Game #2: Virginia Tech - In-Game

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game #2: Virginia Tech - In-Game

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:As I said in another thread, two games and we have trolls coming in
and knocking Hurley's abilities on every level.
He doesn't have any real experience.
He doesn't know anything about offense.
His recruits won't have any impact, and are overhyped.
His offense looks just like Baronball (two new trolls saying the same thing)
This is all crap. These trolls are Baron buttboys or PC fans having their giggles.
I'm already sick of them.
Disagree with the Wizard of Rod and you must be a troll!

Sorry. Just going to hold off on my opinion of him as a coach, developer of talent, and a game planner until I see more. Terrible, I know.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote: Disagree with the Wizard of Rod and you must be a troll!

Sorry. Just going to hold off on my opinion of him as a coach, developer of talent, and a game planner until I see more. Terrible, I know.
Actually, if you were really just holding off on your opinion until you see more I'm not sure anyone would fault you for that. But you aren't holding off, you are saying he has no offense and its Baronball all over again. Huge difference.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: Disagree with the Wizard of Rod and you must be a troll!

Actually, if you were really just holding off on your opinion until you see more I'm not sure anyone would fault you for that. But you aren't holding off, you are saying he has no offense and its Baronball all over again. Huge difference.
I never said Baronball once. I have no opinion on Hurley as a tactician (yet) only an opinion on what I saw during the first two games. This is a message board, right? I don't like what I saw. Simple as that. I didn't like the ball movement and I think Munford taking 20 shots per game is a detriment to the long term progress of this program. He can't control the cupboard that was left to him but he can control those things. If things move away from a pickup style offense into a more refined offense with ball movement and some low post activity, I'll be more than happy to say that. Doug Collins has built his entire defense in Philly around funneling the opposing team to contested 15-25 foot jumpers and lowered the points allowed by almost ten ppg.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote: I never said Baronball once. I have no opinion on Hurley as a tactician (yet) only an opinion on what I saw during the first two games. This is a message board, right? I don't like what I saw. Simple as that. I didn't like the ball movement and I think Munford taking 20 shots per game is a detriment to the long term progress of this program. He can't control the cupboard that was left to him but he can control those things. If things move away from a pickup style offense into a more refined offense with ball movement and some low post activity, I'll be more than happy to say that. Doug Collins has built his entire defense in Philly around funneling the opposing team to contested 15-25 foot jumpers and lowered the points allowed by almost ten ppg.
You're right, I did confuse you with another post on the Baronball thing, my bad on that. My point doesn't change. You cant really say you are withholding an opinion, because you have a pretty clear opinion. And yes, this is a message board, and I'm allowed to disagree with your opinion to.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gonebarongone wrote:Just going to hold off on my opinion of him as a coach, developer of talent, and a game planner until I see more. Terrible, I know.
Of course not. I still find your assessment of Hurley's accomplishments at St. Benedict's and Wagner dubious.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:Just going to hold off on my opinion of him as a coach, developer of talent, and a game planner until I see more. Terrible, I know.
Of course not. I still find your assessment of Hurley's accomplishments at St. Benedict's and Wagner dubious.
That's fair. I shouldn't dismiss those. It's more that we can realistically predict some things. I think it would be hard to see him not succeeding in recruiting. I think it would be hard to see these guys not bringing a refreshing brand of ball to URI. It's not as hard to see him being mediocre or worse as a game coach. Let's face it, he has the name but ten years in Parochial A (or whatever they call it now) and two in the NEC isn't exactly cutting your teeth, getting prepped for big time college hoops. The last time he looked up on a bench and saw a big time coach to emulate was PJ carlisemo and that was only for a few years, I think, a million years ago. That's not to say he won't be great. Maybe he will be. But, I was skeptical of this before the first game and the two games were red flags. Am I going to bury my head and not be open to what happens over the next three years? Not at all. Let's see some actual game action before crowning him Henry Iba.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't care if you dismiss his history or not, but your stated reasons for doing so were not completely accurate.

And if he ever starts to emulate PJ, I am out of here :)
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote:I don't care if you dismiss his history or not, but your stated reasons for doing so were not completely accurate.

And if he ever starts to emulate PJ, I am out of here :)
Come again? PJ at Seton Hall is EXACTLY what we should be hoping for. Guy was made to be a college hoops coach. Too bad he left The Hall. If URI gets six ncaa bids, a sweet 16, an elite eight appearance, a championship game appearance, several NBA players, league title, league tourney title, this board would literally go to the Vatican to start the canonization process for HUrley.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you're talking about just results, absolutely. Trust me, I'm quite familiar with SH basketball. For one, I can barely hear the name Western Kentucky without visibly cringing.

Otherwise, let's just say I was rooting for Latrell.
(kidding)
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yeah, Bobby Hurley only had that awful bench coach Coach K to look at.
Both Dan and Bobby played for Bob Sr. Only a Hall of Famer.
This troll is digging in his heels against Hurley and I'm already tired of his act.
Dan is not a big fan of PJ. Read Miracle of St. Anthony's and learn something.
When I talked about Powell dribbling until the clock was down to a couple of seconds Dan said,
"That's what Carlisimo had me doing for three years at Seton Hall."
Funny, if PJ was so great, did he ever get another D-1 job, or was his reputation so lousy, that nobody would go near him?
Ditto for the NBA. This guy is viewed as a cancer.
Never went past 1st round NBA playoffs and missed them his last five years.
This from Wiki:
"A strict coach who emphasized crisp execution, Carlesimo also developed a reputation as an "unrepentant screamer" in his first two NBA jobs at Portland and Golden State. After a five-year stint on Popovich’s staff, he insisted that he had learned how to develop relationships with players, but several sources insisted that as Sonics/Thunder coach he reverted back to the strident ways that precipitated the Latrell Sprewell attack in 1997"
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Yeah, Bobby Hurley only had that awful bench coach Coach K to look at.
Both Dan and Bobby played for Bob Sr. Only a Hall of Famer.
This troll is digging in his heels against Hurley and I'm already tired of his act.
Dan is not a big fan of PJ. Read Miracle of St. Anthony's and learn something.
When I talked about Powell dribbling until the clock was down to a couple of seconds Dan said,
"That's what Carlisimo had me doing for three years at Seton Hall."
Funny, if PJ was so great, did he ever get another D-1 job, or was his reputation so lousy, that nobody would go near him?
Ditto for the NBA. This guy is viewed as a cancer.
Never went past 1st round NBA playoffs and missed them his last five years.
This from Wiki:
"A strict coach who emphasized crisp execution, Carlesimo also developed a reputation as an "unrepentant screamer" in his first two NBA jobs at Portland and Golden State. After a five-year stint on Popovich’s staff, he insisted that he had learned how to develop relationships with players, but several sources insisted that as Sonics/Thunder coach he reverted back to the strident ways that precipitated the Latrell Sprewell attack in 1997"
So much wrong in this post. Greg Popovich might be the best coach in the NBA and wanted PJ around for a long time. Also, way to go to Wiki for your facts. Too funny.

Bobby looking up to Coach K was 20 years ago. Why don't you give me the Coach K coaching tree of all the guys who have been successful coaching after sharing a bench....(crickets).....when Mike Brey and Tommy Amaker are the best you have, well, color me not impressed......now tell me all the guys who shared a bench with Bobby Hurley, Sr who have been great coaches.

For the last time...I'm just saying that he hasn't earned his stripes as a coach. If you want to not use your eyes and assume that he is Bobby Knight, have at it. I, on the other hand, will watch the games and develop my opinion.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why, troll? IT'S WRONG BECAUSE YOU THINK IT IS?
Did a Hurley team kick your team's ass somewhere along the way?
You're no Rhody fan, obviously.
Go haunt some other message board.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rod, we can have members with differing opinions here. Can we dispense with the troll-labeling?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Preston Murphy
@coach_pmurph
Rod you don't miss a beat #8 non bcs recruiting class thanks for your continued support
07:08 PM - 14 Nov 12

RodfromCranston,
You have a new follower on Twitter.
Jim Carr
@coachjcarr

Assistant Coach -URI Men's Basketball. Brayden Carr's father - greatest title I ever had

RI/
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PJ seems like a decent NBA asst coach, I wouldnt want him coaching my NBA team. I think he could have a middle of the road college team if he wanted it but not a big time school
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This is a happy day for all real URI fans.
Number 8 in non BCS recruiting in Hurley and company's first year.
This is easily the best staff we've ever had, and their hard work has already paid dividends.
The future is bright.
There is one, possibly two, remaining scholarships and many fine players that we're still
very involved with.
Patience this year, will make next year and beyond that much sweeter.
GO,RHODY!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I've deleted one post from here. Let's try to avoid comparisons to Soviet rule.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

# 8 is great news

I really think we dance in 2015, I think the odds are maybe 75 % that happens
0 x