VCU vs Fordham

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

VCU vs Fordham

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fordham up 27-22 in first half with 3:30 to go.
If VCU loses, I think they don't get in the tournament.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: VCU vs Fordham

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody83 wrote:Fordham up 27-22 in first half with 3:30 to go.
The committee doesn't look at last 12 games any more. A loss would give them a mid 20's RPI with an SOS in the top 20.

1-2 vs top 25, 3-3 vs top 50, 7-3 vs 51-100.

No way they don't get in.

That said, I'm excited if my team's name goes up against them on selection sunday.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Fordham up 27-22 in first half with 3:30 to go.
The committee doesn't look at last 12 games any more. A loss would give them a mid 20's RPI with an SOS in the top 20.

1-2 vs top 25, 3-3 vs top 50, 7-3 vs 51-100.

No way they don't get in.

That said, I'm excited if my team's name goes up against them on selection sunday.
They don't look at last ten, anymore, but they do look at injuries. If VCU loses to Fordham and still gets in, the committee loses any right to use injuries in seeding or inclusion because VCU is absolutely not tournament worthy without Weber.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

And this is a perfect example of why the committee should look beyond RPI and strength of schedule. I understand why they're doing what they're doing, it's to get teams to schedule more ambitious out of conference schedules. That said, VCU is just not a tournament worthy team without Weber.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

The Selection Committee is given guidelines not a binding contract. That does not exclude members from thinking. If otherwise, computer models would be solely used and there would be no use for any member to be there…...
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Oh, yeah: prediction that Fordham would be right there til the end is looking good….at the moment.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

I'm usually a big stats guy but VCU is a case where their RPI is meaningless. With Weber and a fully healthy Graham they are a tournament team. Without Weber and with a hobbled Graham, they stink. The committee should take into account what their team is like TODAY, not what an essentially different team did 3 months ago. If VCU makes it, I'll be penciling in their opponent on every single one of my brackets.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agree that VCU is barely (if at all) tournament worthy from what I've seen since Weber got injured. However, we want A10 teams in the tournament.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

If you keep VCU out though it opens pandora's box.

What if Okafor tears his ACL tonight - do you not put Duke in? What if Dunn hurts his shoulder again, is PC out?

I agree they suck right now - but the committee made a point that all games count.

What if a really shitty team goes on a run and wins a bunch of games at the end but doesn't get the auto bid, does the season only count in the last few weeks because they're good all of a sudden?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unlike Duke or PC in your example, we have enough of a body of work that shows VCU isn't tournament worthy at this point.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Agree that VCU is barely (if at all) tournament worthy from what I've seen since Weber got injured. However, we want A10 teams in the tournament.
Normally we'd want all possible teams in the tournament, and there's a money component that would be helpful, but would VCU getting in then getting smacked badly in the first round hurt our conference's image, and if so, should we want VCU to get in?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

LETS EFFIN GO FORDDHAM

THIS CIULD BE HUGE

PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE

KEEEP HOPE ALIVE
KEEEP HOPE ALIVE
KEEEP HOPE ALIVE
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Unlike Duke or PC in your example, we have enough of a body of work that shows VCU isn't tournament worthy at this point.
While I agree 100% with you on the reasons why VCU shouldn't be in, or that they will lose easy in the first round... I just don't see the committee keeping them out.

That and we all want them in. Another A10 team is a bigger pot of money for the conference.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

VCU OUT could open the door for URI

COULD I SAID

don't jump down my throat ATP.. LOL

:)
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:LETS EFFIN GO FORDDHAM

THIS CIULD BE HUGE

PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE

KEEEP HOPE ALIVE
KEEEP HOPE ALIVE
KEEEP HOPE ALIVE
How exactly is Fordham winning a good thing for URI other than the fact that it helps their SOS? They wouldn't see VCU until the finals anyways.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

If anything we want VCU in. I'd rather face them in the finals.

This game has zero relevance for us. If VCU doesn't get in that hurts us and the conference.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:If you keep VCU out though it opens pandora's box.

What if Okafor tears his ACL tonight - do you not put Duke in? What if Dunn hurts his shoulder again, is PC out?

I agree they suck right now - but the committee made a point that all games count.

What if a really shitty team goes on a run and wins a bunch of games at the end but doesn't get the auto bid, does the season only count in the last few weeks because they're good all of a sudden?
No. You don't keep Duke out. Unless he tore his ACL with 12 games left then they played like the #200 team in the country. If the committee doesn't want to factor in injuries, fine. MLB doesn't. If Tom Brady gets hurt in week 17, they don't take away a playoff spot. But, they have made it explicitly clear that they do look at them. So, if you do, you can't possibly put VCU in. 12 games is enough to see it is a terrible team.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

3 teams from a10
davidosn
Dayton
VCU

VCU loses - uri to finals

and we could steal the 3rd bid

DREAM BIG
I DO
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ElmCityRhody wrote:3 teams from a10
davidosn
Dayton
VCU

VCU loses - uri to finals

and we could steal the 3rd bid

DREAM BIG
I DO
The enormity of how bad this post is on so many levels makes us all look bad.

There isn't a set 3 bid minimum for the A10. They don't just say "oh the A10 gets 3 bids, I guess we'll give this to URI."

The fact that anyone needs it explained to them that there is no chance that URI is an at large bid at this point is unbelievable. Just root for us to win the finals.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Come on blue ram

It was a "dream"

Was mostly tongue in cheek

All good tho

You are a great fan

Have fun in Brooklyn

Bring it home !
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is good for URI and the A-10 to have VCU advance. There should be no doubt that VCU is in the field as they cannot now have a bad tournament loss. VCU is currently 23-9 with an RPI of 20. Their worst loss of the season was on the road to above .500 team St. Bonaventure when they were without two of their starters. They have wins over NCAA bound Oregon, Northern Iowa, Cincinnati, and Davidson. Most of their losses were to likely NCAA teams - Villanova, Virginia, ODU, Dayton, Davidson. Even with their injuries, they have won five of their last eight games.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Well, I was wrong with my ever-growing gut…gut-feeling, too. Fordham played well, despite not having their best player.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ElmCityRhody wrote:Come on blue ram

It was a "dream"

Was mostly tongue in cheek

All good tho

You are a great fan

Have fun in Brooklyn

Bring it home !
Wow, I didn't even post and I'm a great fan :lol:
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Ha- I'm not having a good day !

DUQUESNE !

Wait, I'm not good at this game..
Am I rooting for the right team ?!??!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I don't think it would be fair to penalize a team after they lose a player. It's still the same team and every game they play matters. If VCU didn't get in it would be absurd and unjust. That would mean all the games they played with Weber are irrelevant. You can't just take away what's actaully happened. It's fair to look at the full body of work. Especially if a team like VCU hasn't done enough to play their way out at all.
0 x