Dan Hurley Coach's Show 2016-17

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ramster, I seriously doubt they would be on the hook for the entire thing.....the base amount maybe...not the incentives or revenue sharing.....

I think the base amount is about $300-350K per year....depends on how much of that is guaranteed.....in terms of number of years....

I don't think Thorr and Dooley repeated Carother's mistakes. There also might be provisions in the contract that guarantee him only if we Dance....

If I had to make a guess...URI would probably owe him at least a million dollars.....which like I said, means they can't do anything for a couple of years anyway.

URI is NOT a school that can afford to pay a guy big bucks BEFORE he delivers on his promises.....I know the extensions were done to help with stability in mind.....but they blew it anyway....

They thought the money was going to roll in from NCAAT appearances.....talk about putting the cart before the horse.

URI is now stuck with empty promises and a big loss of revenue......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

For what it's worth, I don't think it is helpful to put forth Kentucky's recruiting or Mark Few's coaching/program building as standards for URI at this point. You're talking about generationally unique things that every one of the 350 D1 schools can't just duplicate if they decide they want to. Like any industry, if a perceptive observer looks around the college basketball landscape, there are elements to steal from other programs that can be helpful in building ours and other elements that would result in spinning our wheels if we tried to copy them. What resources are available to you (human, capital and otherwise) and how can you best deploy them in pursuit of your goal? Everything else is just unproductive talk.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I was rushing with my reply and was referring to the "overnight" Baylor program elevation. Gonzaga wasn't "Gonzaga" overnight either. They've been very good for a long time in a shit conference where they decided they could dominate if they spent more money than the other crappy programs.

Baylor is more impressive given they are in a real conference, but they still have tons of football $ to throw at their basketball program to quickly elevate it.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rambone - a lot of what they've paid for are program improvements that will outlive Dan Hurley; expanding the basketball budget is valuable in and of itself even detached from on-court results.

That said, Dan Hurley is not going anywhere. The program has not reached its goals for a variety of reasons (and this season is not over despite the amount of disappointment it has already produced), but it isn't a dumpster fire. If the program doesn't regress but doesn't move forward appreciably, you're still looking at least three more years. And honestly, that's not just the right call for financial reasons. The program is healthy in the big picture; the off-court stuff is better, you're getting good players, they're competitive in just about every game no matter who they play, they're just not far enough away to justify firing a coach that is still learning and improving himself and who has rebuilt the program, and eating a bunch of money in the process. You can't just piss away a few million dollars because some scrub from Dayton threw in two prayers in 20 seconds against you. It sucks to have patience, but what we've gone through as a fan base isn't Hurley's fault. If we come up short this year, it's still only two times for him having a team that just short. His other three years here he did not have a team that any coach could have danced with so you can't put that all at his feet.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP.....URI can't and won't ever compete at a level anywhere near those programs.....a cash strapped public school that gets most of it's money from private sources.....hell the only reason they were able to let Baron go was money from donors and boosters.

Thorr and Dooley were dazzled by the Hurley name and promises to make us the next Gonzaga.......they were duped......all Dan's done is get the program somewhat comparable to the Daytons and VCU's of the world....but not on the court.....

We and they all hoped he would turn us into a consistent winner.....and wrong again.....now the cycle has to start all over again as soon as DH leaves.....

But yes, the program is in a better place with or without DH.

But 3 more years of frustration? I hope the hell not. Look at NC State...Gottfried got them to the dance 4 years in a row...and he's about to be canned before the season is over.....of course that's a program on a different level with tons more money than we will ever have....but that's the way the world is right now.....

I'm sorry, URI can't and shouldn't wait 3 more years to do something.....it's obvious the players that Dan has recruited to this point aren't good enough...and evidence is mounting HE's not good enough......so we're going to wait 3 more years to find out he can't get it done?
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

"Nova won the tourney last year playing smallish. "

Yes, this is true. But on the national level, compared to the teams they had to compete with to win a title. Ohefu 6' 11", Daryl Reynolds
6'9", Mykal Bridges 6'7", Kris Jenkens , a rugged 6' 6" and has Jim Baron type range. Not to mention Josh Hart and Ryan Arcidiacono. Solid 6-4 , 6-5 guys. Also, with that line up, they played a very uptempo, fast game, with a lot of offense. Great defensively as well. I think you are indicating the game is not going "small" as Dan continues to claim. If that is a smaller lineup, then the majority of other teams must be a lot bigger. Villanova has extremely high level, high octane type talents. Not to be compared to Nova in any way, but if that is a small line up, which it is to a degree, I think it clearly displays there are quite a few very big teams out there.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bone, the contacts are public so there's no need to be throwing out guesses, fear, doubt, misinformation.

