Game #19: @ Fordham - Wednesday 7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #19: @ Fordham - Wednesday 7pm

Unread post by TruePoint »

Obie, you are right that there are many tests awaiting this team over the next month, and they probably won't ace every one of them. But I think the overall trend will continue to stay on an upward trajectory.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

You can't look at game X and say a certain player had to excel or that means he's
not that good.
GW is just one of a series of games for Jarvis to mature and get comfortable
adjusting to D-1 ball.
We've had PGs like Kevin Compton and Carlos Easterling, who looked like
nothing as freshmen and became team leaders in time.
Watch him on defense, and you'll see an already elite defender, with
the ability to disrupt the opposition.
He'd have plenty more assists if those who he passed the ball to
could finish better.
I don't have any doubts about Jarvis Garrett's future.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yes, rod, one game is not going to do it. But my comments have nothing to do with JG's long term future. I am just looking on the reality of the recent past and the next few games. I use average stats to shorthand my points, but I am no lover of averages, preferring to look at each game in depth and see if there is a trend line to hang on. That analysis shows that JG is having troubles with certain match-ups and tougher opponents. And that is why I looking at the next three games starting with GW for any sign. We are 6-2 in conference having played 4 games against the bottom three, now comes the real test. That's all I'm saying.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

late in responding here

but I was watching last night and couldn't believe what I saw !

seriously tho.. FT's and we win these games by 10+

I am trying to work on getting to the game on Saturday.........
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Someone brought up Scoochie Smith...his averages last year, 3pts, 1.5 assists, 35% shooting, in close to 20 mins/game.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

But do you remember how good he was in post season?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Believe it or not (may be the 1st time) I am 100% with Rod on this kid. His shots will start to fall. With the great defense he plays I wonder if his legs are a little shot which effects his jumper. Maybe if he plays fewer minutes his shot will improve but this may result in other problems.......
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Not sure why I'd want to do this, but I missed the game last night - is there a replay anywhere?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Last night was the first game I watched on my computer. I was impressed by the quality of the video although the camera person left something to be desired.

It must have been unnerving for Hassan to play before family and friends. It reminded me of ARD on senior night.

When EC is on the court everyone else on URI holds back. EC had dribbling issues before his injury and his injury has made this worse. It did appear mid-way through the first half that he stopped dribbling until near the end of the game. The injury has effected his quickness which shows in his defense and rebounding as well. Until he is healthier, Dan should only use him in spots, and his offense should be limited to outside shooting. His presence was a net negative on the team's performance.

I believe the negative defensive effort by URI was mainly caused by EC. You need five contributing players to make a good defensive effort otherwise offenses do what offenses try to do - expose your weakness.

No sense belaboring the FT shooting issue even though it was by far the main reason we didn't blow Fordham into the river.

I didn't see Matt Butler get into the game. I think Dan has seen enough for awhile. Players need to be ready when their opportunity presents itself.

Jared should be given the green light to take every open shot. When he learns to finish consistently with his left hand, he will be unstoppable.

Jarvis runs the offense better than anyone since before the Baron and Jerry eras. Sure he makes his freshman mistakes, but he gets teammates their shots, and gets better and better.

This was an awful game to watch. It says something when can play this badly and win against anyone.

Let's hope the weather holds so I can get down Saturday afternoon.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Did anyone else have trouble getting a full screen? By the way, the camera man was awful. Never saw the go ahead basket by Fordham. All in all, happy to have the win.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i never tried full screen

if anyone wants to hear Steve MacDonald's call you can hear it on the post game show here: (the call is right about the 31:00 mark) http://www.920whjj.com/media/podcast-ur ... -25770641/
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:Nice play by Garrett to hit EC up the court on the winning play. I actually think it was a good no call on the foul. I'm not sure if EC was staring down the ref or looking to see if he was calling the basket good.
Garrett played like a freshman, which is understandable but makes it hard for URI to win.
As others have said, Terrell has been awesome.

Iggy, here is what I saw in the video (I have seriously now watched it over 50 times and always smile :D ). I have watched the performance of every player multiple times :D Here are my observations that thoughts for URI then on Fordham:
URI last 9 seconds:
- I agree nice play by Garrett to hit EC up the court throwing pass almost half the length of the court
- TJ grabbed the made FT by Thomas and got the ball to Garrett very quickly. (enjou hearing the Homer announcer yell "Money" when the FT is made :D
- Garrett dribbled only one time and passed a good, crisp pass on the money, in stride to EC throwing pass almost half the length of the court
- Great Coaching in that EC then drove to the hoop. How quickly BOTH TJ and Garrett acted I think led to EC being able to find an open lane to the hoop
- Getting to the Hoop quickly allowed EC to not only miss but get his own rebound, miss again and then still have time for Biruta to tip in the rebound - so URI got off 3 shots in the total span of 9 seconds!!
- Last year we would have put the ball into EC's hands to start with - TJ to Garrett to EC was nice to watch (over and over)
- EC can create his own shot and he made a nice drive to the hoop - had the Fordham player taken a flop scarily EC could have been called for an offensive foul but he didn't
- EC held his ground after his miss and grabbed the rebound - with the closest competitor to taking the rebound away from EC being none other than his own teammate - Biruta - who also garnered good inside position
- EC's 2nd miss led to Biruta's fantastic tip in, but have to credit EC for getting to the hoop, getting his own rebound, keeping the ball alive and then Biruta's heroics
- Also note how none other than Garrett is right there beside Biruta looking for a possible rebound
- Great job all the way around by URI. I don't know how many times in the last several years I see us not even get a shot off at ALL in situations like this - never mind now getting 3 shots off in 9 seconds :D
- Bottom line, get the ball in the hands of your best offensive player and Rhody did
- All accomplished too with Hassan Martin having fouled out

Now for Fordham in the last 9 seconds:
- The Fordham Board is not happy that TP took Sengfelder out of the game.
- Sengfelder is 6'7" 240 pounds and had 9 rebounds in the game
- TP should have known or been prepared for URI to drive inside knowing they did not need to take a 3 pointer, only 1 to tie, 2 to win
- TP had Thomas 6'2", Severe 6'2", Smith 6'2", Rhoomes 6'8" and with 16 rebounds and 4 blocks and also Paschall 6'6" in the game
- Look at the 6'6" Paschall number 4 in the video. He had a nice place to watch all the action but that is all he did was watch flat-footed
- Look at Rhoomes - he also watched the action flat- footed
- EC and Biruta gained and kept their inside position with nobody really trying to push them out
- Only guy inside trying for Fordham was #1 Mandel Thomas
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I watched it a lot too because there's so much to see. As I said, I don't like in bounding the ball to the best scorer, which Hurley has done in the past and it hasn't worked out. X going coast to coast last year and turning it over, for instance. I like that he has a PG he trusts, who can then get it to whoever is open.
It's easy for Fordham fans to second guess. With 9 seconds TP wanted a quick lineup to cover URI going up the court. Hurley did the same thing against UMass -- went with four guards near the end of the game and UMass got 2 offensive rebounds in one set with Gil on the bench.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think if I was TP I would be playing that last 6 seconds over and over again. Paschal may be a very promising offensive player but his defense in that last 6 seconds was invisible - he might as well have been sitting in the stands but of course the floor was a good view for him. 6'6" and he is not even trying to get in the action - just watching - chalk it up as a freshman mistake.
But no excuse for Rhoomes to stand there flatfooted - two biggest guys never had their feet leave the floor.
Guard Thomas is the guy inside mixing it up.
So not just about who is on the floor but what do they do while on it.
Great coaching by Hurley I think though bottom line - even if the shot by Biruta had missed it was 9 very well executed seconds
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Newsflash: I do not coach Fordham. Don't associate me with that mess, please. Haha
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

When all is said and done Garrett will be the best PG that the school has had since beginning play in the Ryan Center. And it won't be close.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

scine20 wrote:When all is said and done Garrett will be the best PG that the school has had since beginning play in the Ryan Center. And it won't be close.
I've seen 3 of the best PGs in URI history. If Jarvis is 75% of what they were, I'll be thrilled.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Nice play by Garrett to hit EC up the court on the winning play. I actually think it was a good no call on the foul. I'm not sure if EC was staring down the ref or looking to see if he was calling the basket good.
Garrett played like a freshman, which is understandable but makes it hard for URI to win.
As others have said, Terrell has been awesome.

