Monitoring NCAA Transfers

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Re: Monitoring NCAA Transfers

Unread post by Joe »

Damn. Maybe he and Kuran didn't get along, or he just doesn't want to "copy" him
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Doubtful it has anything to do with Kuran at all. He can just basically go anywhere he wants I think.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yeah, I didn't get the feeling that it had anything to do with Kuran. It was kind of like Washington's "hell no".
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

This pretty much sums up the opinion many have held of Josh Pastner:

"...the embarrassing debacle for Josh Pastner's program should serve as a lesson for all schools and student-athletes.

For the schools, it's simple: Don't fight or risk embarrassment.

For the student-athletes, it's also simple: If a school fights, fight back and fight loudly.

"The restrictions are nothing more than a calculated effort to punish Austin's family for his desire to transfer. ... This is a calculated effort by a dysfunctional staff to punish a player for taking a step to remove himself from a failing program."

That's part of a statement Don Jackson, Nichols' attorney, released Tuesday afternoon.

It was direct and scathing."

From CBSSports...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

And yet Pastner still is the coach there.

Anybody home in Memphis?
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

bressler3south wrote:This pretty much sums up the opinion many have held of Josh Pastner:

"...the embarrassing debacle for Josh Pastner's program should serve as a lesson for all schools and student-athletes.

For the schools, it's simple: Don't fight or risk embarrassment.

For the student-athletes, it's also simple: If a school fights, fight back and fight loudly.

"The restrictions are nothing more than a calculated effort to punish Austin's family for his desire to transfer. ... This is a calculated effort by a dysfunctional staff to punish a player for taking a step to remove himself from a failing program."

That's part of a statement Don Jackson, Nichols' attorney, released Tuesday afternoon.

It was direct and scathing."

From CBSSports...
Yikes! I wonder what the general attitude at the university is. I'd have to imagine with things like this and a record of underachieving under Pastner, it won't be long before people are calling for his head (if they haven't already started to do so).
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Why does Pastner still have his job? The Lawson family.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The number of transfers in college basketball is insane and getting worse by the year. We don't know all the facts, but I always felt there should be a deadline on when these kids can announce to transfer, or face a penalty of sorts. Maybe if you don't announce by May 1st, you can't be on scholarship for the following season. I think what's worse is that these coaches talk to the kids and everything is fine, and then out of the blue on June 1st or July 1st when a roster looks stable, they declare their intent to transfer. I believe I have heard rumors of the kid Canty from Fordham potentially completing coursework through July and leaving Fordham to play immediately somewhere else next year. If true (and there are other scenarios of this happening), how is it fair to the program? When Joe Young did this to Keno Davis and the Friars, I was not a fan of completely denying a release, but had no problem with a partial. With several universities in the area of "home," why can't you protect yourself against tampering and say "We don't want you going here, but you can go here, here, or here." In the case of Memphis, they just said "No future opponents." Again, I have no issue with that. If they said, "We are denying you from going anywhere with a Top 200 RPI last season, or no Top 25 programs, etc." it's a little ridiculous, but at the end of the day, especially given the time of year, have no problem with attempting it. Problem is 99% of the time, these programs give in and make themselves look guilty, when I think they certainly had a leg to stand on.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

