2015-16 Schedule Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Re: 2015-16 Schedule Discussion

Unread post by ramfan85 »

And it hasn't been a "Sweet Sixteen."
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

As a current student please don't forget that this will be our college football-type opportunity. A morning event means students will want to wake up at 7am to drink before. You all know how URI works, you give us an excuse to drink and we come running with six packs and nips. There will probably be a quasi-tailgate party. The avid student fans will be there, the "want an excuse to drink" fans will be there, and plenty of you will be there.

Needless to say I cannot F****** wait.

P.S. Fuck PC
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

HASwatTeam wrote:As a current student please don't forget that this will be our college football-type opportunity. A morning event means students will want to wake up at 7am to drink before. You all know how URI works, you give us an excuse to drink and we come running with six packs and nips. There will probably be a quasi-tailgate party. The avid student fans will be there, the "want an excuse to drink" fans will be there, and plenty of you will be there.

P.S. Fuck PC
There is hope yet for this generation of college kids. I like your hustle.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Our opponent in Cancun Challenge:

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/11831
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

HASwatTeam wrote:As a current student please don't forget that this will be our college football-type opportunity. A morning event means students will want to wake up at 7am to drink before. You all know how URI works, you give us an excuse to drink and we come running with six packs and nips. There will probably be a quasi-tailgate party. The avid student fans will be there, the "want an excuse to drink" fans will be there, and plenty of you will be there.

P.S. Fuck PC
You, my friend, are doing it right!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

P.S. Fuck PC
Atta boy!
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

TruePoint wrote:

P.S. Fuck PC
Well said. "A New Hope" ain't just a sci-fi flick
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ATPTourFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

P.S. Fuck PC
Well said. "A New Hope" ain't just a sci-fi flick
The best part of this is that he bleeped out "fucking" but PS'd a "fuck." I LOVE the spirit. Booze up boys!!! Can't wait for this game.

Could still be nice enough weather for parking lot tailgaiting....
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha I didnt even catch that. When referring to PC, the fuck must always be explicitly clear.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

For those who liked to get pissed off about URI's scheduling...

Michigan State (yes, that Michigan State) is playing AT NORTHEASTERN in this 2015 non-conference season. And no, I didn't mean to type Northwestern, who they play every year.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:For those who liked to get pissed off about URI's scheduling...

Michigan State (yes, that Michigan State) is playing AT NORTHEASTERN in this 2015 non-conference season. And no, I didn't mean to type Northwestern, who they play every year.
Part of a hockey/basketball double header. It is a novelty event with no real downside for Michigan State, but all in all its a coup for Northeastern. Still, not really something URI could replicate. It isn't like Northeastern thought to call MSU and we didn't, and they were just sitting around waiting for someone to call them.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:For those who liked to get pissed off about URI's scheduling...

You can kind of cherry pick things like that every year though, thanks to the vagueries of the scheduling process, and sometimes teams get stuck taking games they don't want. (Which is how I imagine Michigan State at Northeastern came about, unless maybe it's for the benefit of a coaching relationship or recruit promise.) For comparison's sake, I'm not even sure what the "marquee" home game of the Northeastern 2014-15 schedule would have been. Fairfield? Manhattan? - http://www.gonu.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SGreenwell wrote:

You can kind of cherry pick things like that every year though, thanks to the vagueries of the scheduling process, and sometimes teams get stuck taking games they don't want. (Which is how I imagine Michigan State at Northeastern came about, unless maybe it's for the benefit of a coaching relationship or recruit promise.) For comparison's sake, I'm not even sure what the "marquee" home game of the Northeastern 2014-15 schedule would have been. Fairfield? Manhattan? - http://www.gonu.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Northeastern and Boston University (and even Harvard on occasion) host some big name schools due to their location, large group of opposition alumni in their region, lack of home court advantage, and expected relatively easy victory regardless of homecourt. Rhody has none of these items to help with scheduling. URI has played at both schools in recent years even though they are not typically the type of schools Rhody will travel to. Rhody did so for the same reasons (along with easy travel/proximity).
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Been a while since I've posted, great to be back. Best time of year on the horizon. Anyways, couldn't help but chime in on the MSU post, being that is my other school of fandom. Hockey and Men's Basketball were mentioned, but also the women's team will be playing there as well. All 3 games in one weekend in December, with a return to East Lansing for the 16-17 season. It's just something AD Mark Hollis thought would be a great experience for all of the student-athletes as both basketball teams have never faced each other, and hockey hasn't faced off in 19 years.

From what I've read, the appeal of going to Boston for them was big enough and Northeastern was the most accommodating school to make it happen. Don't read into it as "why didn't URI make something like this happen". It's a collaborative effort across teams/sports for a unique experience over 2 years for both schools. Also last year, they set up a basketball game at Navy on Nov. 14th piggy backed with a football game at Maryland on the 15th. Makes it easy for travel for both the school and fans, despite being an unorthodox place to play.

