Am I The Only One Ecstatic Right Now?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Am I The Only One Ecstatic Right Now?

Unread post by Blue Man »

So we're 0-2 right now, big deal. Our biggest, glaring problem? Shooting. I couldn't be happier about it.

We've shot atrocious these first 2 games. Averaging 30% from the field. Awful. But you know what? I love it.

I've seen only a handful of bad shots taken these first couple games (with the exception of desperation final minutes), and the good shots we're taking just aren't falling.

You can't honestly believe we're going to shoot 4.8% from 3 every night. And even if we do...I couldn't care less. I've seen actual, organized basketball played in Kingston for the first time since I hit puberty.

Everyone is hustling. Everyone is playing D. Everyone is playing smart..and if they make a mistake...THERE'S COACHES ACTUALLY COACHING. In the time outs, on the floor, taking notes, making adjustments, calling time outs, calling plays - the future is bright and we're 2 games into a complete remodel of our basketball program.

We are so lucky to have who we have on the sidelines, and can you imagine what we're going to do with a monsterous frontcourt next year? Biruta and If, Hare and Aaman with a whole season and offseason training under their belts? Riechelle, Martin, Minnis, Mathews?

We could go 0-29 this year, and I'll be hurting, but I'll be giddy knowing what we've got ahead.

But still, it's 2 games into a complete overhaul of the program. Lets take a step off the bridge please
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Re: Am I The Only One Ecstatic Right Now?

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Blue Man AMEN!
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Ryan Rowdy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ryan Rowdy »

Exactly! It will take a lot this year for me to walk away upset after a loss. Our prospects are great, and everyone knew this was going to be a tough go.

It's a brand new day, even if there are some clouds at first.
0 x
What Would Jon Clark Do?
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

I'm not sure that I'd use the word "ecstatic" to describe the performances in the first 2 games. Having said that, your larger point is well taken. I agree that in many ways, you can see where things will eventually be much better.

In terms of wins & losses, I chalked this season up as a lost one, anyway.

It's all about continuing to recruit, setting up a system and foundation, and figuring out who's salvageable amongst the returning players. Plus, they have a cool new locker room. As Jim Baron would have said, "We'uh workin' on the IN-fra-struck-shuh."

I can wait a year through this. At least I see light at the end of the tunnel. i never felt that the entire time that Jim B was the coach.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Here's what disappointed me last night: the shortest player on the team continually driving into the lane and having his shot blocked. I thought we'd seen the last of that with the coaching change.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I agree with Blue Man.
As I said after the CG game, this team is doing
exactly what I'd hoped they'd do.
Hustle for 40 minutes, play great defense, and have an offensive system.
Check on all counts.
Hurley can't make up for lack of manpower and size, or poor shooting.
You can't play the ideal post pass to facilitate passes to open shooters, when
you have no post player. If Onyekaba gets eligible, we could see that, too.
You can see the results of the coaching the kids are getting.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Welcome back, Ben!

Agreed that I can't be upset after these losses. There's just too much positive elsewhere on the court and around the program. From the coaching staff, to the recruits, to the new locker room, to the SADC. Things are coming together.

Also, I believe they'll enjoy the roll of spoiler as the season progresses. They may actually beat a top 25 team. Heck, PC managed to do so while they were rebuilding under Cooley. The good news is that they can lose every game in November and December and that doesn't hurt their chances at getting to Brooklyn. I don't think they'll make it, but I know they're learning from these losses and the Hurley's make sure they improve with each game.

These losses are time well spent - a worthwhile investment.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I think I would call it encouraged then ecstatic
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If anybody is ecstatic about this current team at the moment something's wrong. We're not talking about the future right now, we're dealing with this team and this season. Granted, our outlook is bright, but nobody should be ecstatic about this team right now.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote:If anybody is ecstatic about this current team at the moment something's wrong. We're not talking about the future right now, we're dealing with this team and this season. Granted, our outlook is bright, but nobody should be ecstatic about this team right now.
I honestly don't care about our shooting %, wins/losses, etc right now. That's not the goal this season. This season's goal was to build a foundation for a great future. To see actual basketball played, to see intensity, to see effort, to see player and coach development. No one wants to live in a foundation alone, that's why you have to build a whole house.

This season was lost to me before it began. Compared to what I've seen from this team in the past 2 years, yes, I'm ecstatic. It's ok if I'm the only one :-D
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

I'm with Blue Man.

Anyone who's freaking out over statistical data and won/loss records this year (especially this early) needs a reality check. Jim Baron left the cupboard less than full. Regardless of the coach, there should not be high expectations thrown on this roster. The fact thatYou have a new coaching staff implementing entirely new systems and philosophies complicates it further. It's DEFINITELY about laying a foundation and looking to next year and beyond.

Relax, people.
0 x
RamInLA
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RamInLA »

I like the enthusiasm Blue Man, and I'm with you on most of what you're saying. I wouldn't say I would be happy if we went 0-29 though, to me that would say the team isn't improving.

Yes, this season being a success should be weighed on hustle, defensive effort, playing smart, etc. However, I would also argue that improvement in Munford, Aaman, and especially Hare needs to be a big part of judging this season as a success. Now, I know it's pretty obvious that you also want to see these things and that you're exaggerating a bit, but is it possible for these guys to improve like we're hoping and us go 0-29? I don't see that. No one is expecting us to have that record I know, but let's be honest, no one should be "ecstatic" if we played hard and smart all year and we went winless.

Even getting to Brooklyn would be a pleasant surprise for almost all of us, but we have to have SOME kind of expectation on W-L, because that indirectly indicates the improvement of the players who will see floor time next year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

not only is it instilling a new system and culture into the program, its doing so with an empty cupboard given we lost basically everyone from last year

at least Cooley had a stud PG to start to rebuild around, and in the meantime maintain some semblance of competitive basketball. we lost an entire lineup from a team that only won 7 games, so how could anyone expect us to get out of the gates with immediate tangible success. look at the little things, you should see signs that point to a bright future in kingston. if we had Holton and Billy this year we would be competitive, without them and the overall lack of depth, and no big men, and no prolific outside shooting means we are going to be scratching and clawing all season.
0 x
jro44
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jro44 »

I don't think losing everyone from last year is a bad thing....there wasn't much there last year.

Encouraged going forward but 2 games either way is still a small sampling.

I agree that they can't shoot much worse, but the question is can they shoot much better. Maybe there just isn't the best talent yet?

Give the system time to get going and I'd say give it at least 4-5 games into the conference game until commenting on whether this is really encouraging or not.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i am not saying losing everyone from last year is a bad thing, just stating it as a fact of the matter that is another obstacle in rebuilding for long term while trying to remain competitive in the short term. quite a challenge for the new staff, but brighter days ahead in kingston. gil biruta will make us forget all about our lack of inside presence by this time next year. he is going to go beast mode on the A10.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

While I agree the future is bright and I'm trying to be patient, the thought of watching ugly basketball all year in the RC is a little depressing. I picked URI to win 12 games and I'm now thinking there's no way that will happen. At least last year it was ignorance is bliss -- we all thought the team would be good. This year it's like going in for a root canal and you've had one before so you know how bad it's going to be.

Rod: I hope the Big O is not found eligible so there's no temptation to play him this year since this year will be such a wasted season. Would rather have four years of him starting next season.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Right now, Big O is learning from the coaching staff, and Biruta, how to be an athletic big man. I'm fine with him making his debut next season.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm going on the idea that Hurley can recruit whatever he needs
after next season.
I want Onyekaba to play, to give the program a boost.
He won't be the last bigman Hurley brings in.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'm pleased with the team's overall performance as well. They're also averaging fewer turnovers...only 9 per game as opposed to 14.5 last year and approx. 12 the year before. They're averaging fewer assists right now as well, but I believe keeping the turnovers down is more important. As the people at the point guard position become more comfortable with the Hurley's system, expectations and style of play, the assists will come....most likely increasing as the year goes on and players become more comfortable with each other. Malone didn't see much playing time last year. Hare is new. Aaman is new. Bigby is new. Munford is new. It's going to take Mike Powell a good amount of time to learn these player's tendencies, as well as the best ways to get them the ball under the Hurley's system.
This team is going to struggle mightily in the first half of the season. It would not surprise me if this team goes 1-4 to start the season.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Good point Dude. Also, as one of the announcers noted last night, its hard to get many assists when your team is shooting 28% and making about 15 FG's. The assist obviously only counts when your teammates make the shot. The low turnovers is a good sign so far for sure.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just want to see progress this yr and the kids playing hard and i know we will

We will struggle with wins but I am more excited about this program since 99
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote:I just want to see progress this yr and the kids playing hard and i know we will

We will struggle with wins but I am more excited about this program since 99
I think we've already seen progress. Certainly leaps and bounds of where we were at any point in the last 3 years.

When the shots start to fall (because I don't believe any group of D-1 or even D-2 players could shoot this bad consistently), the W/L record will reflect that.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I am pleased with the progress.

I might add that this team is going to take some beatings over the next month, but they will win a few in the conference.

It's good for them. Builds character. ;)
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I am certainly excited with the intensity we are seeing. We were in both of our first 2 games and a few bounces of the ball and we win. I think our team learns how to win with what we have. Teams don't have to be juggernauts in order to win games. Our newcomers are just settling in and we are starting to Gel. I personally like when Powell is off the court and we have the 3M's and 2 of our big guys brooks/aaman/hare.

We are missing some things on this team but I think we also have a lot of things that other teams would be happy to have. Our new recruits will probably be better than what we have in some of our guys, but other guys on our roster were highly recruited. It has to happen on the court, recruiting cant be the answer to everything. Its not like we are a blue-blood school that can grab a trio of NBA prospects every summer. So I look forward to the instate games. I would like to sweep the state and bury Brown. Also begin to have a home court advantage again.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Speaking of instate games, the doctor told Council he would be out 4 or 5 weeks, so it's likely he will miss the game against us on Dec. 6th.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That means PC will be down to 6 players, I think.
Sean can probably verify this.
They destroyed Bryant. Hasn't Tim O'Shea done a stellar job?
He took a D-2 program that went to the NCAA D-2 Final game under
Max Good, and failed to make the transition to D-1 any sort of success.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

People need to have realistic expectations. It seems many here thought the addition of the Hurleys alone would immediately make a bad team better. They are not miracle workers. There is not much talent on this current team. John Wooden himself would not be able to do much with this bunch. This is (and always was) a lost season and what is happening should not be a surprise. The people that are so disappointed and surprised have no one to blame but themselves. They set themselves up for it.
0 x
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

Bigapple, I agree with your thoughts above.

Iggy, am I understanding this right...? You had patience last year (and for Baron, in general). Yet, you have none for this team? I'm scratching my head over that one.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Number 8 rated non-BCS school recruiting class, and not done yet!
Watch the troll and the CFL worshippers with the putdowns.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

With today's LOI news, I am ecstatic!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I can hear Greg Gumble say it now on the CBS selection show and the 10 seed in the 2015 NCAA tourny are the Rams from Rhode Island !!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am not at all ecstatic about this season. I am however ecstatic about the near future prospects after this season given the signings yesterday, new transfers eligble next year, and other changes brought about with the hiring of the Hurleys.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Ecstatic is a bit over the top. But I'm encouraged already and expect to see improvement throughout the season. I like the hustle and energy and hope things fall into place. Hurley was left with little and has a clean slate for the next year or two.
0 x