So About Those Free Throws...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: HEY DAN - PRACTICE FTS PLS

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

You see Hassan with his arm straight up wanting the ball.
Nobody between him and whoever has the ball.
What happenns? The ball gets passed to another perimeter player.
If Don Kaull can see it, if we can see it, why can't the 30
people on our coaching staff?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This subject needs to be brought up at the coach's show. The next one I can get to, believe me, it will get brought up.

This should be a point of emphasis in practice.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Not sure what the deal is with Minnis, he's been at this college ball thing long enough to either be up to speed or to be considered mediocre at entry passing to the post, with respect to Garret I believe it will continue to get better as he continues to 'catch up' to D1 college speed basketball, it is frustrating from this fan's standpoint, we have three good post players who all work hard to get good seals down low, but very rarely receive entry passes. The wonderful thing about this regime as compared to the last is that I trust this coaching staff to be honest with themselves and progressive about working towards the betterment of these less than perfect aspects of Rhody's game.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

different palyers, same results :oops:
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote:enough is enough

We lose all these games because of FTS

TIRED OF THIS

so tired of this BS game after game after game after game
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ECR, a few years ago PC had a very bad year shooting FT's. Low 60's or so [like us every year] Cost them several games.

So Cooley had his players in an offseason FT shooting program.....the next year, with the same players plus 1 transfer, they ended up top 10 in the country....high 70's I think.

They worked at it outside of practice...and it paid off. You think it might have worked with us?

Effort, desire to improve, you name it...they did it. What do we do? Whatever the person they brought in to help earlier this season did, it seemed to help then....what's happened since?

Maybe it doesn't matter....most of our players have good shooting form, yet they gag.....it's got to be mental for the most part....EC exhibit A Friday night.

Baron's teams weren't particularly good from the line [except for his sons], and neither are Hurley's......got to be a URI "thing".
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I would love to know Dowtin's FT% from last year in HS to this year. There's no way it can be as bad.
0 x
Go Rhody
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhody15 wrote:I would love to know Dowtin's FT% from last year in HS to this year. There's no way it can be as bad.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/allmetsp ... 3127e32d68

Looks like he shot 80-102 from the line.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's the URI effect. Come here, and you forget how to make FT's.....

Dowtin''s not the only one that's happened to.

I'm worried about Fatts as we speak.

The psychological effect must be traumatizing......
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Put a ring inside the hoop and make the players have to make 10 in a row before they leave practice......that might convince them of the importance to concentrate when shooting......
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've said it before. When you play with high intensity the entire time, it's hard to calm yourself down when you're at the foul line. Let's put this into a real life situation. Something has happened to put you into a rage. You leave the room to calm yourself down. Does it happen immediately or does it take a little while?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rambone 78 wrote:Put a ring inside the hoop and make the players have to make 10 in a row before they leave practice......that might convince them of the importance to concentrate when shooting......
They could also miss a lot of classes. Lol
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78 wrote:I've said it before. When you play with high intensity the entire time, it's hard to calm yourself down when you're at the foul line. Let's put this into a real life situation. Something has happened to put you into a rage. You leave the room to calm yourself down. Does it happen immediately or does it take a little while?
If that's the case, does that mean Duke, Villanova, Virginia, ND shoot fts bad too? Don't know of too many teams that play harder than them. Larry Bird played as hard as anyone and he shot Fts pretty well. Or does this theory not apply to the very good teams and players?
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy...what applies to us applies to the opponent.....I'm sure both teams were playing at a very high intensity Friday night.....but Dayton didn't miss as much at the line or from the 3 pt. line at the end......

To me that's an excuse. Everybody's tired physically at that point. The team that's mentally stronger wins...and it's not us.

And one more thing....we're at home...we have the crowd behind us, which should help...plus they are making more noise when the opponent is shooting....we should have an edge, no?

ramfan85..that's funny....but they need to practice them more than just at practice...like Jimmy B. did.......find a hoop and shoot late in night...when they're tired......do whatever it takes to get better.