To paraphrase the contract, in the event of unilateral termination without cause, URI is on the hook for base salary $300k plus Supplemental Income (Damages: $590k this year, $640k FY2018-2021; $100k media obligations; $40k athletic function availability) annually through the END OF THE CONTRACT.

So fire away, just be sure to have all those millions ready.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:Rambone - a lot of what they've paid for are program improvements that will outlive Dan Hurley; expanding the basketball budget is valuable in and of itself even detached from on-court results.

That said, Dan Hurley is not going anywhere. The program has not reached its goals for a variety of reasons (and this season is not over despite the amount of disappointment it has already produced), but it isn't a dumpster fire. If the program doesn't regress but doesn't move forward appreciably, you're still looking at least three more years. And honestly, that's not just the right call for financial reasons. The program is healthy in the big picture; the off-court stuff is better, you're getting good players, they're competitive in just about every game no matter who they play, they're just not far enough away to justify firing a coach that is still learning and improving himself and who has rebuilt the program, and eating a bunch of money in the process. You can't just piss away a few million dollars because some scrub from Dayton threw in two prayers in 20 seconds against you. It sucks to have patience, but what we've gone through as a fan base isn't Hurley's fault. If we come up short this year, it's still only two times for him having a team that just short. His other three years here he did not have a team that any coach could have danced with so you can't put that all at his feet.
And even that first team, 2014-15, would have overachieved if they made the tournament. There's a real case to be made that this would be the first year where if they don't make the tournament Hurley underachieved. Rhode Island is not the type of program that can fire a coach after one disappointing year.
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

TruePoint wrote:Rambone - a lot of what they've paid for are program improvements that will outlive Dan Hurley; expanding the basketball budget is valuable in and of itself even detached from on-court results.

100% agree.

we are still in decent shape with 3 cupcakes lined up and another crack at a huge game at home against VCU Rams - the pathway to reach our season goals remains remarkably wide open. No one is more frustrated than me with multiple blown games but way premature to talk about blowing up the program.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Thorr and Dooley were dazzled by the Hurley name and promises to make us the next Gonzaga.......they were duped......all Dan's done is get the program somewhat comparable to the Daytons and VCU's of the world....but not on the court.....
We've lost two games this year to Dayton by a combined four points. If you go back to last year, we're 1-3 against them and we've outscored them by 3 points in those four games. We're very comparable to Dayton on the court, we just haven't gotten over the final hurdle yet. And we can still get over that hurdle this year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Bone, the contacts are public so there's no need to be throwing out guesses, fear, doubt, misinformation.

To paraphrase the contract, in the event of unilateral termination without cause, URI is on the hook for base salary $300k plus Supplemental Income (Damages: $590k this year, $640k FY2018-2021; $100k media obligations; $40k athletic function availability) annually through the END OF THE CONTRACT.

Why look anything up yourself when you can just have someone else do the work or make something up?
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: Thorr and Dooley were dazzled by the Hurley name and promises to make us the next Gonzaga.......they were duped......all Dan's done is get the program somewhat comparable to the Daytons and VCU's of the world....but not on the court.....

