Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Where Are They Now? Former player results for 2012-2013

Unread post by STC »

Dai-Jon Parker, former ESPN top 100 Baron recruit having a solid game on ESPNU.

Funny how Baron couldn't close the deal in February or with big time recruits.

Thank goodness for Hurley!!! Hope he never leaves!

Parker so far has 12 pts 3rbs 3 asts 1 stl
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Wish the best for Orion always felt he had better potential than what he played to in a Rhody uniform, some games dominant some non-existant. Hopefully he gets a shot to prove himself in the bigs.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

He has dominated the Greek league he is playing in. Was named an all star and MVP of the all star game. He is averaging 16.2 points, 9 rebounds, 1.8 blocks
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jonathan Holton's last 3 games:
1/24/2013
Coming off of their first loss of the season after a school record 20 straight wins the Panthers responded on the road Wednesday night defeating Broward for the second time in as many tries, 77-56. Palm Beach placed 4 players in double figure scoring with Aaron Terry leading the way with 18 followed by Jonathan Holton and Magnus Lunde Engen with 13 and Kevin Thomas with 12. Holton and Thomas each collected a double - double as they had 15 and 10 rebounds respectively while they both impacted the game on the interior defense as they had 7 and 4 blocks each. The Panthers, who dropped to #5 in the National Polls this week moved their overall record to 21-1 and 3-1 in the conference.

1/17/2013
On the week that the Panthers obtained a #1 State ranking and a #2 National ranking (the highest in the school's history) they were defeated on the road by Brevard in Melbourne on Wednesday evening. The Panthers were held to one of their lowest scoring outputs of the season as they went down to the hosts 73-66. Indicative of their low score Palm Beach had only 1 player score in double figures as Jonathan Holton collected a game high 27 points, 19 rebounds and 2 steals. The loss drops the Panthers to 20-1 overall and 2-1 in the Southern Conference.

1/15/2013
Florida's #1 ranked 2 year college team went on the road for the first time in Southern Conference play and escaped with a 78-71 victory over Indian River State College in Ft. Pierce on Monday night. Leading the way for the Panthers was sophomore Jonathan Holton with 22 points and 14 rebounds. Freshmen Carrington Ward and Paul Jones had 20 points and 10 points respectively while Ward dished out 5 assists and had 2 steals. The win is the 20th in a row for the Panthers and they are 2-0 in Southern Conference play. The #3 ranked team in the United States, the Panthers will take to the road again Wednesday when they face conference rival Brevard in Melbourne for a 7pm tipoff.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Too bad Holton had his head up his butt.
Imagine how this years team would have been
with him in the lineup, with good coaching?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Even if Holton had stayed, he might be gone by now. He never struck as the type of player who would buy into the Hurley system.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

agreed Rod, our big weakness this year is on the boards and Holton led the A10 in Offensive Rebounding as Freshman.
Billy Baron had 9 rebounds last night for Canisius playing Point Guard. Both of these guys were strong. Baron an excellent rebounder for a guard and Holton dominant on the boards. We don't have the strength this year.
I would love to have seen Hurley Coach this year's team with those 2 guys.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote:agreed Rod, our big weakness this year is on the boards and Holton led the A10 in Offensive Rebounding as Freshman.
Billy Baron had 9 rebounds last night for Canisius playing Point Guard. Both of these guys were strong. Baron an excellent rebounder for a guard and Holton dominant on the boards. We don't have the strength this year.
I would love to have seen Hurley Coach this year's team with those 2 guys.
That's the team he thought he was going to have. It's not always clear working backwards, but that probably would have meant Baron/Holton over Bigby/Onyekaba, I think. Better this year? That's a pretty easy no-brainer yes, but it couldn't happen. Regardless, I really like this team going forward.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Too bad Sponge didnt buy in, if he let Hurley coach him up we probably have a few more wins right now
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reef wrote:Too bad Sponge didnt buy in, if he let Hurley coach him up we probably have a few more wins right now
That was never an option, remember?
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I read that Shengalia will be playing at Albany next year.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

It would have been hard for Holton to "buy in" after he was expelled from URI. I doubt Hurley is concerned about him or Billy Baron. Hurley is looking to next year and the year after. He's not worried about winning this season.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ramblinrose wrote:It would have been hard for Holton to "buy in" after he was expelled from URI. I doubt Hurley is concerned about him or Billy Baron. Hurley is looking to next year and the year after. He's not worried about winning this season.
I agree with the general sentiment Rosie, but I've seen dan hurley. Hurley only wants winning. Yesterday, today, tomorrow. Never seen a guy hate losing so badly. That's just awesome for us moving forward.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

In the article in another thread, Hurley laments not having the roster
he thought he was getting when he was hired.
Surely, he was looking at Holton as his number one holdover, and Billy as a steady
scorer.
Having Holton and Baron on this team, would have made a huge difference.
Hurley burns to win.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

and starting next yr we will win and then the sky is the limit
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

"Team West clinched the victory in the LegaDue All-Star Game. It was held tonight in Vigevano. Delroy James (203-F-87, college: Rhode Island) scored 29 points to pace his team to the victory. He was named the MVP after the contest."

http://www.eurobasket.com/Italy/basketb ... sID=306341
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Nice, Del!!

Del is supposed to be a guest next Saturday night @ 7pm ET on the Rhode Island Rams Internet Call-In Show.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Billy dropped 33 yesterday in Canisius' 77-70 win @Niagara. 11-22FG, 4-8 3PT, 7-8 FT. Good %s across the board, 50%/50%/88%. As GBG would say, THOSE are the kind of numbers we need X to be putting up ;-)
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Maybe if X was playing Niagara instead of VCU and Butler, he would.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Agreed Rod, but you may be wasting your time trying to apply reason, sound thinking, and the eyeball test to the debate on whether X is an All-A10 player or a useless selfish shot-chucker.

In any case, I do still with Billy had stayed at URI. Couldn't be happier to be rid of his dad, but I liked Billy as a player and think he would have helped out immensely this year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agreed, sf. It would have given us another scoring option, which could have meant
a few wins in all those close game we've had.
Again, if he and Holton had stayed, how much different things would have
been today?
I think 15-18 wins would have been realistic, with two more double figure scorers, and a
top rebounder.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Seems to me that Billy is taking too many shots.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I would be very happy with a guard shooting 50% from the field, and from 3. Shoot more!
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ramfan85 wrote:Seems to me that Billy is taking too many shots.
40% from 3. 85% from the line. 2+ shots less than X on a higher tempo team.

Also, my head exploded when I read Rod wondered what Holton could have done with Hurley coaching him. Now, Hurley is Pete Newell. Too funny. Mediocre college point guard and his All-American bro are awesome big man coaches now. Good stuff. Have you seen Hare and Aaman get any better? Me neither. Although, how can you get better watching X dribble it around the perimeter all day. I think Saint Danny should take his squad to the Newport Marriott and cut the power. Probably his best coaching move all year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

dude go away, you cant possibly be a fan so why are you here so much. you clearly have an axe to grind, more likely with life vs DH. good riddance.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree 100% BAR. This guy is no Ram fan. At least not the URI variety.
Since post #one, he's ground his axe about Hurley.
Every post denigrates him, but he throws in some passive aggressive bullshit to
cover himself.
Where have we seen this writing style before?
Guess according to this MENSA candidate, we shouldn't recruit bigmen, because the Hurley's were point guards.
Coach K, Rick Pitino, Jim Harrick and a host of others who were college PGs must only have guards on their teams.
And God forbid they weren't stars in college!
What a goof!
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:dude go away, you cant possibly be a fan so why are you here so much. you clearly have an axe to grind, more likely with life vs DH. good riddance.
Listen, man, people take pot shots at my comments all the time and I will respond. I have no problem with DH. Seems like a good guy and a refreshing face of the program. I happen to be able to be a fan and be critical off what progress (good and bad) is being made. It's how most people with any success in life go about it. Keep an ongoing honest evaluation of everything and try to make it better. I have a problem with some of what I have seen so far. If you have read what I have written, you would know that there are plenty of positives, too. I'd rather have the mediocre coach who can get players than the master tactician who brings in scrubs. Easier to win that way. It's also possible to get better at Xs and Os. So, I have hope. I am hopeful for the future. At the same time, there are red flags out there. If you want to be an ostrich and think he is the second coming, have at it.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Agree 100% BAR. This guy is no Ram fan. At least not the URI variety.
Since post #one, he's ground his axe about Hurley.
Every post denigrates him, but he throws in some passive aggressive bullshit to
cover himself.
Where have we seen this writing style before?
Guess according to this MENSA candidate, we shouldn't recruit bigmen, because the Hurley's were point guards.
Coach K, Rick Pitino, Jim Harrick and a host of others who were college PGs must only have guards on their teams.
And God forbid they weren't stars in college!
What a goof!
Ha. Funny stuff. College PGs can be good big man coaches. Assuming they are is the tricky part. K has proven it. Pitino has proven it. Harrick has. Hurley has not.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Gonebarongone wrote:Hurley has not.
I actually disagree with you here, GBG. I think Hurley HAS demonstrated that he can (marginally, at least) improve big men. You mentioned a lack of improvement from Hare (legitimate), but I think Aaman has greatly improved from the beginning of the year and has been somewhat effective, even as he recovers from injury. You also overlooked Brooks, who has in some instances actually provided useful minutes on this team. Any one who had watched him his previous three years would realize what a minor miracle that is.
Last edited by sf2010 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

I have no problem with DH...but I derisively refer to him as Saint Daniel. Is that about right, Gonebaron? It's all about perception. Those who want respect give respect.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Also, Hare and Aaman are both freshman. Saying that they have or have not improved is extremely premature at this stage in their development. Most believe that the largest improvement comes between Freshman and Sophomore years, so I'll withhold judgment until that time.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
bigappleram wrote:dude go away, you cant possibly be a fan so why are you here so much. you clearly have an axe to grind, more likely with life vs DH. good riddance.
Listen, man, people take pot shots at my comments all the time and I will respond. I have no problem with DH. Seems like a good guy and a refreshing face of the program. I happen to be able to be a fan and be critical off what progress (good and bad) is being made. It's how most people with any success in life go about it. Keep an ongoing honest evaluation of everything and try to make it better. I have a problem with some of what I have seen so far. If you have read what I have written, you would know that there are plenty of positives, too. I'd rather have the mediocre coach who can get players than the master tactician who brings in scrubs. Easier to win that way. It's also possible to get better at Xs and Os. So, I have hope. I am hopeful for the future. At the same time, there are red flags out there. If you want to be an ostrich and think he is the second coming, have at it.
He's in his first year working with 8 scholarship players that with the exception of Powell and Munford are most likely role and glue guys. Give the guy a break and let him get all the players he needs and the talent he needs (like next year). He's not a miracle worker.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

GBG, enough with the "i am a critical fan" BS....you arent. you are a passive aggressive weirdo stalking the message board of a team you dont root for. its just weird.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:GBG, enough with the "i am a critical fan" BS....you arent. you are a passive aggressive weirdo stalking the message board of a team you dont root for. its just weird.
Do you know what passive aggressive means? I think I am pretty open with my thoughts. Nothing passive about it. From day one, I have said that I liked the hire, he will recruit well, he will be a good face of the program. I was not, however, going to assume he could develop players or coach in game. I was open either way. Over the course of the year, I am disappointed in the results of those two facets.
What is wrong with stating a position and updating an opinion based on what you see and the facts? I actually think that I am just as passionate as a guy like Rod. I think he is a great fan. Would probably have a good conversation about hoops if we were at a bar. Just two different ways to look at things. But this whole "go back to your board!" only happens when someone is critical. Ever wonder why?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

GBG, I know you're an intelligent guy. Plus we've discussed other things in a civil manner.
I think what grates people is the kind of backhanded shots you've given Hurley since you came on this board
sometime after the season began.
This board has been in existance for some time before that.
It's,"I like Hurley, but.......He can't do this, and doesn't do that, blah, blah, blah". Doesn't sound like a fan, who calls the guy a mediocre player, who can't coach bigmen (look at his St. Benedict's bigs that he coached) can't manage game end situation, sucks at Xs and Os.
Sure doesn't sound like someone who is "passionate" about our program.
I couldn't stand Baron from day one and made no secret of it. I stopped going to games last year.
I have returned, bouyed by the hired of Dan Hurley, his great staff and the committment of Dr. Dooley and Thorr Bjorn.
This may all be a house of cards, or it could succeed. None of us knows the answer. We only hope we do.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Bottomline, if given the choice to keep Billy Baron but be subjected to another year of the Jim Baron led Rams or bring in Dan Hurley, it would be unanimous for Hurley.

Also, I'm sick of people (well mostly GBG) whining and complaining about X taking too many shots, having a low FG % etc. WHO DO YOU WANT TO SHOOT? This team has one scorer and that's X! Even on bad teams somebody has to shoot the rock. Do you see what happens when Brooks and Bigby touch the ball? Let X, Malone, and Nik keep chucking, they are all we got offensively this year.

I guess I should find it refreshing that were discussing X as opposed to smashing my head through a wall watching Baron ball.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Tristan Thompson alone is a better bigman then anyone PC has rolled out there in 20 years. I think his name alone gives credence to DH. Hurley has coached NBA talent, not guys fighting for a job, but guys teams are actually fighting for. Odom is our only guy like that in a long time.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Gonebarongone wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:Seems to me that Billy is taking too many shots.
40% from 3. 85% from the line. 2+ shots less than X on a higher tempo team.

Also, my head exploded when I read Rod wondered what Holton could have done with Hurley coaching him. Now, Hurley is Pete Newell. Too funny. Mediocre college point guard and his All-American bro are awesome big man coaches now. Good stuff. Have you seen Hare and Aaman get any better? Me neither. Although, how can you get better watching X dribble it around the perimeter all day. I think Saint Danny should take his squad to the Newport Marriott and cut the power. Probably his best coaching move all year.
I was being sarcastic. But, didn't you say in an earlier post that one player taking all those shots impedes the development of the rest of the team?
Billy has good stats. But, does anyone think that he wouldn't still be shooting even if he was missing?
I think Hurley is doing what he has to do this year to score some points. I'm sure future teams will be more balanced.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Congrats Billy B with his 33

Gotta be a career high ??
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

I've found that over this season there has been a back and forth over whether Billy or X is the better player. First of all, we weren't given that choice as Billy chose to leave the team. I'm sure everyone including DH himself would've preferred keeping Billy around even if it was only for one year as a major role.

That being said on a team where ball movement is a problem and has been all season, and systematically we are running down shot clocks to keep the number of opportunities for the other team down so to not get in a back and forth with teams (we do not have the talent to keep scoring and if the tempo is too fast we do not have the depth) X has single handedly kept us in games this season. I'm not saying he's NBA caliber but the best option this team has right now. If the play breaks down he or Andre should have the ball as the shot clock ticks under 10 seconds because both can create off of the dribble. Coach Hurley has done a great job from a coaching standpoint of working with what he has this season and I can't wait to see what he does with the team next year with the talent. You can't learn that much from his coaching in Yr. 1 and it is an unfinished product, next year and the year after will determine what he is able to bring to the table much more than this year.

This is why talking about why Billy Baron is the better player makes no difference as a URI fan because he made his choice to move on. Congrats to him on his scoring and I hope they are good as I could see a OOC matchup in the years to come.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well a little research shows, Thompson made his best progress at St. Benedicts, but
he left Hurley and St. Benedicts on bitter terms:

"Thompson spent his sophomore and half his junior year at St. Benedict's, making an immediate impact and showing flashes of brilliance throughout the way.[5] In his short time at St. Benedict's, he shot through the ranks to super-stardom, becoming the top recruit in the nation entering his junior season.[6] The top basketball programs in the nation heavily sought Thompson, who made the first verbal commitment of the class of 2010 to Rick Barnes and the Texas Longhorns.[7]

21 games into his junior year, the relationship between Thompson and then-St. Benedict's coach-Dan Hurley hit a rough patch. Hurley's in-your-face, no holds barred coaching style took a toll on the young star. During a game against then-top-ranked Mater Dei, Hurley confronted Thompson during a time out. A heated debate ensued, and Thompson was sent off the court and later removed from the team."
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well a little research shows, Thompson made his best progress at St. Benedicts, but
he left Hurley and St. Benedicts on bitter terms:

"Thompson spent his sophomore and half his junior year at St. Benedict's, making an immediate impact and showing flashes of brilliance throughout the way.[5] In his short time at St. Benedict's, he shot through the ranks to super-stardom, becoming the top recruit in the nation entering his junior season.[6] The top basketball programs in the nation heavily sought Thompson, who made the first verbal commitment of the class of 2010 to Rick Barnes and the Texas Longhorns.[7]

21 games into his junior year, the relationship between Thompson and then-St. Benedict's coach-Dan Hurley hit a rough patch. Hurley's in-your-face, no holds barred coaching style took a toll on the young star. During a game against then-top-ranked Mater Dei, Hurley confronted Thompson during a time out. A heated debate ensued, and Thompson was sent off the court and later removed from the team."
Yeah, but they're good now.

Samardo Samuels was a lot of fun to watch at St. Benedict's, too.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Not a former player, but a former coach: Skerry has Towson in second place in CAA. Won't be long before his name comes up for better jobs. Pat is very ambitious. He has now done at Towson what Hurley did at Wagner: took a team from the bottom to near the top in two years.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Impressive, as Towson was absolute garbage just a few yrs ago.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Good for Skerry, nice to see former assistants do well (even if he jumped to PC)

He is now just one of the many branches of the illustrious Jim Baron and Keno Davis coaching trees.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Impressive, as Towson was absolute garbage just a few yrs ago.
Actually garbage just last year.

Year before last: 4-26
Last year: 1-31
This year: 15-13 and 10-5 in conference with games against Drexel (H), Georgia Mason (A) and Hofstra (H) remaining\
Transfer from PC Bilal Dixon rebounding well for Towson
Transfer from Georgetown is their best player
Towson has a good chance in the end of season tournament in the CAA which only has 7 ot it's teams eligible for the Championship
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I also believe former URI assistant Kevin Clark is one of Skerry's assistants at Towson now.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

And people here were harping on about how he wouldn't succeed when he took the job...
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

RhodeIslandBred wrote:I've found that over this season there has been a back and forth over whether Billy or X is the better player. First of all, we weren't given that choice as Billy chose to leave the team. I'm sure everyone including DH himself would've preferred keeping Billy around even if it was only for one year as a major role.

That being said on a team where ball movement is a problem and has been all season, and systematically we are running down shot clocks to keep the number of opportunities for the other team down so to not get in a back and forth with teams (we do not have the talent to keep scoring and if the tempo is too fast we do not have the depth) X has single handedly kept us in games this season. I'm not saying he's NBA caliber but the best option this team has right now. If the play breaks down he or Andre should have the ball as the shot clock ticks under 10 seconds because both can create off of the dribble. Coach Hurley has done a great job from a coaching standpoint of working with what he has this season and I can't wait to see what he does with the team next year with the talent. You can't learn that much from his coaching in Yr. 1 and it is an unfinished product, next year and the year after will determine what he is able to bring to the table much more than this year.

This is why talking about why Billy Baron is the better player makes no difference as a URI fan because he made his choice to move on. Congrats to him on his scoring and I hope they are good as I could see a OOC matchup in the years to come.
I agree that it doesn't matter. Obviously, Rhody would have been better with both and I think X is actually better suited to not be the lead guy. If he had a little more space to work with, I think X could really take off as a player. I hope this happens next year. For sake of comparison, BB has an offensive efficiency rating of 113.3 and X is 95.4. These numbers are normalized for strength of competition.
0 x