Win2 = We dance

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Win2 = We dance

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I don't care what the rpi shows

we win 2 games we dance

2 games

let's go
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Win2 = We dance

Unread post by steviep123 »

Why sweat out the Selection Show? Win 3 and take it out of the committee's hands!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

here here !
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

if we had beaten either Davidson or Dayton you would be right, but given we lost both Its win in BK or NIT.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Open the windows while you're painting. We are not an at-large bid.

We certainly are a very dangerous team to win 3 though. I'd back you on that 100%.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

According to rpiforecast, two wins puts our RPI at around 50. We'd be in the discussion, but would probably be on the outside looking in with a shot at a one seed in the NIT. So let's win 3.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I was someone who was probably more optimistic than most about our at-large chances, but they've clearly sailed. I'll co-sign Blue Man's post though.
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Its tough to look back at games we could/should have won. VCU and Davidson obviously, I agree with most everyone no chance of an at large.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I have to believe if we make it to the finals and lose, we get an At-Large.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

No chance buckos. Win 3, or NIT.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah not happening, I was on the "make it to the finals and we're in the discussion" team prior to Davidson, but that is no longer the case.
0 x
jro44
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jro44 »

I'd love to agree and say 2 will do it, but Lunardi has Richmond as one of the next four out and ahead of Rhode Island, so we are even dropping below them. I think it's win it all or NIT
NOT winning any big games killed Rhody this year. That Davidson game and the FTs down the stretch may haunt this season.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

RhodysRelevant wrote:Its tough to look back at games we could/should have won. VCU and Davidson obviously, I agree with most everyone no chance of an at large.
Correct, and also remember we needed a buzzer beater against Fordham and a missed Derrick Colter short jumper to survive Duquesne, these things tend to even out over the course of a season.

We simply have not beaten an NCAA caliber team this year, we have nothing on our resume for at large consideration.
The schedule really should have benefited us having to play the eventual top 5 teams only once (3 of them home games) For me, the St Joes loss was the crusher, that one hurt badly...

There is clearly nobody we cant beat in this league, so lets just win 3 and be the team nobody wants as a first round matchup in the NCAA, because if we do somehow win the A10, NOBODY will want to see our name on the selection Sunday board.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

We don't have a single win against the top 50. We didn't beat a "tournament quality" team all season. Just hoist that trophy on Sunday and we'll be all smiles. Otherwise, get ready to make the trek to the RC for an NIT home game.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Keep in mind, if we make the finals, our RPI would be about 50 and we'd most likely have beaten a top 40, tournament bound Dayton on a neutral court. Again, most likely not enough, but if things break the right way in terms of automatic bids and what not we'd be in the conversation on Sunday.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jro44
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jro44 »

We would need Davidson and VCU to bow our early, as well as Richmond and then beat GW and Dayton pretty solidly
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

No chance in hell.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

OMG. Please not another thread on this! Not happening, already discussed elsewhere. Love ya, ECR, but come on man!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

No waaayy. We wouldn't be very close at all actually.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

He doesn't buy this, either!
Attachments
homey.jpg
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Great reference Rod, loved the Homey and Fire Marshall Bill skits as a kid growing up.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

had we one more regular season conference win, any one, pick it, I'd say given that two wins in the tourney means one top 50 rpi (assuming of course Davidson advances) and one top 100 rpi win there would be room for this discussion, but as it stands I think its win to get in.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Sorry ATP!.. I've been away from the board this past week a lot..

Unfortunately :(

I actually had tickets to Davidson but had to bow out late

I'm just trying to be optimistic

If you told me at the beginning of the year we would be tied for 2nd/3rd in regular season and then get to the finals in Brooklyn - I think we all would have spelled out NCAA

ugh that Davidson loss was a killer

Let's just enjoy the ride.. One game at a time starting Friday and see where it takes us
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The bubble talk on this board overlooks the holes in the other bubble teams resumes too much.

Like K-state damn near has a losing record. What is the difference between us and Purdue? Could go on and on.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, for openers, Purdue beat Missouri, NC State and BYU in their
OOC schedule.
They also play in the Big 10, where there aren't many Fordhams, Duquesnes
and GMs to become bad wins or losses..
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Purdue is 3-5 vs. the top 50 and 9-9 vs. the top 100. One of their "bad" losses is to North Florida, who won their conference and is dancing. Not to mention a higher RPI and SOS.

We have a big fat goose egg in one of the most important criteria on the selection sheet. Record vs. top 50 RPI teams aka "Tournament quality teams". That alone tells me we don't deserve to be in. Wins aren't all created equal.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You have to beat SOMEONE good.
SOS is also a killer.
Too many negatives for anyone to actually think we
deserve an at large bid.
Win Brooklyn or it's NIT.
By the way, the Canisius people are begging their school to
go to the pay as you go, CIT.
Claim they deserve it. CFL needs 5 wins to get to his precious 20 wins,
so he can't do it this year, anyway.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

We have a better chance of URI firing Dan and bringing in CFL than an at-large bid.

Rod, a familiar name on their board.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

haha NO! Not CFL!

I feel like the probability of ending up with a season like ours is almost impossible where you beat all scrubs and whoever you thought mattered ends up awful.

Im not impressed by any of the BIG10 teams. Basketball as a whole is down this year. Outside of us I am an ACC guy.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

To get an NCAA bid, URI needs to win the A-10 Tourney, period. What would be great is if it's URI vs. Richmond in the final, URI winning. That sets up a potential 5-team A-10 showing, as everyone is hot for Richmond and Dayton, and VCU and Davidson are "supposed locks."
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

A10 is looking at 2 bids; three max
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If anybody besides VCU, Dayton, or Davidson wins the A10 tourney then there will be 4 A10 teams in the NCAAs.
0 x
Go Rhody
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

rodfromcranston wrote:He doesn't buy this, either!
Homie don't play that.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Some station plays In Living Color, but a little too late
for a regular viewing of multiple shows.
That show holds up, even years later.
One of the all time funniest programs ever.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Every time Hass blocks a shot I yell "I don't think so!"
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Rod, I've seen it on FXX late night. I still haven't seen many of the episodes, any time it's on the DVR is recording.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

So it looks like it's in the league's best interest that URI wins the tournament :)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Absolutely not. Had we beaten either Davidson or Dayton, or beaten both UMASS and St. Joseph's, I think we would be in, but we lost to both, so we have to win on Sunday. We just haven't beaten anyone that's any good this year.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

While I think your overall point is correct, I wouldn't say we haven't beaten anyone that is any good. We just didn't beat the very best teams we played, but I think we did beat a bunch of good teams. We didn't do enough to be an at-large team, but we shouldn't go overboard diminishing what this group has accomplished.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Made my night TP, Carrey's golden years in the 90's for sure.

Can we change the title of this to "Best In Living Color skits"? Seems pointless to beat a dead horse, anything other than a trophy on Sunday means we aren't announced on Selection Sunday.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ram1019 wrote:So it looks like it's in the league's best interest that URI wins the tournament :)
Somebody tell the refs!
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:While I think your overall point is correct, I wouldn't say we haven't beaten anyone that is any good. We just didn't beat the very best teams we played, but I think we did beat a bunch of good teams. We didn't do enough to be an at-large team, but we shouldn't go overboard diminishing what this group has accomplished.
21 wins, 19 came against teams 100+ in Kenpom rankings. Richmond on the road is probably the only win you can count as "good" if you are viewing this through the lens of an at large bid. The flip side is true, too. No "bad" losses. The schedule was what it was but it didn't really let Rhody build a resume. As I have said before, it would have been great to have this year's team play last year's A10.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Even without VCU/Davidson, by taking care of the 100+ RPI teams we also could have made a case were there no "bad" losses on our resume. St. Joe's (#174) obviously jumps out, but Georgia Tech (#127) also hurts. If not for those, we could claim 5 of our 6 losses came against top 33 RPI teams and tourney-bound teams with the 6th against a rival and the #73 team on the road.

This could have been a decent bubble resume without winning the A10 tournament.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:A10 is looking at 2 bids; three max
Try THREE bids; FOUR max.

There are currently three A-10 teams in the RPI top 33: VCU, Davidson, and Dayton.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The issue is not so much one of being optimistic, but one of being realistic. I know because on several occasions I have sat in bars on Selection Sunday waiting to hear URI’s name called out, only to be disappointed.

The URI record speaks for itself and the only route to an NCAA invite comes from winning the Brooklyn tournament. Two wins and a loss in the finals won’t do it. The following chart shows that. For the NCAA committee, the URI record is 20-8, not 21-8. The Rams are 0-3 against teams in the top 25, 0-5 in the top 50, 3-7 in the Top 100, and 8-8 against teams with RPI’s better than 200. Twelve of our 20 wins have come from teams with 200+ RPI’s. On the plus side, URI has suffered no bad losses.

In Brooklyn, winning the first game against either GW or Duquesne does not give us a quality win, winning next against Dayton would give a quality win and losing in the Finals would mean the URI record would end up with one quality win, not enough to get a NCAA bid.

So best case scenario is win the tournament and get the NCAA bid . Worst case scenario is Duquesne beats GW and then upsets URI, an outcome which jeopardizes a NIT invite. That is the range of possible outcomes. I hope for the best!

Code: Select all

Wins (21)	                Losses (8)
  Team	         RPI	      Team	          RPI

@ Richmond  	    54	    Kansas*	           2
UMass #2	        73	    VCU	              20
GW	              80	    @ Providence	     23
La Salle #1	    102	    Davidson	         29
@ La Salle #2	  102	    @ Dayton	         33
St. Bonaventure   118	    @ UMass #1	       73
Nebraska	       135	    Georgia Tech*	   128
St. Joseph’s #2   172	    @ St. Joseph’s #1  172
Santa Clara*	   203		
Detroit	        205		
@ George Mason 	216		
Delaware State	 219		
@ Duquesne	     223		
Brown 	         242		
@ Fordham #1	   244		
Fordham #2	     244		
@ Saint Louis #1  260		
Saint Louis #2	 260		
UMass-Lowell	   266		
@ Southern Miss	282		
Pace	            D2
* Neutral site.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

The A-10 has 3 locks. I don't see any way that VCU, Davidson or Dayton miss the tournament.

The best scenario for the A-10 is for Richmond to go to the finals against whomever (URI, GW, Duquesne, St. Louis, St. Bonaventure or St. Joseph's) and for one of those 6 teams to beat Richmond. I'm pretty sure Richmond would actually be in seeing as their already decent RPI would get a lot higher if they beat VCU and Davidson to get to the finals. Then the A-10 may get 5 teams in.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I never use the word "lock" referring to the A10.
Davidson was the killer.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

scine20 wrote:The A-10 has 3 locks. I don't see any way that VCU, Davidson or Dayton miss the tournament.

The best scenario for the A-10 is for Richmond to go to the finals against whomever (URI, GW, Duquesne, St. Louis, St. Bonaventure or St. Joseph's) and for one of those 6 teams to beat Richmond. I'm pretty sure Richmond would actually be in seeing as their already decent RPI would get a lot higher if they beat VCU and Davidson to get to the finals. Then the A-10 may get 5 teams in.
Agree with this. Richmond has an RPI in the low 50's right now, with an SOS to match.

They are right now 3-5 vs the top 50. To beat VCU and Davidson would give them a 5-5 record against the top 50, and an RPI around 37-42. They would move to a lock.

It's very possible, if Richmond and URI face off in the final, with URI winning, the A10 could have 5+ bids 3 years in a row...2 years after we were supposed to be dead as a conference. That's awesome.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I stand by my prediction
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey