Dan Hurley Coach's Show 2016-17

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I'd like to know why his defensive schemes always have three guys collapsing on penetration and leave jump shooters wide open.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'll be at the March Mews show for the postmortem........and that's before the A10T.

RI Red....Dan told them not to do that......but they do it anyway.......we don't have very disciplined players.

Hey other teams do it too when we charge the lane....but our open guys never see a pass.

Fundamental basketball.....we aren't very good at it.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

I seem to remember another coach explaining things by saying, "we told our guys. . . "
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RI Red, that's Baron 2.0 territory.......and I remember that too.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show - TONIGHT 6pm The Mews Tavern

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It's time for Coffee With the Coach!! (ugh)

http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27661701/
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So they watched the tape at the end of the Dayton game......and they saw their mistakes......that's great if they don't repeat them but we all know better.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

During his post-game press conference Friday night, he named a number of occasions in the last three seasons where the same thing happened.

Dan: If the same thing happens season after season -- as you yourself acknowledge -- maybe you need to do something other than "tell our guys."
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It happens in every close game against good teams...without exception......

I'm sure he does more than just tell them...but they never do it. So who's to blame?

It might be the players...but the coach gets the blame......and he'll pay the price for it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

BTW, unless the show features more than one coach it should read "COACH'S SHOW."
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There is usually at least one assistant at the show, but they don't get up and speak that often.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Jim Carr usually hangs in the back, especially during the Charlie-O's Shows. Good to talk to him when you're so far away from the front that you can't even hear the show :D
Last edited by thatRamBand 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Is it me, or does every coaches show seem like our games, a re-run. Just the names, dates and at times excuses change. Steve and Don throwing the softest questions possible, most which seem like Dan wrote them for them. And very little information, if any at all. I really don't expect much more out of a coaches show. It is Dan's show, he is certainly not there to be grilled or insult anyone and I wouldn't expect or want him too.

2 things he said they did catch my ear a bit. First of all, he commented again on how "hard" it is to make the tournament and how tourney is geared toward power 5 schools and it is very difficult to make it as a mid major and he "knew" that coming in. And again referenced how few times this program has been there. Like putting up a little wall to deflect the fact this team has disappointed thus far and may not make the tourney again. Anyway, while all that may be true to a degree, look at the list of schools that have made the tournament since 1999 that was posted. Not many schools on that list who haven't danced. And Northwestern is coming off that list this year, so it gets smaller. We are lumped with Fordham and Duquesne. Wonderful. As "hard" as it may be and the fact he "knew", in essence what a poor program URI was and how "hard" this job would be, basically every other school in D-1 has been able to get over the hump and find a way to get by that difficulty. Maybe we are simply cursed.

And secondly, Dan says no way would he think of putting KI, Hass and Akele out there at the same time, "that's not the way the game is going". I know Dan's main mission is to watch and play teams in A 10, but has he ever watched a national game on tv, after he watches a Richmond tape? His teams were much bigger at St Benedicts. If we did make the tourney, we may be the smallest team in there, of any note anyway. Louisville, Baylor, SYR , Kansas on tv last night, look at those squads. Ok, they are national powers. But look through the top 25 and show me teams that are anywhere near as small as us? ND, Butler maybe? But those players are extremely skilled scorers. Remember, Dan said himself, he would like to make URI a Gonzaga like mid major type program, not a Richmond type. We struggle to stop Holloway from UMass. What happens if we make it to the tourney and have to face Caleb Swanigan an Issac Haas? While there may not be a ton of great bigs out there and the power 5 certainly scoops up the very good ones, they are out there. Fine, if you you believe our team is fine, but I believe it is an inaccurate comment and either a comment to attempt to satisfy the fan base and also a comment that displays his stubbornness to change a belief, which ultimately will effect his ability to grow as a coach, if he can.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:BTW, unless the show features more than one coach it should read "COACH'S SHOW."
Well done. Good catch. As I've noted before on this board, how one writes (and speaks) says a lot about a person. Sloppy grammar and spelling is a poor reflection on a person, university, etc. (and a country if your President tweets like a 2nd grader)
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Glad my thread title is correct.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"that's not the way the game is going".
So, he can't think outside of the box, because in
his mind,"that's not the way the game is going".
Well, watch Oregon sometime. Watch Purdue.
Watch Baylor. Watch UNC.
So many teams with skilled bigs, all playing together
at the same time.
Also, there are teams out there who have guards as tall or
taller than our center.
Doesn't fit the narrative of,"that's not the way the game is going".
and the desire to be more like Richmond than Gonzaga, or
any of the big boys.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We go over this all the time. Why bring up true nationally elite programs who have dibs on the very limited pool of skilled bigs? Rhode Island isn't getting that class of player.

Hurley can recruit above his league for guards, so he does. The bigs we get are never ever going to be the skilled bigs with NBA size who can all play on the floor at the same time.

Are you saying Hurley has legitimate chance to land these types of players who are almost exclusively found in the biggest, best programs, but he CHOOSES NOT to pursue them?

If he doesn't have a chance, should he waste his recruiting resources trying to win the internet with "RI University offers Big Jim Skilz from Flatland, NE" all over Twitter?
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, stop the bullshit that we can't get
6'7'-6'9" guys who can walk and chew gum at the same time.
Try watching something outside of A-10 play.
There are a boatload of guys who fit the bill.
Guess what? They weren't all top 100 players,
and they didn't all go to P5 schools.
On the other hand, why would a good frontcourt player want to come here,
when we haven't had a scoring forward since Delroy James?
Opposing coaches get in the ear of a kid and tell them how many
touches the frontcourt players get compared to the guards here.
The idea that there are no good frontcourt players other than
those at P5 schools is ABSURD!
Then again, I don;t have to blanket defend the status quo by
justifying this absurdity.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:We go over this all the time. Why bring up true nationally elite programs who have dibs on the very limited pool of skilled bigs? Rhode Island isn't getting that class of player.

Hurley can recruit above his league for guards, so he does. The bigs we get are never ever going to be the skilled bigs with NBA size who can all play on the floor at the same time.
That is the narrative on those who have the theory that URI basketball in lucky to be where they are and those who do not, please don't have the foolish illusion you can actually compete on the national level. "Competing" , but not actually winning at the A 10 level is great. If anything more where to happen, it's icing on the cake and wonderful. Saw a Jim Boehiem special yesterday. He took over a SYR program that had lost over 25 games in a row. His attitude was, I don't care about the past, we will reach for the stars and accomplish what we hadn't before basically. Look what Syracuse has become. Period. Jim Boeheim's success in extremely rare, but it's the belief and the goals or Syr may have continued on the same path.....look at our history. Yes, there was in a far different era, but those things can still happen today. There are hundreds of coaches out there that have this positive attitude, we will achieve attitude mentality. Dan doesn't seem too have that. If he says he does, it gospel to many.

First of all, URI is not pathetic and have certainly made strides from when Dan first got here. And even if we don't make the tourney, which fans so deeply desire, the program is in a positive direction and on its way up. Its only been 5 years and we are not a .500 or under team, so there is no need for "hard" or "game is going small" type of comments to soften what may happen if things get worse. I understand this isn't a KY, IND or NC area type fan base, so it is easier to sell. If you don't want to call them excuses, they are flat out cop outs. Your most successful coaches don't go there. No need to, unless your program is actually failing at a high level,(which we are not) or you have zero confidence in what you are doing.

Teams, inherit the mentality and personality of a coach. That's they way it is in athletics. Not sure what happens in a school's athletic office department and how they run the show. Maybe its different. Dan, at least in this point in his career, tends to set up a back drop for failure, instead of a killer , "I will succeed no matter what " attitude. That's a problem.

And, BTW, when you say you want a Gonzaga type program, you are putting yourself in a national type program area. So again it goes back to expectations. Richmond? Cute, be happy and spend your money you, probably, have worked hard for and things are great. When you have bigger aspirations,(and have been spending money for nearly 50 years) it is a different mind set.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Gonzaga wasn't born overnight. You don't elevate a program from middling A10 to competing for skilled bigs without taking some steps.

Again, do you both think that we would suddenly start getting the top bigs if we wanted to?
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Look at Baylor. Nobody here wants to.
As Jay Bilas said, Scott Drew has done the best
rebuilding job in NCAA history.
Took a death sentenced school, with two NCAAs ever,
in Waco, Texas. A football school in a football state.
The record speaks for itself.
Yes, it was built quickly from total desolation.
Yet we can't even go to an NCAA since 1999.
"It's hard to do", and "we haven't gone many times.
Mark Few became Gonzaga's coach in 1999.
Here's his record of going to NCAAs:
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
Gee, never missed ONE YEAR!
Not born overnight? Really?
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Nope. Not overnight. Look at all those years you listed. Coach Few brought a wealth of assets with him to a school who decided to spend some of their football money on making their basketball program nationally competitive.

Is URI operating in that same resources class?
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ATPTourFan wrote:Nope. Not overnight. Look at all those years you listed. Coach Few brought a wealth of assets with him to a school who decided to spend some of their football money on making their basketball program nationally competitive.

They had one NCAA tournament appearance before 99...if that's not building a program overnight then I'm not sure what is. Also what did Few bring with him? He was the assistant at Gonzaga for 10 years before he was the head coach.

Also how is the football program relevant? They got rid of it in 1941.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

A point made by Bilas the other night on Gonzaga,
they were on the ropes financially in Few's first years.
BASKETBALL helped build a small Catholic school ibn Spokane,WA
to financial solvency.
Do some research before the BS knee jerk reaction about
all the money Few had to spend on his program.
Few brought jack shit with him, because he was promoted when
Dan Monson left for Minnesota. He was an assistant coach.
The only NCAA was in 1995, so Few didn't inherit a goldmine.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

We have to wait five years to even think about getting a highly recruited big? Hassan was a highly recruited big!!! Maybe since Bobby and Preston aren't here, anymore, to do the heavy lifting in recruiting...
It really burns me to say that it's heavily weighted to the P5 schools as far as making the tournament. What a load of crap. I would bet that at least 200 different programs have been to the NCAAs since URI last went. You want to sell me on it's hard for a non P5 school to make the football playoffs, I will buy it. If you are good enough, you will make the tournament in basketball. Maybe there is a one school every year that gets bumped in favor of like a middling ACC team. Maybe. Whatever. Don't be that one school.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Good time at the show last night...always nice to see the coach and radio hosts, gracious as ever...and fellow Rhody fans and get to meet 105 in person as well. Cheers and Go Rhody.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Umass has two 6'9" 4 star freshmen on their team right now, along with a 6'5" 4 star freshman.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Gonebarongone wrote:We have to wait five years to even think about getting a highly recruited big? Hassan was a highly recruited big!!! Maybe since Bobby and Preston aren't here, anymore, to do the heavy lifting in recruiting...
It really burns me to say that it's heavily weighted to the P5 schools as far as making the tournament. What a load of crap. I would bet that at least 200 different programs have been to the NCAAs since URI last went. You want to sell me on it's hard for a non P5 school to make the football playoffs, I will buy it. If you are good enough, you will make the tournament in basketball. Maybe there is a one school every year that gets bumped in favor of like a middling ACC team. Maybe. Whatever. Don't be that one school.
Wasn't Hassan a three star? Which is basically exactly what Langevine and Layssard were? So how has recruiting really changed when it comes to bigs?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Looks like we should hire a new recruiting coordinator and he won't have to relocate from Cranston.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Eli starting shit again. C'mon mods.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:Nope. Not overnight. Look at all those years you listed. Coach Few brought a wealth of assets with him to a school who decided to spend some of their football money on making their basketball program nationally competitive.

First of all to other posts, Hassan is not a big. 6' 6" and very strong is not a big. NOT A BIG. A big for us maybe, because we don't know what a big is. ARD was one of our greatest players ever, but he was not a "big". Hass has been great for us, but he is an A 10 type 4 and a nationally undersized 4, big time. And he has absolutely zero help. KI is 6-9, but is not a 5 or a 4. He is tall, yes. Akele may be 6-8 or so, but he is a 3 at best, not even questionable. If you are talking about beating St Bonnies or Duquense, fine. But I have, and Danny, claims he has higher hopes. The 2 Michaels are at least "bigs". We will see how that goes. Hopefully great. But, the way the game is changing is a fall back, borderline ridiculous comment. And, also, the point is Dan is basically admitting he either cannot recruit anyone over 6-5 or he is unwilling to even attempt. I must admit, if I was the father or coach of someone over 6-6, I would be very hesitant to even consider playing at URI.

Overnight? Overnight? I am sure you will be saying overnight even if the current process goes until 2030. Gonzaga, football money? Seriously? Don Monson was the coach there first of all, maybe way before your time. Basketball was invented and played before Jim Baron and Dan Hurley coached here.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

If you look at the Recruitment Corner thread first page (which I never do) - it's all guards and small forwards (looks like about 90% of the threads). I'd think it would be attractive for a big that has hands and could score to come to URI...You know you're always going to have good guards...and you'd be doing something no one else on the team does. At work, I always look to do the things that are needed (that I know I can do well), that no one else wants to (or can) do...creates job security at work, seems like it should result in lots of PT here...
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

"hands" wow. That may apply to the little guys too. Dan has recruited very well IMO. He , just seems to only look at guys that are either guards or wings. That;s great, but there is no chance in hell you are going to win, even A 10 titles with a bunch of 6-4 guys. And, FWIW, guards really don't want to play for a school that has no size or inside game. That is what makes a good guard thrive, a versatile atmosphere. If you want to shoot and dribble a lot, that is different and fine. But, it is certainly not a recipe for winning basketball.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Look, if you wanted to get on Dan for not going after bigs before, fine. But you might want to take another look at our roster. We've got three that are freshman. This is a tired and no longer relevant criticism. How good are they? Well jury's out on that.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Once more, I'm not talking about centers.
I'm talking about what Jack Kraft used to call,
"Mobile, agile, and hostile forwards".
Guys who can score, rebound, and be relied on.
He had Sly Williams, Marc Upshaw, and Jimmy Wright, who fit the bill.
Hell, even CFL had Daniels, Ulmer, Hazelton, and James,
and Seawright.
You don't need a big when you have a couple of these types on the roster.
a knockdown shooting guard would be a nice change, too.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I have zero issue with our lack of a "big" - people need to get out of 1990s ball. Nova won the tourney last year playing smallish. Hell the celtics look good this year with horford and not much else. My issue is and always will be not have guys on the team who are excellent shooters. Now there has been a massive improvement over the Baron years (jimmy excepted) but we need guys who can knock down shots.

Jeff is a good start, CT should be a good four year player who has that ability, I like Akele for that reason in the long term. So maybe the staff is getting it, if you can't put the ball in the hoop who cares if you are big. You can find guards to rebound.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....not convinced rebounding guards is the way to go.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Tell me about Kentucky two years ago, with a bigger frontline
than most NBA teams.
The big Wisconsin team with Frank the Tank at 7' shooting
3 pointers.
Gonzaga last year with its giant frontcourt.
Villanova won by a point against a UNC team that also was bigger
than most NBA teams. UNC is still huge.
Rebounding guards? Whatever.
Akele, Thompson and Dowtin are your idea of replacing a real frontcourt?
Wow!
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I wonder how many of our bigs will be back. Why would Berry hang around? Laysard? Their years have been wasted. Rambone hinted about something on this thread I think a week or two ago. My gut tells me we are holding out that last scholly for a 5th year or JC big. Where does that leave these guys? Fighting for time behind Langevine with Tertsea? I don't think Berry is that good, but who knows on Laysard? I think Dan wants certain types of players, athletically, and if you don't fit, you don't play.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"I think Dan wants certain types of players, athletically, and if you don't fit, you don't play."
So, who recruited these guys who can't get off the bench?
Pretty poor talent evaluation given all the guys who
came here with fanfare and left without fulfilling any of the hype.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Good question Rod. Maybe he thinks he can get them in shape. Wonder if he'd play the UMass center?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sorry peeps, but this 5 year experiment has been a failure.

There are no prospects for a turnaround....hope all you want.....this coach isn't well liked by officials and coaches alike.....and many other coaches think little of Dan's coaching ability....this isn't just my opinion......many others share this too.....

He is getting trashed on the recruiting trail big time.....can't develop players....can't coach them up.....undisciplined.....make the same mistakes over and over.....he belongs back at Wagner......really cruel shit but it looks to be true.

Rod, it's really sad....but this stuff is coming from many different directions......he needs to go...one more year and that's it.

Oh, by the way, don't ask me to name names.....most here wouldn't recognize them anyway. I'm also not trying to be a shit stirrer, but some things need to be said.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Who is going to pay the buy out to get rid of him next year?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Somehow DH needs to get this program to be the Gonzaga of the East. Looks like that will be too tough to achieve
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am pretty sure we have 1 loss in conference and a lot better record in the non-conference if the guys we had were clutch shooters and could hit FTs. Valpo, Houston, both Dayton games. Would people not be happy with those results????

None of those games looked like we were missing a "big" just looked like we had guys who suck (DHs word on the radio show) at buzzer beaters and can't hit clutch shots, probably because they aren't recruited as guys who shoot the ball at a high level. So yes, I like Jeff, CT and akele as guys I see are good shooters. Sounds like Fatts is a good shooter too. I would like to see someone with an elite shot be recruited To create spacing for guys who are very good shooters when open.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

adam, not sure how much they would owe him...I know if he left for another program URI would be in good shape.....but like has been said....nobody will want him.

Anyway, after this season I would think the calls for him to go will increase.....but it's not likely that he does for a while.....so expect more of the "same old same old"........
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

The elusive stretch 4
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I didn't listen to the show, Dan actually said that? Wow....well he knows they suck in the clutch, and so does everybody else.

Of course, maybe he should work on designing plays to get his players an open shot...and having them execute them for once.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Sorry peeps, but this 5 year experiment has been a failure.

There are no prospects for a turnaround....hope all you want.....this coach isn't well liked by officials and coaches alike.....and many other coaches think little of Dan's coaching ability....this isn't just my opinion......many others share this too.....

He is getting trashed on the recruiting trail big time.....can't develop players....can't coach them up.....undisciplined.....make the same mistakes over and over.....he belongs back at Wagner......really cruel shit but it looks to be true.

Rod, it's really sad....but this stuff is coming from many different directions......he needs to go...one more year and that's it.

Oh, by the way, don't ask me to name names.....most here wouldn't recognize them anyway. I'm also not trying to be a shit stirrer, but some things need to be said.
Rambone,
If they let him go URI would be responsible for the buy out of the entire contract, right? Does that go out to 2022? Does that include all of the incentives that go with the contract too? I'm not very familiar with the contract stuff to be honest.
0 x