2015-16 Schedule Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: 2015-16 Schedule Discussion

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Thanks, Bressler. We speak the same language.
I haven't gotten too wrapped up in this thread, because
I get that it's difficult to get good programs to come here.
Everyone would, at this stage, like to see the strongest oppontents
come here, but it is what it is.
The schedule making business to me is like sausage.
I like the end product, but do I really need to know how it's made?
I'm sure there's loads of moving parts, to get to the final product.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

@theblueram: No, it’s not by design to have an incomplete schedule late into August. Most teams would ultimately like to have their non-conference schedules done by the time July recruiting starts. For us this year, with 30 regular season Division I games, we’re in good shape. I actually wouldn’t consider this incomplete. In some cases, we would actually be at our max limit, depending on how many games you play in your MTE (more about that later). We have the ability to add another game as long as it's the right fit...

@sf2010: You start with the un-creative way and that’s all in conversations with other schools. Cold-calling them in some cases. That’s where having a member of the coaching staff heavily involved is so key.

It starts with everyone in America wanting a home game. Then eventually folks will advertise looking for a road game. Then you go from there. If we have 10 non-conference avails, we want at least six to be at home. For this year, where we have the ability to play 11, that could become seven.

As for other venues (neutral sites), much of that comes down to date availability and opponents. We had a few initial conversations to play some high-major opponents close to home, but couldn’t hammer out the dates so the games went away.

@RF1: I’ll go in order
* last year, we entered the year looking to build a schedule that put us in a position to have enough wins to be in the postseason discussion. And we did. Part of putting a schedule together is to not be too heavy in any given year with too many home games or too many road. We aim for at least 60% of our OOC games to be at home. That said, last year, we struggled to find that last game to put us at the limit. With regard to the D2, the thinking was to play a game that would not adversely affect the overall RPI. A D2 doesn’t affect it at all. If you play a sub 275 or sub 300 team, it does. I’m not sure we go that route again, tho.
* Buy games have probably been the one thing that has changed so drastically in terms of philosophy. And not just for us, but nationally. In 13-14, we ended up with four sub 275 games and three sub 330. Unless you’re playing five or six single digit RPI’s outside of that, your strength of schedule is sunk. Costs vary but I’d say overall, you pick those games very selectively. As for the H/H with Brown, that decision was made before I was admin, but it makes sense for us. It gives us a game in the capital city each year. And Brown is our longest-running rival, so it works out well.
* Call it a change in philosophy and culture of our coaching staff, but we have not actively sought out being bought. Nor is it a contract incentive. Never saying never, if the right opportunity coming along, but as a program we have moved away from it.
* Yes, we’ve proposed and discussed a few H/A/H/A or H/A/A/H with opponents. There have also been a 2/1 deals, but we weren’t able to agree on the return location. Also have talked about straight N/N series - similar to the one we had with Okla. State a few years back. I’m all for 4-year series…it locks in games and makes scheduling a bit less harrowing.
Absolutely. We really wanted the 11th non-conference game to be a neutral-site game, but it just didn’t work. We are already talking about opportunities for 16-17 and beyond.
* Kind of touched on this before but our rule of thumb is a minimum of 60% of your OOC games to be at home.
* Scheduling in areas with large alumni or fan bases is certainly something we consider for non-conference games. We have a large number of alumni bases covered in the A-10.
* For H/H series, we will consider all but have to make sure that it fits in our grid. Topics to consider: date (does it fit?); travel (how are is it to get there?); how good are they (projected RPI, what are they returning, etc.). Some are no-brainers (Nebraska).
* Scheduling’s a two-way street. If there’s a scenario where both teams are on the same page and the game works, it gets scheduled. If not, it doesn’t. That applies to Bryant or any other school. You can’t just assume because you have an opening that you can just pick School A or B. Their schedule might be full. Or they just don’t want to play. (it’s all reminiscent of my high school prom days…) There has been a lot of talk about the four RI schools playing each other and we’re on board with that concept...just need to make sure it works for both teams.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Really good stuff, Mike. Thanks for being accessible and shedding some light on a process that is interesting but usually pretty opaque to fans.

I have a follow-up question if you don't mind: it seems like based on what you said, a lot of the scheduling is done with expectations for the coming season in mind. Last year, the thought was to set up a schedule that would allow for compiling wins and a return to any postseason play, which were badly needed for the program at the time. This year it seems to be to play the RPI game a bit more, with the goal to get back to the Tournament. I'm really encouraged by this, because in either case it seems to be done based on basketball-oriented goals (as opposed to brand/marketing oriented goals). My preference would be to let basketball decisions be influenced by basketball considerations, and let the talented marketing people worry about generating "buzz." Obviously, this also indicates a buy-in to the idea that the best long-term marketing strategy is to have a good product. So my question (sorry for the preamble): how much of a tension is felt during the scheduling process between putting together a schedule that will maximize on-court success versus one that would maximize interest among the fan base (and could result in a more immediate bump in ticket sales, etc.)?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

@TruePoint - It’s a balance. You want to create a schedule that helps you on the court and you want to have fans in the stands. You can’t just look at spreadsheets and RPI’s to create a schedule and you can’t just look for flashy names. Thankfully here at Rhode Island, the "basketball side" understands the importance of having a great crowd and it is a big factor in scheduling. The "marketing side" understands the importance of having a good scheduling strategy. Quite often, they’re both in the same room.

Example: We know the Providence game every other year is going to be a great crowd for us, so a challenge is to find a marquee opponent on those odd years. And it’s safe to assume that a marquee opponent will sell tickets and be a great profile game. Nebraska was a great example of that last year. And we are in search of a similar, high-major opponent for 16-17 (yes, our scheduling for 16-17 has already begun).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Good answer...makes sense. Thanks again.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Thanks for stopping by and providing this inside look at scheduling Mike, it is greatly appreciated.

While you're mentioning 16-17 I don't suppose there's any way you could confirm or deny the Duke @ Mohegan rumor that's been floating around as a part the Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament...
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

@sf2010: we don't have the matchups yet for Mohegan and the tournament generally makes the official announcement of the field in November.

That being said, I would encourage you to stay tuned Nov. 21-22. And then go right to halloffametipoff.com and buy tickets. And then reserve your hotel.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

mlaprey wrote:@sf2010: we don't have the matchups yet for Mohegan and the tournament generally makes the official announcement of the field in November.

That being said, I would encourage you to stay tuned Nov. 21-22. And then go right to halloffametipoff.com and buy tickets. And then reserve your hotel.
Oooooohhhhhhh boy!!!!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I haven't been around recently, but wow I check in and we have Bill Koch doing his annual chime in. Now this! Wow I'm good with basically Rod's musings but these guys are obviously close to the program. A treat to see.

I'm wondering slyscaddy is behind it all!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Do I muse you, SPG?
Attachments
jp.jpg
jp.jpg (12.31 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rodfromcranston wrote:Do I muse you, SPG?

A+ response with the "Goodfellas" reference
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

mlaprey wrote:* Call it a change in philosophy and culture of our coaching staff, but we have not actively sought out being bought. Nor is it a contract incentive. Never saying never, if the right opportunity coming along, but as a program we have moved away from it.
I agree that it probably shouldn't be considered a contract incentive for Dan Hurley, since he is paid $65,000 whether or not the team participates in an annual buy/guarantee game.

Section 3.2.15 of Coach Hurley's contract:
The Coach shall receive that sum of $65,000.00 per Contract Year from receipts of an away game guarantee as determined by the Director of Athletics. The guarantee will not include television revenue. The University agrees that said amount shall be paid to Coach regardless as to whether the Team procured or participates in such game; and shall be due and payable on or before December 31 of each Contract Year. (emphasis added by me)

Hopefully this clarifies this point for those who were familiar with the previous coach's annual buy game philosophy and compensation.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Mike, thank you for coming on here. A couple questions I had:

1. In terms of a final out of conference game or exhibition, is there a "drop dead date" for scheduling it? If we schedule another regular season game could we still schedule an exhibition?
2. Is an announcement of game times imminent? I'm thinking especially of the PC game.
3. I believe last year that the A10 schedule was released at the end of August, are you expecting the timetable for that part of the schedule to be the same this year?
4. Is mini plan information also imminent?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

@RhowdyRam02
- I’d say once we get into that first week of September, then we probably will have made the decision (or have the decision made for us…) that we won’t add the 31st game. But we did add Southern Miss on Sept. 12 two years ago… And we’re still in the market for an exhibition. The two are not tied to each other.

- TV dictates all of our game times, so once the A-10 schedule is released and finalized with TV games, we’ll know more. If the times aren’t given to us by any given TV network, then figure on the usual - 7 p.m. for night games; 2 p.m. for afternoon games.