We and they all hoped he would turn us into a consistent winner.....and wrong again.....now the cycle has to start all over again as soon as DH leaves.....
This is just wrong. Hurley looks to have been a good hire in my estimation. Where this program was when they hired him, it could have gone completely sideways. We are winning consistently now, and should be for the foreseeable future based on the talent in the program and on its way. There is obviously another step or two to take, but winning consistently isn't the problem. It's winning one or two more games that are right in your hands. I still think, as stubborn as it makes me, that's all some combination of luck of mental block. At some point things will break differently and maybe that allows our guys to relax in those moments and we find our equilibrium.
I'm sorry, URI can't and shouldn't wait 3 more years to do something.....it's obvious the players that Dan has recruited to this point aren't good enough...and evidence is mounting HE's not good enough......so we're going to wait 3 more years to find out he can't get it done?
Yeah I just don't know how you can watch the games and have a functional brain and come to this conclusion. Isn't the whole thing that we are mad about that they have choked games away that they clearly should have won? If they just aren't good enough, how do they keep getting into position to close the games before failing to do so? Like I said, there is some combination of luck and mental block, and once it snaps (and god knows it can't happen soon enough) I'd expect things to start to balance out in a hurry.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
This is just wrong. Hurley looks to have been a good hire in my estimation. Where this program was when they hired it, it could have gone completely sideways. We are winning consistently now, and should be for the foreseeable future based on the talent in the program and on its way. There is obviously another step or two to take, but winning consistently isn't the problem. It's winning one or two more games that are right in your hands. I still think, as stubborn as it makes me, that's all some combination of luck of mental block. At some point things will break differently and maybe that allows our guys to relax in those moments and we find our equilibrium.
I guess we will see as to the last point but I definitely disagree on the first point. You hire someone to make the dance. Plain and simple. Yes, the world is full of grays and not black and white. Not college hoops. In a world where 64 teams make it every year, there are 35 or so at large bids. Give him a pass on years 1 and 2. We are talking 100 chances over the last three years. No, no one was apoplectic that he didn't make it in year 3 or year 4 because of injuries but it's time to put the hay in the barn. It's failure of a hire if he goes 5,6,7 years without dancing. That does make him Jim Baron 2.0. And I don't see how you could be optimistic about the post Jared Terrell talent. That is not a core that will dance. Do I need to list the offers of all those guys compared to Hassan through Terrell? My fear is they fall short this year, Hassan leaves, EC figures it's time to get paid (somewhere) and we are looking at a rough stretch starting in November.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I think everyone agrees it will be a failure if they don't make it this year. Of course, it's as likely, probably even more likely, that they make the tournament then EC leaves.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:For what it's worth, I don't think it is helpful to put forth Kentucky's recruiting or Mark Few's coaching/program building as standards for URI at this point. You're talking about generationally unique things that every one of the 350 D1 schools can't just duplicate if they decide they want to. Like any industry, if a perceptive observer looks around the college basketball landscape, there are elements to steal from other programs that can be helpful in building ours and other elements that would result in spinning our wheels if we tried to copy them. What resources are available to you (human, capital and otherwise) and how can you best deploy them in pursuit of your goal? Everything else is just unproductive talk.
And how about Umass' recruiting? Shouldn't we at least be on their level? Watch them next year. Maybe DK isn't a great coach, but he's getting much higher rated players than we are now.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm not impressed with any of the guys UMass brought in, personally. But is our new expectation that nobody else in the league is ever allowed to recruit a high ranked player, otherwise it's our fault? I don't have an issue with our recruiting. I think we've brought in and continue to bring in players who are good enough to win with.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

UMass had one great year, this year, based on having nothing on the roster and practically unlimited playing time. Essentially Kellogg is totally rebuilding in his ninth season on the job. We've seen that an Atlantic 10 team can recruit very good talent to a rebuild. Let's see how UMass does recruiting now that they don't have that to offer anymore, then make a comparison. Or compare who we're bringing in at this point to what UMass was bringing in at the same point and see how that stacks up.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Bone, the contacts are public so there's no need to be throwing out guesses, fear, doubt, misinformation.

ATP,
So it would be:
2017-18 = 300+590+100+40=1030
2018-19 = 300+640+100+40=1080
2019-20 = 300+640+100+40=1080
2020-21 = 300+640+100+40=1080
Total = $4,270,000.....is this right or am I missing something?
Unless of course there is some sort of negotiation
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:
rambone 78 wrote: Thorr and Dooley were dazzled by the Hurley name and promises to make us the next Gonzaga.......they were duped......all Dan's done is get the program somewhat comparable to the Daytons and VCU's of the world....but not on the court.....