Iggy, here is what I saw in the video (I have seriously now watched it over 50 times and always smile :D ). I have watched the performance of every player multiple times :D Here are my observations that thoughts for URI then on Fordham:
URI last 9 seconds:
- I agree nice play by Garrett to hit EC up the court throwing pass almost half the length of the court
- TJ grabbed the made FT by Thomas and got the ball to Garrett very quickly. (enjou hearing the Homer announcer yell "Money" when the FT is made :D
- Garrett dribbled only one time and passed a good, crisp pass on the money, in stride to EC throwing pass almost half the length of the court
- Great Coaching in that EC then drove to the hoop. How quickly BOTH TJ and Garrett acted I think led to EC being able to find an open lane to the hoop
- Getting to the Hoop quickly allowed EC to not only miss but get his own rebound, miss again and then still have time for Biruta to tip in the rebound - so URI got off 3 shots in the total span of 9 seconds!!
- Last year we would have put the ball into EC's hands to start with - TJ to Garrett to EC was nice to watch (over and over)
- EC can create his own shot and he made a nice drive to the hoop - had the Fordham player taken a flop scarily EC could have been called for an offensive foul but he didn't
- EC held his ground after his miss and grabbed the rebound - with the closest competitor to taking the rebound away from EC being none other than his own teammate - Biruta - who also garnered good inside position
- EC's 2nd miss led to Biruta's fantastic tip in, but have to credit EC for getting to the hoop, getting his own rebound, keeping the ball alive and then Biruta's heroics
- Also note how none other than Garrett is right there beside Biruta looking for a possible rebound
- Great job all the way around by URI. I don't know how many times in the last several years I see us not even get a shot off at ALL in situations like this - never mind now getting 3 shots off in 9 seconds :D
- Bottom line, get the ball in the hands of your best offensive player and Rhody did
- All accomplished too with Hassan Martin having fouled out

Now for Fordham in the last 9 seconds:
- The Fordham Board is not happy that TP took Sengfelder out of the game.
- Sengfelder is 6'7" 240 pounds and had 9 rebounds in the game
- TP should have known or been prepared for URI to drive inside knowing they did not need to take a 3 pointer, only 1 to tie, 2 to win
- TP had Thomas 6'2", Severe 6'2", Smith 6'2", Rhoomes 6'8" and with 16 rebounds and 4 blocks and also Paschall 6'6" in the game
- Look at the 6'6" Paschall number 4 in the video. He had a nice place to watch all the action but that is all he did was watch flat-footed
- Look at Rhoomes - he also watched the action flat- footed
- EC and Biruta gained and kept their inside position with nobody really trying to push them out
- Only guy inside trying for Fordham was #1 Mandel Thomas
I would love the video to show where TJ ran to after it dropped hahaha - just blind excitement. No one deserves these kind of wins more than him.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Billyboy saw Ernie Calverley play? I'm impressed!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Billyboy saw Ernie Calverley play? I'm impressed!
That's why I said 3 of the best, not the 3 best. No, Calverly was a little before my time...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's amazing in Rhode Island history, that there have been
three different national scoring leaders, all All Americans,
who were the leading career scorers in college basketball, when they
graduated.
Three who were the Pete Maravich of their day.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:As I said, I don't like in bounding the ball to the best scorer, which Hurley has done in the past and it hasn't worked out. X going coast to coast last year and turning it over, for instance. I like that he has a PG he trusts, who can then get it to whoever is open.
The difference between coaching the way you want to versus coaching the personnel you have.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I used the a10 app and it worked great on ipad
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Can we please stop talking about that time in middle school when you hit a free throw at some CYO competition, or what you did in an empty gym? It's only about 5% more relevant than talking about how many free throws you can hit in a video game. There's a giant difference between shooting free throws with no one around and nothing on the line and shooting them in pressure situations with a gym of people heckling you.
Good lord Dan, could you have plagiarized me any more in the coach's show?!
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

good recollection Rhowdy - he did seem to read from that script. It was hilarious, referencing the Elks free throw competitions.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Oh man! Too funny. I chuckled when Dan said that. It is true though....
0 x