In Game P.A. Announcer

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

In Game P.A. Announcer

Unread post by The Dude »

What are people's opinions on the P.A. Announcer Dan Yorke?

Personally, I'm sure he's a nice guy/decent person, but I'm not a fan. I miss the guy they used to have a few years ago...the pre-Yorke era...I think it was Mike Mancusso?? He was really good...guy knew how to do his job and did it well. I know there are some on this board, who I've spoken to about this, that feel the same way. A few of us reached our breaking point with him yesterday, during the Nebraska game. I'm interested to see what everyone else seems to think. I've heard he has a radio show, so having him on can help cross promote Rhody Basketball, but despite that fact I think it would be nice to start the search for a new one. Maybe find a different radio personality?
Just feel like this guy is all over the place with the tone of his voice and seems too in love with his own voice. I feel like my ears are being verbally assaulted and molested on a game by game basis...haha. There's lot of unwanted penetration of the ear drums. haha. :roll:
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: In Game P.A. Announcer

Unread post by Rhody74 »

He sounded like he was taunting Nebraska during the introductions, which I thought was rather bush-league for an announcer.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The annoucer should always show respect for the opposing team. Leave the taunts to us. They should be introduced with unbiased affection. That did not happen and I noticed it as well.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I love it. LOVE IT. He brings an element. I love the taunting the opposing team. It's our building. I want everything for us and against them. We couldn't even get our timekeeper to be pro-URI...happy that we have him. Helped to get the crowd into it as well.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I thought the sneering, "Nebraska Cornhuskers" was fine...
I'm not a fan of the guys who SQUUEEEEEAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!
"THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" or any other nonsense
followed by their out-of-breath panting of the player's name through
the now-cracked speakers so you can't tell wtf he just said...
Glad he doesn't do that...
Also not a fan of the 25-minute video after the opponents have
been introduced before the good guys get their names called...
Oh well, can't have it all...
But Dan is ok in my book, and the band (and cheer squads and JV)
are all a step up over recent years...
Speaking of the Ramettes...was that leather? Very nice...
0 x
runninrams5
Steve Chubin

Unread post by runninrams5 »

I agree, I am not a fan of the new PA guy. In the second half he was still announcing a foul while Jared was starting to shoot a free throw. That can't happen.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

He's not good at all. Mancuso was awesome. I have no idea why he left but it's really disappointing. The current guy is flat out annoying.

Anyone have any idea why Mancuso left or why they made the change?
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

When he says 'at the line for two shots' in that creepy bedroom voice, I actually feel a little uncomfortable.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

runninrams5 wrote:I agree, I am not a fan of the new PA guy. In the second half he was still announcing a foul while Jared was starting to shoot a free throw. That can't happen.
Yep, could cost us a game down the road....

Need to fix that now, if Yorke stays he needs to be scripted.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I have been against Yorke from the 1st game he announced. Hasn't improved. He needs to go. We can do much better. I have no idea why he's been kept on. Sometimes he thinks he's the play-by-play guy. I could go on but I just wish they'd make a change.
0 x
uri78
Jim Eitner

Unread post by uri78 »

His belittling intonation of "Nebraska Cornhuskers" was totally bush league and didn't reflect well on us. It marred the goodwill created when our fans chanted in support of the Nebraska Assistant Coach's son. He should be canned.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I have never been a fan of Dan Yorke's PA style. Mike Mancuso spoiled us with a decade of first class PA work.

Mike has moved onto other sports announcing on TV.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Mike did the play by play with Disano on the first two Cox streams as well. Seems like they do it when its an online only stream and no TV. At least so far, maybe they will do some TV down the road to.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Def agree with all here, he's too much and should go. EZ Buckets should get the gig.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

Dan Yorke whole gig on the radio and during the game defines unprofessionalism. However I have been critical of ez buckets in the past I thought he did a great job last night.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

If I had to choose between what we have now, Dan Yorke as is; and a simple, clear and clean announcement of name, rank and serial number, I would go with the later. I am not, at the college hoops level, a big fan of the PA announcer attempts in trying to earn any style points of thinking they are supposed to be part of the entertainment.....I think that when you bring in a person that gets paid to talk, that's what you get......too much talk......Less is more...
Last edited by section(105) 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

On one hand, I am not a fan of Yorke's approach to doing the PA. On the other, he clearly is totally bought into the URI basketball program and wants to be an advocate for it. And he has a good platform to do that if he can do it in the right way.

If he is taking the PA job seriously (and I have no reason to doubt that he is), he should be open to feedback and to adjusting his style based on that feedback. If he would just take a more straightforward approach, it would be better. He doesn't need to play it right down the middle, but there is a way PA announcers generally comport themselves that he could emulate.