I find it hard to believe that these guys practice FT's much outside of practice.....as bad as they are. If they do, then it's hopeless.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Do all those teams see their coach going bananas for 40 minutes? It's not just the high intensity of play. Everything is tense. There has been talk of playing loose. I haven't seen it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Somebody else try to explain it then. And.....I don't believe in curses.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Do all those teams see their coach going bananas for 40 minutes? It's not just the high intensity of play. Everything is tense. There has been talk of playing loose. I haven't seen it.
A lot of us here have suggested that if we were ever to win a close game by making a play, then confidence would improve and it would start to happen more often.

You know, the snowball effect. Dan is so wound up that his players are affected imo. And it probably affects HIM too at the worst possible times.

I really think he doesn't have the temperament to be a big time coach. I mean they all go bananas at times, but Dan has made it into an art form...and he's toned it down somewhat too!

He say he's going to retire by the time he's 50....that might be a stretch the way things are going.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I know for a fact every session ends with foul shots. Not rocket science every basketball coach does that.

I thought Dan was pretty cool Friday night. Seemed to have a decent relationship with the officials.

We played a great game but I cannot explain the 40th minute. Our staff and many of the players choked. Flyers don't choke.

Ballgame.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

57, I know that but what good is it doing?

They have to find something that will improve the FT shooting......we miss throughout the game, but each miss gets magnified at the end of the game.....

One's thing's for sure, if you're not a good FT shooter to begin with, you are going to miss more when the pressure's on...and that's what happens with our players.

As for choking, that starts at practice...something's not right.....and hasn't been right for 5 years. This team has a loser's mentality.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......maybe practice them unannounced and not the same time during the practice......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Dan should just start requiring the whole team to shoot them underhanded. Our percentages would prob go up by 30% easily.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... nded-shots
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Annnnnnd we've come full circle back to the shoot them underhanded idea. I was wondering how long that would take.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Shooting FT's underhanded isn't as easy as it looks.

This is a non starter.
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Chamberlain went from shooting 40% from the line to going 28 for 30 in a night and setting a record.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Our players for the most part have good form. Wilt's form before he changed to underhanded was awful. Having huge hands helps when shooting underhanded...not so much regular style.

It's gotten in their head about missing FT's.......look at Dowtin.....44% here..... 80% in HS.......
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Do all those teams see their coach going bananas for 40 minutes? It's not just the high intensity of play. Everything is tense. There has been talk of playing loose. I haven't seen it.
Dan seems looser this year than last and was looser last year than the year before. I don't think his wound-up-edness is anywhere near the issue it mighta used to have been. Watch Frank Martin...I still think that guy is gonna go Woody Hayes one of these days...50/50 that it's his player or opponent...

They're playing well now...FT's are a 'thing'...I think like Rambone said...make some in clutch situations and maybe get some momentum effect....hard to replicate the adrenaline of clutch FT sitches...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need a closer, 208....someone who can not only make clutch FT's but make shots under pressure.......and make plays....Dowtin looks like he could be that guy but he's got to work on getting his FT percentage back up.....you can't have your PG be a bricklayer from the line.

When Jarvis comes back [not likely 100% until next season] he has to do the same.....his overall percentage isn't bad, but he has had instances when he missed from the line too many times late in games.

Right now, Terrell is our most reliable FT shooter, followed by Hassan of all people......EC was pretty good, but has regressed, sadly.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Need to take your time and concentrate . We shouldn't be this bad at the stripe
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

An ex D-1 hoops assistant and I were bemoaning Dayton game and he said-"URI players are not that good". I said "what'?
He said the missed free throws are the example of them being not that good. Interesting take,always thought free throws were just a matter of putting the practice time in?
What were the free throw %s of Rhodys NCAA teams?
Particularly the one and done teams .That would be good comparison of talent. Someone must know?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

HK, they aren't that good because mentally they aren't that good. Undisciplined.

Lack of focus, concentration are big issues.....that's a huge part of the game.

It's why we stink at the end of games making plays, not just missing FT's......Poor execution will get you beat.

They are simply not prepared for the big moments...explains why they come up short EVERY TIME.

Some of that is on the players, but a lot of it is on the staff. We are a veteran team, we should be the ones who are composed at the end of games.....instead our opponents make the plays, and we never do.

In college, the coach is the difference between winning and losing the close ones......and we drew the short straw again.

The coach's recruiting also is a big factor. Good BB IQ is something that is usually established fairly early on in high school. Either a player has it or he doesn't. It's up to the staff to identify high IQ players and get them here.....guys with good BB instincts are hard to find.

Dan has recruited for the most part, low BB IQ players....JB did the same.....athletes are everywhere but that's not enough.

Imo Dowtin has the highest BB IQ on this team...and Fatts looks like he has it too.....but that's about it.

And one more thing about the staff...player development....are our players improving over their time here? Some look like they have, and others haven't...and some might even be worse.

Way too many question marks........
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dowtin has a high BB IQ, yet he clanks his FT's. 44% is pathetic.

He was 80% in HS....it will come around I think.......I hope......
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What happened to Justin Sua?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Is he the guy who was supposed to help with FT's?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: So About Those Free Throws...

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I couldn't stand seeing the ALL CAPS thread title back on the front page so I changed it. Carry on.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Is he the guy who was supposed to help with FT's?
Positive thinking, mental toughness, stuff like that. The fact that he works for the Cleveland Browns always had me a little worried. .....
Justin Su'a is a Mental Performance and Leadership Coach in the Boston Red Sox and Cleveland Browns Organizations. He also travels the country speaking and training various organizations on how to cultivate mental toughness and create a culture of excellence. Justin's clients perform in the NFL, Olympics, So You Think You Can Dance, PGA, the U.S. Army and the MLB. He is the author of two books: "Parent Pep Talks: The 10 Must Have Mental Skills Your Child Must Have to Succeed in Sports, School, and Life"​ and, "Mentally Tough Teens: Developing the Winning Mindset". Justin is also the host of the daily,
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

He may owe us a refund if it doesn't turn around, or do we need more sessions with him?
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:I couldn't stand seeing the ALL CAPS thread title back on the front page so I changed it. Carry on.
I respect the change of subject title..

In context, I believe I had that all in caps after a tough lose from the FT line and was extremely frustrated.

Flash forward to years later and the problem has not been fixed and frustration remains.

Same argument over and over again.. if we ever fixed our FT %, we would be in the NCAA

what a SHAME
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Totally understand, ECR. Who would have thought this thread would have such staying power?

Dan makes people worse shooters!!! Dowtin is down 40% from his mark in high school. Stupid DAN!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Ok, while I am very upset at Dan and not correcting our FT shooting, I am not in favor of him leaving - I just wanted to make that clear

In Dan We Trust

I still believe in him, now he needs to uphold his part of the deal and deliver consistent NCAAA teams
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Team is playing better...a few missed ft's from a win the other night against the top of the league...ready to roll into the NCAAT.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rick Barry's kid just had his 42 in a row snapped tonight for the Florida Gators and he shoots them underhanded too
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Wow Dan.. Way to get the guys improving on FTs
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

put my original subject line back please

WHAT A JOKE
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

7-15 tonight from the line nice job guys
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Steve and Don said that they were middle of the pack in shooting FTs in OOC, but once conference started the wheels came off, and they are now last. I guess the conference coaches really know how to defend our FT shooting :roll: ...
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

hey dan, maybe try another tack here ?

i noticed early in the season you would often joke about the "FT question"

guess what... i am not laughing
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

If I were to rank the issues from last night, free throw shooting probably wouldn't be in the top 1,000.

They could have gone 15-for-15 from the line and they still would have lost.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Hit the free throws and win the close games

It's that simple

Good job RHODY !
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

The last 4 games (which are all wins) they are shooting 78% from the line including a 93% performance last night. Keep up the great work!!!
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

keep it up !
0 x