2015-16 Schedule Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: 2015-16 OOC opponents??

Unread post by bressler3south »

TruePoint wrote:
bressler3south wrote:Why is it that people think that URI can't get big boy teams to play at the Ryan Center or that they won't invite the Rams to their gyms? Other perennial Top-25 schools do it all the time, playing each other, and Top 26-50 teams are part of that scene, too.
The problem is we are not a perennial Top 25 team yet. Teams just aren't going to take risks with their schedule for a team that could beat them on any given night but could finish 125th. We haven't shaken that yet, reputation wise.
No, URI is not a Top-25 team, but it is on the rise, say a Top-65 team, and it is led by a "name coach." How did PC get to play Kentucky? They were in a better "on-the-rise trajectory" than URI.
"Other" was a reference to "Big Boy Teams" and could have been written better. The point is this: People overrate other coaches pissing their pants that their teams go into a match-up believing that they're going to lose to an upstart. They go into games thinking, How am I going to prepare my team to win? Not, "Oooooh, if I lose to URI I'm not going to get a contract extension worth $10,000,000,000." If the latter were the case, that coach is a loser and a goner.
When CFL led URI to its annual race to a 14-1 record and always fell short in match-ups against Duke, et al., and the most-important NCAA bid, I remember Krzyzewski saying something to the effect of: "Not only do you have to start out the season well, but you have to sustain it and finish better."
Schedules are made upon the foundations of relationships amongst the coaches, (head coaches, and likewise, their assistants) and the athletic directors' offices. This is what baffled me, pissed me off, and frustrated me beyond belief when I read on more than a few occasions the URI coaches bemoaning how difficult it is to create a schedule and having to go online, etc.
Are you telling me that amongst all of the people in the Athletic Department/Basketball Staff, that there aren't enough friendships/strong relationships to get the ball rolling?
I've stated it before: Do the Jon Chaney/Calipari UMass Thing: Anytime, Anywhere.
Gonzaga does it.
Whatever………..
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I more or less agree, but I'm just giving you the reason why executing the strategy is harder than saying it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think there might be a difference between us and Gonzaga...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I may be off base here, but I think Dan has been trying to get home-and-homes against top 50's.

For URI, that's tough. When we become a perennial top 50 team, then it will be easier.

For now, getting one-offs on the road is probably going to have to suffice.

We've got to prove we can win some of those games. It still hasn't happened.

This is the season it needs to start.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:I think there might be a difference between us and Gonzaga...
I know you're in drought conditions out there in San Diego, Adam, maybe lack of water has affected the thought process, but Gonzaga wasn't always a basketball powerhouse. 99% of the people who read the school's name didn't even know how to pronounce it -- a better knowledge of the school started with the beginning of its basketball success.
(The first part about H2O conditions was a joke, a poor one at that, but a joke. I really enjoy reading the 914's posts -- gives me "eine bessere Weltanschauung!)
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Maryland being a must win when Maryland isn't even a scheduled game of ours. Baffling.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'll try and be succinct in this debate. At large bids are based on the resume of a team and the strength of wins against VERY good teams. I'm not talking about being on the bubble and must wins to get in. I'm talking about must wins to secure an at large bid early in the season. Last year if we beat pc and Kansas, we would have been projected to be in. The games I am saying we must win to secure an at large bid are those against any top 25-50 team in the country. Duke, Mich St, NC, UConn, Va etc. So maybe it's semantics and a different view from what I think are must wins. Come January, if we are not projected to be in the tournament(which I don't expect and certainly hope isn't the case) I will point out the exact game( or lack thereof) that has us out of consideration.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote:I'll try and be succinct in this debate. At large bids are based on the resume of a team and the strength of wins against VERY good teams. I'm not talking about being on the bubble and must wins to get in. I'm talking about must wins to secure an at large bid early in the season. Last year if we beat pc and Kansas, we would have been projected to be in. The games I am saying we must win to secure an at large bid are those against any top 25-50 team in the country. Duke, Mich St, NC, UConn, Va etc. So maybe it's semantics and a different view from what I think are must wins. Come January, if we are not projected to be in the tournament(which I don't expect and certainly hope isn't the case) I will point out the exact game( or lack thereof) that has us out of consideration.
With many things better to do on a beautiful May 24th Sunday morning, yes, even at 6:15, in support of theblueram, I have posted the known URI opponents'/potential opponents' RPI and SOS from last season…..

