Rhode Island Basketball Tourney

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Rhode Island Basketball Tourney

Unread post by seanmc94 »

An ideal situation(makes too much sense so it would never happen); would be to hold a "preseason" tourney every year between the 4 teams like the Beanpot in Hockey. DDC and Ryan Center rotate as host sites. Open seating; so no season ticket holder rights. It would be the equivilant of a tourney at a neutral site. Hold it in the first week of Dec. Double header on Tues or Wed. Final 2 games on Sat at 3 and 6. Regular PC-URI game is moved to late Jan or even better; season finale at whichever venue didn't hold the tourney. Ensures that Rams and Friars play; also adds some spice to the local hoops ledger. Create or dust off the old Governor's Cup.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Rhode Island Basketball Tourney

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Eh - If PC and URI are going to be playing in the regular season still, I'm not sure why they would want to have a preseason tourney. Also, while the chance is slight, if you do the tournament in lieu of the regular season game, there is a chance that there wouldn't be a PC vs. URI game, which would hurt the gate wherever the tournament was held. The game would be a boon for non-URI and PC teams, since they'd probably get a better split of revenue, but I'm not sure what incentive there is for URI and PC to do it outside of it being fun.

I'd be more in favor of all RI Division I schools playing one another in home-and-home series. I think that would help build up the in-state programs, and URI at Bryant is probably a better test in some ways for them than some random game against Lubbock Christian or New Hampshire.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

A preseason series that looks like this...

Year #1
Team A at home Vs. Team B
B @h v. C
A @h v. D
C @h v. A
D @h v. B
C @h v. D
Year #2
Team A becomes team B, Team B becomes Team C, Team C becomes Team D and Team D becomes Team A.

And continue this way year by year.

the two 'best' teams play each other for the state championship on the court of one of the non-qualifiers. home wins are assigned 0.9 and away wins are assigned 1.1, this will virtually insure there will not be a three way tie for the two top spots or a tie between two teams for the second spot.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

No way PC and URI agree to home and homes with Bryant and Brown
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

URI plays Brown home and home as it is, I'm sure it wouldn't be a hit to sos to add Bryant and delete Maine. Same for PC, they usually play Brown and could easily eliminate some other lesser opponent and add Bryant. It's doable. Not that I care all that much, just offering a suggestion that would satisfy both criteria of declaring state champion and assuring at least one URI-PC match-up per year, if not two. Is it that you wouldn't want URI to beat PC twice a year?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Running Ram wrote:URI plays Brown home and home as it is, I'm sure it wouldn't be a hit to sos to add Bryant and delete Maine. Same for PC, they usually play Brown and could easily eliminate some other lesser opponent and add Bryant. It's doable. Not that I care all that much, just offering a suggestion that would satisfy both criteria of declaring state champion and assuring at least one URI-PC match-up per year, if not two. Is it that you wouldn't want URI to beat PC twice a year?
PC plays Brown at the DDC 99% of the time. Bryant 100% of the time. I have ZERO problem adding Bryant; I'm just not playing them in a high school gym. As far as beating PC twice in one year; try doing it ONCE first. It's been a while.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

seanmc94 wrote:
Running Ram wrote:URI plays Brown home and home as it is, I'm sure it wouldn't be a hit to sos to add Bryant and delete Maine. Same for PC, they usually play Brown and could easily eliminate some other lesser opponent and add Bryant. It's doable. Not that I care all that much, just offering a suggestion that would satisfy both criteria of declaring state champion and assuring at least one URI-PC match-up per year, if not two. Is it that you wouldn't want URI to beat PC twice a year?
PC plays Brown at the DDC 99% of the time. Bryant 100% of the time. I have ZERO problem adding Bryant; I'm just not playing them in a high school gym. As far as beating PC twice in one year; try doing it ONCE first. It's been a while.
Another comment to instigate an argument. Why is this a-hole allowed here?
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

