Game #17: La Salle University - Thursday 7:00pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Re: Game #17: La Salle University - Thursday 7:00pm

Unread post by RAM67 »

One last note. Nice round of applause for one of my all time favorite players, Pappy Owens.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

There is concern from Hurley that Terrell could be hitting a bit of a wall. That going into the Nebraska game Hurley put a lot in his hands defensively and that he might have lost a little explosiveness but it's hard to change anything with what he's giving defensively.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

For all those bemoaning this "ugly" win: We are an elite defensive team. Winning ugly is going to be par for the course until we get our offense in order (which, let's be honest, probably won't be until next year at the earliest). After tonight's win KenPom now has our Defensive Efficiency at 12th best in the country! This is the highest we've been ranked defensively since he started tracking college basketball stats (2002). It can be tough to watch at times, but I could not be more impressed with what Hurley has done on the defensive end since he arrived here in Kingston. I'm surprised that so little attention is being called to this. I know we love to harp on the negatives (and I will concede there are still plenty) but c'mon guys!

Re-reading the thread, Section104 is on the same wavelength as I am.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

From Will, the Rhody Overtime entry for tonight is up: http://www.independentri.com/rhody_over ... 301be.html
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Optimistic wrote:For all those bemoaning this "ugly" win: We are an elite defensive team. Winning ugly is going to be par for the course until we get our offense in order (which, let's be honest, probably won't be until next year at the earliest). After tonight's win KenPom now has our Defensive Efficiency at 12th best in the country! This is the highest we've been ranked defensively since he started tracking college basketball stats (2002). It can be tough to watch at times, but I could not be more impressed with what Hurley has done on the defensive end since he arrived here in Kingston. I'm surprised that so little attention is being called to this. I know we love to harp on the negatives (and I will concede there are still plenty) but c'mon guys!

Glad you mentioned this, because it's extremely important. I think obviously offense is easier to root for, its more exciting to most fans (other than Hassan's 50 blocks a game maybe). And sure, there is more work to be done on that side of the ball. But the defense has been simply amazing all season.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Where's the Bonnies thread!

#5 v #6 in the A10 at 4-2 each. Next two games could set up another showdown with GW.

Great win against Lasalle!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I think we are finally (after many years) developing a team identity. Dan has made us one of the best defensive teams in the country. This is something that can always be there, even when the offense struggles. Now, we work on the offense end.
Jarvis has incredible ball skills and is developing every game. I also think he is pushing a little too much now, possibly to prove he deserves to be a starter. This will take care of itself as he becomes more comfortable in his new role as a starter.
Martin is developing at an uncanny rate. I remember seeing him early last year against (I think Nebraska or A&M) and he looked completely lost. I even felt sorry for the kid. Fast forward to today and he's one of the most exciting defensive players in the land. I can't remember any player developing at this rate in a little over a year.
I only hope these freakin' pro scouts are missing this. Not likely.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah, the pro scouts are watching Hassan now, EC not so much.

Once Martin can develop a 12-15 ft. jumper, he'll be the real deal for the NBA.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

How many pro scouts have you talked to?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:I think we are finally (after many years) developing a team identity. Dan has made us one of the best defensive teams in the country. This is something that can always be there, even when the offense struggles. Now, we work on the offense end.
Jarvis has incredible ball skills and is developing every game. I also think he is pushing a little too much now, possibly to prove he deserves to be a starter. This will take care of itself as he becomes more comfortable in his new role as a starter.
Martin is developing at an uncanny rate. I remember seeing him early last year against (I think Nebraska or A&M) and he looked completely lost. I even felt sorry for the kid. Fast forward to today and he's one of the most exciting defensive players in the land. I can't remember any player developing at this rate in a little over a year.
I only hope these freakin' pro scouts are missing this. Not likely.
I agree that the team is carving out an identity, and it is as a nightmare for opposing offenses. I don't know if we can become a dramatically better shooting team as currently constructed, so that might be something we just have to overcome. But the thing we can control that can get us to the next level as a team is limiting turnovers. Just taking better care of the basketball would make a giant difference for this team, and it starts with EC.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote:Yeah, the pro scouts are watching Hassan now, EC not so much.

Once Martin can develop a 12-15 ft. jumper, he'll be the real deal for the NBA.
Been saying this since last year. You can see the NBA in Hassan. Not EC. There's nothing wrong with being a great college player but there are scores of guys like him. As for Hassan, developing an elbow or even longer jumper is something that can come as you get older. Plus, he'e pretty young for his grade.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Been saying this since I saw him play his last High School game against Thomas Jefferson. His ceiling is high, as are his ups. His perimeter game is something that can be developed...but you can't teach his athleticism, length and basketball IQ, which are all very good. Best URI forward since Kenny Green seems likely. Could even pass KG which would be rare air.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree that Hassan definitely could play in the NBA. I could see him having a James Posey-like role, probably with a little less perimeter shooting but a little better on the glass. But as far as who scouts are or aren't actually looking at right now, I don't think we know that at this point.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hassan right now, can't touch Kenny Green in talent, especially on offense,
where Kenny was the total package.
Kenny destroyed Derrick Coleman, played even with POY Danny Ferry, and
dominated the vaunted UNLV front line at UNLV. He was a big scorer,
in addition to rebounds and blocks. He was also 6'9"
Also, some guy named Lamar Odom came after Kenny,
and played forward, with a decade plus in the NBA.
I love Hassan, but I saw something yesterday, that I hadn't seen before.
The kid Wright just overpowered him quite a few times.
I think that's some of what would happen in the NBA, and why
Hassan, being a tweener, would have a problem.
He's stuck playing down low, so he can''t fully develop his game on offense.
Can we all leave the NBA stuff alone for a couple of years?
Last edited by rodfromcranston 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe not TP, but you'll have to agree maybe not as many scouts are watching EC fumble around lately?

Maybe he can take some air out of the balls, for better grip?

:mrgreen:
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Hassan right now, can't touch Kenny Green in talent, especially on offense,
where Kenny was the total package.
Kenny destroyed Derrick Coleman, played even with POY Danny Ferry, and
dominated the vaunted UNLV front line at UNLV. He was a big scorer,
in addition to rebounds and blocks. He was also 6'9"
Also, some guy named Lamar Odom came after Kenny,
and played forward, with a decade plus in the NBA.
I love Hassan, but I saw something yesterday, that I hadn't seen before.
The kid Wright just overpowered him quite a few times.
I think that's some of what would happen in the NBA, and why
Hassan, being a tweener, would have a problem.
He's stuck playing down low, so he can''t fully develop his game on offense.
Can we all leave the NBA stuff alone for a couple of years?
He's doesn't seem like the type of guy who would go early. Still...90% of guys the NBA drafts have a hole or two in there game but have the upside. Not sure how many polished guys got drafted last year. Maybe McDermott and Parker? Freaking Zach Lavine went #13.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yeah, Lavine. What were they thinking? He barely started at UCLA.

As for us, well, what you see is what you'll get for this year.
We need to tighten up and value the ball.
Every turnover is a lost possession.
Now that it's come to light, how many of EC's turnovers are
connected to his foot injury.
If your feet hurt, everything seems to hurt.
It would also alter his ability to cut and move quickly.
Apparently this is something that they want to sit him for 10 days
or so, but he doesn't want to, and frankly, the team can't afford to do.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Paper says EC is suffering from plantar fasciitis. Not a good injury for anyone, especially a basketball player. Very painful and discomforting and not the type of thing that goes away easily. Usually takes a lot of rest, something that he is not going to be able to get. Its probably not the reason he has struggled in certain facets of his game so much, but it certainly doesn't help.

As far as Hassan/Kenny Green comparison, Rod is right on. While I love Hassan and his game, Green was outstanding offensively as well as a monster defensively. If he were blessed with good knees, he would have also had a great NBA career. Abu said during game yesterday that Kenny was 2nd in the country in blocked shots his senior year. #1 was Alonzo Mourning and #3 was Dikembe Moutombo. Not bad company.

Lavine has actually had a solid rookie year.

Neither Hassan or EC are NBA ready at this point, and they have some business to finish here.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Well 3 games next week won't help EC...but after GW we have 8 days off
0 x
Clapton is God
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I've had it......VERY PAINFUL.
I've played tennis with it, and what I found is that most pain pills/anti-inflamatories take some focus and concentration away. That could be another reason for the ballhandling issues increasing [along with being double teamed regularly]. Hats off to E.C. for playing thru it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I had plantar fasciitis too. Yes, very painful, get out of bed can't walk painful. This was about 20 years ago. I got a cortisone shot and it never came back. Then again, I wasn't told of the danger of getting a shot in that area.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Explains a lot. How long has he has this issue?

