Game #2: Virginia Tech - PreGame

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Game #2: Virginia Tech - PreGame

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Like us, they have a new coach and a lot of new players, so hard to predict what this team will be like. But, they do still have Erick Green, one of the best players in the ACC. At 6'3", he's a big sized PG and could be a matchup problem for Powell. They are not a big team though, with no one over 6"8" on the roster. First road game for the team, so it will be a tough task to get a win. But Hurley teams at Wagner played very well on the road, leading the country in road wins last year. Have to get Munford and Malone going tonight to steal a win. Go Rhody!!
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Re: Virginia Tech

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Rhode Island +13.5 at the moment. I saw somewhere the line moved up to 14 briefly so it will likely head in that direction with some public $$ on Va Tech. Haven't decided if I am backing Rhody yet but if I do I am going to try to wait to see if I can get another point or so. Anyone have an opinion on this game?
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Difficult to compare given it is so early in season, but Va Tech has the edge in having home court advantage, they recruit ACC caliber players, they have a bigger back court than URI, and their starting guards can shoot - Robert Brown and Eric Green showed a combined 50% shooting against E. Tenn. State putting in 37 points. In that game, the Hokies were comfortably ahead most of the way and 11 players saw action.

For what it's worth, here is the Blue Ribbon Basketball analysis of teams.

Code: Select all

Virginia Tech     URI                        
Backcourt            B-           B-
Frontcourt           C            C
Bench/Depth          C            C-
Intangibles          C            B
OK, OK, I know it's a joke at this stage of season, but as of this morning, Virginia Tech has a #172 RPI rating and URI is ranked #331.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:Difficult to compare given it is so early in season, but Va Tech has the edge in having home court advantage, they recruit ACC caliber players, they have a bigger back court than URI, and their starting guards can shoot - Robert Brown and Eric Green showed a combined 50% shooting against E. Tenn. State putting in 37 points. In that game, the Hokies were comfortably ahead most of the way and 11 players saw action.

For what it's worth, here is the Blue Ribbon Basketball analysis of teams.

Code: Select all

Virginia Tech     URI                        
Backcourt            B-           B-
Frontcourt           C            C
Bench/Depth          C            C-
Intangibles          C            B
OK, OK, I know it's a joke at this stage of season, but as of this morning, Virginia Tech has a #172 RPI rating and URI is ranked #331.
So, our backcourts are rated equal even though they have a potential 1st team all ACC as their PG. I don't quite get that. It will be interesting to see how effective our pressure defense will affect a team that has as good a PG as Green. Rather than trying to break a press and set up a halfcourt offense, teams with a good PG tend to attack a press and try to get easy baskets. The person on the back end of the press, Brooks/Hare, better be ready to swat, while at the same time, try to stay out of foul trouble....I wish I could get this ESPN3, apparently satellite customers do not have access to it.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

What will be the best way to watch tonight's game? Does cox carry espn3?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Tom98 wrote:What will be the best way to watch tonight's game? Does cox carry espn3?
Live streams of all the WatchESPN Networks are available at no additional cost to fans who receive ESPN as part of their TV subscription from Bright House Networks, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon FiOS TV.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

espn3 is also available through cox
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Our frontcourt is a "C"? I'd hate to see a "D".
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'm pretty sure ESPN 3 is an online thing.
Cox has PC-Bryant on OSN.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ESPN3 and WatchESPN are not necessarily the same, as twisted indicated. From my understanding, ESPN3 is more widely available, including Cox/Verizon/Comcast, etc, and has all sorts of sports available both live and on-demand. Often those games are NOT also showing on the normal ESPN televised networks (ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU)

WatchESPN, from what I know, is a way to watch LIVE ESPN Television content on your computer or mobile device. So you can watch ANYTHING on ESPN as it airs. That is why WatchESPN is more limited, as the agreements between cable/sat providers are more expensive to grant such access.

Cox subscribers, like me, should be able to watch the game tonight and the Ohio State game on espn3.com
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

i believe that all espn3 games are also available on watchESPN but i'm not 100% sure
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes, that's correct. There are some blackout restrictions in some cases, but WatchESPN adds ability to essentially watch the same thing that you could watch on TV, but online.

WatchESPN is a higher level service which includes ESPN3 content, while adding LIVE same-as-TV content.

It's still pretty confusing, though.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

All I know is that I tried to log on to something and it asked for my provider and ID# or something. DirecTV was not one of the ones listed, nor was DISH Network. So, apparently. it's not available to satellite subscribers.
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Interesting preview on tonight's game from TechSideline
http://www.techsideline.com/2012/11/11/ ... l-preview/
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Re: Game #2: Virginia Tech - PreGame

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Just looking at line movements: Every time the line inches back up to 13.5 some sharp grabs it and it drops down to 12.5. I stand corrected on my earlier statement, I dont know if any "public" money would outweigh sharp money enough to move the line up but if it does it will be later on.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

so the only way to watch this game will be on your computer or phone through watch ESPN? I looked through the entire FIOS tv line up and i couldnt find the game anywehere.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Correct, that's ESPN3 - an Internet TV network.
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

So how do you get Watch ESPN3 on your computer. I have Fios TV and Cox 3- 65 coming in to the house?
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

This is the link for espn3: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/livenow/

It may ask you who your cable provider is, choose the correct option and then it will ask you to sign into your cable account (cox/verizion/whatever). Right now the game is listed under Upcoming Events, come 7:00 it will be under the Live Now tab.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I have AppleTV on my big screen TV.....I will try to watch ESPN3 on my iPad and hook it into the AppleTV and watch on the big screen...I have one of those smart TV's but I am too stupid to understand it....

..as an aside, my brother has a Smart car, and when I get in it, the car refuses to move....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Thanks optomistic!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I feel a Rhody win tonight....no reasoning behind it, just a gut feeling.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think URI loses but covers.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Iggy1979 wrote:I think URI loses but covers.

I like Va Tech -13.5, I think Rhody keeps it close but runs out of gas late. I think that will be a trend this season given the lack of depth.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

13.5 feels too high to me, but then again, URI did lose by a dozen to Norfolk State, and you figure Virginia Tech just has to be better, right? Regardless, I'd feel nervous betting the "over" for the favored team against URI, because you just know they're going to catch a couple teams by surprise.

On the other hand though, is there a point total for the game? I imagine that might be easier to exploit, because it's hard to imagine URI scoring a ton of points this year, plus if the NS game is any indication, they're going to use a lot of the shot clock each possession, which will keep the total score down.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

From what I've read, Va. Tech doesn't have any depth either.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Optimistic wrote:This is the link for espn3: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/livenow/

It may ask you who your cable provider is, choose the correct option and then it will ask you to sign into your cable account (cox/verizion/whatever). Right now the game is listed under Upcoming Events, come 7:00 it will be under the Live Now tab.

Cox isn't listed as an option. Booooooooo!
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Game is on espn 3 online now
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

i have cox and its working fine
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow I love the new road uniforms!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Love the uni's
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

twisted3829 wrote:i have cox and its working fine

I'm using a tablet and it s forcing me to use the app. When I sign in it akes me pick a provider. Cox isn't one. I'm going to go o the laptop and try it.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

the app doesn't use cox but a computer would
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

Great start
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

You can just click on Fios on the app. You have to enter your email, but you can access game.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Clawing back.. Ever so slowly !

Lets gooooooo
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

the unis are awesome! the play needs to catch up.
0 x