Enough about that, which bars are opening at what time on the 17th of November?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

BPR2010 wrote:Been a while since I've posted, great to be back. Best time of year on the horizon. Anyways, couldn't help but chime in on the MSU post, being that is my other school of fandom. Hockey and Men's Basketball were mentioned, but also the women's team will be playing there as well. All 3 games in one weekend in December, with a return to East Lansing for the 16-17 season. It's just something AD Mark Hollis thought would be a great experience for all of the student-athletes as both basketball teams have never faced each other, and hockey hasn't faced off in 19 years.

From what I've read, the appeal of going to Boston for them was big enough and Northeastern was the most accommodating school to make it happen. Don't read into it as "why didn't URI make something like this happen". It's a collaborative effort across teams/sports for a unique experience over 2 years for both schools. Also last year, they set up a basketball game at Navy on Nov. 14th piggy backed with a football game at Maryland on the 15th. Makes it easy for travel for both the school and fans, despite being an unorthodox place to play.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mews or Charlie O's opened early that day.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Taylor Swift wrote:
BPR2010 wrote:Been a while since I've posted, great to be back. Best time of year on the horizon. Anyways, couldn't help but chime in on the MSU post, being that is my other school of fandom. Hockey and Men's Basketball were mentioned, but also the women's team will be playing there as well. All 3 games in one weekend in December, with a return to East Lansing for the 16-17 season. It's just something AD Mark Hollis thought would be a great experience for all of the student-athletes as both basketball teams have never faced each other, and hockey hasn't faced off in 19 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mews or Charlie O's opened early that day.
If not them, the Cool Beans coffee shop by the Narragansett Pier area does serve beer and wine. Limited selection, but they open at 8 a.m., heh. Most restaurants in South County open up at 10 or 11, so it might be tight, depending on where you go.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Are we too sophisticated to drink bloody Mary's and eat bacon-egg-cheeses in the parking lot like true Americans?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

At the risk of garnering the wrath of many here......
if you need to get hammered for a 10:00AM basketball game,
you may have a bigger problem.
I mean, I could see it if Jerry D was coaching, and people needed
to get sloshed to even watch his teams.
This team should be entertainment enough, this season, to watch with a clear mind.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rod, I'm getting liquored up for this game!!!!!! Let's set up a tailgate for this game!!!!!! I got some serious problems.... V.A.L.P.O.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ha Rod. If you take the day out of work you might as well enjoy yourself. Couple bloody Mary's is the happy place, not sloshed.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Getting drunk had never been something I've aspired to.
In the morning seems even more bizarre.
I like my wine, but hard stuff? Nope. Don't like it.
My enjoyment of things in life doesn't come from a bottle.
To each his own.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Fine, I'll have your Bloody Mary. Should I still put you down for a bacon-egg-and-cheese?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Not a big bloody mary fan, but I'd be down with a little mimosa morning!

coming from someone who doesn't drink often and almost always enjoys the games straight, but will drink to an exciting win, I think this game is a great excuse to day drink, yeah, not to get wasted but to get a nice zone going and yes especially if I end up taking the day off of work, I'll feel like, 'what the heck, lets make this a real vacation.' It's a celebration of our rising program.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Rod taking a break from trolling Sean Hannity to advocate for a return to Prohibition
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Did I say that?
I just find some people's need to be buzzed to watch
a morning game, a little puzzling.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If I were a student, I might get a little "fired up" before the game. At this point, my morning will consist of some tea and some high fiber cereal. That's what makes me "happy" these days.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

A little change in my game day plans.
We were told that Cranston would have full time kindergarten
finally, this year.
Well, only in three schools and not my granddaughter's school.
Sooooo, I'll be taking little Alexis Liberty with me to see Valpo.
Add one more to the attendance total.
0 x
Ramsey
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramsey »

At the risk of sounding like I need to go to a.a. But since I got to college age, I don't think there's a single uri game I've been to or watched at home or from my old dorm/apartments that I haven't had a couple beers beforehand or during. Not full on party boy New Jersey kid, blacked out running around the rc with a water bottle filled with vodka and a u painted on my chest and a dick painted on my back. I leave that up to the jersey kids but I am a full blooded Rhode Islander who enjoys a couple cocktails whether it's a pats game at 1pm on a Sunday or the pc game at 1pm on a Saturday. The only reason I even make the trip up rt 4 is cuz me and all my buddies and family either meet at trinity brew house or that horrible-beautiful hole in the wall, blakes tavern. That's why I haven't gone recently becuz they've been Wednesday nights. There's nothing that can beat that feeling of uri and pc fans buzzing around the city at 11am, lookin for friendly rhody faces and a stiff bloody before game time. I grew up in prov so ya gotta understand my childhood was sitting in trinity while my father and all of his fellow rhody alums screamed at umass fans before making the trek into what will always be the providence civic center to me.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That was quite a story you just edited out, Ramsey.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I read the same story, I don't think Ramsey meant to have all of that in his post, I kind of expected an editing would come from somebody.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea whoa
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha well now you all have me curious. I missed it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

adam914 wrote:Haha well now you all have me curious. I missed it.
Me too!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Shit even I missed it!

