Game #1: Norfolk State - In-Game

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #1: Norfolk State - In-Game

Unread post by rambone 78 »

One problem this team is going to have, playing the better teams, is that the intense focus on playing defense is going to wear them out due to the lack of depth. No matter how good a shape they are in.

That will affect the offense late in games, as we saw tonight. Can also cause the FT shooting to fall off, again as we saw tonight.

Having the big O eligible would help. A lot.

Oh well. On nights the shots are falling, this team will pull off a few surprises. But the reality is, just not enough quality bodies out there. Yet.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Mumford was 3-19, team shot 28 percent. Ugly.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

These guys are going to take their lumps early this season. The out of conference schedule is brutal. It wouldn't surprise me if they went 1-4 to start the season. I expect them to get even better as the season goes on.
Defense was good during today's game. They just came out flat and with less energy in the second half. You almost wish they didn't have half time because they were on a pretty good roll. There was some good basketball being played tonight. Brooks played well...I couldn't believe my eyes. It was shocking. Aaman has a high motor. I was surprised he didn't get more minutes in the second half.
All in all they should be a tough team to beat when entering conference play.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Just got home.
To me, a disappointing crowd, for Hurley's first game and on a Friday night.
Team plays their fannies off, always hustling. Defense is great, with a couple of lapses.
Offense? Wow! So many shots going in and out. Horrible free throw shooting, particularly by Nik and Aaman.
9-20. is pretty stinky.
What bothered me was towards the end, it looked like everything the coaches instilled in the players, went out the window.
Powell played a very nice game, but suddenly, it was dribble, dribble, dribble, drive into the lane, head down, with nowhere to go.
Nik, technical foul. Played a nice game, except for missing a slew of free throws in the last quarter of the game.
Aaman is an animal. Works and works. Brooks played fine game, hustling, rebounding and blocking shots.
Munford was awful. He had three shots just pop out on him. Played good defense.
Malone, same thing. Shots just not dropping.
Hare? Non factor all night. I don't get how CBSSports said top 30 freshman. There just so much missing in his game at this point.
I'm sure he'll improve, but my dog weighs more than him.
We got abused inside in the second half. Any team with a decent frontline is going to kill us.
On offense, nice crisp passes, no dumb shots.
A winnable game, for sure, much closer than the final score would indicate.
Unless the Big O becomes eligible, it's going to be a long year.
We have zero inside offense.
I'm sure Hurley will have guys working on free throws tomorrow.
All in all, a well coached, hustling team, short on talent. All of which we already knew.
Oh, and can we get some Nijas to kidnap that obnoxious PA announcer? Sounds like a frigging carnival barker!
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

rod free throws were bad 19 for 30 as a team, Powell and Aaman hurt us there (7 of 11 misses)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

lack of talent and lack of depth

everyone is going to have to be very patient

you have to look at the little things and enjoy the subtle changes b/c the big change in terms of Ws wont happen until next year

if anyone significant gets hurt, if we get in foul trouble, if the opposing team is strong in the front court we are basically doomed. that's a reality, no coach could change that.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm not as optimistic as some of you. Norfolk State did not look like a very good team to me. The effort was definitely there. The kids played hard. There's just not enough talent this year. At least 2 of the 3 Ms have to have their shot going if we're going to win. Tonight, only one of the Ms did. As far as the crowd, I guess it depends where you were sitting. I was in 206 and the place sounded dead to me. Maybe if you were closer to the students in 101, it sounded a little noisier. Let's put it this way. The loudest it got all night was when they were shooting T-shirts into the crowd. Sorry to be the voice of gloom and doom, but that's how I saw it. What I hope for is to see improvement as the year goes on until the transfer talent is eligible and the kids arrive from Mich and NY next year. Then I will expect a lot more.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Post-game pressers now up: http://patch.com/A-z0hS
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I personally thought everything in the game flowed from the lack of height. With no consistent post option, you had to rely solely on the motion offense to get guys open for jumpers. Yeah, Malone and Munford missed some open shots, but they have just as many contested looks coming at the end of the shot clock. I'm not sure how you fix that without someone who can score a bit inside, to keep the defense honest.

