Game #19: @ Fordham - Wednesday 7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Game #19: @ Fordham - Wednesday 7pm

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea we are who we thought we were.

Kmac is a troll
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I'm probably reading into this too much, but did anybody take notice of EC after Biruta's game-winner? He slowly walked over to the herd of Rhody players that were celebrating and he showed no emotion whatsoever. Almost like he could care less about the victory, but was more upset that he didn't make his own shot. I watched the video again to make sure I wasn't imagining things. Very strange reaction to such an emotional win.

Either way, I'll take the W! This team seems to have a knack for pulling out these last second victories. On to GW!
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NJRhodyFan wrote:I'm probably reading into this too much, but did anybody take notice of EC after Biruta's game-winner? He slowly walked over to the herd of Rhody players celebrating and was showing no emotion whatsoever. Almost like he could care less about the victory, but was more upset that he didn't make his own shot. I watched the video again to make sure I wasn't imagining things. Very strange reaction to such an emotional win.

Either way, I'll take the W! This team seems to have a knack for pulling out these last second victories. On to GW!
I didnt notice it but maybe cause of the foot injury? Probably not the best time run and get into a pile.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ATPTourFan wrote:And Fordham camera man forgot he was the fucking camera man.
But he did like watching the little kid with the IPHone and his family……
I did see a shot of two URI Ruckus Co-eds…..
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Terrell is our 2nd best player right now but we really need EC to get healthy and to pick it up. His turnovers have been ridiculous. He's got a lot better in him. I thought Gil played solid, 9 boards 10 pts and 2 for 2 from the line.

I noticed that also about EC. I know he believes he was fouled, but yes he should have been ecstatic WE escaped with a win.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

loved e c reaction after win.. Rest of team celebrating. He's staring down the ref.. he definitely got fouled, but E C your team just won!!! Never thought of him as anything but a good kid and a team player, but lots of me, me this year from him.. wish pre season hype never happened...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Mike Aaman also at game.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

I am officially sick of Kevin McNarmara. First he takes a shot at Coach K by saying "of course he wins, he always has the best players" as if recruiting isn't a part of coaching and now he is criticizing URI for winning. If this were PC he'd be over the moon. Go to hell you biased troll.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NJRhodyFan wrote:I'm probably reading into this too much, but did anybody take notice of EC after Biruta's game-winner? He slowly walked over to the herd of Rhody players celebrating and was showing no emotion whatsoever. Almost like he could care less about the victory, but was more upset that he didn't make his own shot. I watched the video again to make sure I wasn't imagining things. Very strange reaction to such an emotional win.

Has to be frustrating for him, both from a performance standpoint and the pain he is obviously in.

We survived bad games from a few of our better players. Just be happy with the win and know if we play that poorly against anyone else we will likely lose, but we probably can't play worse.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hugeeeee win because that would have been a hugeeeee loss. Let's gooo rhody!
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ya know what? Yea it was ugly and terrible to watch and yea we might not make the NCAA tourney, but after the past 3 years, I'm just happy we're winning games, no matter how it looks. Finally a team that's exciting, albeit frustrating, to watch. I'll take the W! Go Rhody!
0 x
Go Rhody
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

We really didn't deserve to win. This may be the worst shooting team I've ever seen.
Knowing that we can't make 2 ft's in a row, why don't they assume that and attack the boards on the second one?
If the refs called fouls on them at the end, we'd have lost.

I'm sure Rod and others saw a better performance at the Dump tonight.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

We wouldn't be winning these close games in the past few years. Big difference maker. If we were an average FT team this would've been much easier.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I am as frustrated as everybody with how they played tonight, but I think some perspective is important. These are games we would not have won the past few years.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

GILVIDAS BIRUUUUUTA! Real happy for him. He has stepped up the last couple of games. Maybe, just maybe, we will look back at this one and say it was a turning point. It's time to step it up on Saturday. Go Rhody!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Optimistic wrote:I am officially sick of Kevin McNarmara. First he takes a shot at Coach K by saying "of course he wins, he always has the best players" as if recruiting isn't a part of coaching and now he is criticizing URI for winning. If this were PC he'd be over the moon. Go to hell you biased troll.
C'mon. Opto!!!!!!!!
Check-in with our resident expert about journalism/journalists, Rueb. He'll inform you that that's not a nice attitude!!!!!!!!
By-the-way, "Real Journalists" don't tweet or spout off their opinions.
It's supposed to be one of the sacrifices one makes to join such an honorable profession. Yes, even in a blurred media world such as today.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:I am as frustrated as everybody with how they played tonight, but I think some perspective is important. These are games we would not have won the past few years.
Very true. At the end of the day, a wins a win, same in the conference standings.

EC said his foot feels pretty good. Should be better next time. I expect a much needed big game from him Saturday. Go Rhody!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bigtime game ahead for Rhody...

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

GW game only 3 days away and tons of tickets left. Lots of work to do.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote:Terrell is our 2nd best player right now but we really need EC to get healthy and to pick it up. His turnovers have been ridiculous. He's got a lot better in him. I thought Gil played solid, 9 boards 10 pts and 2 for 2 from the line.