In the case of Nichols, does anyone think that maybe the kid just reached the breaking-point with what he saw going on around him and had had enough? That involves a helluva lot more than just "my basketball career." Honesty/lies; stability/instability; the Past; the Future, etc.,
Yes, the number of kids transferring is insane; maybe there should be a cut-off date and so on…..
Better yet, maybe there should be a more non-delusional recruiting process by both parties.
Nah, that's delusional -- seduction is too exciting.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Maybe the kid was legit ticked, but to be content in the middle of June, you typically just don't wake up a few weeks later and say "I'm out," unless of course you were using your school to complete coursework to make yourself eligible for your next location. Kids been at Memphis for two seasons, telling me over the course of two weeks there was a drastic revelation about what was going on over there? Think it's all BS, probably needed a few credits to go elsewhere or a boost to his GPA, put in his time in summer school (exams for Summer Session 1 were July 2nd), got his grades, and transferring came next (his dad announced intent to transfer July 7th). To me, that's abusing the system, not how things were designed to be. Kid wants to leave so bad, have him go make up classes at a JUCO next season.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Post-grad transfers aren't the same thing and aren't a "loop hole." They're a great reward for a kid that has done the right things and wants to Finish his career somewhere else. If you go to one school and graduate you should be able to go to grad school wherever you want. That's just fair.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Perhaps I was oblivious, but I don't really remember the idea of the "5th year guy" being a huge recruiting tool 5 or 10 years ago. In 2011, there were 291 transfers known to Jeff Goodman. In 2013, 455. In 2015, nearly 600 as of June 30th. Don't blame a 5th year guy who suffered through Niagara or Kent St. from wanting a little bit more out of his last year of collegiate experience, but do you know there is a stat that says of post-grad guys who transfer, only 24% get their degree at the school they go to? It's just helped push the transfer number even higher.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't know much about the history of grad transfers, but if it is new then it is a definite improvement. It really isn't even a "transfer" in the true sense of the word. It is going to grad school, as so many other students do. These kids shouldn't be punished for playing a sport - nobody else is told they have to go to grad school at the same place they did their undergrad.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Superfly, whoever said that, "…..but to be content in the middle of June, you typically just don't wake up a few weeks later and say "I'm out," unless of course you were using your school to complete…." was indeed the case with Nichols?
Wherever he goes, he sits a year.
Have you been at your job your whole life?
Better yet, how many part-time jobs did you get fed-up with as a teenager and move on to a better situation?
By-the-way: Your last few lines about this situation sound awfully personal for some reason; usually, you are CC&C.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Perhaps I was oblivious, but I don't really remember the idea of the "5th year guy" being a huge recruiting tool 5 or 10 years ago. In 2011, there were 291 transfers known to Jeff Goodman. In 2013, 455. In 2015, nearly 600 as of June 30th. Don't blame a 5th year guy who suffered through Niagara or Kent St. from wanting a little bit more out of his last year of collegiate experience, but do you know there is a stat that says of post-grad guys who transfer, only 24% get their degree at the school they go to? It's just helped push the transfer number even higher.
My suspicion would be that in the past, players simply weren't graduating in high enough numbers for people to notice.

I'm actually in favor of transfer rules being loosened even more, since schools are under no obligation to guarantee a player's scholarship for four years - they can cut players for performance reasons. Either guarantee scholarships for 4 years, or, if they're not guaranteed, players should be free to transfer without sitting out any time.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Bress, I have no problem with someone who wants to leave their school for a better situation. Heck, even the grad-school thing doesn't bother me much, if at all. I just feel if a kid wants to leave, just give them a deadline just like the NBA. If not, then there is some punishment, maybe they can't enroll in a school right away, just like the average "student." I don't agree with a kid completing his second semester, and then taking summer classes, just to get enough credits because he wants to leave. Shame on the student for not having the credits to do so in the first place, why should the school be forced to house, feed, and educate a kid who wants to leave ASAP? That's one of my biggest grief's with the Nichols story, and that doesn't even touch on how I have no problem with a basketball program (the reason the kid got into that school) saying "You can't play for any known future opponents."
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Billyboy78 wrote:St. John's transfer Chris Obekpa is expected to visit NC State in the next few weeks, source told @CBSSports. UNLV, Arizona St also in mix.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Bah! Since we seem to have a scholarship to give for 2015,
I was hoping it would go to Obekpa.
Ohm well.........
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Bah! Since we seem to have a scholarship to give for 2015,
I was hoping it would go to Obekpa.
Ohm well.........
Where's the open scholly coming from?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Obama told Dan, he was giving an Executive Order for
another one.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Obama told Dan, he was giving an Executive Order for
another one.
Nice!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

How about a Omar Sherman. He's transferring.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ar-sherman
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Really odd to leave a few days before the semester starts. Seems like a good player though.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not necessarily a transfer, but I'm not sure what the equivalent of this would be for Rhody- losing Hassan plus Jarvis, maybe?

He messed up and, because of his heart condition, was already limited in where he could play. Tough break for Nate Oats(who coached Justin in high school along with EC), as he starts his first year as the head coach.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Have to think Oats would have fought this, too, considering their background. Plus, I'd have to imagine Moss had considerable goodwill built up in the Buffalo community. So whatever he did, it must have been a no-brainer to run him out of the school.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:Have to think Oats would have fought this, too, considering their background. Plus, I'd have to imagine Moss had considerable goodwill built up in the Buffalo community. So whatever he did, it must have been a no-brainer to run him out of the school.
Stole money on campus from another student athlete, which, ok- not good, but... perhaps he should have been a football player at FSU instead. Word is that this is a second offense for Moss, while the other two basketball players were first time offenders. Regardless, Buffalo is down a MAC player of the year plus the guys who left with Hurley.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

He STOLE from a fellow student athlete. Period. End of sentence. Pack your stuff and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm surprised he didn't get both his knees broken.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reckless jake wrote:He STOLE from a fellow student athlete. Period. End of sentence. Pack your stuff and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
And that's fine. Aside from being disappointed in and for Moss, I don't really have an opinion on this. My comment had more to do with who is and isn't disciplined and is probably especially influenced by recently reading a lot about that former Baylor football player. You know those comments about how Brady would have been better off hitting his wife than messing with footballs? Kind of like that.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

reckless jake wrote:He STOLE from a fellow student athlete. Period. End of sentence. Pack your stuff and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I am not defending stealing by any stretch. But I also know that other college athletes have gotten much worse swept under the rug on their behalf.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Maybe I'm old school, but the discipline in my day didn't come from the cops, or the college authorities, or the deans or the NCAA. That was handed down to the individual based on the infraction by those impacted. Sometimes, getting the living shit kicked out of you by your fellow students for transgressions will impart more learning than anythng a court of law can do.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Crazy part is that he will likely find another school to take him on - and probably one with a bigger name than Buffalo
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodylaw wrote:Crazy part is that he will likely find another school to take him on - and probably one with a bigger name than Buffalo
His situation is kind of complicated, though. Not every school is going to clear him medically.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Paging Huggy Bear!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

For those who relish news from Murphy Central:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... oot-injury
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

15 hours ago
UNLV announces sophomore forward Goodluck Okonoboh will transfer.
A Mass Rivals product…..
Heavily recruited by Smith Hill.
I wonder, though….
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Team could use a 6-10 guy with starting experience. This guy was solid as a Freshman for UNLV. It would be great if Rhody could grab him. He seems to be a great shot blocker. Can you imagine him and Has next year? Oh man, now that would be fun to watch. Opponent's shots would be flying into the stands. Rhody could use a tall guy.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We don't have a scholarship available, do we?
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

I have no idea about the scholarship situation. I usually don't follow the scholarship situation. Wonder if they're will eventually be room now that Iffy no longer plays with the team...
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:We don't have a scholarship available, do we?
Yes, kind of, for future reference-

Garrett
Terrell
McGlynn*
Iverson
Martin
Watson*
Thompson
Akele
Berry

Matthews

Robinson

Onyekaba*

(open- was supposed to be Butts)*

* Tertsea, Layssard, Langevine, Dowtin
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:We don't have a scholarship available, do we?
Yes, kind of, for future reference-

Garrett
Terrell
McGlynn*
Iverson
Martin
Watson*
Thompson
Akele
Berry

Matthews

Robinson

Onyekaba*

(open- was supposed to be Butts)*

* Tertsea, Layssard, Langevine, Dowtin
I'm still adding up to 13 with the 4 frosh coming in, Ace. Where's the open one?
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

I don't want to speak for anyone, but I'm assuming that's why ace said "kind of". Meaning one scholarship free right now, but not for next year?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Right, we have a free scholarship in the second semester, assuming we'd cut Iffy free, but no scholarship available in the fall unless someone else leaves or one of the incoming freshman don't come here.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The Dude wrote:I don't want to speak for anyone, but I'm assuming that's why ace said "kind of". Meaning one scholarship free right now, but not for next year?
Yep. They have an open one right now (would have been Butts). Onyekaba is counted as a scholarship.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, how would that work? If they signed a mid-year transfer, that still gives them 14 scholarship players for next year.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

It wouldn't work. Just wishful thinking. The team would have to cut someone loose. Berry maybe? Not saying they should let him go, but if you look at it from a purely logical perspective you could get a guy that's probably less of a project. Berry needs to loose a bunch a weight.
Anyway, I'll keep dreaming of better days in the meantime.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I don't see Berry ever getting minutes if he can't get minutes this year. So if he leaves after the year, we could get a transfer mid year with the open slot that we have this year and then use Berry slot next year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Berry has already lost a lot of weight. Did you see him early in the summer? He has worked very hard, continues to work hard and deserves a shot.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Staff likes Berry and his work/dedication and touch/toughness around the rim.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund