Hare, Jordan Hare

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Roz
ARD

Hare, Jordan Hare

Unread post by Roz »

Hare kicking ass! Finally - developing quite nicely!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Hare

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Nice
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Looked like a beast tonight..... Tough loss but so much to look forward to in the future...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A lot of us were jumping the gun on Hare.

He will be HUGE for us. Biggest positive of the night, easily.

Practice FT's though, please.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

With continued work and some additional emphasis on getting the ball to him down low, will help openup the perimeter shooters, tough nite for Powell.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:A lot of us were jumping the gun on Hare.

They *all* need to practice FTs. I'm glad someone started this thread because as disappointing as this loss is, the development of Hare is really something to be excited about. RBs, blocks, a couple of dunks ..... once his offense gets developed, he'll be a force in the A10
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody74 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:A lot of us were jumping the gun on Hare.

They *all* need to practice FTs. I'm glad someone started this thread because as disappointing as this loss is, the development of Hare is really something to be excited about. RBs, blocks, a couple of dunks ..... once his offense gets developed, he'll be a force in the A10
To be fair to the rest of the team, Hare and Malesevic combined to go 4-for-12 from the line. Take out their 25 percent shooting, and that's 6-for-8 for the rest of team. I think it's more of an issue that Powell and Munford and Malone don't really attack the basket enough - In Munford and Malone's case, I think they settle for too many 3s, and in Powell's case, he lacks the size to draw a lot of contact, as most opponents are big enough to sag off him and then just block the shot.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Hare found his beast mode tonight! 8 points, 16 rebounds, 7 blocks..."garbage clean up aisle seven"
He's finally playing with some confidence. It's nice to see.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

He was a monster tonight. No shit people were jumping the gun on Hare.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Be a certifiable beast Jordan Hare !!!
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

2nd in the A10 in blocks! Not bad.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Follow it up with a big game at Auburn !!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Hare, Jordan Hare

Unread post by ace »

after the Loyola game:

Dan Hurley says that Hare does not weight 200 pounds and his long-limbed, thin muscle body is a major detriment right now. The team has Hare on a high calorie diet but nothing can replace the value of playing major minutes under heavy pressure this soon in his freshman season. "He dictated that by giving a really great effort," Hurley said. "He's a building block guy for us. He's gotten his brains beat in a little bit here early. He's playing college basketball in the post at 197 pounds. That's tough to do."
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He is only a frosh so I expect big things from him
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

You could see the talent was there in the early games jsut a freshman getting used to College BB and also getting conficence.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I think a lot of this speedy development is because he's been playing at the 4 with Brooks at the 5.

He's super bouncy, not a lot of meat on him, so I don't think he'll ever be a 5 unless he puts on 40-50 pounds.

He's a lot like KG - as a 4, he's a force, but when you stick him at the 5 all alone, he's not a banger and his production will suffer. When he's not alone in the middle, he doesn't have to worry about post-up D on a bigger body, he can just come in for help and swat the shit out of balls like he's been doing.

I think he's going to be the 4 next year with Biruta at the 5 (Holy crap an actual front court!) so I think we'll see this lineup with Nik on the bench moving forward. It certainly looks like it's working.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

also nice to have scorer coming off the bench
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

agree with that sentiment above, he needs to be a guy that comes from the weak side for blocks as his length and spring allows him to jump over and around people. With Biruta likely covering the opponents beefy guy Hare can play the 4 and come over for help. could be a lethal combo.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

A week or so ago, Hurley was quoted, regarding recruiting on what they were looking for, a shooter and "the best available big man his staff can track down."...Is it possible this might have lit a fire under Jordan? We heard Hurley mention Jordan's playing time relating to his work in practice, then his comment that he's recruiting a big man. I wonder if Jordan is now "getting it". Playing a lot more minutes now and a lot more aggressively, and playing well. Whatever the reason, I'm glad it's working.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

He needs a Hank Slider(showing my age)type free throw doctor to come work with him............he/s going to get to the line alot.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:A week or so ago, Hurley was quoted, regarding recruiting on what they were looking for, a shooter and "the best available big man his staff can track down."...Is it possible this might have lit a fire under Jordan? We heard Hurley mention Jordan's playing time relating to his work in practice, then his comment that he's recruiting a big man. I wonder if Jordan is now "getting it". Playing a lot more minutes now and a lot more aggressively, and playing well. Whatever the reason, I'm glad it's working.
that's not necessarily a knock on Hare. We need more than one athletic big man. Aaman shows heart, but he's not as athletic as Hare and needs to develop as well. Brooks is limited and is gone after this year anyway. Birutta will do well, but he's here for only 2 years too. We always need a good big man.

Regardless of the motivation, Hare certainly looks like a different layer the last two games. Let's hope he can keep his strength up.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We have Oneykaba, sometime this lifetime. He's a physical monster.
You can never have too many quality bigs. Fouls, or a bad night can suddenly make
a game change, without depth at every poistion.
That said, I'm very pleased to see Hare's sudden progress.
He should be an important player here, for the next few years.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Both of the quotes from Hurley tell some of what he's like as a coach. He was critical, earlier, of Hare's practice effort. Then Jordan picks it up, for whatever reason, and he credits that, saying his improved game/practice effort is directly related to his playing time.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

his free throw stroke is fine, just needs to gain more confidence and consistency. his form is not flawed from what i can tell.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I agree. I think he just needs more confidence and repetition. Luckily, his stroke does seem good.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

With Biruta and the BigO coming on board next year, I see a couple of bangers, together with banger Aaman, to allow JH to kind of float in and block shots and change trajectory of shots.

Good big kids are hard to find....if the staff thinks there is one available for us they will use the scholarship on him....if not I don't think they will waste it on a project.

I still would like a reasonable facsimile to Jimmy Baron to shoot from distance.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ramulous, hopefully Xavier will become at least partially as good as Jimmy from 3FG land. Not sure if we can find anyone to do exactly what Jimmy did, but if Xavier can shoot anywhere near as good and still provide the other elements of his game that Jimmy never had, we'll be good.

Not sure who the big outside scorer will be in the 3rd Hurley year quite yet.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

ATP.....when Jimmy Baron took a three, no matter from how far, I was shocked if it didn't go in.....

....I only want a facsimile......I don't have that feeling with anyone on our roster.....including XM...I hope he continues to progress.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ATPTourFan wrote:Ramulous, hopefully Xavier will become at least partially as good as Jimmy from 3FG land. Not sure if we can find anyone to do exactly what Jimmy did, but if Xavier can shoot anywhere near as good and still provide the other elements of his game that Jimmy never had, we'll be good.

Not sure who the big outside scorer will be in the 3rd Hurley year quite yet.
We may not really have a need. Matthews will be able to shoot some, Martin and Reichelle as well. But we're going to have a pretty solid inside presence moving forward.

A lot of high BB IQ and smart coaching - I don't think we'll see a lot of 15+ 3pt attempt nights moving forward. We're only leaning on it this year because we don't have the size, or an inside threat to draw double-teams.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I still think #1 priority for recruiting is a shooter, someone like Severe, who can back up Munford as a frosh and come in and start as a sophomore. The kid who intrigues me is Cullen Russo, the kid from Minnesota. He's 6"9" and can play the 2,3 or 4 as a backup for a year and maybe start at the 2 as a sophomore. He's got a good looking stroke, especially for someone that tall. Imagine a starting backcourt of 6"4" and 6"9"?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

3 pt shooting is a part of the modern game....building a team without great shooters is akin to building an NFL team in the present day without a passing attack. no matter how big we are inside we need at least 3 guys that can consistently hit the 3. you cant win nowadays without it.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:I still think #1 priority for recruiting is a shooter, someone like Severe, who can back up Munford as a frosh and come in and start as a sophomore. The kid who intrigues me is Cullen Russo, the kid from Minnesota. He's 6"9" and can play the 2,3 or 4 as a backup for a year and maybe start at the 2 as a sophomore. He's got a good looking stroke, especially for someone that tall. Imagine a starting backcourt of 6"4" and 6"9"?
The coach has been talking since the first practices about their need for shooters- either by recruitment or development, so it's high on their list, too. And every team, always, is looking for big men.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The more good big guys we have the better we will be

Foul trouble when we play good big guys
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Hare needs some work and some bulking up. But the talent is there, just needs development time. Kenny Green was a beanpole when he arrived in Kingston. He was a solid 245 when he graduated.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

How tall is Jordan Hare? The ProJo lists him at 6'10"; this must be coming from URI. He doesn't look it.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I would put him fairly close to 6'10". He towers over the rest of our team.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He only took 1 shot in the game, I would like to see him get some looks
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

reef wrote:He only took 1 shot in the game, I would like to see him get some looks
I think that portion of his game still needs a lot of work. He looks really uncomfortable when he catches the ball in the post. I think I've seen him take three or four hookshots, all of the misses, and he's also fumbled a few drop off passes and what not. As of right now, he's probably more valuable focusing on offensive rebounding and defense as opposed to looking for his own offense. (I think Hurley probably shares this opinion somewhat - Even with how starved the Rams are for interior offense, they don't really force feed the post that often.)
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

OK so I have to say I've been impressed with Hare's blocking ability and athletecism, and his upside for the future. BUT, THE LACK OF REBOUNDS IN YESTERDAYS GAME IS INEXCUSABLE. Hare played 32 minutes against a team who doesn't have a player taller than 6'8, yet only had 2 rebounds. Even mike powell and everyone else had 2 boards!!! C'MON MAAAAAN. Neither team shot higher than 38% FG so there were plenty of missed shots and rebounding opportunities for the tallest and most athletic player in the gym. If he only has 1 shot and 2 rebounds in 32 minutes against an undersized team, then when are they ever gonna give him the ball down low to imrove his post-up game or at least create an inside-outside opportunity for a 3ptr
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIhoopz14 wrote:OK so I have to say I've been impressed with Hare's blocking ability and athletecism, and his upside for the future. BUT, THE LACK OF REBOUNDS IN YESTERDAYS GAME IS INEXCUSABLE. Hare played 32 minutes against a team who doesn't have a player taller than 6'8, yet only had 2 rebounds. Even mike powell and everyone else had 2 boards!!! C'MON MAAAAAN. Neither team shot higher than 38% FG so there were plenty of missed shots and rebounding opportunities for the tallest and most athletic player in the gym. If he only has 1 shot and 2 rebounds in 32 minutes against an undersized team, then when are they ever gonna give him the ball down low to imrove his post-up game or at least create an inside-outside opportunity for a 3ptr
I understand what you mean, but it has nothing to do with height. Check the weight of those guys instead. He is just too thin and not strong enough right now. In the two games where we faced teams with big solid guys down low, he hasnt been able to do anything on the boards. He is a kid playing against men at times right now when it comes to physical strength and size (not height).

From all reports, they are working with him on this and once he is able to add some bulk to that 6'10" frame he will be a force on the boards as we have seen glimpses of this season.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ryan Brooks had 10 rebounds, a career high.
I think Hare is more confident on the defensive end, and seems to have the yips on the offensive ends.
Needs to get stronger to finish shots and maintain position.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RIhoopz14 wrote:OK so I have to say I've been impressed with Hare's blocking ability and athletecism, and his upside for the future. BUT, THE LACK OF REBOUNDS IN YESTERDAYS GAME IS INEXCUSABLE. Hare played 32 minutes against a team who doesn't have a player taller than 6'8, yet only had 2 rebounds. Even mike powell and everyone else had 2 boards!!! C'MON MAAAAAN. Neither team shot higher than 38% FG so there were plenty of missed shots and rebounding opportunities for the tallest and most athletic player in the gym. If he only has 1 shot and 2 rebounds in 32 minutes against an undersized team, then when are they ever gonna give him the ball down low to imrove his post-up game or at least create an inside-outside opportunity for a 3ptr
I'll make an excuse .... Hare was banging against 3 guys all night who outweighed him by 40 pounds each. I don't think we realized how deep GM is. Besides the poor FT shooting, we got killed on the boards. GM may not have had any 6-10 guys, but their 6-8 guys are quite capable.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

