Game #18: St. Bonaventure - Sun. 1/25 2:00PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Game #18: St. Bonaventure - Sun. 1/25 2:00PM

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bonnies comes in tied with URI for 5th in the A10 at 4-2, 11-6 overall. They are 4-3 on the road overall, 2-1 in the A10. Bonnies are a little bit of an enigma to me. They've won at UMass convincingly, where - as we all know all too well - we dropped a heartbreaker last week. They won at Duquesne in OT, where we also pulled out a last second win. Duquesne is a bad team, but they've been surprisingly feisty at home. On the other hand, they were blitzed by a mediocre Richmond team on Richmond's home court. Bonnies other league wins were at home against rebuilding St. Joe's and George Mason teams.

Bonnies best win so far this season was probably the game they won handily at UMass. Otherwise, they are relatively untested. They did play Pittsburgh very tough at Pittsburgh, eventually falling 58-54. On the other hand, they lost at Delaware and against a bad Siena team. They did us the favor of defeating old friend Jim Baron's Canisius team in Olean.

Bonnies relies heavily on their veteran group of starters: Ndoye, Cumberbatch, Posley, Wright and Jaylen Adams (not to be confused with Jalen Adams, a reserve guard). Unless one of those five gets into foul trouble, they will all play 30+ minutes, and they all contribute double-digit scoring on a per game basis.

The primary scoring duties reside with 6-1 Jr. guard Marcus Posley (#3), who had 36 last time out against the Dukes. Posley is the teams best and most active three point shooter and best FT shooter. Youssou Ndoye (#35) is a 7-0 Sr. center from Senegal who is a force in the paint, averaging 11 boards and three blocks, and also contribes 12 points per contest. Dion Wright (#21), a 6-7 Jr. wing is a solid scorer and rebounder (12/6), but is not a three point threat (0.167 from range this year). Andell Cumberbatch (#23) is a 6-5 Sr. wing is another 10/5 guy for Bonnies, and is apparently not a relative of Sherlock Holmes actor Benedict Cumberbatch. The lone youngster in the starting five is Jaylen Adams, a 6-0 Fr. guard from Baltimore. Adams is an impressive rookie, averaging almost 11 ppg to go along with 4 assists and 2 rebounds and a steal. When (if) Bonaventure goes to their bench, the first guy you will see is 6-7 So. wing Denzel Gregg. Gregg has been serviceable as a reserve and was forced into big minutes in their road win at Duquesne when Wright came into foul trouble.

Look - St. Bonaventure is not going to roll over and die tomorrow. They are a solid A10 team and have shown an ability to go on the road and play tough. Ndoye will present serious problems for us on both ends of the floor, and their balanced attack means that it will be difficult to beat them just by keying on one guy and running our best defenders (JT and TJ) at him in waves to take him out of the game. However, if URI is or has any hope to be the team they think (and we hope) they can be this season, this is a game that they have to win. Win, and you put yourself on a track to make a run for the top group in the standings. Lose, and you've dropped 3-of-4 and continue to slide back towards the fat middle of the league. This team has played many games this season where it wouldn't have lost to Bonnies on their best day, and has played many games where they would have had no hope to beat Bonnies. The game tomorrow will all come down to which URI team shows up.

Get there early tomorrow and bring your throat lozenges. No excuses for the fans tomorrow, just like there is no excuse for the Rams. Go Rhody.

-ATP Note: Native will not have a preview for this game. Anyone can create a game thread in the event one of the moderators or Native, etc, have not created one when people want to move discussion in that direction.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #18: St. Bonaventure - Sun. 1/25 2:00PM

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The Bonnies can score. Ndoye is a tough matchup for us.

They don't play much defense, though.

Who's the guard who scored 36 against Duquesne? I'm guessing Terrell will get that assignment.

I do expect more scoring than the LaSalle game, from both teams.

They are all important games, but this one is big in that we want to separate ourselves from that mid pack of teams.

In fact, the next 3 [Bonnies, Fordham, GW] will tell us if this team is a serious contender for an NIT berth. If we win them, then 12-6, or maybe 13-5 is possible.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Tough game. 7 footer who is mobile, and some good shooters.
We'll have our hands full, like we will in most games going forward.
Marcus Posley is a junior guard who shot 8-11 from 3.
They have two guys named Jalen Adams and Jaylen Adams.
Steve will have a ball with them.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

If our guards take care of their guards, I don't see Ndoye as a factor in the outcome of the game, the same way I felt about PC and their bigs, if we could have contained Dunn. For the most part, we seem to have the best outcomes when we control guard play.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, you're right, we haven't played many teams so far this year, that have multiple scoring threats inside and out. Usually our D can focus on 1 or 2 guys and contain them.