I liked what I saw from Aaman. Hare flashed talent, but he's really raw, and Hurley specifically mentioned him as a guy who had the talent to be an All-Conference player IF he applies himself in practice. The defensive effort and attention was about a thousand times better. Specifically, Malone had a great sequence where he deflected a NS player's dribble. The player recovered, but Malone stayed with the play and intercepted a panic pass, which led to a Rhody layup, IIRC. Stuff like that is good to see.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I sit in 214 near the students. They made plenty of noise.
As far as noise goes, not to sound snarky, but, I felt young going to
URI games the past two weeks.
I think some of our fans knew James Naismith. It's why they don't stand during
introductions.
9-20 free throw shooting in the second half was a killer.
Nik, especially had chances to tie the game or put us ahead. Missed two one and ones, which only count as two misses, but could have been four
points.
Our margin for error is so razor thin, that free throws become even more important than usual.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thanks for posting those videos. Hare must really be struggling in practice. Every time his name is brought up Hurley talks about that.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Just got back to central MA...yes they worked hard, but the shots did not fall. They will live and die by the jump shot. Not enough talent or bodies...will wear out late in games. But I did like the movement on offense and can see this will be awesome to watch when we have the talent and bodies.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

With Hare, I just don't see game there.
He can run. He moves well, but no offense at all.
Maybe he could dominate high schoolers, but NSU
has a decent 7 footer, who was a nightmare matchup all
night long.
Hare had three fouls, no points and no rebounds.
I hope The Big O can play center, because we're going to need him going forward.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:Thanks for posting those videos. Hare must really be struggling in practice. Every time his name is brought up Hurley talks about that.
I'm guessing that a kid who is 6"10" and can jump through the roof never had to work hard in practice when he was in high school. I don't know that for sure, just a guess. If that's the case, then it's the old "rude awakening" deal. It will be quite an adjusment for Jordan, especially with a coach who is as demanding as Hurley.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

In that case, one of two things will happen.
1. He learns, and works hard to improve his game, and becomes a major factor
in the URI program.
2. He chafes under the Hurley system, becomes disheartened and discouraged, and eventually just leaves.
Only time will tell the road he chooses.
The rubber is about to hit the road.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

This team really hustled. Unfortunately, there isn't much talent this year. My first look at Munford. I wasn't impressed. Maybe it was just a bad night for him. I've heard a lot of good things about him. Hare has a long way (and a lot of pounds) to go. I don't see him contributing much this year. Big front lines will push him all over the place. I don't get the feeling that he's completely on board with Hurley's work ethic.
Was disappointed to see NIK and Powell down the stretch. They looked like they did last year under "you know who."
They can't afford to miss the shots they did and expect to win.
Brooks played about as well as he can. But, with no front line, it's going to get ugly at times.
The coaching and effort was certainly there. The passing was crisp. Unlike last year, this team seems to know what they're supposed to do. They just don't have the talent yet.
Next year should be much better.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Whoever picked Nik as the bonus in the prediction contest with the highest average is off to a good start...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It WAS just a bad night for Munford. He's a player and if the Hurleys both continue to speak about how good he is, I tend to believe them and trust their judgment.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:It WAS just a bad night for Munford. He's a player and if the Hurleys both continue to speak about how good he is, I tend to believe them and trust their judgment.
I think Munford will be fine. He had a terrible shooting night, but he has a nice looking shot...if that makes sense. He rolled his ankle pretty good midway through the 2nd half. I hope it's not an issue going forward.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

