your passion for your team, beleive me I do. I am surely not upset with anything anyone has to say about Mike, no matter how bad it is. Hell, I hate turnovers myself, it makes me, "the teacher" look crazy when he drives in the lane and turns it over. I never taught that. I was a penetrate a kick kinda guy myself. :)

Mike is tough guys, he played for "Chris Head" (look him up) in highschool. He's what we call the Bobby Knight of highschool ball. A true disciplinarian. He's really tough, harsh, and in many cases embarassing to the kids. So we've seen worse and been through tougher times.

FUNNT STORY:
Mike's mom even called Mike after one game recently and said, " boy stop going in there with them giants and use your midrange shot". This coming from a suppotive mom, but know clue of how many quarters there are in a bball game.:)

Seriously though, It's about winning and Mike has to help the cause, we all know that. So continue saying whatever about Mike or feeling however you feel about his game, we know its not personal at all.

Praise though, when warranted, and in my opinion, is provoking, encouraging and beneficial for most.

PS. ROD, when I get in town we all are going out for beers so join us bro and I'll show you my license.
Awesome closing line. Love it.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

While I have not been a Mike Powell basher, I will say this. The goal is to get to the NCAAs by Mike's senior year. If through hard work and steady improvement he is able to help us achieve this goal, then he deserves our accolades. If Mike despite his best efforts is not capable of helping us reach this plateau, then thanks Mike but coach needs to find someone who can.

It is not personal. Hopefully, Mike did not come to RI to play for a coach who was not too demanding. Being a good citizen and student and just an OK basketball player is no longer sufficient to hold a basketball scholarship at URI. I suspect that Mike wants to be more than an OK college basketball player or he would have left with coach Baron and the players who moved on.

His dad needs to understand the change in expectation than when he was recruited to come to URI and support his son as only a dad can. Mike must continue to improve and not be satisfied with where he is at or been. Mike is too young to reach the pinnacle of his basketball aspirations. Experiencing this can be the most valuable lesson in life he learns in college. So far, to my eyes, he has taken on the challenge.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Absolutely, I am certain Mike knows this, 72. I would love to see Mike continue to make significant contributions to a NCAA Tournament Rhody team in his senior year, if not sooner.
0 x