2015 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: 2015 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I get all that.
What I'm saying is, who remembers who followed
Dean Smith, John Wooden, Bobby Knight, Vince Lombardi, Joe Walsh,
Phil Jackson and on and on?
Who succeeded even close to those legends, besides living off the players
they left behind.
The answer is NOBODY did.
It's a financial win and an ego win, getting hired coming in behind a great.
It's a lose-lose, because whoever gets hired will eternally be compared to the
legend they replaced.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rodfromcranston wrote:I get all that.
What I'm saying is, who remembers who followed
Dean Smith, John Wooden, Bobby Knight, Vince Lombardi, Joe Walsh,
Phil Jackson and on and on?
Who succeeded even close to those legends, besides living off the players
they left behind.
The answer is NOBODY did.
It's a financial win and an ego win, getting hired coming in behind a great.
It's a lose-lose, because whoever gets hired will eternally be compared to the
legend they replaced.
the only example i can think of where it worked out (recently) was Florida State. Jimbo Fisher has successfully replaced Bobby Bowden, rebuilding the program back to the top 3-5 and winning a national title.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reckless jake wrote:LMAO... it what basketball universe is DePaul a "plum" job? Omly through the prism of rose-colored NBE glasses. Tge DePaul job is a coaches boneyard.

Could the Depaul job be a good position? Possibly if everything went right. It is however right now in time not a plum job. The best thing it has going for it is the salary. It is a non Power-5 job, has no on campus arena (and still won't when new venue at McCormick Place is completed), no recent sustained success, and has become a coaching graveyard (4 of the last 5 coaches fired for poor performance - Joey Meyer, Kennedy, Wainright, & Purnell). It doesn't appear to me to be worth the risk for a coach that might have much better offers in the immediate future.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The speculation ain't over:

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Archie Miller gets another contract extension, now signed through 2022
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Add to the speculation; Bobby becomes URI head coach when Dan moves on.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

We're due for the now annual contract touch-up for Dan.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Iona HC Tim Cluess also signed an extension today. Runs thru 2019-20.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

reckless jake wrote:LMAO... it what basketball universe is DePaul a "plum" job? Omly through the prism of rose-colored NBE glasses. Tge DePaul job is a coaches boneyard.

If you read my post i stated it was a plum job because it can be used as a springboard to a huge payday job with a p5 school.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Because that has been done so much in the past?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Because that has been done so much in the past?
No because like I said Purnell recruited pretty well and there is some good young talent on that team. In my opinion Purnell is a lousy coach. I think a good coach can really go in and possibly have a good first year there.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That works if the recruits like the coach or the coach thinks they're going to adapt to his system. Bottom line is, DePaul is the Fordham of the A10.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Fordham doesn't pay their coach $2.5 M
Fordham doesn't have plans for a state of the art facilities
Fordham doesn't play in a conference with a lucrative TV contract

DePaul is the only major D-1 program in Chicago
Depaul couldn't compete in the old BE; it can in the NBE

It can be a good job with the right coach.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Is that how much those idiots pay for that shitshow every year? Good thing Fox is paying for it. And good for you. I'm glad the level of competition went waaaayyyyy down so good ol DePaul can compete. Everyone gets a trophy, right?
Last edited by theblueram 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Money and Chicago are the only compelling aspects to the job. The TV contract allows for a great salary but delivers zero in eyeballs and exposure. FS1 is making the NBE a mid major in perception, which is reality for Joe Public.

Its the worst job in a non P5 conference. They havent been relevant in 25+ years. Stop with the pumping up of Depaul. Bobby should take a nice pay increase at Buffalo, work his way back to the dance and see what openings happen next season.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

On second thought. It might be the best coaching job in college basketball. Just suck as a coach and field a crap team and take home over 2 Mill a year. Do they have an online application?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bobby shocked everyone when he took the Buffalo job - nobody saw that coming. And behold he had immediate success.
I think he does it again - no reason for him to stay in Buffalo with $2 million or more being waved in his face
No reason why Bobby can't make any University he goes to successful
Brilliant move to grab Nate Oats - simply brilliant
He will put together a solid coaching staff and he will recruit high caliber players wher- ever he - but I'll be very surprised if he stays at Buffalo
Opportunity is knocking
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Speaking of good coaching, but totally off topic.....did anyone see the story on SI.com today about Dean Smith's will.
He left $200 to every player who earned a Letter for him - with a note to enjoy a night out for dinner on him. Awesome gesture.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would trust Bobby's judgement , if he were to take the DePaul job.

If he thinks he can make it there, who's to doubt him? He's not the type to back down from a challenge, like his brother.

He likely thinks of it as an opportunity. If he succeeds at a place where no one has in a long time, he becomes the hottest of the hot, worth his weight in gold, and possibly hello Duke down the road.

There is some element of a gamble, of course. But hey, it's a gamble taking a new job in most situations, right?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Iona HC Tim Cluess also signed an extension today. Runs thru 2019-20.
RUNS thru 2019................Fits well with Cleuss and his offense.

This seems like a great fit for Paschell; 10 miles from home, score a ton there, no need to play defense.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote:Money and Chicago are the only compelling aspects to the job.
Shit man, you almost say that as if they're NOT huge issues. ;) It's not really a small amount of money either - If he's in the $500,000 range now, it's about five times that if he's hired at ASU or DePaul. And while I didn't mind Buffalo when I drove through it once, it isn't Chicago.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

LOL, only because in Bobby's circumstance I think seven figure salaries and a more desirable location than Buffalo will be there as an option for many years.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

seanmc94 wrote:Fordham doesn't pay their coach $2.5 M

um, Northwestern?

Northwestern as a program is in a better position than DePaul. Far better conference and better current team
0 x
---
---
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Interesting job @ Tennessee opens up as they fired their coach(old southern miss coach) after 1 season...always had a crush on rocky top
0 x
Clapton is God
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wow! Fired after one season????
Had to be his connection to Southern Miss NCAA violations.
I watched the Vols a couple of times and former
recruit, Tariq Owens stunk.
Doesn't do much and is a foul machine.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Ya I wouldnt be surprised if they are being cautious after Bruce Pearl and his violations not too long ago....definitely a more attractive job than DePaul though
0 x
Clapton is God
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

bigappleram wrote:LOL, only because in Bobby's circumstance I think seven figure salaries and a more desirable location than Buffalo will be there as an option for many years.
Definitely the cash. Tough to beat Chicago, though. Think of all the college towns. Lots of cow towns.

Looks like there might be more jobs opening, too. Tennessee is open. Texas/St Johns/Ok State all on the table. It will be interesting.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

um, Northwestern?

Northwestern as a program is in a better position than DePaul. Far better conference and better current team
Northwestern certainly is in a much better conference than DePaul. But it 's an Ivy League-level school academically and the athletic department gets no help from the admissions office.

And BTW, Notre Dame is basically Chicago. It and Illinois are the two most popular colleges in Chicagoland.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:

um, Northwestern?

Northwestern certainly is in a much better conference than DePaul. But it 's an Ivy League-level school academically and the athletic department gets no help from the admissions office.

And BTW, Notre Dame is basically Chicago. It and Illinois are the two most popular colleges in Chicagoland.
and despite all that, Northwestern still outperforms DePaul on the court.

Duke and Stanford also have extremely high academic standards. Academic standards are not a barrier to success
0 x
---
---
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

um, Northwestern?

Northwestern isnt in Chicago; its in Evanston. 40 minutes outside. Second, dont use a team that has NEVER been to the NCAAs as an argument vs DePaul.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Its the worst job in a non P5 conference. They havent been relevant in 25+ years. Stop with the pumping up of Depaul. Bobby should take a nice pay increase at Buffalo, work his way back to the dance and see what openings happen next season.
I can name 20 jobs worse tham DePaul off the top of my head; including a few right in the A-10.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rodfromcranston wrote:Wow! Fired after one season????
Had to be his connection to Southern Miss NCAA violations.
Yup.