He's been struggling the last couple of weeks, so I guess it's been a while.

At least he'll have a chance to rest it after GW.

They should change things up, and have EC off the ball more. Less ball handling the better.

Jarvis is getting ready to be the primary ball handler anyway. Could be good timing.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Rod. I agree with most of what you said about Hassan, but the trouble he had with Wright was very early in the game. After that I think he adjusted fairly well. It looked like he turned the tables and became the aggressor, including several blocks.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That explains alot to me for EC lately. Probably why we have seen him taking alot more 3's and jumpers and not exploding to the hoop as much as we are used to. In a weird way I'm glad it's injury related and not something else.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He has seemed much more tentative lately. Was beginning to wonder if there were other issues with him. Thankfully not.

Now, for Terrell's offense. He's giving us great D, but his offense has disappeared. Hopefully his frustration with that, won't affect his defensive intensity.

I'm thinking that it won't be until next year, when we will see more production from him.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote:Explains a lot. How long has he has this issue?

He's been struggling the last couple of weeks, so I guess it's been a while.

At least he'll have a chance to rest it after GW.

They should change things up, and have EC off the ball more. Less ball handling the better.

Jarvis is getting ready to be the primary ball handler anyway. Could be good timing.
Almost a month. The New Year's Eve game was mentioned in the article.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but Hassan broke a URI school record last night with 9 blocks in the game. That's pretty impressive. The dude is a monster on defense, so if his offensive game starts to round into form, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

P.S. -URI also set a new team record last night with 15 total blocks.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sucks for him, and for the team.

Probably cost us the VCU and UMass games, as close as they were.

Well, other guys are going to have to step up, and it looks like some [Gil, Jarvis] are, so that's good.

Hassan is always good, so I don't have to include him!

Add TJ too, he looks healthy now.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

My old boss had plantar fasciitis and it looked like it sucked. It was a nagging injury, too. Doesn't get better very quickly as far as I know... unless you go the cortisone route.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Second year in a row we have seen guys that play hurt and are less potent. Maybe we should learn now that it can be something.

For Terrell, I think its hard to rate him because he is offering less than TJ on offense and really playing like the best wing defender in the A10. It's just crazy that he more times than not reduces the other teams best player to like 25% of their avgs.

Nobody has mentioned how chippy Lasalle was. They pulled Hassan and TJ both down out of the air by their arms.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

That foul on TJ was crazy. Not only did he slap at nothing and then intentially drag him down, but he pushed Gil out of the way with both arms extended. It takes a lot for TJ to get upset and get in someones face, and he was rightfully upset.

Nice to see Hass come in quickly and pull TJ away
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea what was up with that guy!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:My old boss had plantar fasciitis and it looked like it sucked. It was a nagging injury, too. Doesn't get better very quickly as far as I know... unless you go the cortisone route.

This sounds like a gardening disease.
But, any foot problems are bad for anyone, especially athletes. It changes all your movements.

I always thought Kenny was 6'8," not that it matters. When he had the ball, he always seemed to want someone to dare to challenge him.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Section104 wrote:That foul on TJ was crazy. Not only did he slap at nothing and then intentially drag him down, but he pushed Gil out of the way with both arms extended. It takes a lot for TJ to get upset and get in someones face, and he was rightfully upset.

Nice to see Hass come in quickly and pull TJ away
Yeah usually TJ is the guy calming everybody down.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Optimistic wrote:For all those bemoaning this "ugly" win: We are an elite defensive team. Winning ugly is going to be par for the course until we get our offense in order (which, let's be honest, probably won't be until next year at the earliest). After tonight's win KenPom now has our Defensive Efficiency at 12th best in the country! This is the highest we've been ranked defensively since he started tracking college basketball stats (2002). It can be tough to watch at times, but I could not be more impressed with what Hurley has done on the defensive end since he arrived here in Kingston. I'm surprised that so little attention is being called to this. I know we love to harp on the negatives (and I will concede there are still plenty) but c'mon guys!

