Game #26: Davidson - Wednesday @ 7pm - PINK OUT

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Game #26: Davidson - Wednesday @ 7pm - PINK OUT

Unread post by TruePoint »

Will do a preview for this game at some point in the next couple days, but wanted to make sure we had a place to talk about it now.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #26: Davidson - Wednesday @ 7pm - PINK OUT

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Time to see just how good Davidson really is.

TP's reputation is on the line here. Just kidding!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm glad Terrell likes playing in front of crowds. He's gonna have another one on wednesday.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I have such respect for Bob McKillop, I can't even trash his team.

That being said, if they were to have their absolute worst performance of the year this Wednesday and maybe feel so bad about themselves that they don't even want to finish the second half, that would be totally fine by me.

For real, though, this game should be so good.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Truly a contrast in styles. We have to make this a physical, grinding game where our defense and athleticism can eventually wear them down.
They will undoubtedly zone us, bad shots are better than no shots, b/c it least it gives us a chance to get a rebound (an area we should win). Limit turnovers as always is the key. Gil and Hassan should be able to operate pretty freely in this one, and our perimeter defense needs to be top notch. Besides the first 10 minutes of the Kansas game no one has been able to consistently score on us for long stretches. I dont see Davidson being able to either despite their gaudy numbers. Will be a close one.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

#1 offense (75 ppg) vs #1 defense (59 ppg)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Going to have to play great D on their 3 pt. shooters all the way to the end.

Can't let up late, even with a decent lead.

GM can relate to that. Davidson hit two 3's in the last 20 seconds to send that game into OT.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:Truly a contrast in styles. We have to make this a physical, grinding game where our defense and athleticism can eventually wear them down.
They will undoubtedly zone us, bad shots are better than no shots, b/c it least it gives us a chance to get a rebound (an area we should win). Limit turnovers as always is the key. Gil and Hassan should be able to operate pretty freely in this one, and our perimeter defense needs to be top notch. Besides the first 10 minutes of the Kansas game no one has been able to consistently score on us for long stretches. I dont see Davidson being able to either despite their gaudy numbers. Will be a close one.
A zone against February Rhody could still be problematic, but it doesn't scare me as much as a zone against December Rhody.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

3 pointers are great weapons, they kill runs or accelerate them. Agree we have to make sure every one of them is contested, cant give up open looks in transition or in loose ball situations - like when the SJU kid got the open look.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

"A zone against February Rhody could still be problematic, but it doesn't scare me as much as a zone against December Rhody"

True statement Ace, in our last 3 games we are averaging 75 ppg and are 17/42 (40%) from 3 pt land. Small sample, but a marked improvement from earlier in the season. Jared and Jarvis have a lot to do with that.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Personally I am loving all the media love that Davidson is getting right now. It gives us an even better chance at getting some love if we knock them off.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:"A zone against February Rhody could still be problematic, but it doesn't scare me as much as a zone against December Rhody"

True statement Ace, in our last 3 games we are averaging 75 ppg and are 17/42 (40%) from 3 pt land. Small sample, but a marked improvement from earlier in the season. Jared and Jarvis have a lot to do with that.
George Mason tried going zone yesterday, didnt last very long after we drained a few.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Here is the link to Davidson's board. It appears they caught on to TP's assessment of the team :roll:

http://davidsoncats.com/viewforum.php?f=2
0 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Is there any type of "4 tickets for $44" deals anywhere for this game? I checked the team website and didn't see anything along those lines...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Reading their board, they don't swear and they aren't very critical of us.

What's wrong with them?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

They're from North Carolina. If they had to spend 2 months in this shit weather we endure every year, trust me, they would be swearing. Plus being new to the conference plays a big part.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Contrast of styles is clearly headline of this game. I think we sometime confuse offensive teams with softness. While they may not be an extremely physical team, I am not sure I would label them as soft either. We certainly pride ourselves on a physical brand of ball and the fact we will outwork and out-tough anyone, and I don't expect this game to be any different. McKillop's offensive coaching and the Davidson team will be the biggest challenge we have had within the league on that end of the ball, but we will also be their most difficult challenge on the defensive end. Rhody is getting better and better each game, especially on the offensive end. I expect a very difficult game, as most are for us, but a win. Like Rod has said, if we don't win this game, we don't deserve to go anywhere.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The A10 website is so bad I couldn't find stats, but I'm guessing Davidson shoots FTs well, meaning if URI has 25+ Fouls they're done
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Espn has them at 72% as a team. But starters and main players outstanding. Gibbs 89%, Kalinoski 85% and Sullivan 76%
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

71% in conference play
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

here's the a10 stats page, you have to go to the sport you want on the a10 site before going to stats

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewContent.d ... ID=1025877
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

And of course this game is not on any non-Rhode Island station. Very frustrating.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As of their last game, Davidson has a cumulative .724 FT%. As for 3-pointers, their average is .395 and have canned 268 treys for the season, 10.7 per game. Their 3 point attempts are 679 or 27.1 per game.

Team scoring average is 80.4 and they have five players with average ppg in double digits. Tyler Kalinoski is the leader at 16.2, followed closely by Jack Gibbs at 15.6. Davidson is the best team on offense that URI will face this season.

Note: Thanks, Rhody 83 for alerting me to my error. I did transpose the FT and 3-point totals.
Last edited by Obadiah 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If Davidson can't hurt us on the inside, we will guard the perimeter and not be killed by treys. We have three outside shooters right now in EC, Jared and Jarvis as well as players who can score and rebound inside against Davidson. URI will have to have a real bad game to lose. It is good to see us getting better at season end.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obadiah wrote:As of their last game, Davidson has a cumulative .724 FT%, on 3-pointers their average is .392 and have canned 315 treys for the season, 12.6 per game. Their 3 point attempts are 435 or 17.4 per game.

Team scoring average is 80.4 and they have five players with average ppg in double digits. Tyler Kalinoski is the leader at 16.2, followed closely by Jack Gibbs at 15.6. Davidson is the best team on offense that URI will face this season.
Obadiah, I think you mixed FT stats for 3 point stats (315 out of 435 = 72.4% and 12.6 out of 17.4 = 72.4%). You stated those as 3 point stats. Davidson has made 268 out of 679 three pointers; hitting 10.7 out of 27.2 per game. That is a lot of 3 point attempts per game.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This will be a game of wills. As in, whoever gets the other team to try and play with their style will win.

If we play an up-tempo, swarming D - they don't have a shot. If we have a rough game offensively, and things are slowed down, I'll be much more nervous.

The nice thing is that usually in good offense/good defense battles, the good D tends to win.

Cannot freakin wait til Wednesday.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Obadiah wrote:As of their last game, Davidson has a cumulative .724 FT%, on 3-pointers their average is .392 and have canned 315 treys for the season, 12.6 per game. Their 3 point attempts are 435 or 17.4 per game.

And worth noting that URI is the best defense that Davidson will face this season.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

adam914 wrote:

And worth noting that URI is the best defense that Davidson will face this season.
Davidson did play Virginia who ranked #2 in defensive efficiency only behind Kentucky. And Davidson has scored the most points against Virginia in regulation (Miami was a 2OT game) this season. They scored more points than Duke, UNC, Louisville, VCU and Maryland and @Virginia by the way.

Rhody is very good defensively, top 5 in the rankings. But, Virginia is much better and plays tougher competition. I'm impressed what Davidson did down there.

We need to use our athleticism and play strong perimeter defense without fouling. No stupid hand check fouls that get them the bonus. And make their shooters work on the defensive side. Use constant ball movement and run them tired. Tired legs aren't good for jump shooters.

This is the most important game of the season. A team we are in the conversation with in bubble watch 2015, but they are the media darling. Us beating them may open some eyes.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I was going to mention UVA. They are great but they have a different flavor than we do. Not sure if it is a easy comparison where you can just cite their better competition and lofty ranking. For whatever reason I think their nationally elite defense is not so far ahead of ours. Especially a pink out with so much on the line versus being Davidson showing up for a mid december game.

I know this, 3ball leaves long rebounds. Our guards rebound well and they like to run down the floor.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

There are 2 keys to the game, dominating the glass and 3 point defense. If we can hold Davidson to 6 or less 3s well win
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Good point SPG. Rebound numbers for centers and forwards
plummeted after the 3 point rule.
The ball comes off the rim and takes long bounces. (see St. Joe's game)

I'll be wearing the most hideous pink hoodie, Wednesday,
courtesy of my daughter.
Milan asked me if I was going to wear pink? I only have a pink tie and a pink dress shirt.
So, now I can conform to the Pink Out dress code.
Can't wait for that game.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

6 3's? Would love to see that, if we do we'll win easy.

Since they average 11 made 3's per game, I'll be happy if we hold them to less than 10.

If so, we win.

Well, that and rebound and make our FT's. We've been doing that lately, just keep it up.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

"Real men" wear pink.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Does anyone have an idea of live video streaming for this game, will it be on A10 Network?

Second, any idea on the opening line? That will tell us a lot.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

CoxHub streaming for $5
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Any stream for this game? Edited - ATP was writing at the same time - any FREE stream for this game?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

re COXHub, I'm in Philadelphia, is this something that I can order outside of the Cox Cable Network, do you know?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sweep The Leg wrote: Davidson did play Virginia who ranked #2 in defensive efficiency only behind Kentucky. And Davidson has scored the most points against Virginia in regulation (Miami was a 2OT game) this season. They scored more points than Duke, UNC, Louisville, VCU and Maryland and @Virginia by the way.

Rhody is very good defensively, top 5 in the rankings. But, Virginia is much better and plays tougher competition. I'm impressed what Davidson did down there.

We need to use our athleticism and play strong perimeter defense without fouling. No stupid hand check fouls that get them the bonus. And make their shooters work on the defensive side. Use constant ball movement and run them tired. Tired legs aren't good for jump shooters.

This is the most important game of the season. A team we are in the conversation with in bubble watch 2015, but they are the media darling. Us beating them may open some eyes.
You're right, I forgot they played Virginia.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes anyone can pay $5 for the live stream. There will not be a free one. Just pay it. Cox is a great partner for Rhody basketball.

If you like DiSano's work you will be happy to pay just $5.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

ATP, no doubt.

I have no prob with the $5, just making sure it's something that works outside of the Cox Network.

Thanks for the insight.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Unfortunately, I'll only be able to catch the first half, at best, so don't really want to pay if I'm not going to see the whole game. Please in the past Cox' stream hasn't been very good. Has it improved over the past couple of months.

I do love DiSano's work though.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:Yes anyone can pay $5 for the live stream. There will not be a free one. Just pay it. Cox is a great partner for Rhody basketball.

Chris had mentioned that he had done his last URI broadcast of the season. Are you saying he's on the call Weds? Did I miss something?
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Keys to game, add to Twisted's, we can't have Gil and Hassan on the bench in foul trouble, it will also be interesting to see how the game is called, especially the level of aggressiveness they allow at the three point line...go Rhody!!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Yes anyone can pay $5 for the live stream. There will not be a free one. Just pay it. Cox is a great partner for Rhody basketball.

Chris had mentioned that he had done his last URI broadcast of the season. Are you saying he's on the call Weds? Did I miss something?
I think he just means Chris gets paid by Cox to do his reporting on URI, so buying coverage from Cox helps underwrite that cost.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NY Daily News has article on game....headline...."Surprising Davidson, URI prepare to collide with Big Dance at stake"

http://nydn.us/1DMDr64
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Interesting comments about the recruiting pipeline, or lack thereof thus far, from St Anthony's to URI. Seems Dan is waiting for someone just like us fans. :)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Would it be too much to ask for the NY Daily News to use a picture of the bench from this year if they are going to use one?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Does Preston's picture offend you?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.