So About Those Free Throws...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: HEY DAN - PRACTICE FTS PLS

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Keaney.Blue wrote:MY FT %'s throughout my 4 years:

Soph: 58.1%
Junior: 62.9%
Senior: 66.7%

The truth is it's hard to practice free throws. It's all about repetition, but I don't think sitting at the FT line and shooting hundreds of free throws in a row is useful. I'd rather see a guy shoot two FTs, run up and back and then shoot another two. You want to be out of breath when you shoot FTs to simulate in-game tiredness. I have no doubt our FT shooting will improve. If a big stiff like me can shoot over 60% anyone can
That's why my high school coach would have everybody on the team shoot two after practice, when we were tired. Make two, go shower. Miss, run, and do it again until you make two. It was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure we shot a higher percentage than URI is. We didn't like to run after practice, so we DID practice on our own.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Thanks Keaney Blue for your usual levity. If some of these guys were coaches our practice would consist of 2 hours of FT shooting. We wouldnt be able to dribble, shoot, pass or play defense but man we can win the Elks FT Shooting competition. Net net, good shooters make good FT shooters...we dont have a ton of the former so we dont have a ton of the latter. Agree with KBs philosophy for how FTs should be integrated into a Div 1 practice, while tired, after intense moments, simulating game time. I actually think if a few of our guys just stood 6 inches back from the line it would help....almost all of our misses are long IMO and my high school coach always preached stepping back 6 inches at least for the first 2/3rds of the game when you are more jacked up than tired.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

BAR, just speaking from personal experience, I believe in my younger years that becoming and focusing on being a better foul shooter made me a better shooter within the game. Not that I ever played past the high school level, but shooting was always something I took pride in. I made it to the regionals for the Elks FT contest when I was in 8th grade, but I made it a priority to work on it every single day. For whatever reason, it translated into becoming a better shooter within the game too. Honing in on that part of my game helped my focus and discipline no matter where I was on the floor. Obviously, the D1 lifestyle is much different and A LOT more is on your plate as a player. I just knew if I put time in before and after practice that it would become an automatic reflex. Didn't offer much else on the floor, which is why I never played at the next level, but just a few extra reps every single day can only help. KB is right though, it's on the player to take initiative if they truly care about getting better.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree BPR, especially with the last part that it largely needs to fall on the shoulders of the player to work on in his own development time.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

As an aside, Jim Harrick, who was a killer FT shooter,
used to challenge players to a FT shooting contest.
I've told this one a few times, but when he beat Preston one time,
he's asked Preston, "So now what do you want to do?"
He wanted to shoot from 3 with PMurph.
Preston shot back, "How about a dunking contest?"
Those were the days.....
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

All the ridiculousness in here and my comment gets removed?! I will not stand for this.

Nah, actually I don't care.

But just to be clear- free throws, in a variety of conditions, are part of practice.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

How was a post here removed?
Odd.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:All the ridiculousness in here and my comment gets removed?! I will not stand for this.

Nah, actually I don't care.

But just to be clear- free throws, in a variety of conditions, are part of practice.
Ace, if you're talking about the eyes closed and off hand post, it's in the week#5 games thread. BTW, I thought it was funny.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

You're right! I apologize for any bad thoughts I had about the esteemed moderation team.

That is also a joke- there were no bad thoughts. This is just basketball, people.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Says Ace, sticking pins in her voodoo doll of ATP.......
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm going to cool my comments about the FT shooting for a while after this post.

Until we stink it up again. Hmm...Delaware St. at 73% Imagine if we were there?

OK, how many wins is our putrid FT shooting going to cost us before this season is over?

Is it going to cost us an NIT berth? An NCAA berth? Any guesses?

Let's see, I had us going 18-11 in the prediction contest. That was before it's become evident that the A10 is down this year.

So, based on that, I think we have a chance to win 20-21 games. I'm not counting any conference tourney wins.

So, how many are we going to win?

