Game #16: @ Massachusetts - Saturday 2:30pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #16: @ Massachusetts - Saturday 2:30pm

Unread post by theblueram »

The killer was the subs. We reallly don't have any depth. Only bodies.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

If you thought going into this game that we had a chance at making the NCAAs w/o winning the A10 tournament, you are insane. We have 0 good wins (Nebraska would've been our key win but they stink) and are very clearly a year (or two) away from being good enough. Does it stink that we lost this game? Of course it does. Is it the end of the world? No. Winning on the road in the A10 is incredibly difficult and this team is still learning to play together and learning to finish games. I'd much rather be losing this type of game this year, than next year, when we should be flirting with being ranked all season, and fighting for an at-large bid. But feel free to bench Gil, and question every move Hurley made this game.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

15 TOs and their 18 offensive rebounds are biggest stats

Poor subbing and poor clock management. We should have won that game by 10-12 pts.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

And I would says EC, Jared and TJ are all excellent rebounders for guards, But they are guards and they are undersized in most, if not every game.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Play Gil and Hassan til they foul out.....now that is freakin crazy but..........?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

A year or two away? Do we have another 4* tandem coming in next year to provide depth on the bench? Dan is in year 3 now. In this year, I EXPECTED to go to the tournament. And no need to bench Gil, he's gone next year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Next season will be worse than this one, if we don't pick up a big man or 2 on the recruiting trail.

Doesn't matter how good Hassan, Jarvis, or Terrell get.

As for EC, the bloom is off the rose. Opponents now game plan for him, and know his weaknesses well.

Too many holes to even consider the NBA right now. His handle is average, worse under pressure.

Can't shoot the 3 either. His passing leaves a lot to be desired, he doesn't see open teammates often enough. Either you have good court vision or you don't. It's an instinctive thing.

Sorry it seems like I'm trashing him, but I expected a LOT more from him, especially late in close games. I thought he was the answer for us to win them. Instead, he's helping us to LOSE them.

The young excuse doesn't fly anymore either. He's not getting better, maybe even regressing. That's troubling for sure.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I don't listen to post game all the time, but I realize Dan never has done post game interview, but is it only after losses when one of the assistants don't come out for interview?
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

theblueram wrote:A year or two away? Do we have another 4* tandem coming in next year to provide depth on the bench? Dan is in year 3 now. In this year, I EXPECTED to go to the tournament. And no need to bench Gil, he's gone next year.
Well unfortunately for you, your expectations have no effect on reality.

And I disagree that we absolutely need a big man. We have two quality players coming in next year, adding to a young, talented core of players. Look at what Dayton is doing w/o a player over 6'6". If there are no quality big men out there right now, I don't want Hurley to sign some stiff.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

rodfromcranston wrote:I LOVE Hassan Martin!!!!
UMass did this last year with PC, with black uniforms.
I always figured it was because PC had more fans there than UMass. Rhody probably came close too.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Dayton doesn't turn the ball over and makes 3s. There is a formula but Rhody isn't close.

18 offensive boards was the story today.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan has reason to be angry. At his players AND himself.

UMass didn't win this game. We gave it to them. Again.

That pisses me off more than the loss itself.

Against VCU, we played well, but you could see they were a better team, although not by a lot.

This loss is much, much worse to take.

Unfortunately, I could see it coming. When you play like dog shit against the 2 worst teams in the league, and barely pull them out, it doesn't give one much confidence in another close game against a team that's closer in talent to us.

Wait until next week. LaSalle and Bonnies are not pushovers. We should win them being at home, but they won't be easy.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Optimistic wrote:
theblueram wrote:A year or two away? Do we have another 4* tandem coming in next year to provide depth on the bench? Dan is in year 3 now. In this year, I EXPECTED to go to the tournament. And no need to bench Gil, he's gone next year.

And I disagree that we absolutely need a big man. We have two quality players coming in next year, adding to a young, talented core of players. Look at what Dayton is doing w/o a player over 6'6". If there are no quality big men out there right now, I don't want Hurley to sign some stiff.
Well, unfortunately for you my expectations DO have an effect on reality.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rambone 78 wrote:Next season will be worse than this one, if we don't pick up a big man or 2 on the recruiting trail.

Doesn't matter how good Hassan, Jarvis, or Terrell get.

As for EC, the bloom is off the rose. Opponents now game plan for him, and know his weaknesses well.

Too many holes to even consider the NBA right now. His handle is average, worse under pressure.

Can't shoot the 3 either. His passing leaves a lot to be desired, he doesn't see open teammates often enough. Either you have good court vision or you don't. It's an instinctive thing.

Sorry it seems like I'm trashing him, but I expected a LOT more from him, especially late in close games. I thought he was the answer for us to win them. Instead, he's helping us to LOSE them.

The young excuse doesn't fly anymore either. He's not getting better, maybe even regressing. That's troubling for sure.

I am not that down on E.C. He did not create the hype. Unfortunately, I think our coach has tried to depend on him too much. In my opinion Matthews plays hard and I appreciate his effort but he is far from being a polished player. He makes about a third of his 3 pointers he is far from terrible.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Tough, tough game. Feel for those guys. I'm sure many of us (if not all) are "So sick and tired of losing to UMass!".

Earlier this year I thought there would be three big issues with this team...Free Throws, Three pointers and lack of a big man around 6'10"+ in size. Team seemed to struggle with Free Throws in the first half, but appeared to hit more in the second so I wouldn't necessarily point to that in this game as being why they lost. It appeared rebounding down the stretch was an issue and since we don't have a consistent threat from 3pt land, outside of EC, it seemed to make pulling away a tough task. Terrell seemed to be hot early, but seemed to lose his shot in the second half. It seemed tough for Rhody to match up against Lalanne who had 10 rebounds (1/3 the teams total).

It's a long season and I just hope the team continues to improve each game, so loses like this one become less common. I feel they could be really good by the A-10 tournament if they do improve more. It appears Garrett is slowly becoming more comfortable on the floor, but was 0-4. Even if a guy like him can bring an extra 4 points to each game, it could make a big difference in the success of this team (would bring his average or approx. 5 points per game to 9 points per game). I still feel this team really needs another solid double digit third contributor (meaning 10-12 points per game would suffice) to the offense, especially in games like this when EC and Has just aren't enough.

As bas as this loss may hurt, I still believe this team will be fairly impressive towards the end of the season.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Captainron@
Kenny Green

rodfromcranston wrote:WTF! Is it every game that's close that Matthews messes up
at the end?
Shit everyone got on X, but at least he made some big shots.
EC is a turnover machine.Can we cut this NBA crap?
This is a very tough one to take. We could not get a rebound when we needed it.
Dan better find someone else to take the last shot, because EC
is clearly NOT the man.
Butterfingers Biruta drops a rebound out of bounds, instead of scoring two.
Martin played his butt off, as usual, but nobody else comes to mind.
Maybe Jarvis with 6 assists and only 2 turnovers.
What a disgusting way to lose. Blow a 6 point lead, and look toallly
helpless down the stretch.
Yeah, we don't need big men, right?
Freshmen, even talented ones make mistakes. They all do.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

You don't need 4* players every year, and you won't get them. You have a great core of players that will be together for another two years. Next year you have legit starting big to pair with Hassan in Watson. You can say you expected to dance this year all you want, but that was always crazy. When your four best players are frosh and sophs, the future is ahead of you. Next year we will be MUCH better than this year, just based on the growth of your core, and hopefully more pieces are added to bolster it.

But the rage I feel about this game has nothing to do with the long term or even the ultimate goal for this season (this team was never, ever getting an at-large bid). It just has to do with the team that I root for with every fiber of my being pissing away a sure win on their rival's court. That is infuriating in its own right. I don't need more of a reason than that to be mad, and that is a good thing because I don't have one.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I"ll have what Optimistic is smoking. Anyone who thinks we don't need a bigman and
points to Dayton, with real shooters, makes me wonder.
Does 7 offensive rebound to 18 today tell anyone that we don't need more size????

I think when they're on the road, there's no interviews.
I didn't listen today, because, why would I want to hear more
about this shit-ass game?

Um, Ron, EC is a sophomore.

Wow! It's mid January and we're already resigned to looking at next year.
We've become pre-2004 Red Sox fans.
I told you before the season that I didn't expect Matthews to live up to all the hype.
Too bad. I wish I was wrong.
I wish we had an Xavier Munford on this team. At least towards the end of last year,
we had two scorers. This year, one, who disappears in the late part of close games.
Get the ball to Martin. He can make them or pick up fouls on the other teams bigs.
I'd rather see him at the line than Gil.
We made two 3s today and both in the first half. We only attempted 5!
Matthews only one.
What a mess!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Optimistic
Kenny Green

theblueram wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Well, unfortunately for you my expectations DO have an effect on reality.
Unless your name is Thorr Bjorn, I have no idea why you think your expectations matter to anyone.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I do not feel this team is anything like the "Baron years". Freshman took forever to develop under him. Guys usually weren't very productive or of much use till their Junior years at the earliest. We have Freshman and Sophomores who are hanging with the big boys. They may not win every game, but this team is A FAR CRY from the Baron teams of the past...in a good way. Plus, the A10 is just better as a conference despite how bad the record of a Duquense or UMass may look. Every game is going to be tough. Duquense could easily have a much different record right now. They hung tough with us and VCU. UMass may not be great, but their not terrible (even though the record may look like a different story). In my opinion, the season is going to be a grind for every team.
I do feel this team is progressing and improving and DEFINITELY at a quicker pace than Baron could ever have done.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey, if you don't think Blueram is entitled to feel whatever he
wants, you don't belong on a discussion board.
You can disagree with him or anyone else. Fine,
You don't have to be the AD to have your own thoughts.
All fans have expectations, realistic or not.
If you think we don't matter, I suggest you talk to Thorr,
or Daryl Jasper or Dan, because they care about fan's expectations.

Could we stop this "It's just like Baron" shit?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Somebody please answer this question for me. We are playing great to open the game. We score 13 points in the first 4 minutes. We lead 13-7. Four and a half minutes in, Biggie and TJ come in. WHY????? Am I that old school? If starters are playing well, they play 'til they're exhausted or are in foul trouble. Neither was the case four and a half minutes into the game. Hassan picked up his 2nd a short time after the two substitutions. The way the starters had it going, we might have a double digit lead a few minutes later. Somebody mentioned that Biggie needs to play or he'll become disengaged. Tough shit. That's more important than winning the game? Why not ride the wave when the starters are killing it? And, so that's my question.....WHY???????????
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I don't see the improvement in this team.
Everyone is very lackadaisical with the ball.
Martin is a beast. The book is out on how to stop EC.
They should start posting him up when they
Put a small player on him.
Not sure what Dan was thinking with some
Of those line ups.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billy, on top of that, Hassan picked up his 2nd seconds later and he came out. A minute later we had four subs on the floor. And one of then was Iffy, who played before Watson who was apparently healthy enough to log minutes later in the game. Just confusing.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

[/quote]
Well, unfortunately for you my expectations DO have an effect on reality.[/quote]Unless your name is Thorr Bjorn, I have no idea why you think your expectations matter to anyone.[/quote]
Heh, your pretty funny. Real funny guy. This one.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

We didn't go crazy setting picks today, either.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

rodfromcranston wrote:I"ll have what Optimistic is smoking. Anyone who thinks we don't need a bigman and
points to Dayton, with real shooters, makes me wonder.
Does 7 offensive rebound to 18 today tell anyone that we don't need more size????

I think when they're on the road, there's no interviews.
I didn't listen today, because, why would I want to hear more
about this shit-ass game?

Um, Ron, EC is a sophomore.

Wow! It's mid January and we're already resigned to looking at next year.
We've become pre-2004 Red Sox fans.
I told you before the season that I didn't expect Matthews to live up to all the hype.
Too bad. I wish I was wrong.
I wish we had an Xavier Munford on this team. At least towards the end of last year,
we had two scorers. This year, one, who disappears in the late part of close games.
Get the ball to Martin. He can make them or pick up fouls on the other teams bigs.
I'd rather see him at the line than Gil.
We made two 3s today and both in the first half. We only attempted 5!
Matthews only one.
What a mess!
Oops Rod, I knew that. I'm blaming it on the flu, which I don't wish on anyone btw. It sucks and I shouldnt be posting.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No biggie. Ron.
Hope you feel better, soon!
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

The past two games hurt more than any I've watched in a long time. But (beware of optimism here!!) the main reason they hurt so much had nothing to do with what year into the Hurley plan we are, or outside observations. For me, they hurt so badly because we finally watched a Rams team that looks strong and confident for 37 minutes a game. Not intimidated by anything or anyone. This team looks like it WON'T blow the game in the final minutes, even though it has the last two games. So while I'm mad and hurt and hoping the Patriots will make it feel better, maybe this is the stage right before we turn that corner we all need to see turned. We went from all of us expecting the swoons because we deep down knew we weren't so good, to feeling every bit as good as most teams we play. We should have beaten VCU and that hurt bad. Led the whole game. But this UMass game? We ARE better, and despite our record against them we should win no problem and almost did on their home court, with a rough game from EC, and a hot freshman on their side who picked the absolute worst time to hurt us. The past two games hurt extra bad because we DID just play better than VCU at home, and better than UMass on their court. We took it to these teams and almost won, wire to wire. When have we done THAT in recent years. We can't be far from winning these games and I have to either keep telling myself that or go watch Patriots highlights!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dude, I understand what you're saying, but at some point the results have to come.

We are all sick and tired of pissing away games we should win. It's been going on for FAR too long, no matter who the coach is.

Expectations are great too, as long as they are realized. They haven't yet. Even our coach, who everyone thought was the answer to all our prayers, is making mistakes out there in crucial situations.

Yah yah yah he's learning as is the team, but at some point it's got to change.

If success is coming, it's sure taking it's time.

Rod, it is disappointing to see EC fail in crunch time. This team needs a floor leader in the worst way, a guy who gets the ball to open shooters or can make clutch plays or shots when needed.

Is he really that guy, or will Jarvis eventually assume that role? Garrett is becoming our playmaker, but he can't shoot a lick.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

In the state of the game, either we recruit and/ or develop a serious knockdown three point threat AND scorer from three, we will muck thru too many games in the league.......this year and next.....no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Billy, Why? My gues is Dan is the system guy that dictates subs go in at certain time marks, rather than a game feel guy that goes with what is working ......no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I don't get the people that say we don't need a big guy. Not to take anything away from Dayton, they are playing very well, but enough with those that keep mentioning them when saying you don't need a big man. They have done more than us and are at the top of the league but aren't exactly the Gail Goodrich UCLA team and this isn't the 1960's either.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jarvis can shoot. He'll be fine.
I think maybe Terrell needs to take some shots that
he passes up. SOMEBODY has to score.
As for RI RAMS, I'm tired of moral victories,
we need to have the real thing.
There's no substitute for winning.

Gio, how in God's name could anyone watch this thing
today, watch us get outrebounded on the offense 18-,
and not think we need more size?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, correct to the max.

Not only a 3 pt. threat, but another big to help Hassan and Earl next season. Not in 2 years either.

Add to that a big improvement in Jarvis and Terrell shooting the ball.

If Dan is a "system" guy, that won't work here with the drop off in talent from the starters.

I don't think he is.

Remember, we had a coach who would pull players just as they got hot, and when they came back the momentum was lost.

Rod, I don't know how anybody could think that. Yeah, Dayton is playing well, and with the A10 this year, they will Dance, but their lack of size will get them beat against a bigger team with similar talent.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Almost every team left on our schedule has size.................Maybe coach will try getting some, and I am not talking 6-6 to 6-7 small forwards.

I suspect he likes the 6-3 to 6-7 players for their defensive agility and speed. But scoring may be the problem with a lack of perimeter threats going forward.

We need more offensive weapons, both 6-9/250 power forwards, and 6-4 2Gs who can reliably score from the perimeter.
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Rod, I'm with ya. But I'm not considering these 'moral' victories. We blew games we should have won for all the reasons stated here.

But this is more like a kid who couldn't reach the rim, now almost jamming it but the ball hitting the back rim. Should have gone in but didn't. They will start winning these because we are almost that close-out team we need to be.

Let me be blunt for those who think we are still baron-like: anyone here willing to bet everything they have against this team in the last several games?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thompson MIGHT be the answer to the latter part of that statement.

We have 2 power forwards right now, Watson and Martin.

But we have no backup for them, and one of them has to play the 5 because we don't have any 5's.

Butts will be either a 3 or a 4. A question mark for sure.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RI Rams, are you talking about the NEXT several games?

Until we start winning them, we're a bad bet. Sorry.

Are we really that close? We keep making the same mistakes over and over again. Does that sound familiar?

I wish to hell we would start, and soon. This is getting old, again.

We don't have the overall talent to be an NCAA team this year, that's for sure.

But we sure as shit have enough talent to beat the UMass's of the world. And yet we don't. STILL.
Last edited by rambone 78 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

CTRamfan wrote:Almost every team left on our schedule has size.................Maybe coach will try getting some, and I am not talking 6-6 to 6-7 small forwards.

I suspect he likes the 6-3 to 6-7 players for their defensive agility and speed. But scoring may be the problem with a lack of perimeter threats going forward.

We need more offensive weapons, both 6-9/250 power forwards, and 6-4 2Gs who can reliably score from the perimeter.
Almost every team in the country has more size than us, and not just BCS league schools. I have watched so many different levels leagues and most every good team in respective leagues have some type of at least serviceable big guy.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Who brought up jackass Baron? I didn't see it. Right now we have a team that can beat the dregs and can't win against the better teams. That is where we are. No good wins and no bad losses. Mediocre.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, my friend, I don't remotely
consider UMass one of the better teams.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Hah, yeah Umass sucks. So that puts us where?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's see. LaSalle has one. Bonnies have a big one. Even GM has one, a transfer that's been one of their best players so far this year.

GW has size across their entire front line.

More trouble ahead.

We are OK if our bigs can stay in the game. They can't, so we're screwed.

Then we go into midget mode, and get hammered in the rebounding dept.

I thought we were a good rebounding team. What happened to that, as if I didn't know?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Our problem is we are not a good offensive team. Our bigs? Besides Hass, we have bodies. I think if we kept our starting lineup in for most of the first half we would have blown the doors off umass. Didn't happen.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Where we belong right now, is where we are.

In the middle of the pack.

Yippee yo-ky-a.

We have imo more talent than most of them, but if we can't win the close ones, do we really?

So, bottom line, we're no longer a bottom feeder. We're a middle feeder.

Somehow, that's not what most of us expected for this season.

Rod, UMass is mediocre. Are we any better? Right now, no.
Last edited by rambone 78 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Second game where Hassan has run into game changing foul trouble.
It happens to all bigs, but that's why you need a backup of similar
type.
When Dan went to Reischel playing against Lalane, we didn't get a single
rebound.
Bottom line is, Dan loves his guards, but the game, in reality, dictates that he can't
play more than three at a time.
It's the A-10, not the Under 6'5" League.
Dan has to lose his love for all guards, and move to a more conventional lineup.
There is no way on earth that Reischel can cover a 5, unless he has a gun.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Maybe he should have a heart to heart with Penders.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, this isn't Wagner anymore.

Want to play with the big boys, you need some for yourself.

I'm going to extrapolate a little here.

Dan has been, for the most part, pretty good with adjustments from game to game, and in second halves especially.[although not tonight]

I think we're going to see the Big 5 play more and more going forward.

That, and Watson just HAS to play more, with bigger teams coming up on our schedule.

Fouls do screw up best laid plans though, but Dan has to stick with them more, and at the end of games, he must have his best in there.

But this is URI, and you have to learn the hard way.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This is URI and win or reap it. I will not sit here and wait 10 years more for what ifs. Sure Dan is pissed. Good. Well, go get better players. Cause this batch is not getting it done. Plain and simple. Glad Garret started. Thats a plus. But I cringe once subs happen, cause our bench is sub par.
0 x