2015 NIT

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: 2015 NIT

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

PeterRamTime wrote:Iona will really be tough. If they were in the dance they'd be threatening to do some Cinderella shit. But they aren't going to like going against our defense.
We are probably in the easiest bracket. Still there are some good teams in this tournament. All of the one seeds except Richmond are tournament teams in my eyes. Especially Colorado State and Temple. No question. Miami destroyed Duke at Duke!
Colorado State could be the best of all the Rams actually.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Billyboy78 wrote:With students being on break, what is everybody's expectations for attendance for this game?
How many people read the board on a daily basis??????
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:So, Adam, you think going to Stanford is nothing to bitch about?
Really?
Also, went on GO RHODY after they sent an email to go ahead and order.
To order additional tickets, you have to wait and call the box office
tomorrow.
WTF!
I honestly am not sure why its such a big deal, no. We have all these conversations all the time about wanting to play games against P5 schools, play better teams, play anybody/anywhere. Now we are being given the opportunity to do that if we win a home game. Granted, not in the regular season, not by their choice and all that...but we have the chance to go play on the road against a P5 school and beat them and now we don't wanna do it because it takes a long time to get there?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Kids also have no school this week. No classes to worry about, should be able to get some rest.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is probably no worse than Arizona State in the 1st round. They just found out they play at UConn on Wednesday night. They have to travel pretty far for that game.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

adam914 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:So, Adam, you think going to Stanford is nothing to bitch about?
Really?
Also, went on GO RHODY after they sent an email to go ahead and order.
To order additional tickets, you have to wait and call the box office
tomorrow.
WTF!
I honestly am not sure why its such a big deal, no. We have all these conversations all the time about wanting to play games against P5 schools, play better teams, play anybody/anywhere. Now we are being given the opportunity to do that if we win a home game. Granted, not in the regular season, not by their choice and all that...but we have the chance to go play on the road against a P5 school and beat them and now we don't wanna do it because it takes a long time to get there?
Logical…..
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Got mine
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The NIT is run like a real tournament so I have no complaints. Let's not forget when URI won at BC and it was announced after the game that URI would get a home game. Oops never mind. Majerus must've complained. At least now there are seedings and the higher seed gets the home game.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What sick asshole dreamed up a format that has an East Coast team having to travel 3,000 miles for their next game,
if they win, and then another trip back to Colorado, if we beat Stanford?
Just idiotic.
Do these bozos know anything about geography? This isn't the NCAA,
it's the "Who even knows who won last year?" NIT.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

In case that wasn't rhetorical, Minnesota beat SMU.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Except the seedings are as wacky as the NCAA's.

Richmond a one? Uh huh......
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With all that travel, it's like the NIT wants to make sure we don't get to NYC....

I can understand one long trip, but 2?
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Let's win first, then we can worry about travel. The focus should be on having more points than Iona when the buzzer hits 00:00 on Tuesday night.
0 x
Go Rhody!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I am satisfied with the bracket. I am happy to see Stanford in the crosshairs for round 2 fail that we get 2 home games, not bad.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Anybody. Anywhere. This is GREAT experience.

This tournament is about building for next season. Postseason play, power conference teams, good teams, road environments - all building for the facial Hurley and Co are going to put on the field of 68 next season.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not knocking their decision to not play to pay, but there are a lot of solid programs that aren't playing anymore

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
URI96 wrote:Probably because they beat VCU twice which is better than any win we have.
So at what point does the whole season matter more than two games? Taking it all the way to its logical extreme, what if they went 2-28 and beat VCU twice? Would that matter?
Hey, if we went 1-28 but that 1 was against that hideous disgusting institution that shall not be named I'd consider it a good season.