This is just wrong. Hurley looks to have been a good hire in my estimation. Where this program was when they hired him, it could have gone completely sideways. We are winning consistently now, and should be for the foreseeable future based on the talent in the program and on its way. There is obviously another step or two to take, but winning consistently isn't the problem. It's winning one or two more games that are right in your hands. I still think, as stubborn as it makes me, that's all some combination of luck of mental block. At some point things will break differently and maybe that allows our guys to relax in those moments and we find our equilibrium.
I don't think Hurley was necessarily a bad hire but I also don't know how good of a hire it was because I don't remember the other coaches who were out there. People on this board act like no one would want to coach here and we got lucky getting Hurley but I don't think that's the case. We have a beautiful facility in the Ryan Center, we play in a conference that gets at large bids every year, we showed that we will give a coach more than a fair shot (11 years) to prove himself and we also made that same coach the highest paid employee in the state. It would have taken an incredibly dumb decision by the administration to put the program in any worse shape than it already was.

We went for a big name who was unproven. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but I think looking for an assistant coach at the P5/Big East level or a more successful mid major head coach would have worked out just as well as what we're getting with Hurley.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hurley is under contract through the 2021-22 season after the one year extension he signed in May.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:I didn't listen to the show, Dan actually said that? Wow....well he knows they suck in the clutch, and so does everybody else.

Of course, maybe he should work on designing plays to get his players an open shot...and having them execute them for once.

Rambone,

I listened to the Show this morning. I would encourage you to also, it is only 45 minutes in length and I thought it was informative and fair. I did not think Steve and Don just lobbed softball questions his way. I think Dan pretty much says what is on his mind, the good and the not so good.
He said that Williams was not supposed to have been open at the 3 point line, that they practice that and they all know that. Martin had switched off and was on Scocchie Smith as Smith drive in side. Dan said Martin did not need any help with Smith and might have ended up blocking Smith's shot if he decided to shoot but Kuran left his man to help out Martin leaving Williams open.

Some of this could be contributed to the excitement of the game and the moment but you must stay with your man even if out at the 3 point line.

But a good listen, I always listen to these shows, and encourage everyone too. And it think it can be misleading to take phrases out of context without listening to the entire conversation.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hurley has us on the prescibiss.
All we are lacking is that killer instinct to close games out. Especially in big games.
We are very close.
Dan has laid the foundation for us to compete at the top of the conference for years to come because of the recruiting and everything.

I really don't want to watch the tournament without us in it again this year. Always a sucky feeling...

Kellogg should be fired. I don't see UMass going anywhere.
They made that one tournament under him because they had a billion seniors and d-league European level pro players.
Still they fell apart and Tennessee whooped their UMass.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:UMass had one great year, this year, based on having nothing on the roster and practically unlimited playing time. Essentially Kellogg is totally rebuilding in his ninth season on the job. We've seen that an Atlantic 10 team can recruit very good talent to a rebuild. Let's see how UMass does recruiting now that they don't have that to offer anymore, then make a comparison. Or compare who we're bringing in at this point to what UMass was bringing in at the same point and see how that stacks up.
They're currently recruiting Javonte Smart, a 5*, top 20 player in the '18 class. Who knows if they will get him, but there's the level of player they're recruiting. We won't even go near players like that. That's the difference right now.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Wow so it seems like we may have made the exact same mistake that we made with Baron...great.

I'm not to familiar with college basketball coaches contracts but does anyone know if schools put not making the NCAAs within x number of years as a cause for termination?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:I didn't listen to the show, Dan actually said that? Wow....well he knows they suck in the clutch, and so does everybody else.

Of course, maybe he should work on designing plays to get his players an open shot...and having them execute them for once.

Rambone,

I listened to the Show this morning. I would encourage you to also, it is only 45 minutes in length and I thought it was informative and fair. I did not think Steve and Don just lobbed softball questions his way. I think Dan pretty much says what is on his mind, the good and the not so good.
He said that Williams was not supposed to have been open at the 3 point line, that they practice that and they all know that. Martin had switched off and was on Scocchie Smith as Smith drive in side. Dan said Martin did not need any help with Smith and might have ended up blocking Smith's shot if he decided to shoot but Kuran left his man to help out Martin leaving Williams open.

Some of this could be contributed to the excitement of the game and the moment but you must stay with your man even if out at the 3 point line.

But a good listen, I always listen to these shows, and encourage everyone too. And it think it can be misleading to take phrases out of context without listening to the entire conversation.
Don't press full court in that situation. Once Scoochie blows by Dowtin deep in the backcourt, it becomes a mad scramble for the defense running back at full speed. Running back in a mad scramble makes it much more likely that someone will be out of position. Hard pressure at half court would have been better. Scoochie doesnt have as much room to go full speed and we're more likely to stay with our man.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

PeterRamTime wrote:Hurley has us on the prescibiss.
All we are lacking is that killer instinct to close games out. Especially in big games.
We are very close.
Dan has laid the foundation for us to compete at the top of the conference for years to come because of the recruiting and everything.
Here's my problem with this thinking, how will we get any closer than this year? Dan sold a lot of our recruits on the fact that we'd be an NCAA tournament team. This year looks like it will be Dan's most talented roster for at least the first 7 seasons of his time here. This season really is make or break, recruiting will most likely go down if we miss and Dan will now have to find a way to get a less talented team than this one to the tournament.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ramster, yes to a degree. And I think we can add another season's worth of base+supplemental for the season ending in 2022.

BUT that assumes Hurley is unable to find comparable employment. He must make a good-faith effort to find comparable employment to offset the liquidated damages URI is entitled to pay.

Offset clause: If Hurley gets another job (whether he is fired or resigns), his comparable NEW income offsets URI's obligation to pay damages I listed earlier.

URI has certain additional protections in the contract if Hurley decides to go elsewhere on his own accord.

Poaching Clause: If Hurley resigns (is not fired) and goes to another job, he (or his hiring school) has to pay URI $1M (through FY 2017) or $1.2M (between FY18-20) or $500k after FY20.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So we have people who are happy the buyout is in the insane category.
Who cares about wins, as long as we can have status quo?
The circle jerk on this thread is nauseating.
As for the Gonzaga references not being useful,
guess who first brought it up?
Dan Hurley.
As for resources, and "shit schools", BYU is hardly that,
and their resources bury Gonzaga and everyone else in
their conference.
They play in a 20,000 seat arena, which they fill.
St. Mary's has done better than us, and sent multiple
players to the NBA, in addition to NCAA appearances.
Again, do some reseach before mouthing off.
This A-10 is hardly the Xavier, Temple, WVA, VATech A-10.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:UMass had one great year, this year, based on having nothing on the roster and practically unlimited playing time. Essentially Kellogg is totally rebuilding in his ninth season on the job. We've seen that an Atlantic 10 team can recruit very good talent to a rebuild. Let's see how UMass does recruiting now that they don't have that to offer anymore, then make a comparison. Or compare who we're bringing in at this point to what UMass was bringing in at the same point and see how that stacks up.
They're currently recruiting Javonte Smart, a 5*, top 20 player in the '18 class. Who knows if they will get him, but there's the level of player they're recruiting. We won't even go near players like that. That's the difference right now.
I thought the difference RIGHT NOW is that they are looking down the barrel at a last place finish in the league and we are fighting it out trying to claw our way to the top?
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:I don't think Hurley was necessarily a bad hire but I also don't know how good of a hire it was because I don't remember the other coaches who were out there. People on this board act like no one would want to coach here and we got lucky getting Hurley but I don't think that's the case. We have a beautiful facility in the Ryan Center, we play in a conference that gets at large bids every year, we showed that we will give a coach more than a fair shot (11 years) to prove himself and we also made that same coach the highest paid employee in the state. It would have taken an incredibly dumb decision by the administration to put the program in any worse shape than it already was.

We went for a big name who was unproven. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but I think looking for an assistant coach at the P5/Big East level or a more successful mid major head coach would have worked out just as well as what we're getting with Hurley.
These are the coaches hired that year that have made the tournament since.
Larry Eustachy at Colorado State in his first year
John Groce at Illinois in his first year
Bruce Weber at Kansas State in his first and second years
Jack Perri at LIU in his first year
Johnny Jones at LSU in his third year (who missed the postseason entirely last year with Ben Simmons)
Jamion Christian at Mount St. Mary's in his second year
Tim Miles at Nebraska in his second year
Cy Alexander at North Carolina A&T in his first year
Larry Brown at SMU in his second year (and who ran such a dirty program his team wasn't eligible for the postseason the following year)
Mike Davis at Texas Southern who made it in his second and third years
Danny Manning at Tulsa who made it in his second year and moved to Wake Forest
Jerod Haase at UAB who made it in his third year and is at Stanford this year
Ray Harper at Western Kentucky who made it his first and second year and is at Jacksonville State this year.

