Dan Hurley Coach's Show 2016-17

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show

Unread post by TruePoint »

I literally could not care any less or have any less of an opinion about what Jared was or wasn't before he got on campus at URI, nor do I understand why it matters.

The point I was making about Jared and Jerrou is that they are, from a production standpoint, pretty similar as freshman. But to stop there completely ignores the fact that the most exciting thing about Jared was that he showed up with an NBA body and was already a plus defender and seemed likely to become a great defender. Comparing offensive stats between Jared and Jerrou discounts the specific thing that people were excited about with Jared.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, it doesn't matter how good a recruit is before he gets here? Well, that's a new concept.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It doesn't matter AFTER he is here. Of course that's the case. Before he gets here, what else do we have to go on? But if a guy is a Junior, what possible relevance could it have what people thought of the player when he was in high school?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I clearly don't understand your point.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

What TruePoint is saying wouldn't seem to be a controversial point for this board, we had most people saying that about Iverson. "It doesn't matter how he was ranked in high school, look at what he did at Memphis"
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't understand why, when comparing Jared Terrell as a freshman to Dijon Jerrou as a freshman, you would bring up Brewster Academy. For the purposes of that comparison, nothing about what Jared did at Brewster, or what you or anyone else thought about it, is relevant. The only thing that is relevant is Jared at URI compared to Jerrou at UMass.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:What TruePoint is saying wouldn't seem to be a controversial point for this board, we had most people saying that about Iverson. "It doesn't matter how he was ranked in high school, look at what he did at Memphis"
I don't care so much about Terrell's ranking because I saw him play in high school. That's why I was so excited when we got him. I knew how good he was.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

it's DEJON JARREAU !! not jerrou

http://umassathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6987

I wish he was our player. Gonna get real annoying watching him attack our basket for 3 more years. My take and sticking to it.

JT is our best dribble drive player.....by a wide margin.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

First of all, I DO NOT like Kellogg. But there are numerous and consistent comments how bad he is. UMass is in a much different position than URI? I think I would have to argue that one. Kellogg is 20 games over .500 in his tenure and has been to an NCAA and 2 NITs and has a very good group of freshman. So, if nothing else, he can certainly recruits. And with an empty, old gym/arena and is not a "major" team. We did beat them this year, but we haven't actually destroyed his teams either. So, you should probably look in the mirror before you call Kellogg, the Umass program garbage.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

If what a player did in his h.s, prep school, Juco, whatever, doesn't matter, why don't schools simply have a lottery of anyone who wants to play at their school? That sounds feasible.
KI is a very good player, still, even though he has not lived up to a top 25 ranking or had a rough trip at Memphis. Tell Kansas or KY that top 25-50 guys aren't good. Like I say, after some time, KI is a very good player. And for KI's lack of success if you want to say that, there is another 75 guys in the top 100 who have made out pretty good.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gio, you're just misunderstanding my point. It isn't that high school track record and rankings and whatever else don't matter DURING RECRUITING. Of course they do. When we set up the recruiting part of this board, it was in large part to track that stuff. But if you're comparing two guys at the same point in their college career, then their high school rankings don't have anything to do with THAT comparison. That's my whole point. It doesn't seem controversial to me.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:it's DEJON JARREAU !! not jerrou
I know that but he will always be Dijon Jerrou to me.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

TruePoint wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:it's DEJON JARREAU !! not jerrou
I know that but he will always be Dijon Jerrou to me.
When he does his Marc Makin imitation on us you'll be a sorry lad

:)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'd say that Jarreau is a little bit better offensively than Jared was as a freshman.
Jared was a difference maker on Defense and was solid on offense as a freshman.
I'd say freshman JT was better.

Fun fact.
I named my cat Jared Terrell :)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:I'd say that Jarreau is a little bit better offensively than Jared was as a freshman.
Jared was a difference maker on Defense and was solid on offense as a freshman.
I'd say freshman JT was better.

Fun fact.
I named my cat Jared Terrell :)
This is a good post.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

As compared to my bad posts.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Damn Billy. You are my guy. I did not say anything about your posts being bad. "This is a good post" is an internet joke.

Is it ok if you and I just disagree on something every once in a while? I like you. You're a good poster. Today, I wasn't interested in hearing anyone getting out their shine box for freaking UMass. Please do not be offended.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

All is cool.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

This is some funny shi*......
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:This is some funny shi*......
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

So what's the consensus for recruiting going forward? Who do we have lined up that are tall and can walk and chew gum at the same time?

For next season? We have ONE [1] spot to fill. Do we get someone who's tall and can actually make a layup? Do we currently have anybody who's tall and can play a legit 4 or 5 next season?

What about the season after that '18-'19? We will likely have FIVE [5] spots available. Will we recruit and land 5 more PG's and or SG's? Will we get anybody who's tall and any good? Or will other programs' trashing of DH scare them all away? A very legit question imo.

That season's recruiting will decide the legacy of DH if he's still here. So if TP is right and he's here at least THREE [3] more seasons...will that result in a dance invite or two?

Those recruits are going to have to be better than what we have now....and good luck with that....since there also seems to be very legit questions concerning this staff's ability to develop them.

GBG, josephski, and Billyboy...agree with all you've said.

I've seen the future with DH here...and it blows. It's absolutely mind boggling that some people on here think this guy should have 10 more years to dance......and if it's true that URI would have to pay 4 fucking million dollars to get rid of him after next season.....that's makes JB's deal look brilliant by comparison...what a bunch of idiots in this administration.

They really sold their soul believing DH's promises.......just stupid stupid stupid. And now they [and we] are going to pay for it for at least a few more years......if URI extends him again without an NCAAT invite I am done...and a know a lot of people who will join me.

And to add...who give a flying fruit cake about Kellogg? Does that make some feel better that he sucks too? That's UMass' problem...we have our own problem...and that's what matters most to me.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

All I can tell you is that at the end times of Baron, there was unanimous agreement inside and outside and all around the program that if Baron was not removed it could kill basketball at URI. That decision did have to do with lack of NCAA tournaments, but also with the crumbling of the program infrastructure and the flight of the fan base and donors (which, hypothetically, would have led to Baron being fired even if he had gone to the tournament in 2009 all things being equal).

With Dan Hurley, it's Rambone and whoever keeps starring Rambones posts at this point, and basically nobody else. People are frustrated, disappointed, etc., but realistically the program is now healthy for the first time in a while. Everyone wants better results, but you're so close - literally 2 baskets over the course of this season would have us safely in the field - it would be insane to blow that up and start over, and that's without even factoring in the cost of doing so.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sorry TP, it's not just me...maybe I'm the most vocal but there are many others who feel the same way......and it's not just a matter of a shot here and there.....there are systematic issues that go well beyond that.

I realize that DH likely isn't going anywhere for a while....but those who think a couple of points will solve all the recurring game problems aren't looking beneath the surface.....

And these have been discussed and supported by MANY on this board......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

What systemic issues beneath the surface are you referring to?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Do you think that Dan's record in close games is all bad luck? Doesn't almost 5 years of blowing late leads, missing FT's, leaving opponent's shooters wide open, not even getting shots off at the very end of games, you think that's all a coincidence?

That's what I'm referring to.....the same problems in almost every close game, against good teams and bad......

Is it all the players' fault? Of course some of it is....their BB IQ leaves a lot to be desired.....but we've had enough different players here where that shouldn't be a constant recurring issue....yet it is.

The one constant is the coach......these players are being prepared to fail....are they being "coached up?".....doesn't their clear lack of confidence in these situations show up in the results?

How many times does this have to happen to convince you and some others? You yourself have said that this coach might not be the answer...go back and read your own posts on the matter.

You keep saying it'll turn around, just give it time....well we've been waiting and waiting and still no sign of it. I say it won't EVER happen with this coach on a consistent basis.....if you think it will, well just keep on thinking it......until the day he's canned.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wow, after all that discussion about UMASS, Kellogg gets Frosted 96-66 to, of all teams, Duquesne. Kind of like losing to Fordham :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, on another thread I just said that this is a black day for this program.......and I feel bad for all our loyal fans who deserve so much more.....

and especially you.....I feel sad for all of us.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:Wow, after all that discussion about UMASS, Kellogg gets Frosted 96-66 to, of all teams, Duquesne. Kind of like losing to Fordham :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
His team didn't start in the top 25...
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:ramster, on another thread I just said that this is a black day for this program.......and I feel bad for all our loyal fans who deserve so much more.....

Thanks Rambone
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:ramster, on another thread I just said that this is a black day for this program.......and I feel bad for all our loyal fans who deserve so much more.....

I was 'sad' after the Dayton game...because I thought it showed the team was 'good', but just lost a close one.
They sucked so bad tonight...it was disgusting...not worth even getting po'd about, never mind sad....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

I was 'sad' after the Dayton game...because I thought it showed the team was 'good', but just lost a close one.
They sucked so bad tonight...it was disgusting...not worth even getting po'd about, never mind sad....
In a way it makes things simpler and less stressful. Only path is to win the A10 Tournament. You are right 208.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

OK...so...on to Pittsburgh...WHO's WITH US?!?!??!

1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't know how anybody can think we'll beat the Little Sisters of the Poor after tonight.

Think other coaches will pick up on what Neubauer did tonight?

I thought so........
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:OK...so...on to Pittsburgh...WHO's WITH US?!?!??!

Animal House is on tv in an hour, coincidentally.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I don't know how anybody can think we'll beat the Little Sisters of the Poor after tonight.

Think other coaches will pick up on what Neubauer did tonight?

I thought so........
Y'mean...like "show up"?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kellogg needs to go after this meltdown @ Duquesne

As for DH I like him so much more than CFL so I realize he not going anywhere so I will still root for him to succeed cuz I know he is a hard worker
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Misery loves company, reef.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:Wow, after all that discussion about UMASS, Kellogg gets Frosted 96-66 to, of all teams, Duquesne. Kind of like losing to Fordham :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
His team didn't start in the top 25...
So Kellogg gets the tallest midget award
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......tomorrow nite, let's get out to this new venue and support the coach looking to VCU.....Blue Out warm up.....see you there.....Rams, Rams, Rams.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show: TONIGHT @ 6pm - The Trap in East Greenwich

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....went, huge crowd, place full.....how much cause of the show, not sure, got there 20 minutes before show......table wait close to an hour, difficult to hear show.....left and listened to radio in car.....coach copped to something like, better free throw % could have made some difference in game(s) outcomes......CL improvements at the line come from his working on it.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Tonight's show on demand:
http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27675041/

Plus Monday's Coffee With the Coach
http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27669684/
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....last one of the year I guess......anyone going?......interested on what a Coach has to say regarding all things post season.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Where is it tonight?
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Mews.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Is it tonight or tomorrow night?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote:Is it tonight or tomorrow night?
Page 1 has it Monday March 6.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thanks.....I thought I had read it was tomorrow.....I will be there tonight.

Should be a big crowd for this one!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show: TONIGHT 6pm @ The Mews Tavern

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Big and enthusiastic I'd imagine.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show: TONIGHT 6pm @ The Mews Tavern