Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Believe it or not, there was a Providence Steamroller team in both the NFL and the NBA.
Imagine, we had an NFL Championship team in Providence!
"The Providence Steam Roller (also referred to as the Providence Steam Rollers, the Providence Steamroller and the Providence Steamrollers) was a professional American football team based in Providence, Rhode Island in the National Football League from 1925 to 1931. Providence was the first New England team to win an NFL championship. The Steam Roller won the league's championship in 1928. They are the last team to win a championship and no longer be in the league. Most of their home games were played in a 10,000-seat stadium that was built for bicycle races called the Cycledrome."
There was a Providence Steamroller team that played in the Continental League in the early to mid 60"s. They
played at Mt. Pleasent Stadium.
The NBA team was 1946-1949, and was the last franchise that Rhode Island was associated with in one of the four
major leagues. Ernie Calverley played for them, among others.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Keaney.Blue wrote:Woah it's like a Rhody Reunion on that team! I'm going to have to make it to a game of theirs in NYC.
Maybe they'll sign you to a 1 day contract so you can get some run in with the guys!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Rod was the guy holding the first down markers in that 1928 title game.....I was selling popcorn in the stands.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyram81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyram81 »

Great Rhode Island sports trivia related to the NBA Steamrollers - perhaps one of the only guys to have participated in 3 major league sports was Pawtucket's own Hank Soar. Hank was a long time American League umpire (1950 to 71), was a halfback (9 seasons) for an NFL championship New York Football Giants in 1938 in which he caught the game winning TD pass and coach of the NBA Providence Steamrollers in 1947.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

and not to take anything away from Hank Soar, but, I believe he was a PC alum.
0 x
rhodyram81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyram81 »

Yes Hank went to PC but coached football at Rhody for a while in the late 40's when we were still RI State.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

McRam wrote:and not to take anything away from Hank Soar, but, I believe he was a PC alum.
He did go to PC. My dad knew both Soar and Birdie Tebbetts from his time as a student at PC.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Shouldn't we move Soar and Tebbetts to the PC criminal thread ?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Rod: Good summation of the NFL Steam Roller.my dad played one season for a semi-pro version maybe around 1940. Might have played longer except for WWII.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Orion Outerbridge to SkyChiefs

EDIT: took down the link due to many people's distaste for GoLocalProv
Last edited by Ram1019 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I loved to go to the games of the 60's version of the Steamrollers team. Two of my cousins played for them. They may have had a few games at Cranston Stadium. I know they often practiced there. They had some talented players on those teams.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Shoot it, X

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ha, nice one.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It always seemed to me that the higher degree of difficulty the more of a chance that X would hit the shot. A wide open jumper was his enemy.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

CFL invades Rutgers! People stand in line for his autograph!

http://www.app.com/videos/sports/college/rutgers/2015/02/13/23347023/
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So funny, Rod.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Massive game for Mike Aaman today, 20 points and 23 boards.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wow! Always liked his game.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I was a little buzzed last night, but I'm fairly certain I saw a young lad on WVU putting in work against Kansas last night. #1 Jonathan Holton.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Aaman was a bigger loss than people think.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Iggy1979 wrote:Aaman was a bigger loss than people think.
I disagree. Aaman seems like a nice kid but he's not an A10-quality player. Even playing in the Northeast Conference, he's shooting 36.4% from the field this year and that's almost all on lay-ups, presumably. He certainly isn't better than Earl, so I fail to see where he would be getting minutes on this team. He'd be on the bench next to Iffy.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I like Aaman and all and this is not meant to be a knock on him, but I think this is another case of lamenting over someone who isn't here anymore or who could have been here. Sure he'd get some minutes here and there, but I don't think he'd be making any real noticeable difference.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Aaman had a couple double doubles for us. He could've given great energy off the bench and had a really nice impact I think.
I hate that Ifeanyi hasn't gotten out there and done much for us
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I will always worry about this guy... 3 or 4 or 7 concussions can all be too many. I don't want to speak poorly about anyone or really even get into this, but it seems not quite accurate that he had no concussions before college.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/01/sport ... ports&_r=0
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I always liked Mike, and wish he was still with us, but I am always nervous when hearing about the effects of concussions later in life.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URIGONZO wrote:I was a little buzzed last night, but I'm fairly certain I saw a young lad on WVU putting in work against Kansas last night. #1 Jonathan Holton.
He ended with a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds against Kansas. He even went 2-4 on 3 pointers.played all 40 minutes, typically has been in foul trouble and usually early.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

For those interested, just the latest updated info link on Mr. X……………..

http://dleague.nba.com/player/xavier-munford/
0 x
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

Appologies for commenting on an old subject. I just happened on this thread and saw the above comments on the Providence Steamrollers. In 1959 when I was a sopohmore in high school, my father took me down to Portland to see the Portland Seahawks and Providence Steamrollers play for the "mythical" New England semi pro championships. It was the largest crowd ever to watch a pro sporting match in Maine at that time. (12,000+-) The Sea Hawks won the game with a couple of home grown "ringers" salvaged from the Boston Patriots - New York Titans trash heap. It was a very exciting experience before a very vocal crowd.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Love watching Xavier light it up. D-league looks so sad, though. I wonder if it's worth spending prime years of your career in D-league when you can make some very legit money overseas.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's probably worth it for a year or two, hoping that it's easier to catch someone's eye in the D League. After that, yeah it's probably best to go over to Europe for the money.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:It's probably worth it for a year or two, hoping that it's easier to catch someone's eye in the D League. After that, yeah it's probably best to go over to Europe for the money.
The European leagues and the Chinese Basketball League also have scouts attending NBADL games, so, players aren't hurt except when it comes to finances by playing in the NBADL for a year or two. There has been some talk that the player's NBA association is going to push for 1-to-1 NBADL-to-NBA affiliation in the next collective bargaining agreement, as well as requiring that all draft choices receive at least a minimum contract offer (1Y for $300k-ish) to try and end the practice of teams stashing players in overseas leagues.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

an old "friend" in the news

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Thought about creating a sep thread for this....

Nah.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/28/the-unspok ... a-tourney/
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wow! Cuts right to the point.
Guess other share my view on Calipari rubbing it in
on opponents, and not putting his scrubs in, despite
gigantic leads.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thx for sharing. 3 very good points in that piece. Didn't know about #3. Coach Cal is a loser for not emptying his bench.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cal wanted to punish West Virginia for the comments made before the game.

After the game, it didn't seem like Huggins had an issue with it though.

I've seen coach K do this too. Just more arrogance. These guys don't care anyway.

They can do what they want, and their schools look the other way.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

The article fails to mention how much $$$ Rutgers gets for advancing in the tourney.
$500k is a big bonus; but who wrote the contract?
Don't hate on the coach, take the AD to task.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pretty brutal on Holton.
No argument of describing his past at all - it's all fact, but in the spirit of full disclosure and journalism he could have added that Holton has not had any issues since leaving URI two years ago, and he could mention that Holton made the Honor Role at West Virginia and is in good academic standing. He is about to complete two years at WVU.
I personally talked to Bobby Huggins about Holton the summer before last and he was happy to have him. I can't say what he really thought about the situation here but it was pretty interesting. If you ever get a chance to talk to Huggins do it - he's a pretty straight shooter and good guy.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

500k for a womens sweet sixteen appearance. Do they have NCAA credits for women's basketball?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

ramster wrote:Pretty brutal on Holton.
No argument of describing his past at all - it's all fact, but in the spirit of full disclosure and journalism he could have added that Holton has not had any issues since leaving URI two years ago, and he could mention that Holton made the Honor Role at West Virginia and is in good academic standing. He is about to complete two years at WVU.
I personally talked to Bobby Huggins about Holton the summer before last and he was happy to have him. I can't say what he really thought about the situation here but it was pretty interesting. If you ever get a chance to talk to Huggins do it - he's a pretty straight shooter and good guy.
2 years without a felony!!! He should get a medal. Good academic standing at WVU is like Jumbo shrimp or Military intelligence. Huggins is one of the biggest scum bags in sports. Graduated 30% scholly athletes during his time at Cincy. Had no problem recruiting thugs and criminals, so I'm not surprised at all that he likes Holton.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Exactly Sean!! Thx for saving me from typing that.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

seanmc94 wrote:
ramster wrote:Pretty brutal on Holton.
2 years without a felony!!! He should get a medal. Good academic standing at WVU is like Jumbo shrimp or Military intelligence. Huggins is one of the biggest scum bags in sports. Graduated 30% scholly athletes during his time at Cincy. Had no problem recruiting thugs and criminals, so I'm not surprised at all that he likes Holton.
So no mention of one thing good about the kid. Why even bring all this stuff up 2 years later - why do you have to run the kid down? All this came out 2 years ago but let's dridge it all up all over again just in case anyone forgot.

And don't tell me the State University of West Virginia is not a good academic school. Based on the fact it is West Virginia?

Here is my main point................
IF you are going to trash Holton or any kid for that matter, take any kid that has had problems in the past at PC,
IF you are going to write an article like that you could at LEAST paint the whole picture. To me leaving out any word of anything positive at all about the kid is disappointing. If he is on the Honor List then why not mention that? Maybe he is straightening his life around, maybe he has made strides since URI, then again maybe he hasn't but this writer would never know because this writer just dug up history from the internet and never talked to the kid, the coach or anyone at West Virginia.

Just a hater.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Author is rightfully calling out NCAA and it's paid media partners for crafting positive stories, however incomplete.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Excellent response, ramster, to the less than gracious PC name calling.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:Excellent response, ramster, to the less than gracious PC name calling.
Thank you!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Wasn't that big a fan of that article.
The point about coach Cal being an asshole for not playing the walk ons is an old point to make. Some coaches like the better players to play the full game for whatever reason. And the walk ons are there to be practice players. Not to play really. I think it can go either way.
I would play the players but to have that strong opinion about it calling coach cal a piece of shit for it is a little silly to me.
And what do they expect the people from CBS to be like
"Holton, was expelled from Rhode Island before he got to West Virginia. He filmed himself having sex with two chicks and distributed the video on Facebook without their consent. And has had other run ins with the law."
No need to open up a can of diarrhea and pour it all over the game like that.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote:Wasn't that big a fan of that article.
The point about coach Cal being an asshole for not playing the walk ons is an old point to make. Some coaches like the better players to play the full game for whatever reason. And the walk ons are there to be practice players. Not to play really. I think it can go either way.
I would play the players but to have that strong opinion about it calling coach cal a piece of shit for it is a little silly to me.
And what do they expect the people from CBS to be like
"Holton, was expelled from Rhode Island before he got to West Virginia. He filmed himself having sex with two chicks and distributed the video on Facebook without their consent. And has had other run ins with the law."
No need to open up a can of diarrhea and pour it all over the game like that.
Especially when the story is from 2 years ago. 2 months ago maybe but the story is old.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Mushnik is a well known shit-stirrer.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Xavier Munford starting at PG for the Bakersfield Jam tonight on ESPNU in the first round of the NBDL playoffs.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The weirdest thing re: Holton/WVU that I didn't see brought up here is that during the WVU/Maryland game, Huggins' daughters were tweeting rape jokes about Dez Wells who landed at Maryland after being implicated in a situation at Xavier. Many felt Wells was treated unfairly by Xavier, and he ended up at Maryland. Do you think Huggins' daughters are unaware of Holton's past? Seems unlikely. So it just makes them and, by extension, West Virginia look really trashy. Which, well, it is West Virginia so who can be surprised.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011