Good point 74, we get fixed on size so much, we forget the importance of muscularity. Looking at the size of some of the Mason roster, I got lulled me into thinking we had a chance against Mason. Instead we got beat on the boards in a way not matched by the better teams the Rams have played. But even then we were still in this game.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Agreed with the above. Rebounding isn't all about height...if it were, Blake Vedder would be all conference.

I saw a lot of good positioning from Hare last night. A lot of those rebounds that came out to the wings were caused by Hare having good body position and keeping the bigger guys (somehow) away from the hoop.

He's developing at a very quick rate.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Right, i understand that he is outmuscled in the post by smaller and stronger players, and I know that in time that will improve. What concerns me is that in 32 minutes, even when out-muscled, he should be able to grab more than 2 boards! That tells me it is a positioning problem (drifting to the perimiter) or he isnt boxing out (anyone can box out a stronger player if they have position)! If Brooks can get 10 boards, Hare can do it!

You certainly could say the same "out-muscled" point for Munford and Powell, our 2 guards, who combined for 6 rebounds in similar minutes. I think in practice the Hurleys should emphasize Hare rebounding against stronger opponents. Do a drill on an empty court where Hare starts at the foul line and Biruta starts at the top of the key, and a coach or player throws up a 3ptr. Let them fight for the rebound until Hare gets the rebound 8/10 times. This will give him the confidence needed to work against a stronger player, and also teach him the importance of positioning and boxing out.

Hare has great athleticism and a promising future. But even at his weight, if he is playing 30 min/game there is no reason he shouldn't be averaging 6-9 RPG.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Blue Man wrote: He's developing at a very quick rate.
I agree. Bobby Hurley mentioned on the radio last night that they're not ignoring improving his offense. His D is certainly better right now, but he implied that they'll be working with him on his post moves. Even if he gets only 2 or 3 buckets a game, it'll keep the defense honest and allow him to pass the ball back to the perimeter for some easy jumpers. Last night, GM pressured the wings so much because they didn't have to worry about the inside game.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bobby had a great line about "having fun" with Jordan on offense, as he gets more acclimated to the college game.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Most teams have and will overplay us on the perimeter and on the wings...because they know there is little threat in exposing the lane against us.

The guy on Seton Hall was literally 100 pounds heavier than Hare, and he killed us. Hare needs more muscle and experience to be a consistent rebounder, I am confident both will come.

Just wait until Biruta is occupying space and 2 guys and Hare is roaming free blocking shots and catching lobs for dunks. He probably will never be a true back to the basket post player. But he is going to be a beast. Best URI shot blocker since Kenny Green. Book it!
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I agree that Hare needs more muscle and needs to further develop his skills. His lack of size may be a contributing factor as to why people can move him towards the basket when they are posting up down low (in preparation for a shot), but I disagree with the notion that his weight is/should be a contributing factor as to why he gets out rebounded by other big men.
The reason I make this argument is because many big men try too much to use their upper body as leverage to move or push another person. In fact a persons real leverage and center of gravity is in the hips and waist region. Quite frankly, if you put your a$$ in to it, you can move almost any one off the block down low. I'm 6'1" and my buddy is 6'10". I could out rebound him because I was able to get lower than him when trying to move him away from the basket. Regardless of my experiences, the the principle still holds true. It's physics.
In my opinion, Hare just needs to be taught to use his lower body to box out and move people away from the basket.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Just remember, ESPN Science demontrated Kevin Love boxing out a sumo wrestler, who weighted more than 100 lbs. more than Love.
Love's technique is so perfect, he creates 2,800 lbs. of force on his box outs.
It's why he's the best pure rebounder since Rodman.
0 x