+1
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Where are you coming up with 2 home games?
Stanford has seven players 6'8" to 6'11". Not getting
the glee over Stanford in Palo Alto.
Anybody anywhere when you have the guns to do it.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Where are you coming up with 2 home games?
Stanford has seven players 6'8" to 6'11". Not getting
the glee over Stanford in Palo Alto.
Anybody anywhere when you have the guns to do it.
Rod, if you were replying to me. I come up with either Stanford or a second home game if Stanford gets upset in the first round. I want a chance at a win that would be a good benchmark victory so am happy to see Stanford sitting there. I also like home games even though I am living in Dallas and can not get to any.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Beating Stanford will require us to shoot jumpers, and make them.

Inside game? There won't be any, from our standpoint.

Fortunately all those tall guys aren't really that good, well Arizona good anyway.

Let's hope they don't give a shit, and lose their 1st round game. Could happen.

Of course we're getting ahead of ourselves. Iona will want to make a statement Tuesday night, I doubt they will roll over for us.

Then Colorado State there? Who said we had the easiest bracket?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, is Stanford the 2 seed?
I just want to punch the shit out of someone,
right now.
The email and flier from URI had lead me to believe that the first two games
would be here, instead of one and ???????
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:Not knocking their decision to not play to pay, but there are a lot of solid programs that aren't playing anymore

Pretty nice to know these teams would love to trade places with URI and play in the NIT - some big names there
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That's because the NIT decided to make conference winners, who didn't go
to the NCAAs automatic invitees.
I'd rather see those names in the NIT than some of the snoozers
that are in.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That's a little reductive. You could say the same thing about the NCAA tournament. The point is that Rhode Island was good enough to be an at-large NIT bid, and a lot of other quality programs were not.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That is the point
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That is also the type of thought process that could contribute to teams like Texas and UCLA getting invites over schools from non-P5 conference. Name brands aren't everything. Those teams that won their leagues should be rewarded rather than just reflexively inviting an underachieving team with brand recognition. Florida sucks this year. They deserve nothing.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rodfromcranston wrote:So, is Stanford the 2 seed?
I just want to punch the shit out of someone,
right now.
The email and flier from URI had lead me to believe that the first two games
would be here, instead of one and ???????
I guess what they meant was that the "Rams" were the home team in game 2
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

At the risk of redundancy, here is the complete bracket

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ewable_nit
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

2015 NIT Experimental Rules

Unread post by RF1 »

All 2015 NIT games will also include two experimental rules. Teams will compete using a 30-second shot clock instead of the current 35-second shot clock. The 31 games of the NIT will also have a four-foot restricted-area arc as opposed to the current three-foot arc.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I really like the 30 second shot clock change. I hope that one sticks, and it sounds like it has a good chance to.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Something to think about which may or may not mean anything ...

If URI and Stanford win, URI should play at Stanford in Round 2.

However, it appears Stanford/Maple Pavillion are hosting the NCAA Women's Tournament First and Second Rounds.

What does this mean?

It likely either means a Thursday/Friday Round 2 Game in California scheduled around the women's teams practices and preparation, or a moved home game.

I'm sure this has happened several times but the most recent one I can remember is the 2013 Baylor Bears. They played Arizona St. on Friday night, and couldn't host another game until the following Wednesday when PC went to Waco.

Just something worth monitoring for those glass-half-full hoping for a second (or potentially third if they win) home game.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Something to think about which may or may not mean anything ...

However, it appears Stanford/Maple Pavillion are hosting the NCAA Women's Tournament First and Second Rounds.

What does this mean?

It likely either means a Thursday/Friday Round 2 Game in California scheduled around the women's teams practices and preparation, or a moved home game.

I'm sure this has happened several times but the most recent one I can remember is the 2013 Baylor Bears. They played Arizona St. on Friday night, and couldn't host another game until the following Wednesday when PC went to Waco.

Just something worth monitoring for those glass-half-full hoping for a second (or potentially third if they win) home game.
Or the low seed gets the home game. That is why Robert Morris hosted Kentucky, Stony Brook hosted Illinois, and Providence hosted Miami in the NIT a few years back. The home venues of the Wildcats, Illini, and Hurricanes were unavailable.

As for Stanford, keep in mind that the 2nd round is spread over FOUR dates (March 20-23) so there is much more wiggle room for scheduling.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Re: : 2015 NIT

Unread post by scine20 »

adam914 wrote:
McRam wrote:As much as I want revenge on Stanford, this is a royal f...ing. Emotinally and physically drained team that needs to play in two days on Tues and if we win, travel across the country for a game on Thursday. I wonder how many of the glory teams traveled across country and won that game. Compare that to Richmond, who is home for all.

This format is beyond stupid. The bottom line is that they want a Pac 10 team in Madison Square Garden.
Well first off I don't think the game would be Thursday, where did you see that? I see Round 2 as being Friday-Monday, so for all we know it could be Monday.
I think the games on Tuesday would be Friday or Saturday and then if they win they'd play again next Tuesday. I think the ones on Wednesday would be Sun/Mon and then Thursday.
Last edited by scine20 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

RF1 wrote:It is probably no worse than Arizona State in the 1st round. They just found out they play at UConn on Wednesday night. They have to travel pretty far for that game.
And if they win that they get to likely go to Richmond.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Does the NIT own airline stock?
0 x
Rhodyfan22
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyfan22 »

I live near rider college. I go every year when they play IONA. Iona is usually a collection of under the radar guys and transfers. David Laury could be a match up nightmare for us. Hes the maac poy. Haas will have his hands full. AJ English is a stud guard too. This team shoots the 3 as well as anyone in the country. Had they not get upset in the title game. They would be a very huge 12 over 5 pick this week in the NCAAS.

They are a very athletic team that gets out and runs. They nearly won their NIT game last yr on the road @ La Tech. Believe they lost in OT.

But as stated earlier, they play little to no defense. They only play one big guy, who is almost like a point forward in Laury. I'm not sure who gil will be able to cover.

Was really hoping URI was in Temples side, so I would be able to go. Plus it would be a old A10 matchup. Oh well.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote:In case that wasn't rhetorical, Minnesota beat SMU.
Yes, and there has been a lot of talk about SMU using their finals appearance from last year's NIT as a springboard into this year's success. That's what the NIT is supposed to be about, which is why I'm beyond excited that URI is in it right now.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhodyfan22 wrote:I live near rider college. I go every year when they play IONA. Iona is usually a collection of under the radar guys and transfers. David Laury could be a match up nightmare for us. Hes the maac poy. Haas will have his hands full. AJ English is a stud guard too. This team shoots the 3 as well as anyone in the country. Had they not get upset in the title game. They would be a very huge 12 over 5 pick this week in the NCAAS.

They are a very athletic team that gets out and runs. They nearly won their NIT game last yr on the road @ La Tech. Believe they lost in OT.

But as stated earlier, they play little to no defense. They only play one big guy, who is almost like a point forward in Laury. I'm not sure who gil will be able to cover.

Was really hoping URI was in Temples side, so I would be able to go. Plus it would be a old A10 matchup. Oh well.
I like it. Sounds like the exact type of team we can smother and frustrate by slowing the game down.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

As far as attendance goes, it will be interesting to see which game draws more fans - our game or uconn/arizona state.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I can't get to weeknight games without serious schedule rearrangement which generally requires some notice at work and home, I'm bummed I can't go tomorrow night, wish I could bolster attendance by at least one.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote:Not knocking their decision to not play to pay, but there are a lot of solid programs that aren't playing anymore

Most all teams from the top 10 conferences refused invites if they did not make either the NCAA or NIT. The only Power-5 team not to do so was Colorado from the PAC12 and the only other high level league team was Pepperdine out of the WCC. Both are in the 16 team CBI. The CIT, as in the past, is completely made up of low profile mid-majors.

CBI Bracket
http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/ ... racket.pdf

CIT Field (no set bracket)
http://www.collegeinsider.com/tournamen ... esults.php
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I feel bad for Yale. They nearly won the Ivy out right (and NCAA bid) save for a few bad plays at the end of regulation up at Dartmouth. they then lose a close tie-breaker game to Harvard for the NCAA bid. They have a record of 20-10 which included a win at UConn and an RPI of #64. They were not invited to the NIT and are in no post season tournament. They were so close to the NCAA but instead come up with nothing.
0 x
Rhodyfan22
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyfan22 »

The NIT can be very a good spring board for a young team. Or a team that has never experienced post season play.