I noticed that also about EC. I know he believes he was fouled, but yes he should have been ecstatic WE escaped with a win.
Also a solid game from Watson with 5 boards, 7 points and 2 blocks.
Have to give JR credit too for playing very little but hitting a huge 3 pointer from the top of the key.

Imagine if you told me before the game:
1 EC gets 8 points
2 Martin gets 6 points
3 TJ gets 1 point
4 Garrett goes 3-11 FG and 0-3 FTs
5 Ryan Rhoomes gets 16 REBOUNDS and.......drum roll please...........
6 URI wins the game I would say no possible way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solid defensive game by all of our players but I thought Garrett played especially good defense keeping great pressure on whoever brought the ball up
Also Biggie Minnis had two blocked shots and one in particular was a thing of beauty at a very clutch point in the game
Ugly win but a win is a win
Makes for a much more exciting upcoming game with George Washington at home
Would have been a very, very long ride back home to Kngston if we had lost
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Something tells me the guys will be practicing their 15 ft. shots a lot the next 2 days.

Fordham must have a spell over us at the FT line.

Counting the last minute of the 1st game with them, we were 13-37 from the line.

Congrats to Gil. That's a huge confidence booster for him.

Hassan a rare poor game. Foul trouble hurt him big time tonight.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:
giovanni wrote:Terrell is our 2nd best player right now but we really need EC to get healthy and to pick it up. His turnovers have been ridiculous. He's got a lot better in him. I thought Gil played solid, 9 boards 10 pts and 2 for 2 from the line.

Also a solid game from Watson with 5 boards, 7 points and 2 blocks.
Have to give JR credit too for playing very little but hitting a huge 3 pointer from the top of the key.

Imagine if you told me before the game:
1 EC gets 8 points
2 Martin gets 6 points
3 TJ gets 1 point
4 Garrett goes 3-11 FG and 0-3 FTs
5 Ryan Rhoomes gets 16 REBOUNDS and.......drum roll please...........
6 URI wins the game I would say no possible way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solid defensive game by all of our players but I thought Garrett played especially good defense keeping great pressure on whoever brought the ball up
Also Biggie Minnis had two blocked shots and one in particular was a thing of beauty at a very clutch point in the game
Ugly win but a win is a win
Makes for a much more exciting upcoming game with George Washington at home
Would have been a very, very long ride back home to Kngston if we had lost

Yes true and right about Earl and JR's 3 came at a big time and made a nice steal after that too I believe. And Gil had 12 pts not 10 like I posted earlier. Can't leave out the last 2!
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:Something tells me the guys will be practicing their 15 ft. shots a lot the next 2 days.

Fordham must have a spell over us at the FT line.

Counting the last minute of the 1st game with them, we were 13-37 from the line.

Congrats to Gil. That's a huge confidence booster for him.

Hassan a rare poor game. Foul trouble hurt him big time tonight.

But Bone, I don't doubt they practice them as Dan says they have, but if possible it seems like they are getting worse. So much of it has to be in their heads right now. Definitely going to have a better performance at the charity stripe Saturday
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Tom98 wrote:The worse game I have ever seen us play in the last fifteen years. Absolutely disgusting performance....I will take the w but I am pissed....inexcusable performance.....they should be embarrassed....they should take the bus back to Kingston and lock them in the gym and make them shoot a thousand free throws!! Embarrassing
Oh. Ok. Seems reasonable.
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

URI_05 wrote:Hopefully they turn things around in the second half. I'm pretty sure Hurley needed a bandaid from punching the desk...

On the bright side, I have pretty good seats. http://i.imgur.com/JTlzDnG.jpg

haha i was sitting behind u to the right... behind bill murray... when he showed up with 8 min left i knew we had this game lol
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They are ugly from the line, that's for sure.

TJ and Hassan haven't been that bad lately. Really surprised at TJ.

Jarvis is hard to figure. His FT % I think is under 50% for the year. I know he's a frosh, but that is totally unacceptable for a PG. He's making Biggie look good from the line.

The rest of his game is coming along great. I'm sure he's not happy with himself about his FT shooting.

Ace, I think he's referring to the FT shooting only. We win by 8-10 if we shoot 70% from the line.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote:GIL IS BACK IN THE CIRCLE OF TRUST
You're my boy, Blue!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Tom98 wrote:The worse game I have ever seen us play in the last fifteen years. Absolutely disgusting performance....I will take the w but I am pissed....inexcusable performance.....they should be embarrassed....they should take the bus back to Kingston and lock them in the gym and make them shoot a thousand free throws!! Embarrassing
Maybe next time we won't give you the link? lol

You will feel better tomorrow, man. Trust.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

we might have given away the UMASS and VCU games but we straight up stole the Duquesne and Fordham games so I guess it evens out.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thank God we did. Now, let's steal one from a good team, and go from there.
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

great time at rose hill tonight... place had about 1200 people in it... ugly game but this team is winning the ugly games... might take off work n drive up to the ryan center sat... huge game... these students better show up!!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I just don't understand the FT issue.....how is it possible that these guys can't even be just average at the line. I saw Jarvis play a couple games last year in Prep school and my biggest takeaway was how good of a shooter he was...,,he stuck eight 3 pointers in 2 games and didn't miss one free throw 12-12 in the 2 games I saw him. A year later and he can't make a shot....how is that possible?? I am a big fan of Jarvis and want him playing all day but geez he is ice cold....if must just be his confidence in his shot
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Tom98 wrote:I just don't understand the FT issue.....how is it possible that these guys can't even be just average at the line. I saw Jarvis play a couple games last year in Prep school and my biggest takeaway was how good of a shooter he was...,,he stuck eight 3 pointers in 2 games and didn't miss one free throw 12-12 in the 2 games I saw him. A year later and he can't make a shot....how is that possible?? I am a big fan of Jarvis and want him playing all day but geez he is ice cold....if must just be his confidence in his shot
It's mostly mental at this point, really the only explanation I think.
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

i didnt even realize they were 11-27 tonight til my friend looked it up in the car going home... just awful.... and there wasnt even anyone to distract them tonight... they needa do something... whatever theyre doing in practice to work on free throws isnt working... bring in a psychiatrist or something
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

besides that instagram post... is there any other link to the game winner? i can see myself jumping up n down in the corner of the video... looking for a better quality video
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think maybe he [JG] just needs to learn to relax. He's hyped up and the game needs to slow down for him....

I expect a major improvement from him in the shooting dept. next year....

That's the only thing holding him back from being a major impact player for us right now...

Terrell seems to have turned the corner, where a short time ago he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn...

Jarvis's time is coming...you're right, he was a good shooter last year, and Rod saw him a few times and thought so too....
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't understand how anyone can be mad at anything tonight. We found a way to win.

Seriously when is the last time we've been winning period. When's the last time we have made it through January without a loss outside of the top 100?

Damn right we didn't deserve to win but we did. Conference games are always hard, especially on the road. We hadn't won in rose hill in 3 years. Who cares how bad it was, still a W. Let's just enjoy the ride.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just another Wednesday with Gilvydas...no big deal.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Jarvis has made great progress as the PG and I'm impressed with the zing he brings to the team especially his good court awareness. But to excel as a PG you have to have a complete game. Knowing when and how to draw to draw fouls is critical, but then you have to hit them. I didn't expect a Jarvis scoring machine, but right now he's a bad shooter especially at the charity strip.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

WOW! I came on this board thinking that we lost because the bozos at ESPN who were doing the Gamecast stats online posted that the "final" was Fordham winning 63-62. After proceeding to throw my phone into the couch and then logging on to the forum, I realize that people on here are talking about a last minute win. Words can not possibly explain my joy. I will never say anything bad about Gil EVER! Thank you big man! Woohoo! GO RHODY!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Also, over the years we have been on the wrong side of these close games. Nice to see the guys grind one out on the road. Plus, Terrell dropped 18 points in this game, which is an impressive two game run for him. I appears he's beginning to turn the corner offensively. Even tough EC played, I doubt he's 100%. It's nice to see that much needed 3rd consistent double digit scorer starting to emerge...especially one that can hit 3 point shots.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote:I don't understand how anyone can be mad at anything tonight. We found a way to win.

Seriously when is the last time we've been winning period. When's the last time we have made it through January without a loss outside of the top 100?

Damn right we didn't deserve to win but we did. Conference games are always hard, especially on the road. We hadn't won in rose hill in 3 years. Who cares how bad it was, still a W. Let's just enjoy the ride.
Truth. Pre-season, I had this team at 11-7 in the conference, with this game as a loss because it's Fordham and weird things happen when they play them.

However they've done it, they're 14-5, 6-2 in conference.

I couldn't watch the game- what was up with Martin? Hometown problems?
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Now that my KMac rage has expired...

Good teams find ways to win games they shouldn't. This is the second time we've done that, with the Duquesne game being the first.

Gil had a great game today, even before his miracle buzzer beater.

Hassan was a non-factor, but given his track record this year, all is forgiven.

Terrell stepped up big again. He is clutch and I don't even believe in such a thing.

EC must be hurting, but he gave it his all. Can never question his heart.

Earl is going to be a beast next year, count on it.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It does seem like things are finally starting to go our way, for the first time in eons.

Just wish EC was 100%. If he was, and Jarvis starts to hit some shots, this team might go places sooner rather than later.

But boy, is it a struggle. Nothing is going to come easy for sure.

Could you imagine this board if we had lost, with us leaving 8-10 points out there because of FT shooting, and losing by 1? To Fordham?

The mind boggles at the thought......
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Gil came here to help Dan rebuild this program. Yes, it can be frustrating to watch him at times because he seems so talented. But I applaud him. He's done his part. I am a big fan.
0 x