2015-16 Schedule Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 2015-16 Schedule Discussion

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote:Sure, you don't NEED to do it. If a kid wants to be there he's going to go either way in most cases. But I think it would be a pretty cool show of support from the school to say "hey don't worry about classes before 2pm on this day" or something like that. Announce it early so everybody can adjust as necessary.

If tax payers want to complain about something as dumb as that then let them have at it. Chances are their minds are already made up anyway and are just looking for something else to bitch about. It'd be worth it if some students decided to come to this game and then had a blast and came back a few more times.
Maybe a good compromise is that professors could be encouraged to reschedule classes that morning if possible. Cool ones will do things like let their students bring their stub from the game to get a free quiz grade or something. I just think from our sportsy corner of the world, it seems totally reasonable to want the school to support its basketball program; a lot of people will choose to view it as the tail wagging the dog. A lot of college is about becoming an adult and learning to make your own decisions, like when you can afford to play hooky to do something unique and when you can't. I'm fine with leaving it up to the individual professors and students.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

There is a University of Louisville article out there that discusses the ascension of the football program and how its mid-week schedule conflicts with academics. This doesn't approach that but similar scenario.

Ditch! There should be a twitter handle for it. With no re-tweets from official URI people. I could see it gaining steam --> Then even people not in the know would have a vague understanding that they should treat that day different.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bressler3south wrote:Unfortunately, MOST STUDENTS aren't basketball fans, they're not even "EVENT -- GOTTA BE THERE" people. Also, MOST STUDENTS who attend URI are COMMUTERS, so shutting down the University for a basketball game will not resonate with tax-paying Rhode Islanders. Nothing like this would ever make a "positive story" in Rhode Island, unless PC did it, because it is a private institution PLAYING IN A STATE-SUBSIDIZED ARENA.
See, only here in Rhode Island would that make sense.
Hey Bress, I just took my daughter on a campus tour as she will be graduating hs this year. The tour guide made a specific comment about Athletics at URI. She said, "We are a Basketball School." I just smiled. Her name was also Blessing. Yup, that was her name :D
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If I decided to miss a class, I would just ask someone who went what I missed, or if anything important was discussed, get work assignment, etc. Of course, these days, a student will text another student for that information. If a professor has an exam scheduled on the morning on Nov. 17th, that's another story.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

*awakes from off-season hibernation*

A quick poll of the URI students that my company employs over the summer has been encouraging. All seemed genuinely excited about the news and agreed that it won't take much to have a slew of students in attendance.

Sample quote from one of my employees:

"I never go to games...but any excuse to not go to class + be on ESPN sounds like a good time."

(I fired her immediately after this statement.)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:If I decided to miss a class, I would just ask someone who went what I missed, or if anything important was discussed, get work assignment, etc. Of course, these days, a student will text another student for that information. If a professor has an exam scheduled on the morning on Nov. 17th, that's another story.
That professor would be what we call an "a-hole."
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

EZBuckets wrote:*awakes from off-season hibernation*

A quick poll of the URI students that my company employs over the summer has been encouraging. All seemed genuinely excited about the news and agreed that it won't take much to have a slew of students in attendance.

Sample quote from one of my employees:

"I never go to games...but any excuse to not go to class + be on ESPN sounds like a good time."

(I fired her immediately after this statement.)

Tough but fair.

Philly schools and some colleges are closed because of the Pope's visit. This seems equivalent, no?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Actually the Pope visits more often than ESPN comes to Kingston, so I think we trump that in this case :)
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

theblueram wrote:
bressler3south wrote:Unfortunately, MOST STUDENTS aren't basketball fans, they're not even "EVENT -- GOTTA BE THERE" people. Also, MOST STUDENTS who attend URI are COMMUTERS, so shutting down the University for a basketball game will not resonate with tax-paying Rhode Islanders. Nothing like this would ever make a "positive story" in Rhode Island, unless PC did it, because it is a private institution PLAYING IN A STATE-SUBSIDIZED ARENA.
See, only here in Rhode Island would that make sense.
Hey Bress, I just took my daughter on a campus tour as she will be graduating hs this year. The tour guide made a specific comment about Athletics at URI. She said, "We are a Basketball School." I just smiled. Her name was also Blessing. Yup, that was her name :D
Yeah, Blueram, I'm glad that you were able to get a tour from my daughter -- I taught her well!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Well at this point it might actually be easier to get his Holiness to the Ryan Center than one on these wimpy top 10 BCS schools. Heck I think even Dan and Thorr have donned some ashes at a few ash Wednesday games so maybe we have some pull. Come on show up these sissy Top 10 teams come to THE RYAN CENTER Pope Francis!