One thing I would tell him is that PA announcers are like refs and left tackles: the less you notice them the better job they are doing. Just that this is an issue people want to talk about and there are people upset about it is evidence that his style needs to be adjusted.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yorke is the only guy with a radio and TV program of his own,
given to promoting the URI basketball program.
I think that's a small trade-off for a couple of annoying announcements.
Also, why is anyone calling him the "new" announcer, when he's going
on three years?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

New compared to Mancuso who served us so well for almost a decade.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Kingston wrote:Dan Yorke whole gig on the radio and during the game defines unprofessionalism. However I have been critical of ez buckets in the past I thought he did a great job last night.
I agree that EZ Buckets did a great job. A couple of voice lessons for the singing wouldn't hurt though :D .
0 x
RhodeRule
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodeRule »

Given what we used to have, York is a step down. Speaking while a player is shooting is just taboo - amongst other issues.
I remember a URI-PC game back around '79 or '80 at the Civic Center. They brought in the PA announcer from Madison Square Garden. It was a pretty cool moment.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

I brought up the "talking during OUR players free throws" issue last year in one of the threads. There is NO excuse for that, especially when we're shooting 60%. Yorke needs some situational awareness training.

There are a lot of people that read this board and one of you probably know Mr. Yorke. Please filter out the aggression, but take the input and have a chat with him!
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

He's awful.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Annoying is more like it.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:Just that this is an issue people want to talk about and there are people upset about it is evidence that his style needs to be adjusted.
It's also probably evidence that the games so far seem to be going pretty well... frees up some time to complain something else.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

My guess is he probably reads this board views on all things Rhody hoops....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

EZbuckets does a good job for what he's asked to do but I could do without having anyone perform that role. I liked it more when it was just Mancuso and nothing else during timeouts.

As far as Mancuso, I really hope he left on his own accord and wasn't asked to leave. I once told Mancuso that I thought he could be an NBA PA guy. That's how good I thought he was.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Kingston wrote:Dan Yorke whole gig on the radio and during the game defines unprofessionalism. However I have been critical of ez buckets in the past I thought he did a great job last night.
I agree that EZ Buckets did a great job. A couple of voice lessons for the singing wouldn't hurt though :D .
I don't know what you're talking about...my mother says I have the voice of an angel. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the props though guys. But as I've said many times before on the board...my job is much much easier when I've got a packed house & a crowd that can match my energy.

For what it's worth - I do PA for Rhody soccer/baseball/softball as well as about half of the home Women's BB games and love it...but much prefer to be on the court making a fool of myself.
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

I was in the bathroom while Nebraska starting lineups were announced so I missed it. How did he belittle them?
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

scine20 wrote:EZbuckets does a good job for what he's asked to do but I could do without having anyone perform that role. I liked it more when it was just Mancuso and nothing else during timeouts.

As far as Mancuso, I really hope he left on his own accord and wasn't asked to leave. I once told Mancuso that I thought he could be an NBA PA guy. That's how good I thought he was.
Scine, whether or not having promotions on court during timeouts is your cup of tea, in 2014 you'd be hard-pressed to go to any college/pro arena and not see someone in that role. It's now part of the fabric of the game experience.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NJ03 wrote:I was in the bathroom while Nebraska starting lineups were announced so I missed it. How did he belittle them?
His tone of voice was sneering .... I don't think Yorke should be fired for it, but he needs to dial it back some. I hope somebody talked to him about it.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Mancuso's best calls were: "A three from Hellllllengaaaaaaaaa"
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

EZBuckets wrote:
scine20 wrote:EZbuckets does a good job for what he's asked to do but I could do without having anyone perform that role. I liked it more when it was just Mancuso and nothing else during timeouts.

Scine, whether or not having promotions on court during timeouts is your cup of tea, in 2014 you'd be hard-pressed to go to any college/pro arena and not see someone in that role. It's now part of the fabric of the game experience.
I know that. And it's not you, believe me. It's just something that I could do without. I say this every time I go to a game, whether it's at URI or anywhere else.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

URIGONZO wrote:Mancuso's best calls were: "A three from Hellllllengaaaaaaaaa"
Haha yes. Or Adigano (sp).
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Mancuso was not asked to leave. His new TV jobs were starting to conflict with Rams PA and the next season they agreed he could not continue as the regular PA guy for men's games.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

scine20 wrote:
URIGONZO wrote:Mancuso's best calls were: "A three from Hellllllengaaaaaaaaa"
Haha yes. Or Adigano (sp).
Yes!
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I was not a fan as well. Gave me an icky feeling hearing him do the introductions. The rest of his calls were passable. Just didn't like the introductions at all.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

Never been a fan of his. I feel he tries to be the whole show instead of just letting the game play and saying what needs to be said in a somewhat normal voice. He even tries to slip in some play by play telling us when a block or steal happens that results in a basket by us on the other end as if we weren't watching. That annoys me more than anything.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I thought the PA Announcer was fine, in fact, I think the entire experience at the Ryan Center has improved since Hurley's been here. The atmosphere Saturday night is was a college basketball arena should be. From the building being sold out, the students out in full force, the improvements to the RC (adding a marquee, sound system, lighting, etc) was fantastic. I also like how there was something going on at almost every dead ball/media timeout situation... (sans the 2 awkward students in a dance off).. It was very entertaining on top of a great game. I've been to many other facilities in the Northeast and I can tell you none were like what we had Saturday night.... Take in a game at Gampel Pavilion at U Conn, the environment is very sterile and only has "pockets" of excitement away from the game. I'll be back to the Ryan Center for as many games as possible this year.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Dan York is a URI fan or at least he's "bought in" and he did so in lean times. he's been doing the job for two plus years, we're going to start complaining about him now?

