We need a point guard.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

We need a point guard.

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Point blank.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: We need a point guard.

Unread post by adam914 »

We'll have two new ones next season, Minnis and Matthews.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Will be a HUGE upgrade over Powell.

College BB teams are only as good as their guards. We should know.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

More than a PG, we need an outside shooter.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

agree, not sure powell cant be it but he needs to hit open 3s

other guys have to hit shots as well though, we are getting nothing out of malone

dont even bother talking about inside, we have zero. we threw it in the paint i think 1 time that entire half, to aaman who quickly kicked it out. its not possible to win without the ball ever going in the paint where the closest shots are made.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Wow...one year under Baron where Powell probably didn't get the best coaching at the point guard position and people already want to get oust the kid from the point guard position. He's just a sophomore. Practically a freshman again if you count this year as being the only one with quality coaching.
That's funny. Wait...lets get rid of Hurley at the end of this season as well, since they're already projected to have a lack luster season by so many....including the A10 preseason projections. One bad year...got to go, right?? (rhetorical)
I'm not saying that Powell is the next D. Rose or anything, but I for one am willing to give the kid a decent shot at developing before calling for his head.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Powell isn't necessarily a bad player, his biggest problem is his height
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Lots of shots blocked or that driving down low and getting stopped, with no place to go.
There a plenty of small PGs, who make it work.
He's the guy the Hurleys have worked on the most.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, he just doesn't seem to have the BB IQ needed for the position, but that's nothing new for players recruited by the previous coach. Of course he doesn't have much help either, there's just no one there to help down low.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Powell is a converted two guard. Sometimes it works, but most point guards are born, not made.
Our inside game in non existent.
That's why other teams will be able to move out and
extend their defenses, to negate Nik and Malone.
I think the only guy on this team who can create his own shot is Munford.
The guy is so smooth, and can make his own space and get his shot off or go by people
on drives.
Not to be a broken record, we need to got Onyekaba eligible.
God help us when we play a team with a huge frontcourt.
0 x
rhodyRams08
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyRams08 »

Holy Christ here we go...second game of the season and you r already ready to get rid of this kid.....should I start the Need A New Head Coach thread or should I just wait until Sunday night.??? Pathetic.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Do whatever you want.
Some of us have been around long enough to know what a good point guard looks like.
This isn't anything new.
So, you equate a poor PG performance with the coach being lousy? Wow!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I really hope EC Matthews comes out of the gate next year scoring 15 and dishing out 8 assists in each of his first two games, or this place is going to catch on fire. Geez.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

twisted3829 wrote:Powell isn't necessarily a bad player, his biggest problem is his height
He's not a bad player, but he's miscast as a point guard, which really isn't breaking new ground.

I would say you can be a really good point in college being sub-6'. His biggest problem is that his decision-making is substandard. I don't know if it's because he's getting coaching for the first time or if it's because he just can't handle the point for more than a few minutes a game.

In any event, he's not helping us out there.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodyRams08 wrote:Holy Christ here we go...second game of the season and you r already ready to get rid of this kid.....should I start the Need A New Head Coach thread or should I just wait until Sunday night.??? Pathetic.
Obviously we can't get rid of him. It's either Powell or Youncofski. Listen, there are tons of problems with this team. Not having a true point guard is one of them. Red Auerbach could be coaching this team and they wouldn't win many games. It's hard to be patient, but we have no choice. Expectations were low to begin with. Let's just hope we see some improvement as the season goes on. I'm watching the progress of 3 guys, Hare, Aaman and Munford. These are the only 3 guys who have a chance of seeing significant minutes next year, with Munford being the only one who is assured of that. The two big frosh need to develop. I believe that is the key to this season and the future as well.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i also said that after TJ was in the game playing and the team was playing well at that point and then when Powell came in the lead ballooned again
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Powell is also a liability defensively when playing against a talented point guard who is 6 inches bigger than he is (Powell is NOT 5'11").
0 x
rhodyRams08
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyRams08 »

Give the kid a chance. He is finally receiving the coaching he never had last year. Although come Sunday (if) we go 0-2 at Mohegan I am sure Rod and others will be calling for Hurleys head.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

On the bright side, it only took us two games to figure out who we are going to blame this season on.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyRams08 wrote:Give the kid a chance. He is finally receiving the coaching he never had last year. Although come Sunday (if) we go 0-2 at Mohegan I am sure Rod and others will be calling for Hurleys head.
I don't think anyone realistically expects them to win a game at the Mohegan. In fact, looking at the schedule, an 0-8 start is a good bet. Like I said, it's hard to be patient, but we have no choice. There just aren't going to be a lot of Ws this year. I predicted 9. I'd be thrilled with that.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Cut the bullshit!
I don't equate a leftover CFL player, with one of the best young coaches in the game.
I know what we have sitting out and coming in as recruits. Only a moron would try to judge anything
the Hurleys do on this season. I only predicted 9 wins. We may not get to that
We knew this was going to be a rough season, in theory, but seeing the prophesy unfold, is not a pretty sight.
Powell will get all the chances in the world, and likey play the most minutes on the team, especially if TJ is out.
It's not up to any of us to determine if he fits into the program.
It all up to him and what he does on the floor for the season.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We need Powell, Andre, Nik and Munford all hot in the same game, then we will start winning or keeping gms close
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The difference in last nights game was VT hit their open 3s. I was pleased watching the team work to create open looks but nothing was dropping. Then VT grabbed the momentum at the end of the 1st half and ran with it. I thought Powell played better than last year for most of the game. He is what he is at point and he can be serviceable with guys around him making shots.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Just get through this year! Just get through this year! As Rick Pitino said many years ago: "The negativity around here sucks." We all knew this year was going to be a struggle. Baron's players aren't going to cut it with this new style and coaching. Two totally different animals. The players Baron had were not that good period. The kids are working hard and giving everythign they have. let's try to remember that this year. Will the results suck sometimes, yes but not the effort.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

I agree that everyone needs to relax. As mentioned earlier, at least the team looks like they're playing hard and with a purpose. You can already tell that the coaching is much better this year.

What would this exact cast of characters do if Baron were still here?

You won't see what the Hurleys can really do until more of the players that they've recruited are able to play.

Patience.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I really don't think Powell has played bad running the point, yes he's forced it a few times but so has everyone else, the offense has been really sputtering. There's plenty of small point guards who have had great college careers, yes his size hurts him on defense but his real problem is he doesn't make up for it with his quickness, he doesn't pressure the ball well or get alot steals. I think he can improve there, I'm not sure if he'll ever be able to make consistent jump shot however. He's so streaky, he doesn't just miss, he misses badly. As often as he gets blocked, he's still a better finisher around the basket than he is a shooter. Hurley has consistently stressed player development and Matthews will be a converted 2-guard too, but ultimately I think the thing that keeps Powell's ceiling low will be his shooting.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

BFC: He was 1-12 shooting. He had numerous shots blocked. The guy he was covering was Va Tech's leading scorer as Powell kept sagging into the lane and leaving his man open. He didn't turn the ball over, I'll give him that, otherwise it was Powell's worst game as a Ram.
If he plays anything like this the rest of the year, he doesn't get into a game next season.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Munford was 3 for 19 in Game 1, Nik had numerous shots blocked yesterday. If we're going to beat up every player who has a bad game this year, we'll be very busy. I understand questioning his role beyond this season but given the team-wide talent, skill, and experience level this year, singling him out is unfair at this point.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote:BFC: He was 1-12 shooting. He had numerous shots blocked. The guy he was covering was Va Tech's leading scorer as Powell kept sagging into the lane and leaving his man open. He didn't turn the ball over, I'll give him that, otherwise it was Powell's worst game as a Ram.
If he plays anything like this the rest of the year, he doesn't get into a game next season.
To be honest, idk how much he plays at the point next season. 2 stud PGs coming in, or at the very least 1 if EC plays the 2. Either way, I don't think we blow up on the kid 2 games into a brand new season, coach, system.

We knew we were going to have problems this year, we knew we weren't going to be the most talented. He's young, he'll learn.

A lot of guard (everywhere) depth next year: 1 (Minnis, Mathews, Powell, TJ) 2 (Munford, Mathews, Martin, Bigby) 3 (Reichelle, Martin, Bigby) 4 (Hare, Aaman, If) 5 (Biruta, Hare, Aaman, If)
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Once more for the thousanth time!
EC MATTHEWS CAME TO URI TO PLAY POINT GUARD!
He passed on offers from big name schools because he was guaranteed that.
The only reason he played 2 in high school, is the PG is even higher rated than Matthews.
This kid is a huge talent, and you don't mess with him, by playing him
in a different position than he was promised by Hurley.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Powell, despite some of the struggles offensively around him, has not forced too much resulting in turnovers. He has just ONE turnover in the first two games @ 36min/game. Compare against first two games last year where he had 5 turnovers in each of those games against similar competition. The focus for him has been to protect the ball, and he's doing that. I think he needs continued work on shot selection, since he has the turnover trouble behind him.

He does need to make better decisions, however, for his own personal shotmaking. Those blocked shots against him or failed layups are just as bad as turnovers, even if not recorded as such in the box score.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I agree Rod, I'm sure he'll wind up starting at some point next year, if not right away. I was just putting all the people we have that can play at those positions.

I didn't know if Biggie could play the 2.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Biggie is 6'3", and a tough defender.
Likes to drive. Big enough for a 2.
He could be a change of pace combo guard.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

After the decade, I wouldn't mind having a lot of point guards-maybe 10 or 11.lol
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I was hoping for a major improvement from Powell but what I saw last night was the same player as last year. He is turning the ball over fewer times, which is good, but when your shot is blocked four times a game you're turning the ball over to the other team. On one of them he had Nik open in the corner. That's a very bad play.
Not giving up on the kid, but he has to play much better to be a starting PG in this league.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think Powell is a point guard in the way that Jason Terry is a point guard, sometimes. Ideally, I think his role is as a scorer who focuses on offense and tough on-ball defense, as opposed to trying to get everyone else going, but the current roster probably hamstrings them. Malone and Munford clearly aren't point guards, and last year, I didn't think TJ was much of a natural point either, even though Baron played him there from time to time.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Um, Powell is not an "one the ball" defender.
Last night, case in point. Green abused him, all night.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rodfromcranston wrote:Um, Powell is not an "one the ball" defender.
He's shown flashes of being a good defender, and he has the foot speed to be a decent one. I think if he's not running the offense, all the other aspects of his game improve. Of course, this is kind of a moot, hypothetical conversation to begin with, since he's going to be the point for all of this year at the very least.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

rodfromcranston wrote:Um, Powell is not an "one the ball" defender.
Powell's not a world-beater by any means on defense, but Green is an all-ACC player. Powell was assigned with guarding an excellent player in his own right, and he routinely gets beat off the dribble. Short PGs can be successful (Chaz Williams), with good vision and defense - Powell doesn't seem to have either.
0 x
Go Rhody!
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

My concern with Powell at this point is that he hasn't improved his offensive game. i was hoping that he would have improved with his shot. It appears at this point that he can't hit the 3 or the basic 10 footer. At his size for him to compete at this level he needs to be able to stop on a dime and hit the tear drop floater. He will continue to get stuffed taking it to the rim unless the lane is wide open. Tiny pg's can be very affective in college bball but they have to be able to make shots. I think he has a solid handle with the ball and plays his heart out. It's only been two games so hopefully his shot will start to fall and he can develop ther "tear drop floater" that smaller guards need to master to be affective offensively.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The 2 guys coming in next yr will be the real deal, maybe Powell transfers ???
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Once i heard Hurley was "saving" the offensive plays from being used in the exhibition game, i got all excited to finally see a structured offense. Well, I'm dissapointed to say that so far it has been the same "backyard baron ball" offense we've been seeing the last 10 years. I know there isn't much offense to work with other than Munford and Nik, but at least running plays to isolate them at a mid-jumper range will give them a chance for a close shot or drive to the basket. Instead we are just playing hot potato 5 feet behind the perimeter and forcing someone who can actually dribble the ball to make the play themselves.

To be fair, I'm actually very impressed with the teams discipline so far and think there is tremendous room to improve. Defensively we're giving everything we got, and our bigs are overmatched but still defending better than our guards IMO.

Unfortunately, when hearing all the "Hurley optimism" here, i can't help but to think back when we had FREAK ATHLETIC teams with Seawright, Ulmer, Cothran, Del, Jimmy, so on... yet still couldnt make it anywhere. I completely agree Baron was the problem, but honestly not many teams can put together a group of athletes like that. When i look at our current team i cant do anything but laugh at our lack of playmakers, there is ZERO to be excited about on offense. NO alley oops, no offensive putbacks, no post play, no PLAYS (that i've seen) made to utilize our players. At least Hare hasn't taken a 3 yet. Sigh
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

And about the 2 recruits we have coming in... yeah im excited. But I LOVE hearing everyone overhype the shit out of them. If anyone thinks these kids are gonna come in here and be the "real deal" your crazy. Only the top 10 or 15 players in any recruiting class are actually "gamechanging" players (usually due to overwhelming athleticism). Just like how everyone, like myself, bought into Jordan Hare being "the real deal" yet he virtually has no game. I learned this time, and can admit the only gamechanger URI will see in the next 2 years is Biruta
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Hoopz...it's been 2 games. How have you seen enough of Hare to say he virtually has no game?
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Well that was quite the late-night rant i made last night. But to answer your question about Hare, I think the first reason is that for a team with NO big men, Hurley STILL isnt giving him the playing time that was expected. Not only that, but what makes anyone think this kid is gonna be better than OO? They have an uncanny resemblence if you ask me, except OO has better ups, relatively bigger frame, and a good looking shot.

I know its only been 2 games and he's only a freshman, but with all the hype I have to admit i was expecting someone who could "come in and contribute right away" like virtually every report on him said. It will be interesting to see him develop over the years, something that we've never seen here before. Im just hoping Hare actually pans out.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

He was listed in the freakin' national top 30 freshman to make an impact by one service. Just amazing how the hype train followed him to Kingston. Maybe things will be much different towards the end of the season.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I agree that he certainly doesn't look like a top 30 impact guy right now, but it's tough for a guy playing the 4 or 5 to come in as a true freshman with no one around him, and be expected to shoulder the down low load himself.

Give him a few games, seriously, after these next few weeks it's only going to get easier. Hopefully after getting his ass kicked by norfolk, va tech, osu, seton hall, etc - he'll get his bearings and be the kid we thought he'd be.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Anyone who says our offense looks just like Baron ball isn't watching the games.
Baronball involved the PG dribbling aimlessly until the clock was almost out, and passing to someone for a rushed
shot.
The only similarity is, Baron never used the post to run his offense through for inside-outside passing.
Watching Plumlee hitting the open shooter, when the defense collapsed on him, was textbook post passing by Duke.
We have nobody to pass the ball into to facilitate that.
Our offense involves crisp passing, balanced floor, and pretty good shot selection, with some exceptions.
None of this was present in 11 years of Baronball.
You can't make something out of nothing, when you have no size, and only two guys who are capable of scaring the opponent on offense.
As for freshmen who aren't top 20 making an impact, that's a load of crap.
It happens everywhere. Tyson Wheeler was not heavily recruited but played from day one, in a better than now A-10.
I love it. Two games and these trolls come out of nowhere to criticize Hurley's coaching abilities.
If Martin and Matthews aren't immediate contributors, I'd be shocked.
Baron never played freshmen, until last year, when he absolutely had no choice.
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Hey Rod i've respected your passion for URI bball and alot of your posts, but recently you've been over the top. You have no warrant to call me a "troll" as I've been making reasonable posts on here for about 6 years now, from back when everyone was on the projo and whatnot. The mancrush you have on Hurley has been overly apparent from you firing back at anyone who "criticizes" him, and anyone who dares to talk about the "where are they now" URI players. Everyone has their right to voice a reasonable opinion about whatever they want to talk about.

I think Hurley is gonna do great things here and i love his mentality, but I will remain concerned about his offensive philosophies until i see differently. I think he could make plays which utilize our scorers more effectively. Its still very early, but what do u expect me to say???? "I love Dan Hurley and the offense he runs is really good so far. Keeping our scorers behind the perimeter is especially smart since we've hit 7 out of 41 3ptrs (17%)" GIVE ME A BREAK
0 x
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

I'm with ya' 100%, Rod.

P.S. Speaking of anti-Hurley trolls, where has Issac been?
0 x