I can't help but draw an analogy to international politics: the United States (Keaney Blue) allows free speech, regardless of how irritating or offensive it may be. However, try as an American to travel to someplace else, say Russia (PC's Scout board), and the least little infraction gets you banned, exiled, thrown into a gulag, etc.
I, for one, say that it's time to "deport" certain Friar supporting posters who seem to know just the right amount of "meaningful" dissertation necessary to continue to be given the freedom to throw barbs, jabs and insults. I'm tired of having threads hijacked, detoured, etc.
In the words of the immortal and missing Reef, time to say Bye Bye.....
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Instigate? I did not start the argument. A poster asked me if I was afraid of losing twice a year to URI and I responded. As usual, you guys like to dish it out, but can't take it. I am not the poster violating board rules with obscenities(Billyboy). As far as the Scout board. Rival posters and their views are welcome. The posters who get banned are those who cannot keep their language out of the gutter and their personal attacks at bay. As I've stated several times; if you get banned from a college hoops message board; that's a YOU problem.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We've had multiple threads hi-jacked by Sean, in his
attempt to tell us why PC didn't want Terrell, and why PC
is superior in every way.
If he thinks that, fine. It's what being a fan is about.
The strident tone is what's off putting.
RJ says many of the same things, but he's not as grinding.
I don't want to ban anyone, but this is our board, and not every
thread on conferences, facilities, or players, should tun into
"mine is bigger than yours" discussions, which take the thread
away from its original intent.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Rod,

You couldn't be further from the truth. I never said PC didn't want JT. I explained why PC wasn't a good fit for him. JT decided it wasn't a good fit for him. Second, I created this thread seperate to discuss a RI hoops tourney. One of the uri supporters fired a shot, I fired back and the uri posters cried foul.

Call it accurate.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Let the record reflect since this thread is here ...

By saying I thought the tournament should be played at the Dunk, was not an attempt to turn it into the Providence College invitational. I just think an event of this magnitude would draw significant buzz, and would deserved to be viewed in tournament fashion. One idea that I suppose would work would be Sean's idea to have open seating. To take it a step further, just have fair ticket allotments for each school. If it's at the RC, give PC and URI each 2,500 tickets, Brown and Bryant each 750, and leave 1,000 open to the general public. If it's at the Dunk, give PC and URI each 4,250 tickets, give Brown and Bryant each 1,250, and have the remaining 1,500 open to the general public, or something like that. If a school does not sell it's allotment by Date X, those tickets become open to the general public. I wouldn't endorse a second game though, think round robin works perfectly. Just find a weekend that works for everybody and set it up so PC and URI play the primetime game on Day 3, which would essentially be the championship game. Pipedream, but would be fun. Give the winner a huge trophy and tournament MVP.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NHRamFan wrote:I can't help but draw an analogy to international politics: the United States (Keaney Blue) allows free speech, regardless of how irritating or offensive it may be. However, try as an American to travel to someplace else, say Russia (PC's Scout board), and the least little infraction gets you banned, exiled, thrown into a gulag, etc.
I, for one, say that it's time to "deport" certain Friar supporting posters who seem to know just the right amount of "meaningful" dissertation necessary to continue to be given the freedom to throw barbs, jabs and insults. I'm tired of having threads hijacked, detoured, etc.
In the words of the immortal and missing Reef, time to say Bye Bye.....
+1000
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

He'd be gone if I were a Mod.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

But so would I probably, for something I've said along the way, so there's that...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:
Another comment to instigate an argument. Why is this a-hole allowed here?
Because plenty of people take pot shots at PC in completely unrelated threads; see the Terrell recruiting thread. It seems petty to turn around and restrict them from posting just because. Unless it's just blanket "HAHA FUCK URI!" stuff, we typically don't ban anyone. I think that's only happened two or three times.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

KeaneyBlue members can also learn to ignore certain members either systematically (via the "Foe" feature on this board) or just the old fasioned way -- don't give them the negative attention they want.

Not every point on the board requires a counter-point/correction, especially when it will derail the primary focus of the thread.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Let ace's wisdom take root in the hearts of many: "people are allowed to be wrong on the internet, and I can let it go without telling them."
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That would make for one boring ass message board.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Haha undoubtedly, but some people are not worth engaging, as nothing productive ever comes from it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yup.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Kinda off topic but too bad.....

I would still like to see a "Ramsfest" tourney. Colorado State, Fordham, Rhode Island and VCU. (If I have missed any other D1 rams correct me)

Dreamer I know but would be cool. Doable because could knock 2 conference games off the schedule at the same time....

I stated in another thread my position on this thread topic concept.....

of course if played in our beautiful on campus arena with our shiny new LED ribbon scroll I'd probably be all in

8-)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

BTW I still think Sean is hilarious....Nothing beats a good troll with a decent sense of humor.....keeps us all reminded of how evil Smith Hill truly is when it comes to all things Kingston.

IMHO of course.

