Senior Day - Honoring TJ, Gilvydas, and Eric

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
neil
Art Stephenson

Senior Day - Honoring TJ, Gilvydas, and Eric

Unread post by neil »

On Saturday, I will be attending my 48th consecutive Senior Day. It all started in '67 when I cheered on Art Stephenson and Larry Johnson. It is my favorite game of the year because as we all know, we are not Kentucky, Duke etc. We do not have numerous banners on the top of the RC (although that is open for debate), but we do have some outstanding student athletes who might not get to the pros, but certainly deserve their moment in the sun.

We honor Senior captain Gil Biruta. Gil is a two year starter who came to us from Rutgers with great press clippings. Maybe, there in lies a problem - expectations. His statistics, for the most part, are good. We cringed last year when he picked up early fouls. We applauded his passing and a game winning shot. At times, we lost patience with his lack of focus, but we also applauded him as a person who valued team play. Whether you view his two years as partly cloudy or sunny, he remains an important part of the success of this year's team. Maybe he didn't meet up to our expectations, but he will be remembered as a member of the starting five of the team that turned around the Ram program. The very best of luck whether on or off the court. His personality, intelligence, and basic goodness will take him along way in life. Thanks, Gil!

The other Senior averaged 4.6 points per game in his four years. He played in 117 games but started in only 27. A career 64% foul shooter and 43% shooter from the field, and ALL of us know that everyone of these statistics are meaningless. We honor Saturday TJ Buchanan. If you looked up "team player", it would probably say "see TJ". At this year's awards banquet, I would easily cast my vote for MVP to him. There is not a selfish or egotistical bone in his body. Whether diving on the floor, cheering on his team mates, taking the challenge of guarding the opponents best offensive player, it's all TJ. After his Freshman year, what was he thinking? New coach, bringing in new players with a number of them who played his position. TJ the freshman did not shoot, and to be quite honest, I thought he would be the lost man on the bench. Boy, was I wrong. TJ has improved tremendously because of a great work ethic and a strong desire not just for him, but for his team to succeed. He truly is the backbone of this team. He exemplifies everything that is good about today's student athlete. Of the forty eight that I have attended, I obviously don't recall who had the longest ovation. I think on Saturday we should make it point to break that record. He certainly deserves it. I don't know years from now how or if he will be remembered, but we can make a lasting impression by keeping that applause going. Don't know the "ins" and outs of hiring in the state. But as mentioned in other threads, the university needs to find a way to keep this truly remarkable student and his family a place in Kingston. It should be a priority. Thank you TJ!!!!

Also, please get to your seats no later than 1:45. The Seniors do not need to be honored with a half filled Ryan Center.

Go Rhody!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Senior Day

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Awesome, Neil!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Great job, Neil!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well said, as always, Neil!
The part about getting there for the ceremony
is 100% on target.
Why the hell can't our crowd get there BEFORE the
game, instead of disrupting people who did get
there on time?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

There's nothing more annoying than when you're trying to watch the game and people get up during it and you have to miss plays. It's a huge pet peeve of mine. If you can't get there at 2 PM don't come. And unless it's a real emergency stay in your seat until a stoppage and come back to your seat during a stoppage.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Thanks neil, I'm really hoping for a great turn out Saturday, I want to be there to honor Gil and TJ, I'm not sure they even understand how much they bring to our lives. They both deserve our heightened gratitude. This program had one foot in the grave and they both did good work to get us back among the living. I do have a special spot for TJ among my all time favorite Rams, but let that not take anything away from the respect and gratitude I feel for Gil.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

A good read about college basketball players being fathers - with mention of TJ: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... fraternity

I can't imagine how tough this whole thing has been for him and his family. We need the full force for Saturday in regards to fan support for these 2 seniors.
0 x
Go Rhody!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In GoRhody they also list Eric Youncofski as participating in the annual Senior Day. Not 100% sure since he is listed as Junior on the roster but I'll assume GoRhody is correct.
Assuming so congrats to to Eric as well. I can't say enough about the guys on our bench who participate in all the practices, go on the trips to Italy, Orlando Classic, etc. All the players on the team play a key role especially at practices helping to make one another better. What impressed me the most is how I see how Eric's enthusiasm never, ever wanes. He is always cheering on his teammates no matter what the score and it never matters whether he plays or not. Guys with attitudes like Eric's are important to a team and credit Dan Hurley for having such a positive groups of players all the way up and down the bench.
I see in the Bio where Eric wants to be a basketball Coach upon graduation. He has my vote.

From GoRhody:
What's Next:
The Rams close out the regular season on Saturday when they host Saint Joseph's. The game will serve as the annual Senior Day, with the pre-game ceremony for T.J. Buchanan, Gilvydas Biruta, Eric Youncofski beginning at approximately 1:40.

Two-year letterwinner with the Rams...walk-on guard has appeared in nine career games and has tallied three career points.

At Middletown North H.S.:
•Earned four varsity letters for head coach Mike Iasparro at Middletown North H.S.
•Finished his career as the school's all-time assists leader (441) and a 47-11 record as a starter
•Captained the team as a junior and senior
•Averaged 9.2 points and 7.6 assists per game for the Lions in 2011-12, as the team registered a 21-6 overall record and made its first trip to the Shore Conference championship game
•Earned All-Shore Conference All-Star honors as a senior
•Led Monmouth County in assists as a junior and senior
•Played AAU basketball with the Game 7 Sharks
•Served as President of MNHS' Key Club.

Personal:
•Eric Youncofski was born on Jan. 21, 1994
•Parents are Greg and Kathleen
•Has two brothers, Greg - a member of the men's basketball staff at Cincinnati - and Michael
•Lists his favorite NBA player as LeBron James
•Hopes to become a basketball coach after graduation.
•Public relations major with a minor in leadership
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Great post, Neil! Really well said all around.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Eric is graduating, in 3 years, while playing basketball. Walk on or not, that is impressive!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:In GoRhody they also list Eric Youncofski as participating in the annual Senior Day. Not 100% sure since he is listed as Junior on the roster but I'll assume GoRhody is correct.
Assuming so congrats to to Eric as well. I can't say enough about the guys on our bench who participate in all the practices, go on the trips to Italy, Orlando Classic, etc. All the players on the team play a key role especially at practices helping to make one another better. What impressed me the most is how I see how Eric's enthusiasm never, ever wanes. He is always cheering on his teammates no matter what the score and it never matters whether he plays or not. Guys with attitudes like Eric's are important to a team and credit Dan Hurley for having such a positive groups of players all the way up and down the bench.
I see in the Bio where Eric wants to be a basketball Coach upon graduation. He has my vote.

From GoRhody:
What's Next:
The Rams close out the regular season on Saturday when they host Saint Joseph's. The game will serve as the annual Senior Day, with the pre-game ceremony for T.J. Buchanan, Gilvydas Biruta, Eric Youncofski beginning at approximately 1:40.

Two-year letterwinner with the Rams...walk-on guard has appeared in nine career games and has tallied three career points.

At Middletown North H.S.:
•Earned four varsity letters for head coach Mike Iasparro at Middletown North H.S.
•Finished his career as the school's all-time assists leader (441) and a 47-11 record as a starter
•Captained the team as a junior and senior
•Averaged 9.2 points and 7.6 assists per game for the Lions in 2011-12, as the team registered a 21-6 overall record and made its first trip to the Shore Conference championship game
•Earned All-Shore Conference All-Star honors as a senior
•Led Monmouth County in assists as a junior and senior
•Played AAU basketball with the Game 7 Sharks
•Served as President of MNHS' Key Club.

Personal:
•Eric Youncofski was born on Jan. 21, 1994
•Parents are Greg and Kathleen
•Has two brothers, Greg - a member of the men's basketball staff at Cincinnati - and Michael
•Lists his favorite NBA player as LeBron James
•Hopes to become a basketball coach after graduation.
•Public relations major with a minor in leadership
I think Ace posted that Eric is on pace to graduate in 3 years. That's quite an accomplishment.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, this was the first comment, and he's still a beast.
ace wrote:Graduation in 4 years shouldn't be assumed, though. Biruta graduates this year, but he worked in a double major. Youncofski graduates this year, too, after only 3 years- that guy's a beast!

As for TJ and Gilvydas, man... I'm going to need a minute to really get my thoughts together, but it seems like it's time to move on. Both have incredible futures ahead of them. They're going to be great.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Walk-ons are always special people.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Great season for the senior class............They are all class acts, and I wish them the best in their future endeavors.

The times I was up applauding T.J are countless. I'll be on my feet for all three Saturday
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Thanks for the update on Eric. If you watch closely, he is always the first off the bench during a time out to congratulate the players on the court. It would be nice if he could get into Saturday's contest ( and definitely shoot the ball)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Senior Day - Honoring TJ, Gilvydas, and Eric

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ace wrote:Eric is graduating, in 3 years, while playing basketball. Walk on or not, that is impressive!
Is it safe to say I'm not the only one on the board that he beat by at least two years?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yep, very safe.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

WHen I started thinking about Saturday, I thought: I can't wait to read Neil's post about the seniors. I haven't been to as many, but it's one of my favorite games of the year.
I talked to Eric before his freshman season and he told me that Hurley recruited him as a walk-on. He was the PG on Aaman's AAU team. He told me he wanted to play for Hurley because he wants to be a coach some day. Great guy who, like Gil and TJ, will be successful in life.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ATPTourFan wrote:

That was great. I had to retweet that!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

When one of the departing seniors is a foreign national, other schools in the pre game activities play the national anthem and display the national flag of that country. To honor Gilvdas Biruta and his homeland, Lithuania, I hope our game day manager has the good sense to do just that. Maybe a push from EZBuckets can make it happen.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

sadly EZ will not be at the game, he is on vacation. Let's see how the atmosphere is different without EZ (or how a replacement does)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

twisted3829 wrote:sadly EZ will not be at the game, he is on vacation. Let's see how the atmosphere is different without EZ (or how a replacement does)
I was wondering that -- is someone going to fill in for EZ on Saturday?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This is way better than any rant I've ever done.

Neil how is it possible to move people without the F word? Teach me!
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Um, it was done since time began.
Did JFK say, "Ask not what the fuck your country can do for
you. Ask what the fuck you can do for your country!"???
Ronald Reagan didn't say,
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this fucking wall!"
Churchill didn't say, "This was England's fuckin finest hour".
MLK didn't say,"I have a fucking dream!"
Get the picture?
Last edited by rodfromcranston 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rodfromcranston wrote:Um, it was done since time began.
Get the picture?
While I see what you're saying... Are you not SO PUMPED UP READING ALL OF THOSE NOW!?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No, they were gold plated the moment they were spoken,
by those men.
I know a guy who punctuates with the f-word, and it just has zero impact.(not you)
It needs to be used for maximum fucking effect!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

'studies' have shown that people that cuss with low to moderate frequency are speaking honestly by allowing their feelings to be known, while those who never cuss are slightly more likely to be disingenuous at times and those who swear like sailors are most likely to just be liars.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sounds about right to me.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Taylor Swift wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:sadly EZ will not be at the game, he is on vacation. Let's see how the atmosphere is different without EZ (or how a replacement does)
My vote is for BlueMan. He can then control the Cox ball launcher and chase down the pigeon with it.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Don't let a microphone within 50 feet of BlueMan, I was nervous enough with the proposal.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Old Rhody could fill in and get the place going without saying a word.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I have a fuckin' dream!
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

It's no secret how I feel about TJ. I've been impressed with him since his freshman year and always thought he was a huge asset to this program.

He could have easily jumped ship when Hurley arrived not knowing his future with the team. But he showed his character and stuck it out knowing this team was undermanned and outgunned in his sophomore year. And when Dan brought in his recruits and transfers at his position his junior year, he didn't sulk. What did he do? Busted his ass, found a role, became a role model and got named co-captain. He earned the respect of the coaching staff and his teammates.

He's not the tallest, not the most talented and not the best athlete. But, he has the largest basketball IQ I've seen in a Rhody player in quite some time. He sees things on the court before everyone else on both offense and defense. His court vision is impeccable. For all those who say he isn't a PG, but the stats suggest he his. He rarely turns the ball over and has made the best passes on this team all year. His defense needs no explanation.

He's a leader and great character guy who does everything the right way and leaves it all on the court. And he exhibited to it's maximum this year. And after learning about what he's been dealing with all season, my respect for him increased 10-fold.

He deserves a 5 minute standing ovation and a 'Thank you, TJ!' chant. Let's show much we appreciate a true student athlete and a great ambassador of the University of Rhode Island.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well said! I hope the Keaney Blue board members lead the way in making sure TJ gets the ovation he deserves.