One other stat stuck out for me. 4 guys played betweem 32-36 minutes. That's going to have to stay the same all year. We thought we had depth problems at the big positions. But, we're playing 3 different guys at the 5. That leaves only TJ and Bigby to back up the other 4 spots.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:One other stat stuck out for me. 4 guys played betweem 32-36 minutes. That's going to have to stay the same all year. We thought we had depth problems at the big positions. But, we're playing 3 different guys at the 5. That leaves only TJ and Bigby to back up the other 4 spots.
Hurley actually mentioned that he's used to playing his guys even more than 32 MPG - he wants them playing close to 38 minutes per game. If you're thinking of team construction from a theoretical level, it's easier to find five guys to play 35 minutes each, then one to three decent back-ups.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

x 3-19 ?? YUCK

Good to hear Aaman looks like a contributor
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Disapointing crowd of only 5000, expected more with first game of the season, new coach, NCAA Tournament team from last year, and a Friday night to boot
Quiet crowd, but that is more the rule anyway for URI games
Unfortunately I predicted this game as a win along with Vermont, Brown and @ Fordham for my 4 wins. Not sure now where another win might come from, maybe Duquesne or SMU, not sure. Sorry I am not in the crowd predicting double digit wins and some even high double digit..........I just don't see it. Losing Billy Baron and Jonathan Holton were big losses
The good:
- Munford is a player. He just had an off night but he has a nice release on his shot. Knows the game, plays both ends of the court as his 3 steals exemplify. He will be fun to watch this year, and will win over a lot of the fan base imho
- Nik is Nik, played well, worry about injuries and his temper with the refs but a good overall game
- Lot's of new faces. Competiton for playing time is obvious. AAman or Hare should both be starting over Brooks but clearly the practice performance and effort are playing a key role in who starts and who gets the PT. Good coaching strategy in what will be a lost season anyway

Other thoughts:
- Ouch, only 6 assists
- Powell looked like last year, too much dribbling, I expected more, seemed like nothing has changed
- Too little defense against the 3's. That was a glaring weakness last year as we continually played matador defense against the 3 - did not notice much of a change
- Brooks - zero points, had some easy inside rebound putback opportunities. Deja vu from prior years when he plays well the first few games including exhibitions but then..............I'd rather play the freshman this year, see what they've got. We already know what Brooks can do.
- Malone - shows flashes but not consistent, could be capable of some big games this year but we will have to wait and see
- Aaman - good energy for a freshman, shooting needs to improve in all areas
- TJ - solid defensively and a great leader, I hope that Munford and TJ end up our starting guards before too long.
- The freshmen and transfers need more minutes - likely will happen more as losses mount up but we should be building for next year with all of our Playiing time strategies
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I thought we played well but were missing a few pieces.

URI was the aggressor all game. Someone's been teaching them basic technique on rebounding and how to receive passes. I only saw one bad error all night (Nik moving away from a pass.)

Only 8 TOs while playing at a frenetic pace. My eyes got tired -where's Marquis Jones! A/TO is misleading when a team only shoots 28%. Mike Powell did a good job while his stat line doesn't show it.

We took 30 FTs; we need to make 75%. Ball movement was excellent forcing many fouls.

Really enjoyable watching URI play basketball again.

Aaman was the only reserve to score; he showed inside moves. No one else was effective inside.

I expected more from Hare, Bigby and TJ. TJ gets a pass coming off an injury.

Brooks is a defensive player only. Aaman should start even though he'll foul out quite a bit.

NSU players had more mature bodies. They bounced us around.

At this point Nik is our go-to guy. Yes, he's chippy; he doesn't take crap from defenders. Just leave it on the court Nik.

28% FG% - awful. XM forced too many shots because he couldn't create good shots himself and plays were not run to create outside shots for him.

At half-time I expected us to win. I was thinking that if this team gets a big upset win, they'll get some swagger and believe more in themselves.

Is it too loud everywhere or just where I'm seated? Fans absorb more sound than empty plastic seats. Baron got bigger early crowds following 2 years of JD; Baron killed our fan base and many, unlike myself, are going to take some convincing to return.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

First tip off of Hurley Era. View from our seats on the time line.

I know it is blurry but I used my iphone and had to snap it before it had finished auto-focusing.

I thought the team really hustled, but ran out of gas. When they were up in the first half, they were able to play their game. When they went down early in the second half, they struggled playing from behind.

They will make more shots than they did last night. You could tell Munford's confidence was shaken by the end of the game. They abandoned trying to penetrate the paint. Hurley will get a very long leash to put this together, there were definitely some encouraging signs. And did I mention, the hustle?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I'm not totally concerned with the offense, I feel that it will come with time. They had good looks just struggled shooting, dingy forget this is a new offense with a lot of new faces. If we continue to struggle offensively the next few games my level of concern will grow.

Also loved watching Hurley working on the sidelines especially when it seemed like many times the refs couldn't count the 3+ steps the Norfolk State guys were taking
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

In that pic.. What's with the black curtain at mid court ?

Was that always there ?.. I thought it was more down the side..

But I guess I am wrong

I NEVER liked that.. Geez.. How much press do you need.. Put the students and fans around court side

It looks hideous also
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

It has been there but the Ryan Center is all about $$$ that's why all the students are in one area along the base line instead of in the 100s
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Thx twisted.. For some reason I thought it was more down the baseline .. My bad

Regardless.. Move them up top already.. Jeez... Or put them on 1 row

That black curtain looks atrocious
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Was it me, or did the guards seem to put up a ton of floaters in crowds, of which none went in...I'm not sure if they are not fast enough to get by defenders or what; but we had no layups all game. I'm not sure I remember a single turnover that lead to an easy transition basket. I actually found myself yelling for them to run when it looked like they may have a chance in transition, but the defense always seemed to be back.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

When Powell sat, X was the PG. hurleys don't see TJ as a PG. I thought TJ and Bigby would get more minutes.
NSU coach did the least amount of coaching I've ever seen.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Just a couple of player observations:

Don't forget, this is a mixture of guys that Hurley wouldn't have selected himself with a few sprinkled in that he did.

Aaman has "intangibles". He's not overly athletic but he has good awareness and smarts. He puts himself in positions where when the ball bounces his way, he capitalizes. He isn't "shocked" that the ball bounced right into his lap and then fumbles it, like some guys do. He is young, though, with a large but underdeveloped body (small arms in particular). In four years, it's not a stretch that he could be a Mark Madsen like player, which is encouraging. His play makes you want to like him.

Munford looks like he isn't used to the ball not falling his way. He started off strong but then kind of faded into the background by the last quarter of the game. The typical product of dominating inferior competition for so long. It will take some time before he gets used to the speed at this level. He will have a couple of humbling nights like this one, but he has the potential to be real good too, which will be frustrating.

Hare looks like he's strictly an offensive player, and the intensity of the practices and the games at this level, with the emphasis on D, has him a bit shellshocked. You could kind of see that coming. He doesn't exactly fit the profile of a guy Hurley would have chosen, but he needed the big body, so it's going to be square peg in round hole. I'm optimistic he'll come around over time. He pulled a Lamar Odom, and got two quick fouls in less than a min at the beginning of the game so they sat him (probably figuring they might need him at the end if they had a lot of guys in foul trouble).

TJ looked this way too. It looked he was seriously trying to play D out there, but when he was out there, the D on his man dipped considerably. He was matador a couple of times. Some of these guys are obviously struggling to fit into this system.

Malone looked brilliant at the beginning of the game. he showed flashes of the talent that a lot of scouting services were expecting years ago. He looks like he is going to contribute a good amount this year in this system. He came out like gangbusters and then faded, though.

Brooks has no offense whatsoever. None. He had several chances for easy baskets with a release a few inches from the rim, hardly contested and couldn't close the deal. Offensive liability, but seems to play good defense (but not always, there was one time in particular that he just let a guy take an uncontested shot a couple of feet from the basket and didn't even put his hands up, just stood there and admired what a nice shot it was). So, this is a transition guy that I would hardly expect a lot out of, reminds of Baron's first year and some of the guys he had.

Nikola Malesevic, what else can you say about him? Came back from a knee injury to complete the game. Was at times the only offense out there.

Powell was more or less the same as always. The Hurleys might have changed him a bit, but nothing severe. Not yet anyhow.

Bigby showed he could help here and there.

This team is obviously a work in progress with a lot of talent that are limited to spectator duty at the moment. And a few more really strong recruits waiting in the wings.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Bob Hurley postgame analysis was the best I have heard in years......Candid, positive where he could be, and NO SPIN. Don could actually ask him basketball questions, and get thoughtful answers back......Refreshing.

