2015 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 2015 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by TruePoint »

ARD would seem to be a great fit for Al's staff if he gets the job, being an Atlanta native and Skinner guy. Note there is an assistant coach on staff with ARD at College of Charleston named Dick Bender. D'oh!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

First, the story was told to me by one of the other MAC school's broadcasters in the league who I've known for years. He was chatting with the UB radio guy (who he's friendly with) at the MAC tourney, as the media guys tend to chit-chat with each other.

Second, these incidents occurred during the MAC tourney. So no, it was not a long-term thing. It was a post-season game thing. MAC coach of the year voting takes place at end of regular season...then Bobby turns the screws on the guy in the post-season once he found out.

I've never heard of a coach screwing over their own radio crew...who rides the bus with the team, stays in the team hotel, etc. Coaches at big time schools can have axes to grind with media members all the time. But ax-grinding with your own play-by-play guy because he didn't vote for you and instead voted for another coach who was the landslide winner??? That's being a total jerk.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wonder if Bobby was channeling Christian Laettner?
I've been around him a few times, and always found him to be
a really friendly, approachable guy, with a good sense of humor.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So Bobby decided to snub his own radio guy from doing pre-game interviews with him, no off the record access, banned him from travel with the team, etc.
And then-
These incidents occurred during the MAC tourney. So no, it was not a long-term thing. It was a post-season game thing. MAC coach of the year voting takes place at end of regular season...then Bobby turns the screws on the guy in the post-season once he found out.
This is not about you, and I don't mean to offend you. I don't know your motivation here, but you're just sharing a story, maybe someone is interested. Is this Whetzel, I'm guessing, who spoke to the guy you know? Or Ritel? And you heard the story yesterday? When the voting was released, the team was already in Cleveland, so the timeframe would be two games. This is a time in which Bobby is involved in some of the most meaningful basketball games he's been in in years, and he's going to exact some kind of petty revenge over a vote, make it about him and not the guys he helped bring to that point? The team's schedule in Cleveland was tight and focused and very different from regular game days. Let me be clear, I'm not saying you're lying or that the guy you know is. You're just passing on a second-hand story from one guy's perspective. But, Bobby is well known by a few people here and is also generally well-liked by other Rhody fans who got to know him in the year he was there, so there's going to be some push back. If there's something to this, I'll be interested in hearing the other perspective on this (once questions about Buffalo are ok to ask again, it's not that good right now).
Last edited by ace 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

He said, he said……

It's all ipso facto……

One thing we do know: The Buffalo radio guy is not escaping Lake Erie winters for a new gig in Tempe.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Who cares? It sounds like the typical sour grapes story after a coach leaves for a better opportunity. And everyone knows radio guys never embellish stories to enhance their own careers ..... NOT!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

No one had any problem with the nature of bias of story when we were hearing Bobby Hurley was completely justified in leaving for the bigger offer after publicly pledging his heart was in Buffalo because of a dirty negotiating faux pas committed by Buffalo's AD (funny how the programs with the bigger offers never seem to make these faux pas'). But now a negative story about the greatest one year assistant coach in the history of URI, and maybe the world and we're all outraged because its hearsay and very likely contains a degree of personal bias. Relax, its just a story and not even that bad of one.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

BFC, I agree. I like Bobby, but I don''t know him well enough to argue for his honor here. My only point was that even if he is actually kind of an a-hole (which I don't even think this one story would prove, if it were true), Buffalo I'm sure would still be better off with him than without him and I'm sure they'd agree. Regardless of what he did or said to a radio guy.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

ace wrote:
So Bobby decided to snub his own radio guy from doing pre-game interviews with him, no off the record access, banned him from travel with the team, etc.
And then-
These incidents occurred during the MAC tourney. So no, it was not a long-term thing. It was a post-season game thing. MAC coach of the year voting takes place at end of regular season...then Bobby turns the screws on the guy in the post-season once he found out.
This is not about you, and I don't mean to offend you. I don't know your motivation here, but you're just sharing a story, maybe someone is interested. Is this Whetzel, I'm guessing, who spoke to the guy you know? Or Ritel? And you heard the story yesterday? When the voting was released, the team was already in Cleveland, so the timeframe would be two games. This is a time in which Bobby is involved in some of the most meaningful basketball games he's been in in years, and he's going to exact some kind of petty revenge over a vote, make it about him and not the guys he helped bring to that point? The team's schedule in Cleveland was tight and focused and very different from regular game days. Let me be clear, I'm not saying you're lying or that the guy you know is. You're just passing on a second-hand story from one guy's perspective. But, Bobby is well known by a few people here and is also generally well-liked by other Rhody fans who got to know him in the year he was there, so there's going to be some push back. If there's something to this, I'll be interested in hearing the other perspective on this (once questions about Buffalo are ok to ask again, it's not that good right now).
I don't know Bobby Hurley...I've never met Bobby Hurley...I have no motivation whatsoever. I thought it was an interesting story for some folks to read on this board. That's all, nothing more, nothing less. I figured that I would add it to this "Coaching Carousel" thread. I have no rooting interest in Buffalo, Duke, Arizona St., St. Anthony's, etc. I do root for URI so I figured there might be some people who would want to read it. Clearly, you're a little sensitive about Bobby.

I was just talking with my buddy yesterday about MAC basketball, as he calls the games for his school. I mentioned watching Buffalo in the MAC tourney and Hurley leaving UB. He then told me about his UB radio friend/colleague's story of Hurley being petty about not winning Coach of the Year.

For the record...voting by media members is usually done at the end of the regular season. (For example, a Saturday night.) It can be turned into the conference office prior to the last game or right after the last game. The results of the awards weren't announced until later in the week at the MAC tourney. So there was plenty of time for Bobby to find out which coach his radio pbp guy voted for...and plenty of time to stiff him for the travel and pre-game interview which was the Friday night (semi's) and Saturday night (finals).

Again, this is what makes the story so odd. I agree...at a time when Bobby should be focused on the biggest game of his short coaching career, the travel of his team, etc., Bobby Hurley was letting some perceived voting snub get under his skin and take it out on a radio guy who's a homer.

If you think I'm making up the story or the radio guy is, then simply contact the UB radio pbp guy and ask him yourself. His identity is not some sort of secret. I'm sure he'll talk to you on the record.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This seems very Red Sox of them, in the "smear them after they've left" to turn public opinion somehow against the person that left, and make the team look better. Not that it works, but it seems that way.

That said, I hope this story is true. I LOVE that fire. Not on board with us as a team and me as a coach? Fuck you. Stay away from us. I LOVE IT. Get on the train or get thrown off.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

"Not on board?" Screw that. This has nothing to do with "being on board." Radio guy can form his own opinion, based on his evaluation, cast his own votes, etc. He doesn't work for the head coach. He should unbiasedly look at the players and coaches he covers and then fairly vote for those who are deserving...and not for the players or coaches he covers.

I doubt a coach has ever given away to a media member a dime of whatever bonus they earn for getting coach of the year (thanks to that media member's vote). The next time I hear or see of that would be the first. This UB radio guy doesn't owe Bobby his vote, especially if Keno Davis was more deserving. And clearly by all the voting in the league, Keno was far more deserving. Looks like Bobby didn't even get a single vote.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college ... _keno.html
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

As far as I know, Buffalo was first in MAC standings and won the tournament. If I'm in first place and my radio guy didn't vote for me I'd kick him in the nuts.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Maybe that is a good reason to prohibit a media type person from voting for "their" team. A good way to avoid any hard feelings.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
ace wrote:
And then-
I don't know Bobby Hurley...I've never met Bobby Hurley...I have no motivation whatsoever. I thought it was an interesting story for some folks to read on this board. That's all, nothing more, nothing less. I figured that I would add it to this "Coaching Carousel" thread. I have no rooting interest in Buffalo, Duke, Arizona St., St. Anthony's, etc. I do root for URI so I figured there might be some people who would want to read it. Clearly, you're a little sensitive about Bobby.

I was just talking with my buddy yesterday about MAC basketball, as he calls the games for his school. I mentioned watching Buffalo in the MAC tourney and Hurley leaving UB. He then told me about his UB radio friend/colleague's story of Hurley being petty about not winning Coach of the Year.

For the record...voting by media members is usually done at the end of the regular season. (For example, a Saturday night.) It can be turned into the conference office prior to the last game or right after the last game. The results of the awards weren't announced until later in the week at the MAC tourney. So there was plenty of time for Bobby to find out which coach his radio pbp guy voted for...and plenty of time to stiff him for the travel and pre-game interview which was the Friday night (semi's) and Saturday night (finals).

Again, this is what makes the story so odd. I agree...at a time when Bobby should be focused on the biggest game of his short coaching career, the travel of his team, etc., Bobby Hurley was letting some perceived voting snub get under his skin and take it out on a radio guy who's a homer.

If you think I'm making up the story or the radio guy is, then simply contact the UB radio pbp guy and ask him yourself. His identity is not some sort of secret. I'm sure he'll talk to you on the record.
Hey, PlayMikeMotenMore,

Maybe this is what this is all about….

"All the reasonings of men are not worth one sentiment of women." Voltaire

Good luck from a guy married once and still is for more than a quarter-century.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote:As far as I know, Buffalo was first in MAC standings and won the tournament. If I'm in first place and my radio guy didn't vote for me I'd kick him in the nuts.
Buffalo was not first in the MAC standings. Central Michigan won the MAC regular season and was the #1 seed (finished 23-9 and 12-6) Central Michigan was 10-21 and 3-15 in the MAC the previous year. Coach of the year voting is done after the regular season so the results of the post-season tournament have no bearing on coach of the year voting.

If a coach took a team from 3-15/last place in one season to 12-6/first place in the next season and you didn't vote for him, I'd punch you in the face. (Didn't somebody teach you kicking, especially kicking in the nutts, is a sissy way to act?)

For the record, Buffalo had a worse conference mark this year (13-5) than last year (12-6).
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Guess you never studied or watched karate, or even MMA.
Kicking is a prime weapon, and the groin a prime target.
Check out Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, or Ramfan85, who holds three
black belts in three martial arts.
No sissies there.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Saw that post coming.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

[quotePlayMikeMotenMore"]For the record, Buffalo had a worse conference mark this year (13-5) than last year (12-6).[/quote]

Wait, what? Is the error on your end or am I that hungover?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Wait, what? Is the error on your end or am I that hungover?
Both? In conference, Buffalo was 13-5 last year. This past season, they went 12-6 and finished first in the East division of the conference, after graduating the MAC player of the year in '14 in Javon McCrea.

I'm very intrigued to see how Oats does. He was left with some nice talent, even with Evans transferring. His high school coaching experience is somewhat different than some of the other high school coaches who have made the jump recently. Aside from the fact that he has more experience- which is important- the situation seems a bit like Mason at Wagner, although Nate was the first choice while Bashir was the second. He's a good guy, hope he does well.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:If a coach took a team from 3-15/last place in one season to 12-6/first place in the next season and you didn't vote for him, I'd punch you in the face. (Didn't somebody teach you kicking, especially kicking in the nutts, is a sissy way to act?)
Quite the opposite. My drill sergeant and the spec ops instructor teaching hand to hand combat actually encouraged it.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: I'm very intrigued to see how Oats does. He was left with some nice talent, even with Evans transferring. His high school coaching experience is somewhat different than some of the other high school coaches who have made the jump recently. Aside from the fact that he has more experience- which is important- the situation seems a bit like Mason at Wagner, although Nate was the first choice while Bashir was the second. He's a good guy, hope he does well.
Who was the first choice at Wagner? Bobby? I don't remember anymore.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Nice! Hope he gets them to the dance soon. Good luck Al!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
ace wrote: I'm very intrigued to see how Oats does. He was left with some nice talent, even with Evans transferring. His high school coaching experience is somewhat different than some of the other high school coaches who have made the jump recently. Aside from the fact that he has more experience- which is important- the situation seems a bit like Mason at Wagner, although Nate was the first choice while Bashir was the second. He's a good guy, hope he does well.
Who was the first choice at Wagner? Bobby? I don't remember anymore.
Yeah, Bobby. And Dan hid out and refused to say whether or not he thought he should take the job because he didn't want to influence his decision.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Jeff Goodman, resident accumulator of names at ESPN and snide know-it-all, has this to tweet about Skinner:

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanESPN

Al Skinner is a heck of an Xs and Os guy, but he is 62, isn't a grinder and won't have Bill Coen or Ed Cooley on his staff at Kennesaw.

SETH GREENBERG, TO HIS CREDIT, TWEETED THESE:

Seth Greenberg
@SethOnHoops

Anyone that can't appreciate what Al Skinner accomplished during his career at URI and BC is either ignorant or vindictive. Great hire!
1h
Seth Greenberg
@SethOnHoops

Al Skinner can coach teach and evaluate. Great hire. He mentored his former assistants not the other way around.

There are certain civil wars I can sit back and watch and enjoy. This will be one of them!!!!!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Does Al have a relationship with Dan? Wonder if they'll be on the schedule at some point .....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Good god, I hope not.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

theblueram wrote:Good god, I hope not.

Yeah .... stupid question. I checked their RPI after posting this. It's in UMass-Lowell territory.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

74, let Al get them into the dance and get some recruits then maybe.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody74 wrote:
Yeah .... stupid question. I checked their RPI after posting this. It's in UMass-Lowell territory.
Ha! :) Like I've said about Bryant though, I'd rather the "gimme" games each year be against programs that have an interesting history or emotional angle, vs. the UMass-Lowells of the world. However, since the school is in Georgia, it doesn't really strike me as an easy schedule game anyway.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

SGreenwell wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
Ha! :) Like I've said about Bryant though, I'd rather the "gimme" games each year be against programs that have an interesting history or emotional angle, vs. the UMass-Lowells of the world. However, since the school is in Georgia, it doesn't really strike me as an easy schedule game anyway.
Yeah, let Kennesaw Mountain Landis be the arbiter of these matters…..
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good luck on the new gig Al Skinner!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Clearly, the man was due.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like Bobby has a good chance to sign Thon Maker, the 7 foot athletic freak who's been playing in Canada, to come to ASU.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm getting the feeling that Bobby has passed Dan by, with him coaching a P5 school with far more resources than URI.

