All Atlantic 10

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: All Atlantic 10

Unread post by TruePoint »

Miller took a team that was supposed to finish at the top of the league and make the tournament and did just that with it. He only had six guys, but those six were so much more talented than our best six or Davidson's best six. I don't really get the argument for him. I get he didn't have really tall guys and you love tall guys, but I just think he did what he was supposed to do.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Great to see a person on this board making the case for Anthony over Matthews.

I love Bembry, maybe price is a better player to compare but Munford was clearly snubbed.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

To me the Anthony and EC debate doesnt even matter, because Hassan should be on the first team over both of them and it shouldn't even be close. Anthony is a little bug who scores 17 points a game because you aren't allowed to go near his fragile little body without the refs jumping in to protect him.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Great to see a person on this board making the case for Anthony over Matthews.

I love Bembry, maybe price is a better player to compare but Munford was clearly snubbed.
I didn't bring it up out of nowhere. It was being discussed. And that was after I've been waving the Hassan Martin as first teamer for just about all year. I just think people just look too much at points per game. He wasn't one of the best five players in the A10 this year. Efficiency matters and he turned it over too much. URI is good because of EC but we are talking first team all conference.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote:To me the Anthony and EC debate doesnt even matter, because Hassan should be on the first team over both of them and it shouldn't even be close. Anthony is a little bug who scores 17 points a game because you aren't allowed to go near his fragile little body without the refs jumping in to protect him.
100% agree. Hassan being second team and not first is the biggest gripe I have, but I'm not ready to get my pitch fork out. He should have been first team, maybe he just missed it. Either way, he will be next year and it isn't like he got no recognition at all.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wait, Adams of Bonnie's was ROW three times,
and doesn't make the All Rookie Team!
Why? Because he was injured in the last couple of weeks?
So, then why is Webber given the D POY, while missing half the conference games?
The coaches vote for this, so they must be living the double
standard.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

adam914 wrote:To me the Anthony and EC debate doesnt even matter, because Hassan should be on the first team over both of them and it shouldn't even be close. Anthony is a little bug who scores 17 points a game because you aren't allowed to go near his fragile little body without the refs jumping in to protect him.
Although Anthony is ahead of EC this year, for Anthony to make 2nd team last year while Xavier Munford doesn't make any of the teams was a real joke! Xavier had an edge in points, rebounds assists AND steals and only shot 3% less from 3-point range (32 vs 35%).
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

:o :o EC had better stats than Anthony! and on the better team! and made the plays down the stretch for URI to be right above UR in the standings!

SEASON
TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
EC MATTHEWS 2014-15 URI 32.6 5.3-12.8 .411 2.0-6.5 .315 4.0-5.6 .724 4.5 2.0 0.6 0.8 2.0 3.6 16.6

K ANTHONY 2014-15 RICH 36.2 5.7-12.9 .446 1.7-4.6 .380 3.1-3.9 .779 1.8 2.3 0.0 0.9 2.2 1.6 16.3

EC also had a injury. Same injury that holds guys out for weeks in the NBA.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm not even sure why it shocks me any more. But still...WHAT THE FUCK IS THE EXCUSE THIS YEAR?

We finished 3rd. So there goes last year's "bad team" argument.

Any coach that didn't have to game plan for Hass Martin every time they played us is lying to you. Never mind the blocks. The shots altered, if it was a stat in college, would be through the fucking roof.

Not only was he the best defender on the best defensive team (should automatically be DPOY), but he was CLEARLY the best and most consistent player all year for a team that was still in competition for the league title in the last week of the season. Anthony over Martin is fucking unconscionable.

The fact that TJ didn't get 6th man is fucking bonkers. ShawnDre Jones plays for a team that URI beat and finished above in the standings. TJ was better in every statistical category but points, and had a better shooting percentage than Jones. The "intangibles," beyond his defense/leadership that was apparent, are usually a bullshit term that has been shoved down our throats because other teams were better and finished atop the conference and therefore their players deserved awards.

McKillop absolutely deserved COY, he had a team that was unanimously picked to finish at the bottom of the conference and won it. No gripe there, or the rest of the 1st team outside of Anthony over Martin, 6th man, and DPOY.

Just a fucking troll job. Fuck the A10, we don't want their individual awards anyway. Like Terrell said, we're about championships.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

twisted3829 wrote:I think Hassan and EC split the vote of the coaches, if the teams are in order they tied for the last spot on the 2nd team
They're listed alphabetically by team
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man spot on once again.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Seawrightspostgame wrote::o :o EC had better stats than Anthony! and on the better team! and made the plays down the stretch for URI to be right above UR in the standings!

SEASON
EC MATTHEWS 2014-15 URI 32.6 5.3-12.8 .411 2.0-6.5 .315 4.0-5.6 .724 4.5 2.0 0.6 0.8 2.0 3.6 16.6

K ANTHONY 2014-15 RICH 36.2 5.7-12.9 .446 1.7-4.6 .380 3.1-3.9 .779 1.8 2.3 0.0 0.9 2.2 1.6 16.3

Better stats or better PPG? Looks like Anthony's shooting stats are much better across the board
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Idk Anthony probably is a better shooter than EC right now. It IS close.

EC is also the second leading rebounder on the best defensive team/3 seed. While all maintaining the leading scorer and lead dog roll.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I would think the final spot on the first team came down to Matthews, Pierre and Anthony, and you could make an argument for all three. Maybe EC lost votes from opposing coaches in games where he had a lot of turnovers. I'm not upset about this.
Martin should've been DPOY. TJ is one of the five best defensive players in the league.
I'c be surprised if McKillop wasn't unanimous.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote::o :o EC had better stats than Anthony! and on the better team! and made the plays down the stretch for URI to be right above UR in the standings!

SEASON

Better stats or better PPG? Looks like Anthony's shooting stats are much better across the board
Yes that is why I could see Anthony over Matthews. The shooting efficiency and turnover differences are hard to overlook. Frankly an assist to turnover ratio approaching 0.5 from a guard is way way too low.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyruckus wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:

SEASON

Yes that is why I could see Anthony over Matthews. The shooting efficiency and turnover differences are hard to overlook. Frankly an assist to turnover ratio approaching 0.5 from a guard is way way too low.
EC wasn't a first teamer this year. Still had a great year, but plenty of growing pains with regards to his handle and a tough adjustment to being the guy circled on opposing team game sheets. Anthony over Matthews doesn't bother me like Anthony over Martin does.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Surprised Pollard wasn't third team, and if Weber was DPOY, shouldn't he be on one of the all-conference teams?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Iggy, are you asking for consistency and logic?? haha
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

In Weber's case they were just being nice because he got hurt so devastatingly. I knew it would happen, but Jared Terrell was snubbed from the all defensive team. They should put him over Garino, especially when you think back to when JT picked his pocket and dunked it the other way when they played each other, which practically won that game.
Shawnd're Jones is NOTHING.
TJ is a MAN.
You couldn't ask for more off the bench. Shouldn't even be close.
Let's tear Brooklyn a new one!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Biruta repeatedly making all-academic teams in his non-native language will always be impressive to me. That guy is going to do great things.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It always amazes me, that Euros, and Africans, and others,
can come here and speak better English than the people
born here.
The educational system in the US, should explore why most Germans,
among others, can speak fluent English, while Americans struggle to
pass Spanish 101.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

rodfromcranston wrote: The educational system in the US, should explore why most Germans,
pass Spanish 101.
Not to get off topic but I don't think they'd need to do too much exploring. English is one of the most widely spoken languages and probably the most practical languages to know for people around the world. For the US the most practical (in my opinion) would be some type of Chinese which is the most difficult to learn.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:It always amazes me, that Euros, and Africans, and others,
born here.
pass Spanish 101.
Because there's always an English translation at hand -- I mean -- at eye…..
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

People learn languages best the younger they are, yet in our educational system many school districts don't begin to teach foreign languages until middle school. I think another main issue is geography/societal views. In Europe, you tend to live in a smaller country surrounded by countries that speak foreign languages, do it's considered valuable to know many languages. In the US, we live in a country with a vast land mass with only two real neighbors and one of those speaks predominantly the same language as we do.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rodfromcranston wrote:It always amazes me, that Euros, and Africans, and others,
born here.
pass Spanish 101.
1. English is essentially the universal language. In Europe, you need to know your native tongue and English (usually)

2. Learning other languages is a priority in Europe out of necessity. Each European country is roughly the size of 1-3 states. Imagine if every state in the US spoke a different language. That's the situation they face.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Great quote in the Narragansett Times today. Gil says he overheard two St. Joe's players so he knew to jump a pass and get his steal. "They didn't think I understood English," he joked. Smart, funny, personable.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Great quote in the Narragansett Times today. Gil says he overheard two St. Joe's players so he knew to jump a pass and get his steal. "They didn't think I understood English," he joked. Smart, funny, personable.
Yeah, he said that on the post game show....great line.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Any player who thinks they got screwed can do what Tommy Garrick did: use the conference tournament to show them they were wrong.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I love thinking back to Tommy Garrick dropping 50 on Rutgers, but am a little concerned about E.C. taking the "I'll show them for screwing me" attitude. It's when he tries to do too much that he starts forcing things and turning the ball over.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I would prefer Hassan to be the one that shows the league. I would love to see him be more assertive on offense. Being pumped works for his type of game - blocks, rebounds and slam dunks.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”