Game #2: Virginia Tech - In-Game

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Re: Game #2: Virginia Tech - In-Game

Unread post by Kingston »

Agree about Malone
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Like I said, the players from last year, ugh. Malone, VERY overrated. Powell, not good enough. Nik, good at times but streaky. TJ, big hustle, good D, no O. Brooks, can't score, at least better than last year.

Hare, needs to snap out of it and soon. Yes, he's a 1st year player, but he was recruited by last year's staff.

Already can't wait for next year. All Baron's boys will be gone, with the exception of TJ, not sure about Powell. Going to be Hurley year 3 before the big breakthrough though. The talent level will be WAY better next year, but very young and will take time to gel, but that's OK by me.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

twisted3829 wrote:i think malone might be the most overrated player we have. he can't hit a shot, can't play defense
I agree with this, too. He's been absolutely terrible.
0 x
Go Rhody!
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Noted I picked MUmford to avg 21
0 x
iceman
Jim Eitner

Unread post by iceman »

The big advantage of next year will we will be much more experienced and talented. Minnis, Biruta, and Big O will be a big talent ugrade and will have the system down as they can practice all year. Munford needs some help and Aaman would be even more effective with another good rebounder/ defender around him.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Oh well, at least we look like a basketball team now.

Aaman and Hare will only get better. Munford can play. I still think after 10 games we'll be a decent team.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Now I think we're beginning to realize that, yes, Baron was a lousy coach, but an even worse judge of talent, as in recruiting. His old players really weren't, and aren't, that good.

Yes, he did have a few bright spots for players, but that was a few years ago.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Any know PC brant score
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I think this team will come together as the season goes on. They had flashes against a decent team. Lots of young new faces, it will take time to build chemistry. That's what seem to lack tonight, but the will come with time.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! Awful.
We played against a team with only 8 scholarship players!
Munford is s BIG TIME scorer. He's deadly in the open floor.
He can drive and he can shoot, and he can handle the ball.
Nik was useless tonight. Not athletic enough to contend with
VATech players guarding him.
Powell, and Malone not much more than mediocre.
Aaman is an effort player, but not enough to really make a difference.
Bigby, is a body. Doesn't make mistakes, but doesn't add much, either.
Feel bad TJ got hurt. Looked bad.
Hare? I'm not saying anything.
Refs were calling us for every ticky tack foul. Hurley finally got angry at the end.
Long season ahead, guys.
I hope we never have to listen to these horrible announcers that we had tonight.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Jordan Hare, thus far is a major disappointment; he's appears to be not ready, nor prepared for this level of play, I am beginning to also question his motor.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

They are up by 25 or 30 now.

What does everyone think about the associate/assistant coaches coming out after the game to speak to Steve/Don? I've got mixed feelings, but if that means the team improves better cuz the Hurleys are working the guys in the locker room after the buzzer, than that's OK I guess.

Bobby is great on the post-game shows, but I hope to have Dan come out. Will he only come out after wins?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I shudder to think how bad this team would be, if JB was still here. No new talent, no returning talent, especially with the loss of Holton.

They would be hard pressed to win more games than last year's womens team. For all you newbies here, that's a big fat ONE.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

rambone 78 wrote:Like I said, the players from last year, ugh. Malone, VERY overrated. Powell, not good enough. Nik, good at times but streaky. TJ, big hustle, good D, no O. Brooks, can't score, at least better than last year.

Hare, needs to snap out of it and soon. Yes, he's a 1st year player, but he was recruited by last year's staff.
What does being recruited by last years staff have to do with anything.

Also, why does everyone want to get rid of Powell, he is all we have right now for a point guard. What has TJ Buchanan done in 2 years? Powell can be a nice backup to Minnis or Mathews next year and he is maybe he's not good enough but we would be losing by 50 a night right now easy if we didnt have him.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

They are just plain bad. What else is there to say.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Xavier isn't an upgrade in talent?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

How can you have so many guards and swing players that can't hit a 3! If they hit 25% of their 3's it's a different game. Plus we do not get any second chance looks/points. We do not get any fast break or transition buckets and we do not get in he passing lanes.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Way to many missing pieces for this group, going to be long, long season. I think we all knew that, and are going to have to settle for the development of individual players, with setting a team defensive mindset, have a few games we win, others we/ll hang around(when we shoot lights out)and the rest will be blowouts........teams will look to take away Mumford and then.......................
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Don Kaull sounds irritated that none of the coaches have come out to chat yet....

http://www.iheart.com/live/3217/?autoplay=true
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

shouldn't they be under contract to do so?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think the coaching staff is well aware of the challenges facing them the rest of this season. They've got to keep on working to not only improve, but keep their heads in the game while the losses keep piling up. There are just not enough quality players to compete with the better teams they will face this season.

This truly is going to be a transition year. Next year will be a whole new ball game. Gone will be the poor to mediocre talent left over from JB. The team will be almost all Hurley's guys. We might not Dance next year, that's asking a LOT, but at least we'll be trending that way, in a big way.

There should be improvement as this season goes on, but it might be hard to measure in terms of wins. I can be patient another year.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Jim Carr said without TJ on the floor, the team lacks the commitment to defense.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Guys, please ask coach about Hare!!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RI Fan, remember last year's group couldn't hit a 3 to save their lives. They are lousy shooters simple as that. Contested 3's or open 3's. Doesn't matter.

What's going to change this year? The Hurleys can't make shots for them. We've got Munford and little else right now.

Next year, this team is going to be good, both inside and outside. As for now, nothing.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

From the looks of things, the team will have to find that committment to defense from some others. One guy shouldn't be the reason for not wanting to play defense.

Really going to be a long year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, next year, Biruta, Onekaba, Reischel, and the guy who I'm most looking forward to seeing, Hassan Martin.
Aaman will be a year older. Hare? I'm not saying anything.
Frontline will go from undermanned to top notch.
PG, will have Matthews and Minnis, in addition to Powell.
SG, Munford will be a star, but needs a backup who will start after he graduates.
Keep telling yourselves these people are going to be here, in addition to the holdovers, and how much brighter things will be.

PS. Malesevic will score and get his shots. He just had a night of bad matchups with VATech.
We need a third guy. I thought it would be Malone. So far, hardly.
Remember when posters were saying he'd hands down be the best player on last years team when he became eligible?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I guess I had expected X, Nick and Malone to shoot at least 25-30% from 3. I thought Malone would be better this season, since many transfers have rust their first season.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Munford 1-9 from 3 and 4 TOs. Didn't catch the game. Did he look like as much of a black hole as the box would indicate?
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

he was about the only one who could score or do anything tonight
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yeah, scoring half his team's point on 50% shooting is clearly indicative of how awful X Munford was.
Please!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With no post game, there won't be a lot of open looks from 3 as this year goes on. Munford will get doubled a LOT. If no one else can make shots....it's ugly, isn't it?

On defense, we also just don't have a lot of good man to man defenders. This team needs everything. Even the Hurleys won't be able to work miracles with this group.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Munford was the only player that had a good game tonight. Point the finger in a different direction.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know we're harping on this, but next year....

7 new players at least, all of whom are major upgrades over most of what we have now.

NO ONE will be, or should be, calling for Hurley's head on a platter anytime soon, or ever for that matter.

Someone else here nailed it: just looking for improvement from the new guys that are here NOW.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Only a total idiot would try to bag the Hurley's for this season.
Probably 8 new players next year. They should be cooking come January of 2014.
A lot of new players to blend in, so I'm hoping the schedule will be more forgiving
than this years'.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, agree on the OOC schedule next season, have some tough games, but don't frontload them if at all possible. Will take time to gel, but once they do.... now beginning in 2014, play as many good teams as they can get early on, they'll be ready.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote: PS. Malesevic will score and get his shots. He just had a night of bad matchups with VATech.
We need a third guy. I thought it would be Malone. So far, hardly.
Remember when posters were saying he'd hands down be the best player on last years team when he became eligible?
I agree here. They were attacking Nik with two and sometimes three guys the second he got the ball every time.
0 x
bkrichmond

Unread post by bkrichmond »

Baby steps here fellas. Baby steps.
Start with this. They came out down 13-0 and had it to 28-24 late in the first half. Last year under very similar circumstances at Nebraska they were down 20 about seven minutes into the game and never made so much as a little run to cut into it.
These guys play hard. They're obviously not very good, but their effort is clear. Their change in attitude is clear. That was the whole point of this coaching change, not going 20-13 this season.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Too few shots that have a decent chance of going in!
Way too many shots put back in their face.
Way too many second and third chances given.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugly loss and I took URI plus the points as I thought we would hang

Malone way overrated, he needs to have a big game
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Yes, it is going to be a long year.
Liked the fact that X stepped up last night. Good for his confidence after the opening game, and he did it against an ACC team.
Powell's shot - doesn't he appear to fall back?
Aaman - I was wrong about him. I thought he might disappear next year at the end of the bench. His attitude is good, maybe that's why coach wanted him to come North.
Hare - what's the expression, you can't teach height? well, one would hope you could try to teach aggressiveness. Certainly not giving up after two games, can we assume Birutas makes him work harder in practice? Not sure. Statistics can sometimes be deceiving but... Hare 17 minutes, no rebounds. Aaman, 34 minutes, 11 rebounds, and he's not 6-10.
We will shoot better and we will win some games.
As for this Saturday, we need the "slingshot"

Have not and will not...
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Free throw shooting poor again.

3-Point defense again poor because Powell is being beat off the dribble and the wings collapse to the ball.

URI players seem to avoid contact when driving to the lane instead of drawing body contact, resulting in a lot of their shots being blocked as they are not vertical enough. But, even if they were to draw a foul, they'd miss the free throws anyway.

Malone doesn't seem to know his role on the court. Last year, I can understand because nobody knew. But, you would think his niche would be carved out by the coaching staff.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

As I said in another post, Just get through this year! I think we will have a few more scholarships to give next year as well as I can't see Powell or Buchanan staying either by their own choice or the coaching staffs. These two kids will end up on the bench and see very few minutes with the new players coming in. Baron's players just aren't good enough. For the positive side of last night, I loved the uniforms. I also thought that the team gave a good effort and again just needs more talent. I mean realistically how many people actually thought that we could go into ACC country and win? We were 13 point underdogs for a reason.

I think the biggest challenge for Dan right now is keeping hte kids positive and believing that they can win a game. That will be his biggest challenge all year. I still ike what I see overall and I can't wait for next year!
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

after 2 games almost every outside shot we have taken has been highly contested

shooting percentages for contested shots across the board are very low compared to open looks

that's a function of having zero inside presence to draw double teams and an average PG who doesnt find the open man often enough

our two best looks this season were the back to back 3s that Nik hit against norfolk state

our guys are throwing bricks for sure, but most of them are contested bricks.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:our two best looks this season were the back to back 3s that Nik hit against norfolk state
Those came from 1) a broken play where Powell was able to penetrate and kick out and 2) on a transition from a steal.

I would disagree in saying that there haven't been a good number of makeable shots.

At least our 3s aren't being attempted by the big men. I trust that they will start to fall once the team builds some collective outside shooting mojo.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ATPTourFan wrote:
At least our 3s aren't being attempted by the big men. I trust that they will start to fall once the team builds some collective outside shooting mojo.
So f'ing true. The shots are (mostly) good shots, they'll fall eventually. We're not gonna shoot 4.8% all year.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I don't think the shot selection, overall, has been bad at all.
How many shots go in and out?
Munford can get his shot anytime he wants.
Not sure I can blame "lack of defined role" for Malone not playing well.
Missed shots are missed shots. Poor defense is poor defense, regardless of what the "role" is.
We need a win at some point to boost player's morale,
so they can see their efforts and what they're learning bears fruit in time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Isn't it possible that the shooting % is low because we don't have good shooters? I think we have streaky shooters who are capable of getting hot. But do we have any consistently good shooters? Munford shot a good percentage in game 2 but most were baskets driving to the hoop. He is 3-19 from deep in the 2 games. Malone is 1-10 from deep in the 2 games, Powell is 0-6. Only Nik has a good percentage but he's only taken 5 shots from deep. And as has been pointed out, many of these shots from these guys have been open looks. We need at least 2 of these guys to have good shooting nights in the same game for us to win. BTW, Powellis not a good shooter. He has terrible form. Watch his jump shot. His body is actually leaning backwadrs as he is coming down and he lands on his heels, almost stumbling backwards. #1 priority in recruiting right now should be a shooter. Is Severe that guy? Supposedly that is one of his strengths. Our offense will change a lot next year with Biruta as an inside scorer, but we still need that sharp shooter to keep the defense from collapsing on a guy like Biruta.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Lots of love for Munford in this thread. Guy has taken 41 shots in two games and scored 32 points. That's not good. You want to be above 1.2 points per shot to be even moderately efficient. Someone has to shoot it but I question having a JUCO guy taking that many shots when he won't be on the next good Rhody team.
Too early to make a call on Hare. Big guys take a while sometimes.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Gonebarongone wrote:Lots of love for Munford in this thread. Guy has taken 41 shots in two games and scored 32 points. That's not good. You want to be above 1.2 points per shot to be even moderately efficient. Someone has to shoot it but I question having a JUCO guy taking that many shots when he won't be on the next good Rhody team.
Too early to make a call on Hare. Big guys take a while sometimes.
Referring to Munford as a "JUCO guy" is a little misleading, he was an All-American at the JUCO level and seemingly only went that route because he didn't have the grades to play in D1 right away. And did you watch the game last night? Munford was our only viable offensive threat, his bad season stats stem from the fact that he shot 3-19 against Norfolk St. It's been two games, the sample size for any statistic is too small right now to tell us anything about anything.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right, you can't start quoting points per shot at this early stage in the season.
0 x