The game - Tons of hustle untill they ran out of gas. Coaching galore. Defense was great until cramps and tired legs look over. Turn the heat down in the RC.......This team is bound to improve. Considering the fact that the players are learning a new system, they are young and inexperienced, short, and there is little depth, I feel optomistic that with time we will have a program that we will be proud of.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Saw more movement in the offense then we ever saw with Baron. There were actually picks & cuts going on all the time. Hare must really be in the doghouse to get only 6 minutes. Lack of inside game is going to haunt them all season. TJ is a nice player but still offensively limited. Can't see him getting much PT after this season when Minnis & the the freshman PG come in. PA announcer (is it really DAn Yorke?) is awful. Never should be allowed behind the mike. It's not his job to do play by play. He needs to go. Makes us look bush league.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I agree on the post game comments.. Losing is unacceptable.. And no moral losses

I liked his answer to the honeymoon question

Good stuff..

Despite the losing that will come this year.. And I hate losing.. I can't wait to see them play

I think this game against va tech I should be able to see online (?)
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hare is basically raw potential. One of two things will happen with a guy like him: either he'll eventually "get it" and blossom, or when the flood of bodies come in over the next two years, he'll opt out.

So, should be interesting to watch. I think there will be at least a few games this year where he breaks double digits in points, but it wasn't going to be game one.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rammgr wrote:Saw more movement in the offense then we ever saw with Baron. There were actually picks & cuts going on all the time. Hare must really be in the doghouse to get only 6 minutes. Lack of inside game is going to haunt them all season. TJ is a nice player but still offensively limited. Can't see him getting much PT after this season when Minnis & the the freshman PG come in. PA announcer (is it really DAn Yorke?) is awful. Never should be allowed behind the mike. It's not his job to do play by play. He needs to go. Makes us look bush league.
He's not a complete player by any means, but the coaches like TJ and what he can bring defensively. I imagine he's a step behind right now coming off an injury. It remains to be seen how it plays out, of course, but the one affected by Minnis and Matthews is Powell.

Did Dan make further comments about Hare and practice last night or was someone just referencing what was said after the exhibition game?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Nik did not have a knee injury. It was a cramp. They had him on the floor at the end of the bench, stretching him out and hydrating him. He'll be fine. Munford's injury might be a little more of a concern. He rolled his ankle pretty good. They retaped it and got him back in the game while it was still warm. You could tell he was having trouble with it. I'm betting it's pretty sore today.
0 x
Ryan Rowdy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ryan Rowdy »

Powell was frustrating to watch. Dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, force a pass, make a lazy cut.

I came into this season keeping high hopes for him, but after the practice and game 1, I don't see how he sticks around once EC and Biggie are playing.
0 x
What Would Jon Clark Do?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: Did Dan make further comments about Hare and practice last night or was someone just referencing what was said after the exhibition game?
Yeah he did. In the press conference videos earlier in the thread, when asked about Hare, he again mentioned the lack of work and picking up the offense in practice. He really must be struggling.

Also important to note, for those of you who mentioned TJ, Hurley also said in the press conference that it almost wasn't fair to TJ to even have him out there. He had no summer workouts, has barely practiced, and this was really his first time going full speed at all. But they obviously still like the kid, so we need to reserve judgement on him for a bit until he can get back to full strength.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ryan Rowdy wrote:Powell was frustrating to watch. Dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, force a pass, make a lazy cut.

I came into this season keeping high hopes for him, but after the practice and game 1, I don't see how he sticks around once EC and Biggie are playing.
I thought Powell was OK, not great, but OK. He did have one bad/lazy pass on the NSU press, but I though he took care of the ball pretty well. He had some good full court defensive pressure. I thought he played much better than last year, running the offense. Of course, now we actually run an offense. But I agree with you on one thing. I don't see where he fits next year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Powell was fine until the end of the game, when he reverted back to dribbling the clock out, driving underneath and getting smothered.
It was as if, when the heat was on, he forgot about all he was taught by the Hurleys.
JCR, how can you call Hare and offensive player, when his sole game is tip ins and alley oop dunks?
This is the third time I'm seen him on the court, and I've yet to see anything resembling a move, a shot or anything else.
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

The jumping ability of the Rams was exciting to watch. Brooks spotted the opposite center about 6 inches and controlled the center jump to start the game.some of the rebounding action was above the rim.
0 x
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

I was not a bit surprised by the outcome of last night's game. Last year we had inferior shooting, but we had an inside presence that out rebounded most of their opponents, got lots of second chance points, and beat teams in the paint. This offset the bad shooting somewhat. This year we have no inside game and the shooting woes continue. The defense may be better, but defense will only go so far. I'll take better shooting any day. And the team that had the best defense last night was in green.

When the Rams couldn't get to the basket on a drive, they put up floaters none of which went in. Even a more talented shooting team wouldn't attempt such desperate shots. One dubious distinction and on opening night - the 28% shooting was lower than anything last year's woeful team showed and it was not even close.

I thought the crowd was just fine. Ex PC game, we never even came close to 5000 for a OOC game last year. URI athletics does a great job on game day environment - very classy. But this is all negated by an atmosphere of losing. It's only one game, but a losing atmosphere dissipates morale and has a domino effect. Saying we saw hustle, defensive intensity, more picks and cuts, etc. doesn't change losing.

BTW, the announcer is Dan Yorke. He is terrible. What we need is a sports announcer exciting the crowd, rather than a guy using cutesy lines, sounding more like he's a DJ at a club in downtown Providence.

If you were wondering at the start of the game if the Rams would ever score and had a similar feeling at the beginning of the second half, then realize that feeling will be replaced by a more long lasting feeling - when will URI win a game?
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

It seemed to me that URI lost its intensity in the second half. What went on in the Locker room at the half?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Essam wrote:It seemed to me that URI lost its intensity in the second half. What went on in the Locker room at the half?
I would say lack of depth, but....from what I read, Hurley always only goes 8 or 9 deep and plays that style of play, so lack of depth should not be an excuse.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I agree about the announcer. I prefer someone monotone, to be honest, like at a professional game. Almost robotic, but not as far as "Stephen Hawking" robotic.

For example "Foul on number one, Mike Powell"

That's it. That's enough. You don't have to say "that's his fourth" especially when it doesn't jive with the scoreboard. You don't have to say "oooooooh, that's a <insert over the top adjective here> foul on number..."

Or after each foul shot "he has two left" ... "he has one left"

We can figure that out on our own.

Rod, I dunno about Hare. This is actually the first time I've ever seen him play. The offensive player was an assumption, I guess I was hoping.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Isaac is the newest Debbie Downer.
We have nine players! What do you expect?
They had a five point lead with 7 minutes to go. It's
not as if they weren't in the game.
We have no inside game, and no options on defense or offense down low.
Unless Onyekaba becomes eligible, we're in for a lot of long nights, when the shots aren't falling.
NSU was bigger at every position, including a 7 foot center, who roamed at will.
You seem to speak wihistfully about last years suck ass team.
Sorry, I'll take our lumps this season, with defense, and discipline,
oover the garbage from last year.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Amen to that.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
ace wrote: Did Dan make further comments about Hare and practice last night or was someone just referencing what was said after the exhibition game?
Yeah he did. In the press conference videos earlier in the thread, when asked about Hare, he again mentioned the lack of work and picking up the offense in practice. He really must be struggling.

Also important to note, for those of you who mentioned TJ, Hurley also said in the press conference that it almost wasn't fair to TJ to even have him out there. He had no summer workouts, has barely practiced, and this was really his first time going full speed at all. But they obviously still like the kid, so we need to reserve judgement on him for a bit until he can get back to full strength.
Thanks, hadn't had a chance to listen to them. Hurley likes TJ a lot and definitely sees a role for him on this team and going forward. Listen to what he says, and doesn't say, about his players. He's respectful of them, but he seems to make his point. I already see so many parallels between this season and his first at Wagner.
0 x