Official Conference Realignment Thread

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Official Conference Realignment Thread

Unread post by Kingston »

Does this make the A 10 ruler of the east. Temple going to be kicking themselves. Horrible football and now basketball. RIP Big East
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: Maryland, Rutgers to big ten Uconn to ACC

Unread post by twisted3829 »

source say they are looking into it, nothing official
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Got info from Katyz on espn sorry if I made it sound like a done deal. Just nice to see the Big East have trouble after playing second fiddle to them all these years.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The video isn't completely done yet, but it should be up within 15 to 30 minutes. They actually asked Motta to comment about it, and he was pretty funny. It comes at the end of the fourth video: http://patch.com/A-zBz7
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

was that you that asked it when he said what conference are they in now?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

No way Maryland moves to the Big10, absolutely no way!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There's 50 million reasons why Maryland probably won't move to the B10.

As in moolah, the fee to leave the ACC. Only way it happens is they make a deal somehow, which of course is always possible.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

twisted3829 wrote:was that you that asked it when he said what conference are they in now?
I didn't ask any questions, no. Typically, if I'm recording, it's tough for me to ask questions, because the camera jumps around and my audio is so much louder than the coach's, making the normalizing odd. I hate using the tripod I have, since it means I have to carry another god damn bag into a place, and my laptop bag is plenty enough for me.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I dont like this move for Maryland
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I think the move for Maryland is a great move...what I don't understand is why the big 10 wants them
0 x
Clapton is God
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

This is official as of this morning. (At least the Maryland part). Rutgers is assumed to be the next team. UConn has not yet been contacted but it is widely thought that they would be the replacement for the Terps with alternative being Louisville.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

wow Rhody72 was wrong, no f-in way!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

That would be the death of the Big East, certainly the beginning of it. Football they'd have Boise State and TCU. I can see a TV contract for football basically be pulled after that.

Basketball would become a weaker conference than the A-10. You'd have 4 "elite" teams in Georgetown, "Nova, Marquette, Louisville. Not much else.

Plus think of how much harder it'd be to recruit to the conference when it looks like it's about to fall off a cliff (if it hasn't already).
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

And Louisville would jump to a football conference seeing they have a top 25 football team, or did up to this week.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Projo's Kevin McNamara spoke about these latest developments in his Monday college basketball roundup piece:
http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... wheel.html

He also spoke about how the Big EAST is already shut out of elite conference moneya week or so ago, and today's news solidifies it. Not sure what the "leftovers" of the "big" east are going to do without top level BCS money.

So glad to be in a strong A10 right now!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Another stake in the heart for the BE. UConn is itching to join the ACC, and I would think Louisville now wants out too, maybe to the SEC?

Looks like the BE is going to end up as an all Catholic conference [in BB] after all!

But not the way they envisioned it, that's for sure!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Agree with Rambone.
I think Georgetown, PC, Temple, Depaul, Marquette, Seton Hall, and a couple of other Catholic schools make a strong basketball, non football conference.
Don't know if Temple stays, either.
What a mess, with all these re-alignments, spurred by the almighty dollar.
I hope Thorr is paying close attention.
I'm sure Big East will try to grab St. Joe's and Xavier, if it goes to a Catholic conference.
The conference musical chairs continues, unabated.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Another stake in the heart for the BE. UConn is itching to join the ACC, and I would think Louisville now wants out too, maybe to the SEC?
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Will Temple opt to stay in the A10?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

if Uconn leaves its all over for the Big East. our league better pro-fense against Xavier and St Joe's being enticed to join an all catholic hoops league.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

louisville wants out too
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Problem with Temple is football.
They seem to think they can compete in a BCS league.
The insanity of SMU, Houston, Boise State and others in The Big East,
speaks to the desperation of schools and the league.
Agree 100% BAR. The arrival of Butler and VCU, may keep them in.
St. Louis could leave for a Catholic league, too.
Not sure if BE would want Bonaventure, Duquesne or Lasalle.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Temple is in a tough spot. They projected a certain (large) amount of "BCS" money by moving to the Big East, but now the Big East is not considered a top 5 conference and will not get anywhere near the level of TV money they once did.

Just hope that Dan Hurley's Rhode Island program explodes and makes URI a must-have in the A10. I would guess it would, as it matches up nicely much more so than a Duquesne or Fordham would.

Maybe A10 can grab the Shockers of Wichita St and the Bluejays of Creighton, strengthening its position in the Central time zone and further helping balance the geographical footprint, much to the approval of SLU, X, Dayton, etc.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If they do that, a 2 division format would be good,
with only one game played with the Western Division teams on
a home and home basis in alternating years.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote:if Uconn leaves its all over for the Big East. our league better pro-fense against Xavier and St Joe's being enticed to join an all catholic hoops league.
What's the pull of the Big East at that point? You'd be joining a conference rife with insecurity, and diminishing TV contracts.

X and St. Joes don't do football, so there's no reason to jump for that. By the time the dust settles, the A-10 will be a more powerful basketball conference, more marketable, and probably take in more money. Plus Cincy won't want X in, and there's no way Temple or 'Nova want another Philly school in the conference.

I think the question we ask is which lower tier BE basketball-only schools come to the A-10? (PC, Seton Hall, Depaul)
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

i say shut PC out :) I think the A10 goes to 16 permanently by either taking temple back and adding 1 more or adding 2 others
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The prize Catholic schools in the A-10 are Xavier and Dayton.....attendance, fan support, television markets....

VCU and Butler are non-Catholic...

St. Louis without Majerus is a question mark and they already hate the fact they have to travel so much to the East...

St. Joe shares Philly with Temple and Villanova and brings nothing to the table...

Does Villanova try to upgrade in Football...it's their only hope of moving to the ACC if that is their goal...

Does the ACC accept non-football schools like Georgetown, Villanova and Providence ??

The real question for me is what do Xavier and Dayton do....do they stay in the A-10 ? They can make this conference by staying...because if they don't join Georgetown, Villanova, DePaul and Marquette what Catholic schools do.....no one with any cache...

The A-10, perhaps with DePaul and Marquette added for mid-west demographics would become the pre-eminent basketball only conference.

I see UConn, Louisville and Cincinnati leaving for better homes for their football programs...I don't see them in the Big East.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

i don't think a catholic league will happen especially with Notre Dame going to the ACC they will not leave the ACC to move again
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I can see Depaul and Creighton to the A10. Not so sure about Marquette. What a REALLY nice BB conference we will have.

Could you imagine if the BE totally collapses, and say, Seton Hall and PC want in?

Who would have thought this a couple of years ago?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PC coming to the A10 would be absolutely hilarious. I doubt it ever happens, but man would it be so funny.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Keaney.Blue wrote:Will Temple opt to stay in the A10?
It certainly looks like that would make more sense. We're basically seeing the dissolving of the Big East in front of our eyes.

When you bring in a diminished football product with only a handful of schools, the money Temple thought would be there won't be there. Plus, they're going to wind up in the Big East - West, which means they'd be travelling to SMU, TCU, Houston, Boise State.

Who knows, maybe the pull a Rhody Football and opt for a last-second change of plans. Maybe we could add another BE defect too :-D
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'd love to see a few more schools like Creighton, Wichita St. (that used to be a power when I was in Kansas many years ago), DePaul or Marquette join to solidify a western division of our conference. St Louis would probably like that. Their complaint a few years ago was with the travel, not the conference.
I don't want the eastern, non-football BE teams.
I would really be surprised if the ACC would want a non-football school.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

twisted3829 wrote:i say shut PC out :) I think the A10 goes to 16 permanently by either taking temple back and adding 1 more or adding 2 others
I believe the A-10 will have 15 after this season when Temple leaves. They'll only need to add one more to make it to 16. But who knows what happens between now and then in terms of conference musical chairs.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SmartyBarrett wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:i say shut PC out :) I think the A10 goes to 16 permanently by either taking temple back and adding 1 more or adding 2 others
I believe the A-10 will have 15 after this season when Temple leaves. They'll only need to add one more to make it to 16. But who knows what happens between now and then in terms of conference musical chairs.
14 because Charlotte is leaving as well.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

you guys are smoking crack if you think the A-10 is stronger than the BE; even without Rutgers and UCONN; BE wouold have L'Ville(for now) G'town, Nova, Memphis, Cincy, SJU. strong markets, strong teams.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Cincy is said to be looking for a better football conference, same
with Louisville.
I'll put Bulter, Xavier, Dayton, and VCU against Nova, GTown, St John's
and Memphis.
You forgot Marquette, which is a fine program.
Can't see Memphis sticking around if Louisville and Cincy leave, as they all play football.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

seanmc94 wrote:you guys are smoking crack if you think the A-10 is stronger than the BE; even without Rutgers and UCONN; BE wouold have L'Ville(for now) G'town, Nova, Memphis, Cincy, SJU. strong markets, strong teams.
I highlighted the important part of your post in bold, Sean. I don't think any informed fan would attempt to argue that the A10 is stronger than the BE at this very moment, but it's in a much stronger position to add pieces during this conference realignment. Things are changing rapidly who knows what's next.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The biggest part of the A10 vs Future Big East basketball pissing match is not going to be the top of the league. Both tops of conferences are quality programs with histories, some more or less relevant to today. what will determine which conference is better is the bottom part. as much as it sticks in my throat, PC and SH are better teams then Fordham and Duquense
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:
I had heard that - didn't know it was a definite. The WAC looks like it could become obsolete too - so crazy.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Boise State, San Diego State and BYU now talking about rejoining the MWC
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

Blue Man wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:
...Quite possibly 13...UMass has been said to be wanting to move up for football. Big East could make sense for them. That would open up potentially three slots for mid-west, non-football programs to bring us to a balanced divisional setup with Duquesne playing in the west.
0 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

twisted3829 wrote:Boise State, San Diego State and BYU now talking about rejoining the MWC
My head hurts!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

that is just them backing out of the big east move they were making before
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Smart move that will never happen would be fir the A-10 and BE BB schools to form a regional conference.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

ramsman75 wrote:UMass has been said to be wanting to move up for football.
This would be crazy for them, at least at this juncture. Their football program is over their head in the MAC!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'm not even trying to keep up at this point. For assorted reasons, my first favorite college basketball team was Seton Hall, and I think a part of my brain is still back there when the BE was pretty much SHU, BC, Syracuse, Providence, Villanova, Georgetown, UCONN, St John's, Pitt, maybe Miami.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Just think, Pitt, Villanova, VATech and West Virginia were once part of what is now the A-10, FKA Eastern 8.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Don"t see conferences combining we just signed a contract to play in Brooklyn I assume getting out of it would be tough.
Could see two things
Acc going to two divisions a bb only and taking Georgetown St. John and nova that gives the three huge markets and then they could have their tournament in the garden. This could leave PC in a tough place one because how do they leave the big east when they practically invented it and uconn and bc may not let them in,
However if this does happen I see Xavier going to the acc as a basketball only school to get the Cincinnati market.

If this were to happen I think the a 10 should go to two divisions and add Cleveland state Detroit Marquette or u of Milwaukee Bradley or DePaul crieghton southern ill. And Witch. state, all or any combo

Still leaves the A10 strong and makes travel for the schools in non revenue sports acceptable
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Maybe someone will add Canisius.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm shocked by the Maryland announcement I'm hearing they will GET $100M from the Big10 for joining and will owe the ACC $50M for leaving. I know several Maryland alums who are financial supporters of the athletic program - they are furious - the ACC rivalries are indelible memories which they support for themselves and future generations. They are are screaming to the Board of Trustees. One said he is more upset with UMD than PSU alums are over the Sandusky scandal because the latter only involved several misguided employees. This is institutional malfeasance. Big10 football revenue seduces schools. The ACC lags as a football conference. Maryland recently announced cutting several intercollegiate sports.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!