Another off topic but I was doing my usual day after graduation convertible top down in the car cruise around campus yesterday. The thought came to mind how sweet it is that we managed to sneak a few more new buildings by Smith Hill along with the RC. The old stomping grounds were looking pretty modern with another major ground breaking under way.

Yep we are doing ok down here..... now we are going to have a serious D1 hoops team again. Give me D1 hockey and we'll be looking pretty sweet!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I added sean to the foe list and I can attest to the board improving greatly in quality. Y'all should try it!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Just schedule URI and PC twice a year as in the old days. You don't need the premise of a tournament.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Sean, rj and peeps don't understand how the dunk is perceived by Rhody fans and why it is so....I hate the place even though it was our home floor some games....like we were strangers in our own house....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Honestly, I hated when during Jack Kraft's time, we played nearly half the
schedule at the PCC.
It never was our home, despite covering the PC logos.
That and we never seemed to do that well there.
I think the Ryan Center was a great thing for URI basketball,
but the sin is, it was wasted for over a decade.
I think the current program leaders understand the value of
having a home court advantage.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rodfromcranston wrote:Honestly, I hated when during Jack Kraft's time, we played nearly half the
schedule at the PCC.
It never was our home, despite covering the PC logos.
That and we never seemed to do that well there.
I think the Ryan Center was a great thing for URI basketball,
but the sin is, it was wasted for over a decade.
I think the current program leaders understand the value of
having a home court advantage.
I agree with you Rod. I remember going to the URI v. Pee Cee games at the PCC/Dunk (pre-RC) and it really did feel more like a PC home game.

I think the RC is completely underutilized. More concerts would be great, and no I do not mean more Foam Parties.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:Let ace's wisdom take root in the hearts of many: "people are allowed to be wrong on the internet, and I can let it go without telling them."
Eh, it's more of a personal philosophy I sometimes utilize than a group recommendation. Some people need to be cantankerous and argumentative, maybe it presents an aneurysm or something else bad for them.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

well apparently some of your moronic fan base actually thinks the difference between UConn and PC is the same as the difference between PC and URI....so why would you want to play a tourney with us!

Talk about ignorant and ill informed, but certainly humorous.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The cc was never a home atmosphere for us. I specifically remember a game against GW where all the ushers had big east buttons on their red blazers and cheered for GW.

I also remember pc fans saying they wouldn't go to our "home" games there because they couldn't sit in their regular seats.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

one of the better memories during those PCC games was when Silk and Tommy ran Gordie Chiesa's team off the court -- i think we won by 25, their fans left at halftime. Great memory.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramfan85 wrote:
I also remember pc fans saying they wouldn't go to our "home" games there because they couldn't sit in their regular seats.
Awww..poor things. Let me take out my small violin and play for them. What an atrocity for not having their seats for one game! Just shows you how some of their fan base acts.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

The most embarassing memory was when Gavitt decided to hold the ball against us for the whole game. I think we won by 33. I actually felt badly for the pc players. They all looked disgusted during the game. Unfortunately, they beat us a few weeks later.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I like how your fond memories are from 25-35 years ago.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i like how you have nothing better to do than troll the URI message board non stop. #thatshitcray
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:i like how you have nothing better to do than troll the URI message board non stop. #thatshitcray

I abhor the word "hashtag" (and "selfie"), but have to say... you just made my DAY with #thatshitcray
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

BAR,

You aren't young enough to hashtag things or use "cray"

#actyouragenotyourshoesize
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

thx TS...sean why are you here again? #goaway
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

seanmc94 wrote:BAR,

You aren't young enough to hashtag things or use "cray"

#actyouragenotyourshoesize

Well, in that case, you would be about a men's size 7-8. And you know what they say about men with small feet. :D
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

#prince
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

close; size 9.5...

what do they say about people who impersonate celebrities on message boards?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Total posts: 998

Only two more posts Water Boy, and you will reach the 1,000 post plateau on the URI Message Board. Once again, #thatshitcray #friartownisboringiguess
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

namecalling...the last resort of those with ZERO argument
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

seanmc94 wrote:close; size 9.5...

what do they say about people who impersonate celebrities on message boards?

I knew you were trouble when you walked in.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Now I'll be looking for a TS song about sean.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

what's to argue? u haven't offered a compelling insight or comment in years on this thread or any others, all you do is police the threads for PC banter. you add zero value.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Seriously 1000 posts on our forum!!! What a TOOL!!!!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

+1000
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney