Dan Hurley Coach's Show 2016-17

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show

Unread post by RoadyJay »

josephski wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Ignoring the fact that our 2 walk-ons are seen as 2 of our top 5 "best" players by this metric, Iverson being that high in the positive calls a lot into question.

I firmly believe that this team goes with Iverson. Proof being that when he plays well in big games, we win (Cinci). But if he plays poorly (Duke, Valpo, PC, Houston) we lose. Unfortunately he's been more bad than good this year. Not saying he's not capable of being much better (he is), and not saying he can't turn it around (he could), but just saying that as of right now the BPR doesn't accurately reflect his on-court performance.

Considering I've audibly called out his +/- in 3 games after I really had to stifle vomit watching him play, (he was -13,-11, and -12), you can't tell me this stat is accurate or valuable.
What site do you use to see the +/- or are you just doing it on your own?

I agree too about the team goes with Iverson. It's tough because if you give Akele more minutes then we might gain some consistency but Akele does not have the same ceiling in terms of skill that Iverson has.

Yes, I too would like to know where you are getting your +/- from.

As far as Iverson goes, I think what you are seeing is very inconsistent play... The overall body of work is good, thus the stats are good, but unfortunately outside of the Cincinnati game he has not played well against any other Top 100 team.
iverson_stats.jpg
The theory that we go as Iverson goes has pretty well held true in every game except Old Dominion. That game was his worst statistical performance yet we won on a heroic defensive effort. His other worst performances came against Duke, Valpo, Providence, and Houston. One of his best performances was against Cincinnati. I think we won that game. His other top performances have also resulted in Rhody wins.

There you have it folks. We need Iverson to show up. Show up against the top teams consistently, not just against the mediocre/bad ones. He also needs to stay on the floor and avoid foul trouble.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

To simplify things...

In our wins he has averaged 10.7ppg and 7rpg. In our losses he has averaged 4.8ppg and 4.8rpg
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

But, Iverson has not shown up for big games and he is a senior and taking time away from Akele. At some point you need to punt.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That's not entirely accurate. We don't beat Cincy without Iverson. I think the way to look at it is that EC and Iverson (and Jarvis) need to play better more consistently for this team to reach its potential. I don't think punting is the answer, because (like actual punting) it will limit your upside. I'd rather try to get those guys untracked and go for the big goals we have for this season rather than trying to minimize the downside.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^ Agree. If this team is to excel, Iverson has to be a key contributor.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Tonight at the Break Hotel in Narragansett.
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Tonight at the Break Hotel in Narragansett.
I'm guessing he'll update on Hassan and Christion. Let's hope they're back for Dayton!
1 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......tonite 6pm.....anyone going?......looking forward to it as we open the conference schedule. Hopefully an injury update.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I'll see you there, 105.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I missed the show so what's the scoop?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Haven't listened yet, will do it while I'm doing the dishes before I head up to bed. But here it is:

http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27575308/
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Thanks for posting... in the early part..Hurls: Hassan "questionable for Friday", then kinda hedged, announcer said 'probable for Tuesday' and Hurls kinda/sorta agreed. Basically, said he was more day to day than week to week...
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Sounded to me like Excuses 101.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote:Sounded to me like Excuses 101.
Care to elaborate?
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

The schedule...
The injuries...
Can't shoot...
Elite defense...
Opponents all play zone...
Listen to it.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I don't have a problem with the excuses. He is trying to explain why they didn't have as much success in the non-conference as they would have liked. He has also taken personal responsibility for not playing as well as they could have and not having guys like EC, JG, JT, and KI in sync. He has not been shy either about calling out certain players to be better.

What else do you want him to say?
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't know that excuses is the right word. To me it's an excuse when you use something as a reason to not take accountability. Dan has held himself accountable.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote:The schedule...
The injuries...
Can't shoot...
Elite defense...
Opponents all play zone...
Listen to it.
I did listen to it, that is why I asked you to elaborate. I didn't hear anything that I would consider an "excuse." During the hour they were on the air, I did hear the coach (in response to questioning) talk about the difficulty of parts of our OOC schedule, the injury status of certain players and how that has changed the roles of other players, our difficult shooting night against William & Mary, and how we try to play against zone defenses. To me, that is exactly what the show is for - to get pretty open and honest discussion from the coach about the team and the season. Are they just supposed to talk about the quality of the wings at whatever establishment they are at for an hour?

An excuse is "the bus was late, the locker room was too cold, the floor was too slippery, the lights were too dull, the ref is a jerk, the food was bad, the uniforms were uncomfortable, the hotel was too far from the arena, etc." An excuse is not a thoughtful analysis of what has gone right, what has gone wrong and what needs to go better.

I'd be really curious to hear what specifically you identified as an excuse and why you consider it an excuse.
5 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Didn't hear any excuses either.
Some interesting comments:
Hurley says he's being told URI is a 10-11 seed right now. Don't agree with that.
Layssard is frustrated with not playing but he played against such crappy competition in high school he's not ready.
Robinson will play 20-plus minutes going forward.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Iggy, I can see how a 10-11 seed is possible. They have an RPI of 45 which historically has meant a 70% chance of making the tournament.

I was happy to hear more playing time for Robinson. He's earned it. I also want to see more "Man-Child" (Langevine) even when Hass returns.

Could Robinson, EC, JT, Hass, and Langevine be our most dangerous group we put on the floor?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think if the season ended today they'd be out.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:I think if the season ended today they'd be out.
Certainly possible. But since there is literally no way of ever knowing what is the point of speculating? They'd be on the bubble, but need to improve their position over the next 3 months.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......the line up changes suggested by RJ for me would be the necessary change to kick start the conference schedule, I think that combo mentioned is very much worth trying for more than just a few minutes......however, we have seen DH going with the same starters, some will find JG not starting to be out of the question.....Stan needs to start ahead of KI now.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Just look at Akele's rebounding #'s... His 1 3 point shot a game is not winning the games. Personally I would prefer more production than the theoretical spacing and shooting Akele gives you.

Valpo he knocked down the 3 with them not playing him and them not spacing the floor. Then he got another wide open 3 and clunked. No spacing bc they didn't play him and they just clogged the lane. No 3 point shot. Its overstated if its not executed by forcing the defense to change.

[EDIT] This post is in support of more Cyril. Specifically Cyril with Martin. Its my belief that Martin dominates when he doesn't have to be the most physical player on the floor for URI over the past 4 years. If there is another player that is more physical for URI on the floor, then Martin can go up against the other teams less physical player and destroy them. Otherwise he is having a tougher time.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Iggy1979 wrote:I think if the season ended today they'd be out.
Stewart Mandel says they're in, as of today!
http://www.foxsports.com/college-basket ... del-122716
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

God help us all of us if we make the play-in game, lose, then have this whole board arguing for years if we "really made the NCAA tournament."
5 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm pretty sure we could be a #1 seed and people would find a reason why it was bad.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote:I'm pretty sure we could be a #1 seed and people would find a reason why it was bad.
We could win a national championship and people would complain about it and say it didn't count.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:
adam914 wrote:I'm pretty sure we could be a #1 seed and people would find a reason why it was bad.
We could win a national championship and people would complain about it and say it didn't count.
That would be the Friar board...

TP...maybe they just sound like excuses to me, but they're really Dan's way of taking responsibility for the poor play and the losses: at Valpo, at PC, at Houston, and of our national rankings.
The mood was somber, despite Steve's jokes, "powered by Miller Lite," about Don's bad directions and about how he was going to rent a room. Any way you spin it, the team is underperforming, and to Dan's credit...he knows it. Can he fix it? We'll see, but I interpreted it more like, "Here are the reasons (excuses) that things aren't good," instead of, "We plan to do this, this and this to make sure that we don't screw up this terrific season any more, and our goal by the way isn't an 11 seed but rather an auto bid after we win the next 18 games and then cut some nets down in Pittsburgh." If I got it backwards, then I apologize to you, Dan and everyone on the board.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Certainly no need to apologize (at least to me), but I just think we should differentiate between the nonsense that used to come out of the mouth of the last coach to explain a loss and the willingness of this coach to share his perspective on what is going on with the program for better or worse. Identifying problems or acknowledging failures isn't the same thing as making excuses in my mind.
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Imagine what this thread would be like if we had lost to the horrible team at BC. Let's get healthy before going after Hurley for what the team is doing.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

eli#10 wrote:Imagine what this thread would be like if we had lost to the horrible team at BC. Let's get healthy before going after Hurley for what the team is doing.
I'm confused did we not have Hass against Valpo and PC? We have been healthy.... Won 1 big game and lost the other 2. I'm not counting Duke.... Better than 0-3 but not good enough IMO. Season is far from over we just need to get some big road wins. Go Rhody!
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TruePoint wrote:Certainly no need to apologize (at least to me), but I just think we should differentiate between the nonsense that used to come out of the mouth of the last coach to explain a loss and the willingness of this coach to share his perspective on what is going on with the program for better or worse. Identifying problems or acknowledging failures isn't the same thing as making excuses in my mind.
I agree with this, TP...but at some point soon Dan has to have answers on the court...it's all well and good to know what's wrong and explain it, but results are what matters in the end......I kind of think Dan knows he'll be in hot water here eventually if things don't turn around.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Here or anywhere, bone. A coach's job is to win. But believe it or not and even though it may not feel like it, this season he actually is on a trajectory to make the tournament, which will render a lot of this neuroses moot. Obviously a lot has to be accomplished between now and the end of the season to get the result we want, but I think the unrelenting criticism and the sense of impending doom is a bit much, or at least premature.

If we ultimately fall short of the goal, then the hand wringing can start in earnest.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's just hope that we at least have a shot come March, TP......

If we start losing league games right off the bat, then the hand wringing will start a little early, don't you think?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't know, probably. I mean, it's already going on and my guess is any loss will probably cause it to get dialed up even more - even though everyone knows we are going to win the next 21 games. But at the very least, I wish it would wait until we have officially played ourselves out of the field. That hasn't come close to happening, as aggravating as the three road losses have been.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, but you know human nature.....especially with the humans on this board...we are all humans right? Ha ha.....

Hell, we've ripped the team and coach, rightfully so I might add, even after some wins this season.......

I've love to see a magic turnaround.....but that hope is fading. Just too many flaws.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RoadyJay wrote:I don't have a problem with the excuses. He is trying to explain why they didn't have as much success in the non-conference as they would have liked. He has also taken personal responsibility for not playing as well as they could have and not having guys like EC, JG, JT, and KI in sync. He has not been shy either about calling out certain players to be better.

What else do you want him to say?
Is anyone else tired with Dan saying he takes personal responsibility for not playing well, not having the players in sync and not getting consistent performance out of KI? He sounds like Rex Ryan to me. There are two options with his comment - 1) he really doesn't believe it and just says it to deflect the attention from the players. Hopefully, privately he is on them for underperforming. 2) he believes it is his fault.

Either way, this is year 4 and all five starters having 2+ years in the starting line up. He has two Seniors and four Juniors in his top six players. When he took responsibility for a young team struggling that was understandable. This is not. I don't care who is responsible. I care that they let a great opportunity in the OOC portion of the year slip away.

As far as the tornament, they are 1-4 against the Top 100. That doesn't get you in the tournament. Joe L doesn't even have them in his last EIGHT OUT this week! He has Dayton and VCU in. The A10 is weak this year and will likely get two teams in the tournament. If Rhody doesn't finish 1st or 2nd, they aren't getting in.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Here or anywhere, bone. A coach's job is to win. But believe it or not and even though it may not feel like it, this season he actually is on a trajectory to make the tournament, which will render a lot of this neuroses moot. Obviously a lot has to be accomplished between now and the end of the season to get the result we want, but I think the unrelenting criticism and the sense of impending doom is a bit much, or at least premature.

If we ultimately fall short of the goal, then the hand wringing can start in earnest.
The hand wringing would have to stop first before it can start. This board has been brutal, can't imagine it can get much worse
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote:Joe L doesn't even have them in his last EIGHT OUT this week! He has Dayton and VCU in.
That is because he has us as an 11 seed. Can't be last eight out when you're in!
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just listened.....
DH thinks Cyril can be a double digit rebounder and those kinds of players are pretty uncommon. Likes langevines aggressiveness, confidence, drive
DH spoke highly about Stanford Robinson's play. Like his ability to penetrate the lane and score or pass. Likes Robinson's defense saying he has the highest steals per minute played on the team. As high as he was on him he finished saying Stan was the most energetic guy at practice today
DH spoke highly about Jeff Dowtin saying not many freshmen around the country on teams of the level (or above) of URI are getting minutes like Jeff is now getting. He said we probably lose 1 of the 2 mid major games (Holy Cross or William & Mary) without Jeff Dowtin.
Good listen. recommend.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We should take care of our business the next 2 games beating STL and SJU then comes the big test @ Dayton let's gear up for that one
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Joe L doesn't even have them in his last EIGHT OUT this week! He has Dayton and VCU in.
That is because he has us as an 11 seed. Can't be last eight out when you're in!
lol

Reading...it's fundamental!
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So, without a 3rd string PG scoring a few points,
we lose to mighty Holy Cross AND William and Mary?
Sad commentary.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:So, without a 3rd string PG scoring a few points,
we lose to mighty Holy Cross AND William and Mary?
Sad commentary.
Wrong. He said we lose 1 of the 2. And Dowtin is not a PG. And vs W&M Robinson and Dowtin each scored 9 points so without those two guys I would think we lose that W&M game. It was a closer game than the 11 point win indicates. Could have easily lost this at home.

http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27575308/
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Oh, that makes me feel much better.
Barf!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:
lol

Reading...it's fundamental!
I guess I'm missing it too. Can you show me where Lunardi has URI an 11 seed?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy - URI is in the last 8 out in the bracketology that came out today. In the bracketology that was current at the time of the post in question, URI was the #11 seed in the West bracket playing Florida.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:Iggy - URI is in the last 8 out in the bracketology that came out today. In the bracketology that was current at the time of the post in question, URI was the #11 seed in the West bracket playing Florida.
He releases his bracket a day early via Twitter so as of yesterday they were not in his bracket.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The only bracketology that was on espn.com as of the time of the post last night included URI in field. And the only bracketology that is currently on espn.com, which is dated today and not last night, does in fact include URI in the next 8 out anyways, which was the whole point of the post.

Regardless, thankfully the season doesn't end today or yesterday and Joe Lunardi doesn't pick the field. So it's really much ado about nothing anyways.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x