I'm going to say 18. Unless our FT percentage approaches 70% the rest of this season, we are going to gag away 2-3 games. To good teams, bad teams, road, home, whatever. We miss them everywhere.

62% is what we shot last season in conference. If we keep that up, we're going to lament this season, imo anyway, as short of expectations. And deservedly so.

How much longer is this going to go on?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Perhaps free throws in dan's first couple years were on the backburner in practice because we sucked so bad?

I'm sure the Hurley family didn't miraculously become basketball royalty without some knowledge on how to make a free throw.

Our upperclassmen outside of TJ aren't the most mentally tough group. The youngsters need time. Controlling that moment at the line takes poise.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SPG, good point about that.

Again, 18 wins, and we go home, unless we run thru the A10 tourney.

20 wins, and we are an NIT team.

22 wins, and we are an NCAA bubble team. [Again, regular season]

To do that, we can't lose ANY games we are supposed to win, and get a couple extra to boot.

That's going to be a tough one.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Keaney.Blue wrote:MY FT %'s throughout my 4 years:

Soph: 58.1%
Junior: 62.9%
Senior: 66.7%

The truth is it's hard to practice free throws. It's all about repetition, but I don't think sitting at the FT line and shooting hundreds of free throws in a row is useful. I'd rather see a guy shoot two FTs, run up and back and then shoot another two. You want to be out of breath when you shoot FTs to simulate in-game tiredness. I have no doubt our FT shooting will improve. If a big stiff like me can shoot over 60% anyone can
So true. So very true. I remember when I played in basketball games (not for Rhody, but leagues and intramural games) and even now it's a different thing to try and hit those shots when you're either out of breath or have the adrenaline going. It throws off your shot. I agree that having them run then shoot free throws is a good idea.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

HAHA Ace got edited and we can't pay ATP to edit sean, good stuff!! :D

BAR, nobody seriously thinks they should dedicate whole practices to free throws, just that they should be re-prioritized, I don't care how or when, also repetition is everything when it comes to shooting.

I'll post this again, good free throw shooting is about mechanics and rhythm. Your body has to shoot free throws without your mind fucking it up, you develop your own rhythm and then you practice them until they happen from muscle memory and yes good free throw shooters are better jump shooters.

I understand why coaches have kids practice them when tired, but that is only productive if the player has his/her mechanics set, then the challenge becomes can the player go into that zone no matter the state of his/her exhaustion.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know I said I'd wait to post again about FT's, but do they have a book out called "Free Throw Shooting for Dummies?"

:mrgreen:
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

EXTRA!!! EXTRA!!!! WATCH EINSTEIN'S THEORY OF FREE THROW SHOOTING!!!!!!! HERE IT IS!!!!!! LISTEN AND WATCH CAREFULLY!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU88dxJ ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

we haven't lost any games because of FT shooting this year. against PC we would have had to shoot a way above average of 20-22 just to tie them at 68. None of our misses were front ends. Can we stop harping on it and stick to what is really costing us games....turnovers, subpar PG play and inconsistent Gil is what ails us. Fix those three and we can shoot 65% and still win a lot of games.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:we haven't lost any games because of FT shooting this year. against PC we would have had to shoot a way above average of 20-22 just to tie them at 68. None of our misses were front ends. Can we stop harping on it and stick to what is really costing us games....turnovers, subpar PG play and inconsistent Gil is what ails us. Fix those three and we can shoot 65% and still win a lot of games.
I posted the Red on Roundball segment because I'm sick of reading about the topic, the theories about the topic, etc., I'm not harping on it, and as I posted the other day, "ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!"

Thank you and goodnight…..

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
8-)

Ah, that felt good……………..
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

rambone 78 wrote:SPG, good point about that.

Again, 18 wins, and we go home, unless we run thru the A10 tourney.

20 wins, and we are an NIT team.

22 wins, and we are an NCAA bubble team. [Again, regular season]

To do that, we can't lose ANY games we are supposed to win, and get a couple extra to boot.

That's going to be a tough one.
22 wins and we are not a bubble team, sorry, but our only realistic chance at the NCAA's is to win the A10 tournament. Our chances for resume building wins are likely done at this point. With the way A10 is shaping up and the performance of A10 teams in the non conference, we'll likely not face another ranked team this season. 3 teams from the A10 may be a stretch this year. I dont see any team dominating the A10 this year and ending up with a gaudy record.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Pointing just to the PC game regarding our free throw problem is
pretty short sighted.
We've lost games in the previous two years (like last year's PC game)
for that very reason.
Why minimize it? It's the elephant in the room, and can't be ignored.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Oh yeah BAR no doubt they didn't cost us this years game against PC, I said as much in the game thread, but as rod points out they have cost us and we all know it. I do though completely agree with your assessment of what ailed Rhody Wednesday night, especially the inconsistent Gil bit, I wanted to punch myself in the eye after those back to back turnovers. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can say, I for one am not talking about free throws at the expense of these other glaring issues, more like in addition to those highlighted issues. If anyone else is sick of talking free throws I'd suggest steering clear of this particular thread.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rodfromcranston wrote:Says Ace, sticking pins in her voodoo doll of ATP.......
I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising firm in China is selling something as crazy as a ATP voodoo doll on eBay.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Watch us shoot 15-18 FT's against Delaware St. today, and win by 20. In other words, won't matter.

Then watch us shoot 10-20 against Detroit, and lose by 2.

That's what this team does.

When it counts, they don't make them. Especially against better teams.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Says Ace, sticking pins in her voodoo doll of ATP.......
I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising firm in China is selling something as crazy as a ATP voodoo doll on eBay.
China??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDFRAf ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Buying books was the most dreaded part of my college experience.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Another HORRIFIC performance at the line versus Delaware State:

18-33 .545

The pressure of a close game was certainly not a factor with a 39 point blowout. Didn't need them yesterday but still a troubling pattern persists. URI is now shooting free throws for the year at:

123-202 .609

There have been just two games (out of 9) where Rhody has shot over 65% from the line thus far. It does not appear that it is getting better as the season progresses. This team is just a bad ft shooting team and I fear it will not change. There will unfortunately likely be several losses this season directly attributed to this.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RF1, sad to say but this is going to cost this team any shot at meaningful postseason [NIT/NCAA].

I'm glad you brought that point up about only 2 of 9 better than 65%. We haven't even had ONE good game from the FT line.

Saturday, our top 5 players shot 47% from the line.

The rest? 67% from the line, with Watson 4-4. I'd take 67% all day.

I'm sorry, the excuse that Terrell and Jarvis are freshmen doesn't hold water. A load of bull.

That's on them. Only a couple of our players seem to be improving at the line. The rest are regressing.

At 61%, how close are we to the worst in the country? Can't be far away.

The scary thing is, last year we got worse at the line during the conference schedule. We haven't even got there yet this year. This could get REALLY bad.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We're 315 of 351 in free throws.
Everyone connected to the program, claims they do practice free
throws.
It's a real problem that seems not to have a solution.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Do they make them in practice?

There's a disconnect somewhere if that's the case.

Like you've said: If they indeed practice them, then they need to practice them MORE.

If that's what is needed, then they need to do it. Whatever it takes.

It's really obvious that if they don't get better, we won't beat the good teams in conference or anywhere else for that matter.

Dan won't want to admit this, but I'm sure he knows it.

Our 2 freshmen and sophs are here for a while. Other than EC, the other 3 are among the worst culprits. It has to change, or future NCAA tourney invites are a pipe dream.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

FTs are form and focus. Many of our guys have good form (ie Hassan) yet cant find consistency on the line. That means its the mental aspect IMO. Can we stop saying they need to practice, like a Div 1 team doesnt put adequate time into FT shooting. Everyone close to the program incl the players and coaches say they do, so if you want to harp find another insight then more practice. Shaq shot like 1,000,000 free throws a week and was never above 55-60% at the line. It's something mental for a lot of these guys.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, I hear they are pretty good at practice.

It's in the game situations that throw them off. It IS the mental aspect for sure.

What's important is our young players, the future of the program, become good FT shooters.

EC is OK for the most part. Terrell and Garrett, being guards also, need to shoot them at 70% or better.

Jarvis, I think, will come around and become that at least. Terrell I'm not as sure of.

Hassan, if he can be at 60-65%, would be OK too.

The difference between a team at 60% FT's, and 70%, isn't all that much, maybe 3 points per game. But in close games, it's huge, and we seem to be on the wrong side of those way more than the other way around.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I posted this last year. Unfortunately, it's worth repeating. An article I read a few years ago about a high school coach (somewhere)who had a team that couldn't hit them either. For a week he had them shoot them from the line without a ball. The point was to mentally visualize the ball going in. It seemed to help. Hence, the article.

Or, maybe we could try something completely different. We could have them shoot blindfolded using their off hand. Maybe on a unicycle.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ha ha. I think Ace beat you to it, without the unicycle.

Find a smaller basket, and make them try and make them. That would force them to focus even more.

Then the regular basket would seem big by comparison. Hey, whatever works.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I agree Bone, we need EC, Terrell and Jarvis to shoot them at 70%, Hassan at 65%. If we could just get that it would change the totals drastically.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think they will get there. EC is basically there.

When is the question. It needs to happen soon for this year to be as good as it can be.

Otherwise, this thread will have a LONG shelf life.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Maybe try underhand??? Who was that player who shot free throws underhand? Ha, I just laughed at the thought.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rick Barry and wilt the stilt
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Here's a positive about our free throw shooting.
If we're at the line with time running out and needing 3 points, we'll have to miss the second free throw intentionally. What team is better at that than us?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's happened before, and we've made it. Go figure.

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Maybe that's the answer. We're trying to make them.lol
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

For comedic pause, and to get a sense how far we've come in 2 years, take a peruse of the George Mason board. We've come a LONG way. We have basically boiled the bitch down to free throws. That's pretty refreshing.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, it's kind of fun to read some of these other programs message boards.

And people on our board complain that some of us are negative!

We're small time compared to a lot of them. Dayton's board has a lot of very knowlegable posters. They are hilarious sometimes.

Fordham's board is a raging dumpster fire.

Of course, nothing would be complete without going on the Canisius board.

Now THAT's good comedy!
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I wonder how easy it is for bad free throw shooters to improve by college age. I doubt AAU drills a ton at the line. They are easy points and can mean winning or losing close ones.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote:Maybe try underhand??? Who was that player who shot free throws underhand? Ha, I just laughed at the thought.

GLAD YOU WERE PAYING ATTENTION, BLUERAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU88dxJ ... freload=10
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Taylor Swift wrote:Buying books was the most dreaded part of my college experience.

It killed me, too! Imagine, paying $200 for a couple of comic books…………..
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rick Barry was one of the greatest players ever.
He was a great shooter, who did shoot his free throws underhand.

As for the Canisius board, they had all of three posts yesterday on the
UMass game and the posts were only about the first half.
Canisius fans are getting a dose of what we had to survive for over
a decade.
The only time that board was interesting is when people came on there
with great insights on CFL.
Most have been banned I guess, because I don't see those great names
that were used.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Hey Rambone, our high school used to practice with a rim inside the regular rims which made you have to be more accurate to make any shots including fts. It made everybody a better shooter. The team only lost one game in two seasons.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I've heard of that.

Maybe I'll mention it to Dan when I next see him. He'll love it.

It would work, though.

Damn it, try it!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Some guy named FRANK KEANEY used the small rim
inside the regulation rim, over 80 years ago.
0 x