Some hate the NIT, and it doesn't interest them. For a team like Rhody who hasn't been to the NCAAS since 99 I understand that. I don't bash the ppl that feel that way. Esp since we have had several trips to the NIT over that time period.

But I'm very interested in this. But I am a bball junkie. Games are on national TV. A chance to play high level programs. Hopefully a trip to MSG.

It was a pleasure to watch this team play this year. I don't know why anyone would not want to see them play more games. I know the goal by many was the NCAAS. But that was a long shot, esp looking at how close Dayton came to missing out. Maybe we weren't as close as we thought.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Iona has a super freshman PG, Schadrac Casimir.
Guy is bug quick, a great shooter. Scored 40 points
in a December game.
As far as the NIT being a jumping off point, not always.
Minnesota won it last year, and went nowhere this season,
under Pitino Jr.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I agree nothing is promised. URI had a rpi of 40 in 2010 and is listed on a ESPN article as being the lowest RPI to not be invited for that year in a article highlighting those kinds of things.

I was impressed by IONA and Manhattan. Iona will be a tough game. I am excited to see our guys play more.

I am scared for Hassan. I don't want his knees to be an issue for the next two years. I hope he isnt damaging them for the NIT.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RF1 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

Or the low seed gets the home game. That is why Robert Morris hosted Kentucky, Stony Brook hosted Illinois, and Providence hosted Miami in the NIT a few years back. The home venues of the Wildcats, Illini, and Hurricanes were unavailable.

As for Stanford, keep in mind that the 2nd round is spread over FOUR dates (March 20-23) so there is much more wiggle room for scheduling.
Yes sorry, that is what I meant to imply.

I'm sure you guys remember the rumblings - Believe KY/Rupp was hosting the men's tournament, and rumors were that because the Dunk was being used for a cheerleading competition that if Kentucky were to have won, PC would have hosted Kentucky at the Ryan Center. However, because of the complications with Baylor and them not having a home court until Wednesday due to the women's tournament, PC was able to squeeze in a last minute home game at the Dunk Monday night against Robert Morris, a move that probably cost them any chance at an NIT Final 4 because they were simply worn down from the game/tough travel out to Waco and got abused down the stretch.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2015 NIT Experimental Rules

Unread post by McRam »

RF1 wrote:All 2015 NIT games will also include two experimental rules. Teams will compete using a 30-second shot clock instead of the current 35-second shot clock. The 31 games of the NIT will also have a four-foot restricted-area arc as opposed to the current three-foot arc.
What logic could there possibly be to "experiment" in a post season "reward" tournament. This is not the time to experiment with rule changes. This is the culmination of the season, the rules for the season should be the rules for the tournament.

Oh, I forgot, logic is not a prerequisite for the NCAA.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Something to think about which may or may not mean anything ...

What does this mean?

This is a really interesting point!

I wonder what the rules (if there are any) say.

Does the second round game have to be played when the bracket says it does.?

Does the "home" game have to be played in the home court of the hosting team, or can they move it to the local YMCA?

Does the opposing team have to agree to any of the changes?

I assume someone on Thorr's staff is looking into these questions right now.

(Does someone have access to Thorr to ask him these questions.)
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

One of the more interesting parts of the Iona game is that virtually all of their players are from Metro Ny and most from New Jersey.

The hope of course is that DH is very familiar with them and with the help of Dad, Rhody will have some first hand scouting insights.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Here's some good news.
I called the box office at The Ryan Center.
They said the ticket sales were going very well.
So well, that I couldn't get the seat next to me (where hardly anyone
sat all season), so I took two rows up.
They are trying to loop people into buying THREE games. I get why, but.
since after Tuesday, we'd likely wind up in Palo Alto, I said I'd
wait until we definitely were playing at home.
GO, RHODY!
0 x