We need a point guard.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Issac
Abdul Fox

Re: We need a point guard.

Unread post by Issac »

Right here, Ben. I always knew you were not the brightest poster around with your well known reputation as a "whiner" of the first order, but your comment just shows your typical distortion and lies. But then again no one is allowed an opinion that is not approved by big bad, Ben.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Thanks Ben! I'm getting very little backup in my battle with the trolls,
and Baron lovers.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Thanks Ben! I'm getting very little backup in my battle with the trolls,
and Baron lovers.
I'm choosing to ignore them. It's a great day for URI today. I'm looking forward to a very bright future. This could be a very tough year, record wise. That doesn't change my optimism going forward.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Please just block them, Rod, by setting them as your Foes.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

ATP, I have never blocked anyone on any board.
I'm not starting now.
As I said, when a new poster comes on, and his sole purpose is to
slam Hurley on every level, with every post, I think "troll" or somebody with
a clear agenda.
Sorry if you think defining someone as a troll is something uncalled for, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't think that the problem with the offense is the offense we are running, as much as it is a lack of scorers on the team. I thought we got some pretty good looks last Friday night, but we couldn't knock anything down. Also, we don't really know if the offense will open up things for guys that can create off the bounce and get to the rim, because we don't have many guys like that. Finally, we don't know if the offense will create good one-on-one situations in the post for our bigs, because we don't have any bigs that are a threat to post up and score.

Bringing this all back to the original point of this thread, I don't think our problems scoring have to do with Hurley's offense, nor do I think they can be pinned directly on Powell. He's also in a tough spot (I don't know how many assists he would have had Friday night if guys had made some shots, but probably at least twice as many as the three he had). And tying it together with the other thread talking about Hare, I think we need a lot more time to make realistic judgments about any of this stuff, including the coach's system and the individual players on the team.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote:I don't think that the problem with the offense is the offense we are running, as much as it is a lack of scorers on the team. I thought we got some pretty good looks last Friday night, but we couldn't knock anything down. Also, we don't really know if the offense will open up things for guys that can create off the bounce and get to the rim, because we don't have many guys like that. Finally, we don't know if the offense will create good one-on-one situations in the post for our bigs, because we don't have any bigs that are a threat to post up and score.

Bringing this all back to the original point of this thread, I don't think our problems scoring have to do with Hurley's offense, nor do I think they can be pinned directly on Powell. He's also in a tough spot (I don't know how many assists he would have had Friday night if guys had made some shots, but probably at least twice as many as the three he had). And tying it together with the other thread talking about Hare, I think we need a lot more time to make realistic judgments about any of this stuff, including the coach's system and the individual players on the team.
Agree with all of this. The offense is going to struggle this year regardless of who's coaching - It's all guards, and it's not like it's Delonte West and Jameer Nelson out there, it's serviceable but not elite guys. Pretty much everyone thought the Rams would struggle this year, but panic and dread still seems to set in when it actually happens.
0 x
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

Issac wrote:Right here, Ben. I always knew you were not the brightest poster around with your well known reputation as a "whiner" of the first order, but your comment just shows your typical distortion and lies. But then again no one is allowed an opinion that is not approved by big bad, Ben.
THERE he is...

Issac, that reply made no sense. I'm not sure how to reply to it. Let me reflect for a bit. Maybe I'll figure out what you're talking about.

Distortion? Lies? I haven't said much here. What have I been dishonest about? Anyway...

How's Jim Baron these days? Doing well?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

LOL !! He must be doing cartwheels now that he is 1-0 and his son had 21
0 x
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

On the other side of the coin, I haven't seen Gandy. Did he migrate here from the previous version of the board?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think he has but I am not totally certain
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

the offense is not the issue, its the guys running the offense. as TP alluded to, we dont have anyone (with the exception of Munford) that can break a guy down off the dribble, get by him and force the defense to react and thus leave other guys open. we also dont have a single inside guy that is a threat and forces a double team, which opens up other players. next year both of those issues will be addressed big time. biruta will be doubled every time he touches it, and biggie, munford and matthews will all be guys that can beat their man off the dribble.

some ppl on here speak like its so easy to install an offense that leaves people wide open all over the place....do you not understand that the other team is playing defense, studying our offensive sets, and putting in strategies to stifle our offense. i am sure getting Nik the ball in places he can do damage is a goal of our offense, but guess what the defense knows that too. when you only have 1-2 guys to worry about there isnt an offensive gameplan in the world that can address that. we need more horses, then we can be off to the races. until then, its been 2 games with a rag-tag roster of holdovers and new faces...to expect a well oiled machine already is just ignorant and naive.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

bigappleram wrote:the offense is not the issue, its the guys running the offense. as TP alluded to, we dont have anyone (with the exception of Munford) that can break a guy down off the dribble, get by him and force the defense to react and thus leave other guys open. we also dont have a single inside guy that is a threat and forces a double team, which opens up other players. next year both of those issues will be addressed big time. biruta will be doubled every time he touches it, and biggie, munford and matthews will all be guys that can beat their man off the dribble.

some ppl on here speak like its so easy to install an offense that leaves people wide open all over the place....do you not understand that the other team is playing defense, studying our offensive sets, and putting in strategies to stifle our offense. i am sure getting Nik the ball in places he can do damage is a goal of our offense, but guess what the defense knows that too. when you only have 1-2 guys to worry about there isnt an offensive gameplan in the world that can address that. we need more horses, then we can be off to the races. until then, its been 2 games with a rag-tag roster of holdovers and new faces...to expect a well oiled machine already is just ignorant and naive.
Not sure anyone is expecting a well oiled offense. But, not matter how bad you are, there are certain things you can control. Entry pass attempts, consistently running offensive sets, cutting to the basket. There are a million things you can do, even if they aren't done well. Why would you do it then? Because you can't replicate game speed or opposing defense in practice. Every offensive possession should be viewed as a stepping stone to better things. I honestly wouldn't care if Hare got five straight entry passes, tried a post move, and failed. I really do think that is better than 5 straight one on one moves by X. I have no problem with people disagreeing with that. I am sure there are plenty of folks that would rather win seven games than four. I am sure there are plenty of folks who would rather lose by 15 than 22. I'd rather see what we have and start laying the foundation for years to come.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

we can agree to disagree then, and i will trust dan hurley knows more than you about how to get the most out of this season. not sure passing the ball into the post 5 times to a kid who looks ill equipped in establishing position or making an interior move is getting you anything more than ruining that player's confidence. if you are talking about hare we should run a set or two that frees him for a lob, not try to turn him into a back to the basket post player when he clearly is not ready for that.

and we have consistently run offensive sets every time down court, its a motion offense, you should check it out. last year our offense was dribble powell dribble, then OO or Holton jack up a 3. if you are comparing that to this year we are watching two different teams.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'd love to see our offense go though the post to play inside-out offense.
You need a post player with a strong base, to withstand the pushing and shoving that goes on inside.
Also, good hands are needed, because the pass going in, can't be dropped or bobbled.
Hare doesn't have the strength to hold his position, right now.
Aaman seems to have short arms, but may be better equipped at the moment to use in the post.
The other thing is, will the opponents move to double team either Hare or Aaman, to facilitate the post pass
to an open shooter? Why would they, when neither currently is a threat to score down low.
In short, the theory is sound, but the players needed to incorporate the offense just aren't there.
I'm sure Hurley has tried entry passes to the post in practice, and found it wanting.
With Biruta and Onyekaba, you could do it, easily.
Another case of treading water until next year.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

getting back to point guards, we have a point guard in E.C. coming next season, to state the obvious, but to be fair to Powell he doesn't exactly have an offensive juggernaut surrounding him, kinda hard for a point guard to be successful without much offense around and as I have said in the past I think Powell has some decent grit and some upside yet tapped. Some folks are implying in some threads that he might choose to transfer after this season, I sure hope not. He will be our most experienced PG next season and good teams need good guard play 40 minutes per game, unless we are expecting E.C. to be Ironman, I expect Powell to have around 10-20 minutes available to him per game, including 5 or so minutes with both on the floor, E.C. at SG. Minnis looks real aggressive, which is a good thing, but I've not seen enough of him to know if he's good to go at point or he if fits more as an attacking SG.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'