If Bobby can get a Thon Maker, then that's a higher level of recruit [and a big] than we're likely to get too.

We'll see who goes farther in the next couple of years. My guess is, well, a lot of people here wouldn't like my guess....
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, here.

Thon Maker may never play a game of college basketball. He's close with new ASU hire, Brian Merritt, through the John Lucas camps.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves, here.

Thon Maker may never play a game of college basketball. He's close with new ASU hire, Brian Merritt, through the John Lucas camps.
True, he might not qualify and play pro overseas instead. But if he does go to college, ASU could be the landing spot.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:

True, he might not qualify and play pro overseas instead. But if he does go to college, ASU could be the landing spot.
Very true. The part about not getting ahead of ourselves was not directed to you.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What I meant was, Bobby hasn't passed Dan by just yet. But it's trending that way.

In the next couple of years, we'll see.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

First of all, who cares who has "passed by" who? Like, what is the need to pit them against each other or judge them relative to one another? It seems like who is "ahead" is a totally subjective thing that can't really be quantified, anyways.

Second of all, what is going to change in the next couple of years? In your last post, you seemed to be using conference and athletic budget as the markers; if that is your criteria, what do you need to wait and see? Dan could have that now if it is what he really desired the most. Does he need to leave URI to get back ahead in your opinion?

Likely, these are two really talented coaches who have different motivations and lifestyles and personal goals even though they have the same last name. So judging who is ahead will likely be more a reflection of your own values than their accomplishments.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:

Looks like he's changed his mind about going pro and wants to enroll in college for the 2nd semester.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... oll-second
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

FWIW, the Hurley brothers have always been compared to each other,
fair or not.
Guess what? They always will be compared to each other.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's all right Rod.

That's TP just being TP.

As in, anything we post, he will trash it.

It's getting to the point on this board, where it's the Old Guard versus the Younger Crowd.

As in, agree on nothing.

Wait for it........
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Funny, I was taliking to ATP and Milan last might about how
screen persona can be different from in person persona.
My daughter asks me, "Dad, why are you such a jerk online?"
I think some of us, may take out our frustrations on others,
because the internet seems tailor made for battling points.
In person, you'd probably think, "This guy is full of shit", and walk away.
Online, you dig in and let the rock fight begin.
TP seems like an agreeable chap in person. Some people actually
say the same about me, too.
Blame Al Gore for inventing the internet.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:Second of all, what is going to change in the next couple of years? In your last post, you seemed to be using conference and athletic budget as the markers; if that is your criteria, what do you need to wait and see? Dan could have that now if it is what he really desired the most. Does he need to leave URI to get back ahead in your opinion?

Likely, these are two really talented coaches who have different motivations and lifestyles and personal goals even though they have the same last name. So judging who is ahead will likely be more a reflection of your own values than their accomplishments.
I think these are good points. If you're a fan of a program like Rhode Island, I don't think you want to perpetuate the idea that going to the best of the best (say power 5 conference teams) is what determines success for a player or coach. I think the opportunity to do so might say something, but it shouldn't be looked on as a negative if a guy makes a different choice. And, of course they're going to be compared to each other, but it doesn't make it right or necessarily make sense. Thankfully, though, it's now more eye roll inducing than soul crushing. TP is right in pointing out the distinctions. The AD may have mishandled some things in the Buffalo situation, or not, but Bobby wasn't long for there, anyway. Bobby was all over the NCAA tournament this year after his team was out and loving it, so good for him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

"may"?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

When Dan leaves us for a P5 school I guess he will be back to even for Rambone. Perplexing logic there. I wonder how Dayton fans feel about having the lowly Archie.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dan could have left URI by now, good for us that he has chosen to stay
Dan and Bobby do not see this as a competition
They are both winners and will both have very successful careers - in fact they already have had good careers and have a lot of time ahead of them
It's not a horse race to them at all, in fact they are big supporters of one another.
I'll always root for both of them. Being a Coach in a Big Conference is not necessarily the ultimate goal as much as quality of life and family happiness
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I've never liked head to head comparisons, like Brady-Manning, etc. In order to make a point, people tend to put down the other.
As for Dan and Bobby, I want to have them meet in the national championship game. I'm cheering for both.
0 x