GO RHODY!
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

TruePoint wrote:In four years at URI, I only took one class that started before noon. I also didn't go to many classes after the first week until it was time to review for exams. And I came out fiiiiiiiine (depending on who you ask). So to me anyone that wants to go to the game has no legitimate excuse not to be there. They don't have to cancel classes or close the school.
Don't let your kid know that!
0 x
Ramsey
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramsey »

I've been asking around for two weeks about what the school plans on doing about this game because they've known that it was at 10am for a while they just needed to wait for espn to announce. Two days ago I started to hear rumbles that there are discussions taking place and that the higher ups are favoring a simple shut down of campus for the morning session similar to a snow day.....

or we could pray for some early snow.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramsey wrote:I've been asking around for two weeks about what the school plans on doing about this game because they've known that it was at 10am for a while they just needed to wait for espn to announce. Two days ago I started to hear rumbles that there are discussions taking place and that the higher ups are favoring a simple shut down of campus for the morning session similar to a snow day.....

One thing I hadn't thought about is how a sellout-type crowd would impact traffic on and around campus, which may make commuting very difficult. Maybe that is a way they could backdoor into cancelling classes without it being about encouraging students to attend a sporting event instead of class.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
Ramsey wrote:I've been asking around for two weeks about what the school plans on doing about this game because they've known that it was at 10am for a while they just needed to wait for espn to announce. Two days ago I started to hear rumbles that there are discussions taking place and that the higher ups are favoring a simple shut down of campus for the morning session similar to a snow day.....

One thing I hadn't thought about is how a sellout-type crowd would impact traffic on and around campus, which may make commuting very difficult. Maybe that is a way they could backdoor into cancelling classes without it being about encouraging students to attend a sporting event instead of class.
There ya go, see there's always an angle!

"For the safety and well being of our many commuting students...due to expected large crowds in the area...blah blah blah...everybody get drunk at 8am and go to a basketball game."

Ok, maybe leave out the last part I guess.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

There ya go, see there's always an angle!

"For the safety and well being of our many commuting students...due to expected large crowds in the area...blah blah blah...everybody get drunk at 8am and go to a basketball game."

Ok, maybe leave out the last part I guess.
I am available to the university for consulting services for a fee. I do accept bloody mary's as payment.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's the students that are going to have to fill the place up. Yes, the hardcore fans like us will be there. But is the casual fan going to take a day out of work for this game? Unlikely, I think. I think we'll see quite a few empty seats in the season ticket sections. Will there be any kids there taking the day off from high school, middle school or elementary school? Doubtful. How many hardcore fans are there? Maybe 1000? If there is going to be a sellout for this game, there will have to be a record number of URI students in attendance, upwards of 6000.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I had originally thought it would be a poor idea to cancel classes, mostly on the grounds that it would antagonize the faculty ("this is a school, not a sporting club" line of thinking) and would be unnecessary because most every student wanting to go will go regardless of their schedule, but like TruePoint I hadn't thought about things from the logistical end of things. There's no way they can have classes before 1 pm on that day without it being the biggest cluster.... ever seen. The main parking areas for games, across from the Ryan Center and Keaney lot closest to Mackal are both reserved for commuters and there's not a big enough supply of spaces to move either spectator or commuter parking for one day. And that doesn't even take into account the traffic issues.

http://web.uri.edu/about/files/2015/05/ ... Campus.pdf
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I had originally thought it would be a poor idea to cancel classes, mostly on the grounds that it would antagonize the faculty ("this is a school, not a sporting club" line of thinking) and would be unnecessary because most every student wanting to go will go regardless of their schedule, but like TruePoint I hadn't thought about things from the logistical end of things. There's no way they can have classes before 1 pm on that day without it being the biggest cluster.... ever seen. The main parking areas for games, across from the Ryan Center and Keaney lot closest to Mackal are both reserved for commuters and there's not a big enough supply of spaces to move either spectator or commuter parking for one day. And that doesn't even take into account the traffic issues.

http://web.uri.edu/about/files/2015/05/ ... Campus.pdf

Wow you're absolutely correct. I'll be honest, on that point alone, morning classes will be cancelled. That entire lot is full by noon. Would be impossible for fans to park. And I mean impossible.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I mean when I was student, granted that was 12 years ago (shit that hurts to type), parking/traffic was a nightmare everyday already as it was. Now throw this into the mix, I can only imagine how bad it would be.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Valpo game date/time is a no win proposition for the URI administration any way you slice it. Cancelling all classes that morning or day would be a PR disaster. The lazy RI media, especially the Journal, would accuse URI of putting college basketball before academics and not investigate all the effects of a game at that time. Many Rhode Islanders (ignorant of all the facts) would buy this hook line and sinker. Traffic and parking will very likely be bad. My idea would be for URI to suggest that instructors consider cancelling or postponing class or taking other measures. Perhaps a take home assignment or podcast which could be saved for later viewing might make sense. Not making a mandate might save face with instructors and the general public.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How about the students organize a skip day. It would be tough for professors to teach an empty classroom. We're talking mid-November. 99.9% of students will be sick of going to class by then.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

CBS Sports' Matt Norlander weighs in on the ESPN college hoop marathon schedule:

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:The Valpo game date/time is a no win proposition for the URI administration any way you slice it. Cancelling all classes that morning or day would be a PR disaster. The lazy RI media, especially the Journal, would accuse URI of putting college basketball before academics and not investigate all the effects of a game at that time. Many Rhode Islanders (ignorant of all the facts) would buy this hook line and sinker. Traffic and parking will very likely be bad. My idea would be for URI to suggest that instructors consider cancelling or postponing class or taking other measures. Perhaps a take home assignment or podcast which could be saved for later viewing might make sense. Not making a mandate might save face with instructors and the general public.
I think this is slightly overstating things. The Rhode Island media is definitely lazy and sinister enough, and the Rhode Island public is definitely stupid enough, to make an issue out of plenty of things that actually aren't issues. But in this case, what interest does the general public have in how URI schedules its classes? If I were URI's administration, I would be far more concerned about the reaction of the faculty and overzealous students than about the public reaction. In real life, things are moved and rescheduled for logistical reasons all the time. As long as the classes are made up, then I don't really see what the angle would be for an "I-Team" investigative report....like, how could it be spun as something that would in any way concern the average Rhode Islander?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Could be positive. ESPN coming to URI for 24.... PC isnt in the marathon.

URI gets sched shift for ESPN Marathon! Great day!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

When I was a student I went to class once.......I still suffer from PTSD from the experience.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Whatever the case, it will be a very unusual experience.
to say the least.
I've met Ramulous. You need to stay clear of the drool, but
other than that, he's fine.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I have been cleared by physicians....no need to fear the drool.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Classes will not be canceled. Overflow parking will be provided on fields along Plains Rd and across 138. Attendance will not be great: (1) early season, (2) people have jobs (3) you can see it on TV, (4) bad time for many, (5) many students/staff park elsewhere on campus, (6) most casual fans don't know how good we are going to be, etc. The draw is ESPN2.

Good game time for old retired farts, such as myself, to drive in for the game.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't get "people have jobs" argument. Don't people also have PTO? I have a job, but I'll be there.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Like I said, the hardcore fans will get the day off and go? But how many hardcore fans are there? How many of the season ticket holders are even hardcore and will be there? This one is up to the students.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody72 wrote:Classes will not be canceled. Overflow parking will be provided on fields along Plains Rd and across 138. Attendance will not be great: (1) early season, (2) people have jobs (3) you can see it on TV, (4) bad time for many, (5) many students/staff park elsewhere on campus, (6) most casual fans don't know how good we are going to be, etc. The draw is ESPN2.

Good game time for old retired farts, such as myself, to drive in for the game.
across 138? lol better bring your walking shoes.
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Attendance for last year's tip-off marathon day games (start times are EST):

7am- Iona at Wofford: 3,014
9am- Northern Iowa at Stephen F Austin: 7,096
11am- Manhattan at UMass: 4,736
12pm- Baylor at South Carolina: 13,291
2pm- Wichita State at Memphis: 3,250
4pm- Utah at San Diego State: 12,414
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote:Attendance for last year's tip-off marathon day games (start times are EST):

7am- Iona at Wofford: 3,014
9am- Northern Iowa at Stephen F Austin: 7,096
12pm- Baylor at South Carolina: 13,291
2pm- Wichita State at Memphis: 3,250
4pm- Utah at San Diego State: 12,414

Using the UMass-Amherst game as a basis since it is close to the same time and another A-10 school that is also in New England, I would expect no less than 4,736. URI hoops has traditionally drawn better (other than the Calipari glory years) than the Minutemen.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How many season ticket holders do we have and what percentage of them do we figure shows up for that game?
0 x
Ramsey
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramsey »

rhody72: across 138? where, with the donkey???? The school is going to treat this as an opportunity to spread the brand of the university. You may think of that strictly from the "ESPN" angle but the school certainly does not. Projo and media is already behind this, hence the article yesterday. Sure the john rookes of the world may bash it but any PC fan will. The school is going to use the overcrowded campus and lack of available parking as a platform to cancel or postpone classes for "the betterment and safety of everyone involved".

You have to understand the effect it has when a current student goes home to whatever state their from and tells brothers, sisters, friends; potential students: "my school is awesome, they postponed our classes and gave us free tickets to a 10am basketball game on ESPN instead."

URI is never going to be Ivy League, and as good as most of our majors have become, I highly doubt we will ever become a Stanford, Northwestern or Northeastern either. Our bread and butter will always be the intelligent kid with a good head on his/her shoulders, who likes to party. You don't believe me, I live next to Eastward Look, come by my house on a Friday night. The school knows this, always has, always will.

This game will be sold out. 10000000000%
0 x
Ramsey
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramsey »

Also my sister went to Maryland, not exactly the hotbed for college football and one semester she took a Saturday am class becuz, idk why but she did; well every time that Maryland had a home game, her classes were cancelled becuz campus would be too packed to maneuver. its not unprecedented in the least bit.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramsey wrote:Also my sister went to Maryland, not exactly the hotbed for college football and one semester she took a Saturday am class becuz, idk why but she did; well every time that Maryland had a home game, her classes were cancelled becuz campus would be too packed to maneuver. its not unprecedented in the least bit.
I think I can venture a guess about why she took that class.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

So, after reading these page 17 posts, I guess that "Think Big, We do!" URI slogan is just a bunch of bullshit.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote:Attendance for last year's tip-off marathon day games (start times are EST):

This is the attendance for UMass' other non-conference games:

Siena 8187
Northeastern 2918
Florida Gulf Coast 5235
Canisius 3148
Iona 4011

Average 4700

If UMass last season can be used as a guide this game should have pretty average attendance.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It's really not that difficult for a professor to have a solution for this. If students are going to the game and missing class, give them an assignment that relates to the class. In grad school, we went to a Paw Sox game and our assignment for Statistics was to analyze the number of peanuts in a box of Cracker Jacks. We had our sample size, and everyone had their count. We did one big summary with all relevant data.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote:I don't get "people have jobs" argument. Don't people also have PTO? I have a job, but I'll be there.
I took a new job and the first day here I let my boss know that I'd be taking the day on November 17th. No idea how anyone who can even call themselves even a casual basketball fan would want to miss an ESPN home game against an NCAA opponent.

And for those rhode islanders that haven't paid attention to us in almost 2 decades, just tell them Bryce Drew and Valpo are in town for revenge.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I know I'm gonna find a way to be off that day. That game is a big one. We've already discussed how good valpo could be next year getting everybody back. But I read on their site they're bringing 99% of their scoring back, plus two transfers! 28 win team last year. Fantastic opportunity for a marquee win. So excited for that game! Won't have to wait all day for the game to start!
Get to wake up to some Rhody hoops :)
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

This is the attendance for UMass' other non-conference games:

Siena 8187
Northeastern 2918
Florida Gulf Coast 5235
Canisius 3148
Iona 4011

Average 4700

If UMass last season can be used as a guide this game should have pretty average attendance.
I think you need to take into account UMass and the opponent to though. The buzz around URI and expectations will be higher then UMass last year and Valpo is a much better opponent then Manhattan in the grand scheme of things.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If we don't get 6,000+ there its an embarrassment. Some posters here needling for Dan to be "creative" with scheduling - well this is our administration being creative, and now we are hearing but its a 10am game no one can take a day off work.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:If we don't get 6,000+ there its an embarrassment. Some posters here needling for Dan to be "creative" with scheduling - well this is our administration being creative, and now we are hearing but its a 10am game no one can take a day off work.
Yep, exactly right.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

I'm not hesitating in taking a day out of high school to go to the game! Maybe I'll get some friends to go with me..
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Joe wrote:I'm not hesitating in taking a day out of high school to go to the game! Maybe I'll get some friends to go with me..
Do you play ball? Bring your whole team!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I'm taking the day out of work so there will be at least two people there!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

We have been waiting for this season for like ten years and people have to realize that and sack up.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

^^ that...and it's been 16.
0 x