So that's 13 coaches that have made the tournament that were hired the same year as Hurley out of about 45-50 coaches hired. Four of those 13 were hired by BCS schools and were therefore probably not reasonable candidates for our position. Duquesne was the only other A10 school to hire a coach that offseason and they went with Jim Ferry. You can find the entire list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%8 ... ng_changes
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
I thought the difference RIGHT NOW is that they are looking down the barrel at a last place finish in the league and we are fighting it out trying to claw our way to the top?
I'm talking about recruiting RIGHT NOW. It could be a while before we beat them again, unless we get them in the tourney this year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
That's a horrible way of evaluating recruiting. Who cares that they're going after him if they don't get him? I can ask out Elisha Cuthbert, that doesn't mean I'm in her league.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Another way of looking at our bid status is that we are still in contention for one and we have had to play a freshman point guard for the last 6 or 7 games. No question Dowtin has played well but Garrett would have played much better if 100% healthy. To quote the late Jack Kraft who is quoted often by another poster on this board "your point guard is the most important position on your team".
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: They're currently recruiting Javonte Smart, a 5*, top 20 player in the '18 class. Who knows if they will get him, but there's the level of player they're recruiting. We won't even go near players like that. That's the difference right now.
I'm talking about recruiting RIGHT NOW. It could be a while before we beat them again, unless we get them in the tourney this year.
I doubt it. Like I said, I've seen their freshmen play a few times. I wasn't impressed. Pipkins and Jerrou are getting points because they are getting so many minutes and taking so many shots, but I'm not ready to cede the league to UMass for the next several years based on their freshmen.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:adam, not sure how much they would owe him...I know if he left for another program URI would be in good shape.....but like has been said....nobody will want him.

Anyway, after this season I would think the calls for him to go will increase.....but it's not likely that he does for a while.....so expect more of the "same old same old"........
Right, I agree that it's not likely he is gone for awhile unless he leaves for another job. That's why I was asking about the buy out when you said "one more year and that's it". Was that just your opinion that he should get one more year or was that what you've been hearing? Maybe I misunderstood and took it the wrong way.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
I doubt it. Like I said, I've seen their freshmen play a few times. I wasn't impressed. Pipkins and Jerrou are getting points because they are getting so many minutes and taking so many shots, but I'm not ready to cede the league to UMass for the next several years based on their freshmen.
They're also developing two 4* PFs along with a quickly developing, humongous C. We'll see.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Were you impressed with Terrell as a freshman? Literally all of Jarreau's stats are better than Terrell's when he was a freshman. Jarreau's also averaging less minutes and taking less shots than Terrell did but obviously because Jarreau plays for Umass he must suck, right?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: I'm talking about recruiting RIGHT NOW. It could be a while before we beat them again, unless we get them in the tourney this year.
They're also developing two 4* PFs along with a quickly developing, humongous C. We'll see.
Kellogg is developing players? We'll see about that. That will be something new over his 9 year career.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Kellogg is developing players? We'll see about that. That will be something new over his 9 year career.
How's the development of our big guys going? Only 1 out of 4 is playing, and as much as I like his effort, I have seen zero development since early in the season.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: I'm talking about recruiting RIGHT NOW. It could be a while before we beat them again, unless we get them in the tourney this year.
Were you impressed with Terrell as a freshman? Literally all of Jarreau's stats are better than Terrell's when he was a freshman. Jarreau's also averaging less minutes and taking less shots than Terrell did but obviously because Jarreau plays for Umass he must suck, right?
It's hard to remember exactly what I thought of Jared as a freshman, but even if the offensive statistics are pretty comparable Jared was regarded as a developmental player on offense that could play right away anyways because he was a beast physically and could defend right away.