Great story, Ramsey
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It wasn't there for long. Had nothing to do with URI basketball. Only the first part that is still posted had to domwith basketball.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Fordham came out with its schedule. It has one true road game at Texas-Arlington, a game vs Boston College in Brooklyn, and nine home games at Rose Hill Gym. Fordham will play a non D1 opponent as it will host D2 Queens College. The only name opponents are BC and St John's and neither is expected to be any good.

Fordham Men's Basketball 2015-16 OOC schedule

Date Opponent Conference Game Location Time/Result Details
11/14/2015 University of Texas at Arlington Arlington, TX 8:30 PM Details
11/17/2015 Queens College Bronx, NY 7:00 PM Details
11/21/2015 Fairleigh Dickinson University Bronx, NY 2:00 PM Details
11/24/2015 Colgate University Bronx, NY 8:00 PM Details
11/28/2015 Manhattan College Bronx, NY 5:00 PM Details
12/2/2015 St. John's University Bronx, NY 7:00 PM Details
12/5/2015 Central Connecticut State University Bronx, NY 4:00 PM Details
12/8/2015 LIU Brooklyn Bronx, NY 7:00 PM Details
12/13/2015 Coppin State University Bronx, NY 1:00 PM Details
12/19/2015 University of Maine Bronx, NY 2:00 PM Details
12/22/2015 Boston College Brooklyn, NY TBA Details

Link:
http://fordhamsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Win those games, maroon Rams!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah those games will get them ready for the A10 schedule. Not.

If they don't win most of them on that schedule........
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Win or lose, that OOC schedule is an RPI stinker for Fordham and, more importantly, A10 opponents like us.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reckless jake wrote:Win or lose, that OOC schedule is an RPI stinker for Fordham and, more importantly, A10 opponents like us.

It is a stinker from a Fordham SOS perspective. It however might allow them to rack up a good number of wins which could help URI's RPI since we play them twice. The biggest factor (50%) of the RPI is your average opponents winning percentage.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
reckless jake wrote:Win or lose, that OOC schedule is an RPI stinker for Fordham and, more importantly, A10 opponents like us.

It is a stinker from a Fordham SOS perspective. It however might allow them to rack up a good number of wins which could help URI's RPI since we play them twice. The biggest factor (50%) of the RPI is your average opponents winning percentage.
THIS is what I meant. Win those games, Fordham!!
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Except, the reality is Fordham will probably go 4-6 in those OOC games, with a win over D-II Queens College that is meaningless.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They go 4-6 against that group, it's time to consider giving up basketball. In the A10 at least....
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

This is Fordham we're talking about.... In addition to losing badly on a neutral court to both St John's and Manhattan last year, they lost to both Maryland Eastern Shore and UMass Lowell at Rose Hill Gym.

They're not going to beat BC on a neutral court. They're going to struggle with Colgate for sure, probably with LIU and maybe even with FDU.

Sadly, I can see them going 4-6 OOC. I hope I'm wrong. One point we agree upon, they don't belong in the A10.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Starting line up likely to be:
Mandel Thomas
Joseph Chartouny - freshman guard from Canada excellent player
Ryan Rhooms
Christian Sengfelder
Jon Severe

Ryan Canty could start in place of Rhooms
I'd love to have Sengfelder - had solid summer with German team
http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2015/ ... 50522.asps

They have had worse teams and their new Head Coach could turn out to be one of their best hires.
Lower division team for sure but capable of ambushing some A10 teams this year
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

When will the A10 schedule be released?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Should be any day now. Last year it came out August 27th.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

College Sports Madness has predicted many of our upcoming opponents to be in their top 144 teams:

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/men ... 4-previews

2015-16 Opponents in Top 144 thus far
#76 Providence
#83 St Bonaventure
#86 TCU
#87 Houston
#109 LaSalle

Likely still to be named
Richmond
GW
VCU
Dayton
Davidson
ODU
Valpo
UMD/Ill St

It will be key for NCAA selection and seeding for URI to play and beat as many top 100 schools as possible. Let's hope that many of these predictions come true and a few of our other opponents sneak into the top 100 as well. Last season, Rhody had 11 games (counting A-10 Tourney) versus top 100 ROI teams going 4-7. Per this College Sports Madness ranking, we should have 13 games vs the top 100 in the regular season and possibly a few more in the A-10 Tournament.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

We are winning the A10 tournament.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:We are winning the A10 tournament.

Still factors into seeding.
0 x