We will have to play well offensively to win this game. The Bonnies give up a lot of open looks from 3. Gil will have to repeat his LaSalle effort.

We will have to make some 3's. Gil will have to play well 2 games in a row.

Could it happen??
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The Bonnie's have sure been an inconsistent team this year. I'm expecting they're gonna come to play though. Both 4-2. Gonna be a battle.
The one thing we have been consistent with is defense.
Bring our killer energy on defense and we'll be in a solid position to win.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Any stream? Not in our seats again....TV?.....I get the feeling we are still a kinda fragile team that when we win and we are ready to compete in the top tier, and a loss places us in the middle pack. We gotta run a streak of wins against the group ahead....seems like our place in the league goes game to game based on consistent defense and continuous suspect offense(edit).....such is life in the A-10.....no?
Last edited by section(105) 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it's on OSN
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

We are 2 wins away from bubble speculation.

Look at the standings and the fact the top 2 are in the top #25 and should be firmly in the polls come Monday.

The 3 and 4 teams are bubble teams by virtue of those qualifying rankings of the top 2 and the high win totals of the next 2.

Argue strong or weak bubble team, but definitely the top 4 A10 teams are in the conversation, with those top 2 locking it up more every game.

Obviously come conference tournament time unexpected winners could give us more or less bids.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Game preview updated.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Since conference play began, turnovers have increased and scoring has declined. La Salle had 23 more shots at the basket than the Rams and against a better shooting team that is bad news. For the Rams to move out of the middle of the A-10 pack, they must change these trends.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Obadiah wrote:Since conference play began, turnovers have increased and scoring has declined. La Salle had 23 more shots at the basket than the Rams and against a better shooting team that is bad news. For the Rams to move out of the middle of the A-10 pack, they must change these trends.
So it sounds like you continue to assume that opponents low scoring is just "bad shooting" and not related to Rhody's superior defense...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Since conference play began, turnovers have increased and scoring has declined. La Salle had 23 more shots at the basket than the Rams and against a better shooting team that is bad news. For the Rams to move out of the middle of the A-10 pack, they must change these trends.
So it sounds like you continue to assume that opponents low scoring is just "bad shooting" and not related to Rhody's superior defense...
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Obie is not complaining!! I defy anyone in this forum to find me 2 examples (I'll say 2 just in case I missed the first one ever) of Obadiah complaining or bitching, perhaps like any other fan that observed these trends
he finds them worrisome, but Obie has made an accurate observation and if you don't find it at least slightly concerning, you're probably purposely ignoring the trend for some fan-boy reason. The observation is spot on and Obie is not bitching about our the team, he is praising our defense while explaining our offense needs to clean up the turnovers so we can continue to achieve better results. Obadiah is stating that our defense is soooo intense that we can out last a team that gets 23 shots more than we do, unless they shoot lights out, so in his infinite wisdom, Obie thinks the thing to work on in this respect is turnovers. Does someone disagree? or find it beyond the decent scope of a fan to comment on that fact on a discussion board?

I am so very tired of nearly every comment that might not be 100% blindly supportive being lambasted for its negativity. We are intelligent fans and most of us know what the fuck we are talking about. Keep your all CAP personal attacks to yourself, got it? An attack like that is not acceptable from a forum moderator. You, tp, are not the only person here that behaves like this, but you are the only moderator that can not hold his "tongue" in these regards, Obie is hardly a prime target for such an assault, he's usually very reasonable and observant. At any rate, I'm not defending Obie's comment, I'm condemning yours.
TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Grrrrrrr. Only 1 A10 game that isn't on TV or free streaming this weekend for me. That's the URI I know and love. *blah* Been like this for the 20 years I have been out here in AZ. We are the most under represented team in the league when it comes to being able to watch them on (free) TV over the span of the 31 years I have been a fan. And this is in part why Coach Penders says what he does. Let's start getting respect in the A10 before we start worrying about our relevance anywhere else.

My apologies for the rant but as someone who has the ability to watch every European soccer game known to man but still somehow can't watch my alma mater play a basketball game is so beyond unacceptable it seems surreal. My Kansas friend laughs at me whenever we talk about our respective team's games. He tells me what he saw. I tell him what I heard. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Whew, I feel better now. Been holding that one in for, well, about 20 years...

*starts to sing 'Tomorrow' from Annie*
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RR, no that comment was obviously fine, I just can't get over the thing about not going to games because the team plays too much defense. You're right, though. Not a necessary response by me. I'm deleting it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yes runningram, that's the problem on here, too much positivity. If you're not 100% positive then you're being negative. Yup, that's exactly how this board has been lately, and I'm just glad someone finally had the courage to say something. :roll:
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, I've always been one to call things as I see them, and let the chips fall where they may,

I will not hesitate to be positive, if I see things that are.

Same for the other way around.

There will always be a few on every board that get upset when someone rips their team.

No two people agree on everything. Fact.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Disagreement and discussion about that disagreement are always welcome and strongly encouraged.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

There is a game today against the Brown Ind -- Bonnies. FACT.

(I've always wanted to drop one of those "FACT" bombs here! yay!)
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I found it interesting in putting together the preview that Bonnie's really only plays five guys. Will be interesting to see if we can get them into a faster game how that will impact what they want to do with their rotation.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would be careful about that. They scored 100 on Duquesne, granted, Duquesne's D is bad, but they can score and shoot the 3.

We have more guys in the rotation, but we have quality issues when it comes to our depth just like they do.

All I know is that if we turn it over at the rate we've been doing, we're going to be in trouble. We are wasting approx. 25% of our trips down the floor on average the last few games. That's why we're not getting many shots at the hoop.

If it wasn't for our defense.....
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Anyone need a free ticket? Family 4 pack was cheaper than 3 individuals.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Have to agree that turnovers, especially unforced unfocused turnovers have been killing their offense all season. Why do they feel the need to force the ball into traffic? And have you ever seen so many dribbles just lost without even pressure? Clean up the turnovers and improve the free throw shooting at least to 68- 70% range and this team could compete with anyone. Improve the outside shooting along with these improvements and they become a monster. I see signs that Garrett is starting to find his shot. We need Terrell to do the same. But I have to credit the team with some of the toughest defense I have ever seen. I will be very interested to see if they can shut down The Bonnies and Davidson.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agree with everything you said Luke.

This team has too many players that can't handle the ball. Need to start passing more, quick passes so the defense has to scramble to keep up.

Less dribbling, more passing. Rinse and repeat. Also, more movement without the ball. Sometimes we do it, other times they all stand there watching the ball handler. Why?

Leave the dribbling to Jarvis. The best handle on the team, and it's not close.

Do that, and see the turnovers cut in half.

Better shooting? Work in progress. Like you said, JG is improving. Terrell needs to stop forcing shots, and he'll get better.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

As has been the case since Game 1, we ebb and flow based on the play of our PG and our ability to limit TOs. We shoot at a high percentage, but if you dont get a shot up its a wasted trip. Wally Szerbiak in the pre game for VCU said taking a bad shot is better than a TO (and i generally agree) because at least you have the ability to get a rebound, and you also dont initiate a transition opportunity like you do with a TO. 12 TOs and under and we can play with anyone...regardless how we shoot, or our FTs or any other factor. Wasted trips are the kryptonite for us.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

EC has been responsible for about one third of our turnovers as of late.

His injury, his one on one play, and his suspect handle is resulting in way too many wasted trips.

He needs to see less time with the ball. He also is playing primarily on the right side of the floor, on his weaker right hand.

Why is that?
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Any links for this one? Not gonna be home so can't watch on OSN
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

most of the time a forum member that makes a comment which can be considered critical is not being either positive or negative, most of us I'm sure understand we are on an ascension to a very bright future, but we are informed fans with opinions, such as we turn the ball over too much and miss too many free throws, when we get those things cleaned up coupled with our stifling defense we will begin to dominate. That's what most of us want I believe.

TP, as for the not enjoying the games because they are defense oriented, I'm with you, I don't get it. I very much enjoy watching our defense shut other teams down, especially love seeing us (Martin and others) spike shots down opponents throats!! and the way Martin ALWAYS acts like 'that's just what I do' not gloating, barely smiling, all business. Love it!!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thinking of moving south for the month of February. The advance forecast for the month looks brutal, the worst in many years. Cold and snow. Fuck it.