OOC
  • Maine 338 179
    Rider 144 296
    Brown 245 178
    Houston 239 164
    PC 23 5
    TCU 129 110
    Maryland 12 55
    Cleve. St. 130 138
    Nebraska 153 53
    Illinois St. 66 63

Ave. RPI 147.9
    Ave. SOS 124.1

A-10

VCU 14 9
    Dayton 32 113
    Davidson 33 122
    Richmond 59 31
    UMass 80 36
    GW 83 168
    La Salle 97 58
    St. Bona. 116 147
    St. Joe's 182 103
    Duquesne 221 106
    G. Mason 223 54
    Fordham 240 85
    St. Louis 271 131

Ave. RPI 127
    Ave. SOS 89.4
While I know that conditions, expectations, etc., are subject to change the numbers are not pretty -- especially for the A-10. A few of the top teams are going to be far worse than last season, a few at the middle will fall either way, and perhaps only St. Louis will be better from the bottom.
Yes, it's way too early, but it's never too early.
One game-at-a-time, take care of your own business, the rest should take care of itself.
For teams like URI, it's like an NFL season, just twice as many games.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well this excuse has been used before, but we have 7 new players, and there may be some bumps in the OOC part of the schedule.

This should be the last year for that excuse though. Starting in 2016, there will be much less turnover.

Even having said that, the OOC part of our schedule should be better than last year, as long as the 4 as yet unannounced games are solid RPI wise.

The A10 should be better too, as long as there aren't too many bad losses in the OOC, as there were last season. You can go team by team, and I think more will be better than will be worse. Dayton imo should be the conference favorite going in, with Davidson and us not far behind.

Still overall as a group so far, the 9 OOC games aren't so hot.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Thing about college is that turnover is the name of the game.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Did I miss the Illinios state agreement? Home and home? First year away or home?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Illinois State plays Maryland in Cancun, so it's a possibility that we'll face them if they beat Maryland, or if we lose to TCU.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I know that this thread is for OOC opponents but maybe we can change the title to the overall schedule now that we are getting more information about the entire schedule.... Or we could break this off as a new thread

Out of Conference (13 games):

SUN 11/15/2015 - Maine
SAT 11/21/2015 - Cleveland State*

TUE 11/24/2015 - TCU#
WED 11/25/2015 - Illinois St or Maryland#
SUN 11/29/2015 - Rider*
SAT 12/5/2015 - Providence
TUE 12/8/2015 - Houston

SUN 12/13/2015 - Nebraska
TBD - Brown
TBD -
TBD -
TBD -
TBD -

* - Home games as part of Cancun Challenge
# - Neutral court - Cancun Challenge
Home games in BOLD

Conference (18 games):

Home (9 games):
TBD - Duquesne
TBD - George Mason
TBD - Richmond
TBD - Saint Louis
TBD - Dayton
TBD - Fordham
TBD - LaSalle
TBD - Massachusetts
TBD - Saint Joseph’s

Away (9 games):
TBD - Davidson
TBD - George Washington
TBD - St. Bonaventure
TBD - VCU
TBD - Dayton
TBD - Fordham
TBD - LaSalle
TBD - Massachusetts
TBD - Saint Joseph’s
0 x
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Re: 2015-16 Schedule Discussion

Unread post by zporiri »

Is SOS/RPI effected by the location of games? In particular, will playing Davidson, GW and VCU on the road and winning be more beneficial than if we had beaten them at home?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

yes

road wins are worth 1.4 wins and home wins are worth 0.6 wins and neutral wins are worth 1.0 wins
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

zporiri wrote:Is SOS/RPI effected by the location of games? In particular, will playing Davidson, GW and VCU on the road and winning be more beneficial than if we had beaten them at home?
The answer to your first question is yes. Your second question (about whether losing on the road is more beneficial than winning at home) is a bit trickier. The formula gives you 0.6 wins for a home win and 0.6 losses for a road loss (1.4 wins/losses for road/home), but a loss always has a negative impact on WP and a win always has a positive impact on WP. So really the way to look at it is that a road win is better than a home win, and a road loss is less bad than a home loss, but winning is always better than losing for the purposes of calculating the component of the formula that is based on your winning percentage.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Beating a couple of the top tier teams in our league on the road sure would help.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm hearing we have a home and home with Old Dominion......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ODU would be a good series.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah ODU would be great!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Would be a scheduling win for sure, but would also be a rock fight. ODU was very much like us last year: finished at the top of a good conference (2nd - CUSA) on the strength of a great defense (8th nationally) and a terrible offense (224th nationally). Interestingly, they also ended their season with a loss to Stanford in the NIT.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Excellent if true.....strength of schedule is looking up.....
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My sources indicate we travel there to play this year and they come here next.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The A10 already covers that area pretty well itself, but it's always good to get games with teams in areas where you have recruiting ties.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Andy Katz speaks briefly about URI and the A10 schedule release in the below link...

(Fast forward to 2:45)

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Thanks for sharing. Katz is right- both that it would be nice to see the best teams play each other twice and that it's difficult to work out.

And 750,000 for an assistant coach? Must be nice.

DiSano's article above is, as usual, really good. He understands what scheduling for a team like URI is like. I hope it works out for him to broadcast more games next year.
Last edited by ace 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I would love if we could play Sparty next year. That would be a game I would travel to.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My sister's sister in law is good friends with Izzo. She's a prof at Michigan St.

I'll ask her if she'll put in a good word or two for us, when the family gets together in a few weeks.....

you never know..... :P
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

EC would love that!!!!
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

Last year someone posted a site that had all the D1 BB teams that were looking for games to schedule. if anyone has the name of the site please post it. Was a very interesting site that had team openings and what they were looking for. Seemed like it was only for the coaches or ADs that were trying to make out their schedules for their teams.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think it was basketballtravelers.com, but when I've tried to check it lately it doesn't seem like average fans can access it anymore.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyrob wrote:Last year someone posted a site that had all the D1 BB teams that were looking for games to schedule. if anyone has the name of the site please post it. Was a very interesting site that had team openings and what they were looking for. Seemed like it was only for the coaches or ADs that were trying to make out their schedules for their teams.
The site, part of Basketball Travelers, now requires a login. It's no longer open to the public.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Maybe they can add Holy Cross and Dartmouth while they're at it.

I know Hurley and co are trying but that home schedule so far is god awful. And Houston was absolutely terrible last year.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So far, Cleveland State and Rider are out of their control. Maine would be fine as an early season game. Providence is a great home game, and if you can get an American conference team to play you at home (and away), you do it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rothstein confirmed the Old Dominion games.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Added Old Dominion.... removed Maine (heard it's not happening)

Out of Conference (13 games):

SAT 11/21/2015 - Cleveland State*
TUE 11/24/2015 - TCU#
WED 11/25/2015 - Illinois St or Maryland#
SUN 11/29/2015 - Rider*
SAT 12/5/2015 - Providence
TUE 12/8/2015 - Houston

SUN 12/13/2015 - Nebraska
TUE 12/22/2015 - Old Dominion
TBD - Brown
TBD -
TBD -
TBD -
TBD -

* - Home games as part of Cancun Challenge
# - Neutral court - Cancun Challenge
Home games in BOLD

Conference (18 games):

Home (9 games):
TBD - Duquesne
TBD - George Mason
TBD - Richmond
TBD - Saint Louis
TBD - Dayton
TBD - Fordham
TBD - LaSalle
TBD - Massachusetts
TBD - Saint Joseph’s

Away (9 games):
TBD - Davidson
TBD - George Washington
TBD - St. Bonaventure
TBD - VCU
TBD - Dayton
TBD - Fordham
TBD - LaSalle
TBD - Massachusetts
TBD - Saint Joseph’s
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The difficulties of scheduling-

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The home schedule is quite underwhelming, especially with the season most are forecasting for us. Let's hope we get one or two more quality home games.
0 x
Go Rhody
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I'd be down for a SFA/URI matchup. Home and home, we'll go there Wednesday, 12/16 after we play at Nebraska.

Hurley, stop taking the summer off and make it happen!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote: Hurley, stop taking the summer off
I dare you to say that to his face. :)
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ace wrote:
sf2010 wrote: Hurley, stop taking the summer off
I dare you to say that to his face. :)
Should be easy to find him, right? I'm sure he's at home in EG all the time! ;)
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

sf2010 wrote:I'd be down for a SFA/URI matchup. Home and home, we'll go there Wednesday, 12/16 after we play at Nebraska.

Hurley, stop taking the summer off and make it happen!
I'd be okay with that
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Actually, he doesn't live in EG anymore.
They moved to Saunderstown, last month.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody15 wrote:The home schedule is quite underwhelming, especially with the season most are forecasting for us. Let's hope we get one or two more quality home games.
I am just glad PC is a homegame on a SATURDAY NIGHT :D :D So much for that weekday night B.S.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I know PC is scheduled to be on a Saturday, but is it confirmed to be a night game?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Probably not, but it won't be before noon....
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Taylor Swift wrote:Probably not, but it won't be before noon....
Here we go again, attempting to figure out the optimum tip-off time for the students, and all of the incentives to get them there……..
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I would think this year they can announce this game as a 7am tip off time and it will be SRO.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Can you imagine how drunk the students would be for a 7am tip? Just standing in line all night with nothing else to do? Hmm...
0 x