The biggest difference between Jerrou and Jared is that Jared was and is built like a pit bull and Jerrou is built like an extra in a Feed the Children commercial, so even if he wasn't all the way a lock down defender and strong around the basket as a frosh, it seemed reasonable to project those things for Jared.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Terrell was hardly considered a developmental player on offense. He was a stud offensive player at Brewster.
Last edited by Billyboy78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: They're also developing two 4* PFs along with a quickly developing, humongous C. We'll see.
How's the development of our big guys going? Only 1 out of 4 is playing, and as much as I like his effort, I have seen zero development since early in the season.
I think good, right? I mean Martin is a completely different player than when he stepped on campus. I think it is objectively silly to judge the development of freshmen big guys during the season when they have good players ahead of them and haven't been relied on much. How good was Holloway as a freshman? Langevine is arguably further along in his development and he's had to fight for minutes on a good team, unlike Holloway last year.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For me I'm just trying to understand the financial implications based on all the contributing areas to annual salary and number of year's remaining.
I don't know if it's insane or not til I know the facts
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
I think good, right? I mean Martin is a completely different player than when he stepped on campus. I think it is objectively silly to judge the development of freshmen big guys during the season when they have good players ahead of them and haven't been relied on much. How good was Holloway as a freshman? Langevine is arguably further along in his development and he's had to fight for minutes on a good team, unlike Holloway last year.
Hass has developed a baby hook and got his range to about 12 feet. I think the plan was for much more than that for him.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:adam, not sure how much they would owe him...I know if he left for another program URI would be in good shape.....but like has been said....nobody will want him.

Anyway, after this season I would think the calls for him to go will increase.....but it's not likely that he does for a while.....so expect more of the "same old same old"........
Right, I agree that it's not likely he is gone for awhile unless he leaves for another job. That's why I was asking about the buy out when you said "one more year and that's it". Was that just your opinion that he should get one more year or was that what you've been hearing? Maybe I misunderstood and took it the wrong way.
That is the way I interpreted it as well, that there is a group of insiders that is saying he could be gone in a year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who handles Holloway next year.....Tertsea?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Terrell was hardly considered a developmental player on offense. He was a stud offensive player at Brewster.
I don't understand what Brewster has to do with anything. If you watched him play as a freshman at URI, it was obvious he was not fully developed as an offensive player. He still may not be, but he's miles ahead of where he started.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Terrell was hardly considered a developmental player on offense. He was a stud offensive player at Brewster.
I don't understand what Brewster has to do with anything. If you watched him play as a freshman at URI, it was obvious he was not fully developed as an offensive player. He still may not be, but he's miles ahead of where he started.
He's always had a good looking shot, it's been consistency that's the problem. When talking about any freshman it's easy to say they're not fully developed as an offensive player unless they're a one and done. There's a clear difference between a guy like Hassan as a freshman, who really didn't have any offensive ability other than dunking, and a guy like Terrell who showed signs he could turn into a very good offensive player.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If you considered Terrell to be a development player offensively coming out of high school, then there have been very few players in our history that were NOT considered to be developmental.
Last edited by Billyboy78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: How's the development of our big guys going? Only 1 out of 4 is playing, and as much as I like his effort, I have seen zero development since early in the season.
I think good, right? I mean Martin is a completely different player than when he stepped on campus. I think it is objectively silly to judge the development of freshmen big guys during the season when they have good players ahead of them and haven't been relied on much.AgHow good was Holloway as a freshman? Langevine is arguably further along in his development and he's had to fight for minutes on a good team, unlike Holloway last year.
Hass has developed a baby hook and got his range to about 12 feet. I think the plan was for much more than that for him.

Agree totally Billy. Hassan has a lot of physical gifts and is a tremendous player, but it is certainly questionable if he had developed to the level he could have, given his physical talent. You have to remember, players also develop on their own, especially if they are dedicated to game, like Hass appears to be. Physical and mental maturity are natural, therefore, you should be better as time goes by. Hass works very hard, so there is an improvement level with his own work also. Let's go up north again with Cooley. Look at the improvement of Ben Bentil. Cooley did an excellent job with Kadeem Batts, making him an NBA combine type player. I have seen dramatic improvement in those guys, can't say the same for Hassan. What will Kalif Young do againt us in next 3 years?
Since , evidently you cannot compare anything URI outside of A 10, schools, PC is convenient and not a " national" powerhouse. Love JT too, but he was a big time recruit who has definitely not progressed to the prime time, consistent performer many would have expected.
Players improving and progressing, very much effects recruiting. Talk to some high level AAU/Prep school kids and coaches. They like to see the fact guys improve greatly at whatever school they attend.
0 x