I agree.
To be competitive, first you have to be able to defend. Hurley can now work on making the team better offensively. Garrett and Terrell will shoot better. And he'll recruit shooters.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I've had plantar fasciitis, too, and it's the most painful thing I've ever experienced. However, what does that have to do with E.C.'s hands? He's had about 70 turnovers his last three games.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Despite some complaints, I think basically everyone, if not everyone here is very happy with where Dan has program. Bringing in greater talent than we have seen in a while. Also bringing in good kids who are well representative of the University. Team plays great d and plays as hard as any team around. The offense hasn't been great, but will get better as Jarvis and Jared continue to develop and EC gets healthier. If Gil keeps up what he did against LaSalle that will be a huge boost too. If you look around the country, at all levels, there is not a lot of great offensive basketball being played. I still believe its possible we can grab 2nd place, and who knows if Graham is out for any substantial amount of time. Excitement on the Iverson thing, the program is headed in the right direction and in excellent shape.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Haven't seen Jared smile like he did earlier in the year. I really hope he starts knocking down some shots.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Then again every shot he took last night was completely out of rhythm. Made some but then he jacked up too many against UMASS.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:I've had plantar fasciitis, too, and it's the most painful thing I've ever experienced. However, what does that have to do with E.C.'s hands? He's had about 70 turnovers his last three games.
I think its affecting how well he can move on offense with the ball, and thats leading to more turnovers. Maybe not, but it makes sense if its been bothering him lately.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I think I'd rather him sit the next two games and be healthy for the GW game. And then after the GW game he'll get about 9 days to heel until Richmond. Or at least play a little less. I've had that injury too and he'll just keep making it worse until he won't be able to run around hardly at all. We won't want that come march.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I actually would probably do it the opposite way. Have him play the next two to hopefully get the wins we need to. We always do bad against GW, , so I might have him skip that, then he's resting from January 28th to February 8th. That said it's probably wasting time to discuss it. If he feels he can go at all and the doctors let him he'll be out there.

Edit to correct an autocorrect. While we have trouble with GW, they're not exactly God.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: '13 CT F Kuron Iverson (Memphis Transfer)

BFC wrote:
eli#10 wrote:Where is Bill Koch in all this??
Complaining about attendance.

That means Dan is complaining about attendance. That would be a very bad thing if you want him to feel like this is a place where can he can do great things.

On this week's radio show Dan was none pleased about VCU game showing of less than 5000 actual humans in the Ryan Center. Announced was 6000 but Dan knows actual gate number and said it on the air.

I went back and looked it up on the radio show and at the 9:05 mark Dan hesitates to carefully say how he'd hope this team would draw more fans. Hurley said it was a "good crowd but we probably could have squeezed a couple more in there as well".

At the 10:30 mark Dan said it was 4700 for VCU and Steve jumped in and said "it was a little over six (thousand)". Dan said, "uh, actual", and Steve hesitated again and it was just a bit awkward when the super-secret actual attendance was revealed on the air.

http://www.920whjj.com/media/podcast-ur ... asketball/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

How could he be happy? 3000 for paid attendance? And how many of those tickets were actually used? Thank God for the students or it would have been a complete disaster. I don't subscribe to Penders bashing of the marketing department, but something does need to be done differently.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Watched the replay of this game. Yea, it was a win, but not pretty. The most telling stats were 18 Ram turnovers, 11 on La Salle steals and La Salle had 64 FG attempts versus URI's 41. Against a team that has a better shooting night than La Salle, that difference will be disastrous.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Obadiah wrote:Watched the replay of this game. Yea, it was a win, but not pretty. The most telling stats were 18 Ram turnovers, 11 on La Salle steals and La Salle had 64 FG attempts versus URI's 41. Against a team that has a better shooting night than La Salle, that difference will be disastrous.
Thats why our defense is so important. LaSalle didnt just have a bad shooting night, we forced them to have a bad shooting night. I get that winning with great offense may be more pretty, but let's not get confused and think we are only winning when other teams are unlucky and have off nights.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The crowd at Lasalle game was atrocious. Students came out, season ticket holders and other adult fan base not so much. I would be frustrated too if I were Dan. This team deserves more support.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This was LaSalle. Mediocre.

We lost our last 2 games.

We are a defensive team. Not a flashy high scoring team.

Our older fan base just doesn't get into it.

Nothing new here. Have we won anything yet? Who have we beaten?

It's going to take a serious run at an NCAA berth, to get people to come.

Right or wrong, that's the reality about this program.

Dan wants the fans to come? Start winning, and start beating good teams. That's what it will take to get 6000+ here per game. Even then, it's going to be hard to fill the seats against mediocre or worse teams, league games or not.

At least the students are starting to show up.
0 x