He's great with DH when he has him on his shows, he could be like the rest of the humps out there in talk radio land and never mention URI except to exaggerate the cost of the budget on the tax payer. Lets cut him a break for now, while he continues his learning curve.

I could agree that some of his antics could be irritating to some people, but even if you are annoyed by his style is there a need to campaign against him?

Personally I don't care about the taunting tone of voice, kinda like it, I did find the hushed/hushing tones as the players come to the line as funny at first, but realized it was his way of bringing the level down for the free throws, the way you lower your own voice when you want others to speak more softly. I see his style as enthusiastic, willingness to be a homer, I like it, like he's subtly saying welcome visitors to the Ryan Center, for you a hostile environment.

I vote we table this discussion for now as it seems a little attacky to me, Yorke is fine, and in case this is happening with some people, don't let your opinions of his political views put you on the attack just because you saw someone else say something, that's called piling on and its worse than a biased PA guy.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RR has the right idea. Maybe you don't love his PA style, but the far bigger issue to most of us is that URI is infuriatingly ignored by too many people in the state. Then you have this guy with the platform to be an ambassador for the program and some of our fans want to run him off. He isn't a career PA guy; this is his first shot at this. I'd rather see them work with him and refine his approach than run him out on a rail.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RR, TP, Shinze - exactly.

EDIT: OH SNAP 1000 POSTS
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I would not be surprised if Dan says something about the mocking tone. If he backed off that, I'd be OK with him.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, that makes at least four of us, who agree that
Dan Yorke should be praised for his promotion of the program,
rather than being sniped at for a couple of annoying announcements.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rodfromcranston wrote:Well, that makes at least four of us, who agree that
Dan Yorke should be praised for his promotion of the program,
rather than being sniped at for a couple of annoying announcements.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I didn't have a problem with the pregame intros, it wasn't mocking in my opinion
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I would disagree that Dan's use of his platform to promote URI basketball is a positive thing. As someone who works in the public/political space, I can assure you that Dan lacks the respect of any potential decision maker that could impact URI and state support (government support). Further, his radio show has a large base of people who would rather cut spending to higher education (in turn hurting the athletics program). I openly admit that I strongly have a distaste for Dan Yorke in his professional life and ridicule of all things Rhode Island. His professional life, which is a public life, will and does reflect on his representation for URI athletics. At some point, I will be writing a letter to the Athletics Department reflecting my viewpoint as both a season ticket holder and an alumni. I have no issue with giving a new PA announcer time to come into his/her own but I do have an issue with a person with such poor character being a representative of URI athletics.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Seriously?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

1) Brought this up NOW simply because after however many years (two or three?) some people in addition to myself are fed up with what in our opinions is an annoying, irritating, and subpar PA Announcing job. Once again, just an opinion. It's ok to disagree. I still love you guys. ;)

2) Not even discussing the cross promotion of the program or shows the guy does. Plus, I doubt he's the only guy in the state who can cross promote Rhody basketball on more than one platform. I'm grateful for the Rhody Basketball promotion on his shows, if he does that (don't really follow him, so wouldn't know), but this discussion isn't on his performance on his shows. The topic is about the PA Announcing and the PA Announcing job performance ONLY.

3) Simply asked what other people were thinking and IT'S OK for people to have differing opinions on the matter. We're not all going to agree, but it's a discussion that (judging by all this differing feedback) warrants being had.

The fact that we never had to discuss Mancuso (in addition to the positive opinions shared above) just goes to show how good he was at his job and what any other PA Announcer should strive to emulate. I think it's safe to say that we all love Rhody Basketball and would enjoy seeing continued all around improvement in each aspect of the basketball program.......even the PA Announcing.

GO RHODY! BEAT KANSAS! 8-)

EDITED: Typically my edits are spelling errors or added wording within the first minute of posting after proof reading one more time.
Last edited by The Dude 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Please. I don't care about Dan Yorke influencing self important
"decision makers".
I'm happy about him talking up URI Rams basketball.
There's no downside to that.
We're looking for fans. Everyone knows the Legislature is no friend to URI.
Your personal distaste for Yorke is your business.
Your reasoning for him not being our PA man is a reach.
0 x