Dan Hurley Coach's Show 2016-17

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

TruePoint wrote:Dated 12/29
On Twitter?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:Iggy - URI is in the last 8 out in the bracketology that came out today. In the bracketology that was current at the time of the post in question, URI was the #11 seed in the West bracket playing Florida.
He posted his updated bracket on Twitter on 12/27 and that is what I was referencing.

Here is the tweet on last four out/next four out from 12/27:

LAST FOUR IN: Illinois, VCU, Ohio St, Texas A&M. FIRST FOUR OUT: Temple, Wake, TexTech, Nevada. NEXT FOUR OUT: NC State, Marq, Gtown, KState

Rhody wasn't in the list. Guessing he changed his mind before posting on espn today.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Iggy1979 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Dated 12/29
On Twitter?
I don't know. Ask someone who cares about twitter. Bracketology is an ESPN thing on espn.com, and on espn.com URI was in the field when it was posted here that they weren't, and in today's update they are in the next four out and it was posted here that they weren't.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"I don't know. Ask someone who cares about twitter"-TP
So, do you think tRUMP would know?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

URI is not in Trump's Next Four Out!
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Will he build a wall to keep Rhody out of the NCAAs?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Will he build a wall to keep Rhody out of the NCAAs?

Shhh...or else the wall will get 10 feet higher....
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rhody doesn't need a wall, he will trip over a shadow.......
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Joe L doesn't even have them in his last EIGHT OUT this week! He has Dayton and VCU in.
That is because he has us as an 11 seed. Can't be last eight out when you're in!
lol

Reading...it's fundamental!
Everyone is so quick to be miserable it affects ability to read.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:
That is because he has us as an 11 seed. Can't be last eight out when you're in!
lol

Reading...it's fundamental!
Everyone is so quick to be miserable it affects ability to read.
Not everyone, almost everyone
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Go to Joe Lunardi's twitter and look at his tweets from the 27th, VCU and Dayton in...we're not even last eight out.

It's nice to hear Hurley is going to try to give Stan more minutes. I still think that Stan only getting 6 minutes against Valpo was a really poor decision by the coaching staff and probably played a part in us losing.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Update on remaining shows. The Jan 17th show is now at Two Ten Oyster Bar, making 5 of the 6 remaining shows within walking distance from my home. Yay, I may actually make a show this season!

Monday, Jan. 9 - The Mews Tavern, Wakefield
Tuesday, Jan. 17 - Two Ten Oyster Bar, South Kingstown
Thursday, Jan. 26 - The Mews Tavern, Wakefield
Monday, Feb. 13 - The Mews Tavern, Wakefield
Thursday, Feb. 23 - The Trap Restaurant, East Greenwich
Monday, March 6 - The Mews Tavern, Wakefield
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

woo! one i can go to! (Feb 23rd)
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Blue Man wrote:woo! one i can go to! (Feb 23rd)
Why only one? Get your ass to more events Blue Man.. Marriage and dogs are no excuse! :lol:

Sorry, had to.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

You don't even have kids yet!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Lol bowling is Mondays and indoor rugby is Tuesdays
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Soooo tomorrow starts at 6pm? At the Mews? Right? Let's get out and support the program, our guys, and our coach! They need a fanbase that will be constructively critical not just sounding off because we can...
#GoRhody
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let's throw some hard ball questions at DH no softballs !!!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....having gone to the last one, I don't recall an opportunity for questions from fan attendees....there was that at the pre session one at the RC....but I don't recall questions from fans at the 210 one either....maybe just failing memory....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Just shout him down, no worries!!

You can always slam down a note on the table during the broadcast like that crazy guy did a few years ago. Taylor Swift kicked him out of the Mews that night.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I remember that night. He seemed harmless enough at first....but then he started to get loud......

At least he didn't start a fight.....Taylor was all business, that's for sure.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Maybe if people weren't rude about how they ask questions, maybe if people weren't over the top calling for a burning at the stake when we lose a close game by 3, maybe if we didn't act like we don't want Hurley as our coach, maybe just maybe if we got a grip and showed support we'd have this team humming. Kids read stuff. If you're gonna go to the show tonight be excited, supporting and most of all appreciative that when Hurley was a hot name at Wagner he saw URI as a destination to turn us around...
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

NorthernRamFan wrote:Maybe if people weren't rude about how they ask questions, maybe if people weren't over the top calling for a burning at the stake when we lose a close game by 3, maybe if we didn't act like we don't want Hurley as our coach, maybe just maybe if we got a grip and showed support we'd have this team humming. Kids read stuff. If you're gonna go to the show tonight be excited, supporting and most of all appreciative that when Hurley was a hot name at Wagner he saw URI as a destination to turn us around...
Shhhh stop posting rational and sensible things based on reality. There's apparently no place for that here.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When we lose a close game by 3.....or 2.....or 4.........or whenever we play one......

I guess reality means something different for some of us......there's no use arguing over it.....defend the status quo all you want.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

NorthernRamFan wrote:Maybe if people weren't rude about how they ask questions, maybe if people weren't over the top calling for a burning at the stake when we lose a close game by 3, maybe if we didn't act like we don't want Hurley as our coach, maybe just maybe if we got a grip and showed support we'd have this team humming. Kids read stuff. If you're gonna go to the show tonight be excited, supporting and most of all appreciative that when Hurley was a hot name at Wagner he saw URI as a destination to turn us around...
bahahahaha, you heard it here 1st folks...posts on a message board are now the reason for the team looking dysfunctional....not the coach, or the players...

Nice job taking the reaction to the Dayton game 100% out of context, impressively done.

If Hurley had a winning, or even a .500 record the last 2+ season against the RPI top 100, there wouldnt be this reaction
If this was a rare occurrence where a Hurley coached URI team failed to execute late in a close game, rather than being the norm, there wouldnt be this reaction.

he is 0-9 in games against the top100 decided by less than 3 (since 2015)
he is 3-15 in games against the top100 decided by less than 5 (since 2015)
he is 9-24 overall in games against the top100 (since 2015).

So, spare me the 'rah rah, you should be happy' crap
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DPS, some here just don't get it.....that record is pathetic.

They think we'll just roll thru our road schedule like it's nothing......and we should NOT lose to Richmond on the road either.....

but we'll find a way....same for the UMass game at their place.....how can anyone assume we're going to win those games when they are more than likely to be close? Does anyone think St. Joes is going to just roll over for us at their place, where we never win?

It's a flat out refusal to accept reality. Simple as that.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show TONIGHT 6pm @ Mews Tavern

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I was supposed to fly to Colombia today but plans changed.. so now I've got my Uber driver racing back home from Logan so I can make the show tonight :P

I hope to see some of you there!
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Blue Man wrote:
Shhhh stop posting rational and sensible things based on reality. There's apparently no place for that here.

I should've known that rationality wouldn't work in this state BlueMan... most of the people on here must be public officials. Lol

When Baron was asked to pack his bags in Kingston this things looked brighter for about a week and then we became a contaminated swamp land because the cupboard was bare of talent, grade point averages which affected everything from how we were perceived outside of this 45sq mi state... the fact that national stations have made us a priority and have a positive outlook isn't because Dan/Staff is sweet talking people, it's because our program has become relevant. We weren't previously. maybe the perspective needs to be that this was a much bigger job than a 5 year fix. Maybe just maybe we'll all be realistic that this place was a $hat Hole and that's coming from an alum...
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am tuning in now always a fantastic listen
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Monday morning's Coffee with the Coach segment:
http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27595887/
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

I should've known that rationality wouldn't work in this state BlueMan... most of the people on here must be public officials. Lol

When Baron was asked to pack his bags in Kingston this things looked brighter for about a week and then we became a contaminated swamp land because the cupboard was bare of talent, grade point averages which affected everything from how we were perceived outside of this 45sq mi state... the fact that national stations have made us a priority and have a positive outlook isn't because Dan/Staff is sweet talking people, it's because our program has become relevant. We weren't previously. maybe the perspective needs to be that this was a much bigger job than a 5 year fix. Maybe just maybe we'll all be realistic that this place was a $hat Hole and that's coming from an alum...
I wouldn't necessarily disagree. But, why did EC/Hass/JG/JT all commit then? All approaching 3+ years ago now. If we had the last three cycles of recruits first and then those four second, I guess I could see that. The reality is he (or Bobby and Preston) sold a very good core early. If he added 3 or 4 guys as good since, I think beyond out a doubt this team is so talented that coaching deficiencies are not standing between URI and a bid.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GBG, I would really like to see us find a coach that can max out the talent that he has......

Those coaching issues will result in us losing games we shouldn't...even if we do dance. You have to wonder...even with more talent...will it matter? Will Dan micromanage Russell and make him ineffective late in games?

And yes, going forward the overall talent looks like it will be suffering a drop off......other than Cyril who do we currently have, or will have as of now, for a frontcourt?

Looks like we will be playing 4 guards a lot next season......a very unbalanced roster.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think EC and JT are the two outliers in recruiting that back up your POV...At this point its way too early to tell if say someone like Dowtin and Cyril may end up as good or even better than say JG and Hassan. Net net I don't see those two, based on their rankings, as batting above our average from recruiting standpoint. EC and JT, based on rankings you can make that argument since both came in first 2 cycles and seem to be a cut above what we saw in the last 2 classes. JT's situation was unique as a de-commit, and the circumstances surrounding it. EC seems to be a combo of relationship built by Preston and Dan/Bobby closing it. I am not sure there are great proof points though behind the assertion that recruiting took a hit post Preston, look at Ed Cooley -- first 2-3 classes were grand slams, then last 2 were so-so (Edwards, Council, Fazekas, etc)...now this year he looks to have used the success on the court and turned it into tangible recruiting wins (Watson, Dickens). He also lost his main recruiter (Simon).

I actually would look at the assistants in assessing our recruiting success - are guys like Carr, ARD pulling their weight? Cox seems to be the lead dog on most of our recruiting lately.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rambone, we have two legit 1st year bigs - Layssard and Tertsea - that are still unknowns. It is not uncommon for bigs to go from obscurity, no playing time to major players in 2-3 years, they develop slower and especially bigs that fall to the A-10 they generally require development time to become contributors. Look at Rasheen Holloway 2 years ago vs now as proof point. Countless other examples. It's too early to know what we have in either of them, but Tertsea has a 7'5" wing span at a legit 6'10" and Layssard was a scoring PF with the ability to stretch the defense in high school.
3 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

No evidence to support but I have a hunch Tertsea will be better than anyone here expects.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Someone who knows the league compared him to Yassou N'doye - big Senegali kid who was at Bonnies a few years ago.
FWIW, N'doye freshman year stats - 2ppg, 2 rpg, 8 minutes per game. Senior year 12ppg, 10 rpg, 3 bpg.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's possible both ways...BAR.....they could develop into decent to good contributors down the road.....or they might not.

4 or 5 star bigs coming out of high or prep school don't usually come to the A10 for sure. It's a crapshoot with 3 star recruits really.

So how the staff develops them is huge.....hopefully they are capable of solid improvement.

The A10 is full of athletes...but high BB IQ types are few and far between.....that's what separates a lot of the 3 stars from the 4's and 5's.

Our team needs more high IQ guys, evidently.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily disagree. But, why did EC/Hass/JG/JT all commit then? All approaching 3+ years ago now. If we had the last three cycles of recruits first and then those four second, I guess I could see that. The reality is he (or Bobby and Preston) sold a very good core early. If he added 3 or 4 guys as good since, I think beyond out a doubt this team is so talented that coaching deficiencies are not standing between URI and a bid.
What you're saying is literally the exact opposite of how things have worked. He sold those first recruits on significant immediate playing time because there was no core blocking them. He doesn't have playing time as a carrot for recruiting anymore.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:

What you're saying is literally the exact opposite of how things have worked. He sold those first recruits on significant immediate playing time because there was no core blocking them. He doesn't have playing time as a carrot for recruiting anymore.
There is no carrot for a stud big or PG? We disagree.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We always need more and better talent....if the incoming talent takes minutes away from the players already here...oh well...that's the nature of the business.....aren't they always trying to get better?

It's become evident here that some guys haven't performed to the level that was hoped.....if you want to blame the players and not the coach.....

It happens.....Jarvis for example has been a good PG for us....but maybe we need better......Dan might have to recruit better....it's a lot of things.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I am guessing by "stud big" you mean a 4 star player at least....and a PF or C. With that definition can you tell me the last Stud big man to enter the A10?
PG I will give you, there are lots out there.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

I think we've already gotten better. Russell was a great get for Hurley and staff, possibly an upgrade to Garrett come his sophomore year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

thatRamBand wrote:I think we've already gotten better. Russell was a great get for Hurley and staff, possibly an upgrade to Garrett come his sophomore year.
I've seen some people here criticize Jarvis saying he's a liability because he's too small. Guess what? Fatts is smaller.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....is Fatts quicker?.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

I have zero issues with Jarvis' size and think he's a great player. Not slighting him by any means.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

thatRamBand wrote:I have zero issues with Jarvis' size and think he's a great player. Not slighting him by any means.
Calling him a "great" player this year is just false. He's been an average player, at best, this year.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

JG has had his ups and downs......but he's not a clutch player......
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote:I am guessing by "stud big" you mean a 4 star player at least....and a PF or C. With that definition can you tell me the last Stud big man to enter the A10?
PG I will give you, there are lots out there.
Focused on Top 100 rankings

2018 - St. Louis (Carte'Are Gordon) 5-star
2017 - VCU (Mayan Kiir) 4-star
2016 - None
2015 - None
2014 - VCU (Mike Gilmore & Justin Tillman) 4-star
2013 - None
2012 - None
2011 - None
2010 - None
2009 - LaSalle (Aaric Murray) 4-star
2008 - Xavier (Kenny Frease) 4-star