- Yes, figuring on getting the A-10 schedule in the next two weeks. It’s usually finished in late August.

- We’ve talked about mini-plans in terms of variety - 3- and 5-game packages, a holiday package, etc. A lot of it depends on the finalized A-10 schedule, so once we get that, we will turn the mini-plan info around. There are plenty of really good games to group together - we’re excited to put those on the market.
0 x
NotJuanJones
Jim Eitner

Unread post by NotJuanJones »

An American University fan here. Looking forward to opening night on 11/13. Was checking to see if you knew if this is, as I assume, a one-off guarantee game for us, or if there's any chance this is a 1/1 or 2/1. And, I think it's great that the associate AD is responding to questions from fans.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I would assume it's a 1 off game for a few reasons. The main one being American in a lower conference (Patriot League) and the other being URI already plays a bunch of games in the Washington DC area.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

It's absolutely fantastic that mlaprey is on here providing the fans additional insights to the program. This program continues to move in the right direction and this is just another example of that. The thought of URI vs Duke at Mohegan is just awesome. Wish the program had a Mogehan game every year during x-mas break when the students were away anyway.
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

@notjuanjones - It is a single game for 2015-16. Great to have a high-quality opponent like American on the schedule, one that consistently competes for Patriot League championships.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

mlaprey wrote:@notjuanjones - It is a single game for 2015-16. Great to have a high-quality opponent like American on the schedule, one that consistently competes for Patriot League championships.

Is it the same for the other Patriot League opponent - Holy Cross?

Are these the only two guaranatee games with no returns?

I assume that Cleveland State and Rider are part of the Cancun Challenge with no return. Only difference is that URI is not on the hook for any guarantee.
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

@RF1 - yes, Holy Cross also a single game. Cleveland State and Rider part of the Cancun Challenge, which are essentially guarantees. Many of the MTE formats that do 1 or 2 home games then a neutral site require a fee, which serves as the guarantee for the visiting teams.
0 x
NotJuanJones
Jim Eitner

Unread post by NotJuanJones »

Thanks so much for answering my question. Really appreciate it. From URI's point of view, would you ever consider a 1/1 with AU or PL schools in the future? Would it require a PL school to achieve a level of dominance a la Gonzaga in the WCC?
0 x
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

This is great, thanks Mike.

I've always wondered: how are those secret scrimmages are scheduled? Do we seek out schools with different philosophies like tempo, zone d, etc? Teams that might be strong in a facet of the game the coach thinks we need to work on? Coach to coach relationships?
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Mike is there any discussions at all with UConn? Or are they pretty much out of the question?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

mlaprey wrote:@notjuanjones - It is a single game for 2015-16. Great to have a high-quality opponent like American on the schedule, one that consistently competes for Patriot League championships.
Mike,
Thank you for answering questions here.
Will there be any upcoming news on the Cancun Challenge? Are we to book accommodations through the site?
What possibilities do you see for travel tournaments in 2017, 2018, 2019? Are we currently looking at some options?
Again, thanks.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Mike, you're the man! Thanks for joining the discussion. Nice to know you care enough to touch base with us. You've gone above and beyond while maintaining your professionalism. Thank you.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Mike - Real quick, I'd assume most Big East schools dont want to play URI since they already go to Providence every year right? Or at least must be a tough sell?
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

@notjuanjones - we would consider any and all series...if they fit the date/time/rating continuum. With regard to this year's game, we were only looking for a one year deal. In the future that, it could be a conversation about a series. As a whole, the Patriot League has some very competitive basketball. Think about what AU, Lehigh, Bucknell, etc have done in the NCAA Tournament ...not to mention Holy Cross and Lafayette in the postseason. Great coaches make for great programs/opponents.

@texram - yes, you want to schedule scrimmages strategically. After a stretch of preseason practice where you play your own team for a long stretch - and factor in the way we practice - the scrimmage is a welcome event. The last thing you're looking for is a team sitting back in a matchup zone or junk defense that you're not preparing for in the regular season. So coaches relationships, styles, it all comes into play.

@uch - A series with UConn would be great. It would be exactly the type of series we are in search of. But as I mentioned previously, it has to work for both schools.

@ctrhody - when you look at the A10 and the Big East - and I know our good friends Adam, Vin and Chris at CoxHub recently discussed whether the A10 was a mid-major (author's note: Not. A. Chance.) - and it becomes a difficult situation with scheduling.

First, factor in the 3-4 games from your MTE, then the games from your H/H series (either starting or finishing), and then the 2-3 games you traditionally play (which for us does includes a Big East team). Doesn't leave you with many options.

And for the other Big East teams, what's the draw in coming to Rhode Island? It's not an easy place to get to and, yes, they already make a trip to the capital city.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Great stuff, thanks Mike!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

11/17, 10am, ESPN2

I'm anticipating being struck by an unfortunate illness in the early morning hours of that day.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... -marathon/
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

CANNOT WAIT!! Has to be PACKED!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So awesome, putting in for my vacation day right now. 7am hoops!!!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

East Tennessee State gets the hustle award.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

A10 with three home games for the tip off!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just enough time for the students to get "fired up".
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If they camp out for tickets then they would have plenty of time to get 'fired up'!!!!
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Put in for my vacation day when it was first rumored...
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Maybe the Ryan Center can offer some Bloody Mary's and Eggs Benedict that day. OR even better, make your own waffle in Butterfield.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote:Maybe the Ryan Center can offer some Bloody Mary's and Eggs Benedict that day. OR even better, make your own waffle in Butterfield.
Sounds like a good plan.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wow, Virginia is really visiting the Smith Center at George Washington!
ESPN announced today the full slate of games for its eighth annual Tip-Off Marathon, with GW’s home game vs. Virginia tipping-off the men’s NCAA action. The game will be carried live nationally on ESPN2 at 7:30pm from the Charles E. Smith Center on Monday, November 16th.
http://www.gwsports.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 15aab.html
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Official GoRhody Release on the Valpo ESPN Marathon game:

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0818sw3dk2
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ATPTourFan wrote:Wow, Virginia is really visiting the Smith Center at George Washington!
ESPN announced today the full slate of games for its eighth annual Tip-Off Marathon, with GW’s home game vs. Virginia tipping-off the men’s NCAA action. The game will be carried live nationally on ESPN2 at 7:30pm from the Charles E. Smith Center on Monday, November 16th.
http://www.gwsports.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 15aab.html
Wow, contrary to prevailing excuses, a coach with balls.

And mostly a scenic bus ride, to boot.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote:A10 with three home games for the tip off!!!

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Make it happen!!!!!!

0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:Make it happen!!!!!!

And Dooley would be wise NOT to use it…..

Shutting down a University for a basketball game won't garner the best publicity in a severely financially strapped state, regardless of how little financial support URI actually receives.

Students have the discretion to attend class or not. Time to make big girl/big boy decisions.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

bressler3south wrote:
adam914 wrote:Make it happen!!!!!!

And Dooley would be wise NOT to use it…..

Shutting down a University for a basketball game won't garner the best publicity in a severely financially strapped state, regardless of how little financial support URI actually receives.

Students have the discretion to attend class or not. Time to make big girl/big boy decisions.

If would be equivalent of missing a class or two MAX. A very small sacrifice academically for a big game would still make a positive story.
0 x
GO RAMS
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unfortunately, MOST STUDENTS aren't basketball fans, they're not even "EVENT -- GOTTA BE THERE" people. Also, MOST STUDENTS who attend URI are COMMUTERS, so shutting down the University for a basketball game will not resonate with tax-paying Rhode Islanders. Nothing like this would ever make a "positive story" in Rhode Island, unless PC did it, because it is a private institution PLAYING IN A STATE-SUBSIDIZED ARENA.
See, only here in Rhode Island would that make sense.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

In four years at URI, I only took one class that started before noon. I also didn't go to many classes after the first week until it was time to review for exams. And I came out fiiiiiiiine (depending on who you ask). So to me anyone that wants to go to the game has no legitimate excuse not to be there. They don't have to cancel classes or close the school.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:In four years at URI, I only took one class that started before noon. I also didn't go to many classes after the first week until it was time to review for exams. And I came out fiiiiiiiine (depending on who you ask). So to me anyone that wants to go to the game has no legitimate excuse not to be there. They don't have to cancel classes or close the school.
Wow, TP, thank you for like-minded logical thinking!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sure, you don't NEED to do it. If a kid wants to be there he's going to go either way in most cases. But I think it would be a pretty cool show of support from the school to say "hey don't worry about classes before 2pm on this day" or something like that. Announce it early so everybody can adjust as necessary.

If tax payers want to complain about something as dumb as that then let them have at it. Chances are their minds are already made up anyway and are just looking for something else to bitch about. It'd be worth it if some students decided to come to this game and then had a blast and came back a few more times.
0 x