0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

seanmc94 wrote:
wrote:
I can name 20 jobs worse tham DePaul off the top of my head; including a few right in the A-10.
And there are worse P5 jobs than DePaul. Major city. Major hoops citys. Big money. Good conference. Nice basketball history. Would it take the right guy, a lot of work, and a little luck? Sure. But, I would much rather take DePaul than TCU and Texas Tech, for sure. Probably over Penn State and Rutgers. Washington State?

Really, 95% of jobs that come open are flawed in some way. Waiting until next year to hope something better comes open is a risk, too. I'm not saying that he should leave Buffalo. You have to feel comfortable with the new AD and pres. Those are factors. But, I would not be surprised if Bobby got DePaul going. Plus, it's not like going to the ACC or Big 12 or Big 10 where there are giants at the top. Anyone scared of PC, Nova, GTown, Butler?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Scott Drew and Larry Brown have proven with the talent pool in Texas you can win at any school in that state. Texas vs Chicago, I have my preference and its obvious. But in terms of making a lot of money and winning basketball games Texas Tech and TCU are more desirable IMO. I think Rutgers and Depaul are good comparisons.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

And BTW, Notre Dame is basically Chicago. It and Illinois are the two most popular colleges in Chicagoland.[/quote]

and despite all that, Northwestern still outperforms DePaul on the court.

Duke and Stanford also have extremely high academic standards. Academic standards are not a barrier to success[/quote]

Stanford and Duke, as well as the "public Ivies" like North Carolina, Virginia and Michigan, get lots of help from the admissions and academic departments. Ever notice how many Dookies major in Sociology? I wonder why . . .
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

From what I have seen and heard over the years, BC/Stanford/Northwestern are the ones that really do eliminate the a decent portion of the talent pool with their academic restrictions. That's not to say they have the same standards as the general student population but there are plenty of kids they can't take. Duke and Carolina admit whoever K and Roy want.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Gonebarongone wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:
wrote:
I'm sure there are jobs worse than DePaul but I can't come up with 20 major ones off the top of my head. Chicago has interesting high school hoops...very polluted, some would say "dirty." It's a major city but like Boston, it is not a college sports town despite the Big Ten headquarters. I would say that DePaul and Seton Hall are the bottom jobs in the NBE. PC is a better job than DePaul. DePaul has a lack of facilities, lack of student support, lack of energy, a disliked AD, etc. As noted, they are borderline 3rd college fiddle in the city behind Illinois and Notre Dame.

I'll take TCU, Texas Tech, and Rutgers over DePaul. You can bring in recruits during football weekends. You have a bigger alumni donor base, on campus facilties, and now more stability with those conferences. Texas, due to populations shifts, has becomes a great recruting area. Rutgers, THE state university, has been hampered by poisonous hires...going back before Mike Rice to Kevin Bannon. Bob Wetzel did a solid job there as did Gary Waters, who was an outsider. Recruiting strip from Philly thru NJ into NYC. Now with the Big Ten and its dollars it gives out, I feel the Scarlet Knights job has more potential to it than DePaul.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:Scott Drew and Larry Brown have proven with the talent pool in Texas you can win at any school in that state. Texas vs Chicago, I have my preference and its obvious. But in terms of making a lot of money and winning basketball games Texas Tech and TCU are more desirable IMO. I think Rutgers and Depaul are good comparisons.
I will say that probably proves a larger point. That we can parse these different jobs all day long but a good coach can go into almost any place, recruit his ass off, and win. I mean, Baylor is in freaking Waco and coming off probably one of the worst sagas you can have in college sports. The whole Dave Bliss deal and one singular NCAA game in 50 years and he turns it into a winner. What would we have said about Bobby Hurley going to Baylor if this was 2003?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

All the jobs you mentioned are P5 jobs. The assertion was that DePaul is "the worst nonP5 job in the country".
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Scott Drew is a miracle worker. No program ever
came back from what they got handed to them after
that murder cover up.
I think Fordham is a worse job than Depaul. UNH, Maine.....
lots more.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

PLEASE NOTE: Discussion related to Dan Hurley's reported candidacy for the St. John's position has moved to a dedicated thread.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Shaka to Texas??

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I'd think Marshall would be ahead of Smart because of more recent results
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

twisted3829 wrote:I'd think Marshall would be ahead of Smart because of more recent results
Given his run of success, I think Smart probably has his choice of jobs. If anything, I think the only reason he's a "down the list" mention for all of these jobs is because he's shown resistant to leaping from VCU.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Smart will now renegotiate and be at $2mill.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That's a job he should and I'm sure will consider.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Shaka may indeed seriously consider the Texas job.

As for Dan, St. Johns isn't far away from being one of the top programs in the NBE.

Very doable. Same for PC, a lot easier to be at, or near the top of the current BE, than it was with the old BE.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Because it's a second tier league.

The big east is the A10 with more money.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: REPORTS: Dan Hurley a Candidate for St. John's

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:All I know TP, is that Dan is making a career decision, and maybe he already knows what he's doing by now.

I'm sure his players, coaches, and URI know what's going on.

We don't, yet. We are the last to know.

Let's put it this way, OK? If he's told St. Johns he's not interested, wouldn't somebody have put that out there by now?

Whatever happens, happens.

Oops. One more thing. DePaul might be bringing Leitao back. Maybe Bobby has backed off, or is looking more toward the Ariz. St. job?

Or, does that mean Dan might be going to St. Johns? They aren't both going to the BE, they won't coach against each other.

Just a thought. Like I've said, if he goes, he goes.

Where do you get bobby might have backed off DePaul? He was seen at the chicago airport today and was supposed to interview with Drew scheduled to interview Sunday.

www.buffalonews.com/sports/ub-...-badly-20150328

The University at Buffalo was in a wait-and-see mode this weekend as the pursuit of men’s basketball coach Bobby Hurley heated up and the college basketball coaching moves continued.

DePaul University has strong interest in Hurley, and the UB coach was seen in Chicago’s O’Hare Airport on Saturday.

The Chicago Tribune reported that Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew and Hurley each want the DePaul men’s basketball job “badly,” according to a source. Hurley was scheduled to interview on Saturday and Drew on Sunday, according to the Tribune’s sources.

The two are considered the top two targets in the search that began after Oliver Purnell resigned earlier this month after five seasons.

DePaul has been a loser for eight straight seasons. However, the school is in the Big East Conference, rated No. 2 in the nation. And the Blue Demons have a track record of paying top dollar. Purnell was receiving a salary of $2.2 million from DePaul.

UB was hoping to lock up Hurley to a renegotiated deal earlier this week, but he opted to see what opportunities were available.

UB has made Hurley its best offer and is not in any further contract negotiations with the coach. UB has offered to increase his salary from $300,000 a year (not counting incentives) to somewhere higher than $550,000. That would make Hurley the highest-paid coach in the Mid-American Conference.

Drew has coached Valparaiso the last four seasons and taken that team to the NCAA Tournament twice.

Meanwhile, other high-profile coaching jobs continue to open, which could create more opportunities for Hurley. St. John’s fired coach Steve Lavin on Friday. There has been speculation that St. John’s could pursue Hurley if it does not first pursue his younger brother, Dan, the coach at Rhode Island.

Elsewhere, Texas on Saturday fired coach Rick Barnes, which could have a ripple effect to other schools. Arizona State is among the other high-profile jobs open.
0 x
Wayne
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: REPORTS: Dan Hurley a Candidate for St. John's

Unread post by Wayne »

The plot thickens... Hopefully St Johns gives Rysheed Jordan what he wants!
Attachments
image.jpg
0 x