P.S. I wish I could, really. In a couple of years, it might happen, as long as I can retire on schedule.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Running Ram wrote:Obie is not complaining!! I defy anyone in this forum to find me 2 examples (I'll say 2 just in case I missed the first one ever) of Obadiah complaining or bitching, perhaps like any other fan that observed these trends
Obie is not bitching about our the team, he is praising our defense while explaining our offense needs to clean up the turnovers so we can continue to achieve better results. Obadiah is stating that our defense is soooo intense that we can out last a team that gets 23 shots more than we do, unless they shoot lights out, so in his infinite wisdom, Obie thinks the thing to work on in this respect is turnovers. Does someone disagree? or find it beyond the decent scope of a fan to comment on that fact on a discussion board?

I am so very tired of nearly every comment that might not be 100% blindly supportive being lambasted for its negativity. We are intelligent fans and most of us know what the fuck we are talking about. Keep your all CAP personal attacks to yourself, got it? An attack like that is not acceptable from a forum moderator. You, tp, are not the only person here that behaves like this, but you are the only moderator that can not hold his "tongue" in these regards, Obie is hardly a prime target for such an assault, he's usually very reasonable and observant. At any rate, I'm not defending Obie's comment, I'm condemning yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d0Nft7 ... freload=10
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rambone 78 wrote:Thinking of moving south for the month of February. The advance forecast for the month looks brutal, the worst in many years. Cold and snow. Fuck it.

P.S. I wish I could, really. In a couple of years, it might happen, as long as I can retire on schedule.
Where do you see that? The forecast only goes out 10 days.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

One of the beauties of Cox providing a replay of the La Salle game is you can go over and over the plays, both good and bad. My comment on shot attempts by La Salle was based on the stat line, but also observation. On the stat side: La Salle put in the same number of baskets as URI, 21; so given they had 23 more attempts, you could say they went 0-23 on the increment. Not many times you are going to see that difference.

On the observation side: At the 6:50 mark, with La Salle getting the momentum, as the URI lead goes from 13 to 9 after two critical URI TO's (Reischel and Terrell), then Garrett misses a one and one FT, LaSalle gets the rebound and fast breaks toward the basket and the LaSalle player has an uncontested trey which goes in and out. If that ball had gone in, the lead would have been six. Maybe a different game at that point. Even the announcers showed worry that URI was near a late game collapse. Thank God we then got some great dunks by Hassan and a beautiful Garrett reverse lay-up going around that Zack kid to get back the momentum.

Our defense is great, and we need to insure we get more possessions than the opposition; an important factor given our outside shooting skills. Cutting down the TO's helps that cause.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Thinking of moving south for the month of February. The advance forecast for the month looks brutal, the worst in many years. Cold and snow. Fuck it.

Idk, but the two feet of snow we are supposed to get Monday-Wednesday is good enough a reason to check the real estate/job listings in South Carolina.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

TruePoint wrote:
scine20 wrote:

Idk, but the two feet of snow we are supposed to get Monday-Wednesday is good enough a reason to check the real estate/job listings in South Carolina.
I bit the bullet and hired a plow guy for it. I'm in Fla now and am supposed to come home tomorrow afternoon. Who the hell knows if I'll even make it home.

I have no interest in cleaning up 18-24 inches of snow.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Four family pack is cheaper than three 300 level tickets section 209

Include free drink and a snack $44

Just at ticket window now
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Gonna leave the extra ticket at will call envelope will say keaneyblue 57.....

Want a free drink and a snack ( and a free ticket ) hit up will call....

Edit

Like green envelope is at will call keaneyblue57
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

uhhh no EC during extended pregame that could be bad
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

No EC for today's game, he's on crutches with his left foot in a boot.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Confirmed
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That means he's most likely out for at least the Fordham game too, and possibly even GW.

Not good. Still can win this game, but Terrell is really going to have to contribute on the offensive end today.

Gil is going to have to have another big games as well.

I would think TJ is going to play major minutes here too.

Who's going to make a 3? Bonnies will let them shoot them all day, and dare us to make them.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Not good. Everyone else has to step up. Hope Biggie came to play. Rather see TJ starting.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I really hope he didn't aggravate the shit out of it in practice or something.
I don't want EC to wear boots! And crutches....
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Can't believe EC is hurt....wtf!!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The two frosh need to score more today.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I agree ith Don, would like to see TJ start.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

Its up to jarvis to have a good game. If he plays well, rams will have a great chance.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's a problem he's had for a few weeks, plantar fasciitis or something like that.

I'm sure he's aggravated it playing lately. It's definitely affected his game, what with all the turnovers and poor shooting.

He needs at least a week off, and possibly longer. The timing sucks, doesn't it always, with 3 games this week. Next week, we don't play.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Injury usually requires rest for healing. Bench warning already
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Time for Butler to make some hay.....