Wonder if the stream will start early enough to show the Senior Day festivities, hope so.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'm going to miss all of these seniors. Eric, the walk on...what can I say...it's hard work and a thankless endeavor to try and walk on to a team. No one knows your name. You're not recruited. You're typically looked at as having minimal talent, yet you find a way prove yourself worthy of commanding a coaches attention and joining a A 10 team. I tried this endeavor only once and was unsuccessful. One of my friends made it a year or two later, Ghandi Arias, and another buddy I used to play ball with all the time, Olawale Alesh.
Going to miss Gil. It's apparent he's tried hard to improve and was one of the first building blocks for the new start to this basketball program. He will be missed. ATP's Lithuanian brother from another mother...jk/haha.
What do I say about TJ???
He is the rock, the glue, and one of the best damn Rams to ever wear the uniform. The kid has heart. He was doubted by many (you know who you are) and written off by some. He endured the coaching change and worked hard to get in shape. His performances over his last two years here were a far cry from his previous two. I only wish we had him for two more. He fights for every damn ball from the tip off to the buzzer. Guys like him are the toughest to replace because what he brings to a team can't be quantified and doesn't always show up on a stat sheet. I will miss TJ the most and I wish him the best of luck! I hope his son heals well and grows up to be just like him. The world could use a lot more TJs in it.
Last edited by The Dude 9 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Sweep The Leg wrote:It's no secret how I feel about TJ. I've been impressed with him since his freshman year and always thought he was a huge asset to this program.

He could have easily jumped ship when Hurley arrived not knowing his future with the team. But he showed his character and stuck it out knowing this team was undermanned and outgunned in his sophomore year. And when Dan brought in his recruits and transfers at his position his junior year, he didn't sulk. What did he do? Busted his ass, found a role, became a role model and got named co-captain. He earned the respect of the coaching staff and his teammates.

He's not the tallest, not the most talented and not the best athlete. But, he has the largest basketball IQ I've seen in a Rhody player in quite some time. He sees things on the court before everyone else on both offense and defense. His court vision is impeccable. For all those who say he isn't a PG, but the stats suggest he his. He rarely turns the ball over and has made the best passes on this team all year. His defense needs no explanation.

He's a leader and great character guy who does everything the right way and leaves it all on the court. And he exhibited to it's maximum this year. And after learning about what he's been dealing with all season, my respect for him increased 10-fold.

He deserves a 5 minute standing ovation and a 'Thank you, TJ!' chant. Let's show much we appreciate a true student athlete and a great ambassador of the University of Rhode Island.
Amen to that.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Sweep, I couldn't have said it better myself.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Trying to make a case for someone else as my favorite player since my freshman year in 2009, I don't think I can.

I worked for the team first two years at Rhody, the equipment room my other two years, TJ would always be one of the most friendliest guys on the team.

Gonna miss the hell outta TJ! Let's get this W for him!
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

As Neil said, GET IN YOUR SEATS EARLY!!!!
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Posted this in the game thread as well, but feel like the video in the article below belongs in the Senior Day thread to.

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/uri-rams ... nt-josephs
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This video Adam posted is really good.

TJ on Hurley: He (Hurley) can be kind of crazy on the court, but he loves us all. I believe in him, and I love him to death."
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Blue Man wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Um, it was done since time began.
Get the picture?
While I see what you're saying... Are you not SO PUMPED UP READING ALL OF THOSE NOW!?
I like the amended versions too, especially reagan.
How about, Ask not what your fuckin country can do for you...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That works, too, Rudder.
It's the beauty of BM Speak.
You can put the word before or after the subject.
It could replace Ebonics!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:
My vote is for BlueMan. He can then control the Cox ball launcher and chase down the pigeon with it.
Hah no joke there's a standing order that I'm not allowed within 3 feet of an open mic in the Ryan Center.

Well understood, I have no issues with that.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I have no doubt both TJ and Eric will have very successful coaching careers ahead of them. TJ is one the most likable players I've ever witnessed at URI. Eric has more enthusiasm than any player for the team and the game. He's a superfan on the bench, always pumped and supportive for the team. I will miss watching him get so excited during the games.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wow

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That's incredible. I had no idea. I'll be giving TJ a standing ovation from my living room tomorrow.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

This kid is an inspiration, I can't say enough how much I appreciate everything he has done for us. He sacrificed of himself for his team, our team, our product. I will be a loyal Terry Buchanan Jr. fan until I die or lose my mind. I'll say this again, because I guess I'm master of repeating myself, I'm not even sure these kids know what kind of impact they can have in our lives. TJ has made my life better, maybe that sounds dramatic, but its not. I'm not saying we'd be nowhere without him or that he is the second coming, but that every member of this forum has benefited and been enriched by TJ's commitment to Rhody, by his example of selflessness and effort, he has been as important in the transformation of this program as any one person. When I think of this time in Rhody's history I'll always think of Buchanan with ultimate gratitude.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TJ is a special man. It's even more apparent why Jarvis said TJ is the best role model he's ever had. Today is a special day. Get there early!!!
0 x