Monitoring NCAA Transfers

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Monitoring NCAA Transfers

Unread post by STC »

Although it won't help PC this year you have to think this makes them front runners to land Kyle Washington. Tons of playing time to offer.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is a mind-boggling move, Fairfield kid who Cooley likely had a long and good relationship with...one of the best PGs in the country coming back to throw you alley-oops, starter from Day 1 of the next season, etc etc. This is either an indictment on campus life at PC or an indictment on the loss of shine on the new Big East. He either hated it at PC or thinks he is better than the BE. Makes little sense.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Well, he's transferring from PC for a damn good reason: It's not for him, it's not him, and as a young man who was born in Nigeria, lived in the Fairfield/Westport area, went to Fairfield Prep, he must have woken up day-after-day in that cozy corner campus and asked himself: What am I doing here? It's drab, it's ugly, it's suffocating. I would have attended Fairfield if Coach Cooley had stayed. But I can't stay here no matter how much I care for Coach Cooley. I am not happy here. It's a miserable place.
It's not a black or white issue.
Coach Cooley. He's black and from Providence.
I am from Fairfield. Now, that's white.
I'm a very young man.
I just want to be happy again.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm so sad for them PC fans, this is really upsetting me. Why would anyone want to leave that wonderful place?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This was part of a post in the Pascal thread on the Scout board. Also, if you want a good laugh go and read that thread. The world is ending according to them.

"Second, for all the URI haters on this board you better look south to Kingston this year because they look to be the better representative for the basketball rights for our little state. You have to admit that coaching staff is getting the job done even if they are in an inferior league. Hurley is out performing us and that really stinks and stings."
0 x
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Is he coming to play for Rhody?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

He heard ARD is coming and said I'm outta hear!!!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Well, PC fans can look at the bright side of things in the Paschal Chukwu Debacle: The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh……
One of their recruits got a degree from the school: G. Shammgod, Class of 18 Years Later.
At least he woke up.
John Wooden would be proud, knew the value of a solid education. Wooden indicated the fancy skills were evident, but didn't have nice things to say about Shammgod's basketball acumen during the Wooden High School Classic at the Civic Center nearly 20 years ago.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Wow.....shocked by this....somebody get him a cab to Kingston!!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote:This was part of a post in the Pascal thread on the Scout board. Also, if you want a good laugh go and read that thread. The world is ending according to them.

"Second, for all the URI haters on this board you better look south to Kingston this year because they look to be the better representative for the basketball rights for our little state. You have to admit that coaching staff is getting the job done even if they are in an inferior league. Hurley is out performing us and that really stinks and stings."
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If PC gets Oliver from Eastern Illinois to fill Chukwu's void that should lessen the blow. Kid is 6'8 and produced the last two years. Eligible to play this fall.
0 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

That's a kid we should have been involved with.
We need a guy like that a hell of a lot more than
we need another SG.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rodfromcranston wrote:That's a kid we should have been involved with.
We need a guy like that a hell of a lot more than
we need another SG.
yeah, its not like we just brought in a 6'8 260 PF and a 6'7 SF... you're like the Fox News of this board. Ignore facts and keep spewing the same tired buzz words...'rabble rabble rabble center rabble rabble rabble height'
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Go back on the A-10 board and make anti-Italian slurs.
If you do some research, you'd know that this
kid is a career double figure scorer in D-1, not an out of shape juco with
lesser numbers.
He's also a guy being chased by P5 schools, but don't let the facts
get in the way, right?
You're like MSNBC, and empty barrel making noise and not much else,
that nobody listens to.
Try bringing something to the table for a change,.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Are we really arguing whether or not URI could use a 7-2 center with unlimited potential? I must be missing something in this argument because that certainly can't be the case..
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

CT Rhody wrote:Are we really arguing whether or not URI could use a 7-2 center with unlimited potential? I must be missing something in this argument because that certainly can't be the case..
of course we could use one. but is it not a necessity and the lack of one is not an achilles heel. regardless of what some want to believe.

TALENT wins in college, not what position they play.
0 x
---
---
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Are we really arguing whether or not URI could use a 7-2 center with unlimited potential? I must be missing something in this argument because that certainly can't be the case..
of course we could use one. but is it not a necessity and the lack of one is not an achilles heel. regardless of what some want to believe.

Okay, Survivor, so you put your team of five elite point guards (your choices) on the floor against my team of, say, two excellent/good point guards (perhaps T.J. McConnell and Delon Wright), a pure scoring wing (D'Angelo Russell), a 6'7" multi-purpose forward (Justice Winslow) and a 7' Frank Kaminsky.
I'll take my team against yours 85%-90% of the time, without a doubt.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

bressler3south wrote:

Okay, Survivor, so you put your team of five elite point guards (your choices) on the floor against my team of, say, two excellent/good point guards (perhaps T.J. McConnell and Delon Wright), a pure scoring wing (D'Angelo Russell), a 6'7" multi-purpose forward (Justice Winslow) and a 7' Frank Kaminsky.
I'll take my team against yours 85%-90% of the time, without a doubt.
strawman much?
0 x
---
---
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Bressler, are those players not talented? He said talent wins, and you picked 5 extremely talented players. I'm confused at what point you are making
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Guess Lewis replaces Gordon.
Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 2h2 hours ago
RT @AdamFinkelstein: Zach Lewis is transferring from Canisius to UMass.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

The point he was making was that TALENT wins in college, not what position they play. (His words, no?) So, I'm letting him choose the five most talented point guards -- regardless of height -- and I'll take a more traditional line-up of talented players.
Okay, so I'll take my two guards listed and then to make it "fairer" I'll take Pat Connaughton, Hassan Martin, and Sam Dekker.
Then again, if I took Kaminsky, Okafor, Towns, Winslow and Cauley-Stein -- five ultra-extremely talented players -- I think that it would be an inferior team to the one of McConnell, Wright, Connaughton, Martin, and Dekker.
My point, folks, is that your premise is illogical. To play a team game one needs a team of complementary parts to function to its optimum potential.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Basketball played well, is about balance.
As Jim Harrick liked to say,"Be hard to guard".
Meaning, be able to have guys who score from various places on the floor.
Balancing the court with inside, outside and mid range offensive options.
You can't win with 5 guards anymore than you could win with
5 centers.
Balance also applies to defense.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

bressler3south wrote:The point he was making was that TALENT wins in college, not what position they play. (His words, no?) So, I'm letting him choose the five most talented point guards -- regardless of height -- and I'll take a more traditional line-up of talented players.
Okay, so I'll take my two guards listed and then to make it "fairer" I'll take Pat Connaughton, Hassan Martin, and Sam Dekker.
Then again, if I took Kaminsky, Okafor, Towns, Winslow and Cauley-Stein -- five ultra-extremely talented players -- I think that it would be an inferior team to the one of McConnell, Wright, Connaughton, Martin, and Dekker.
My point, folks, is that your premise is illogical. To play a team game one needs a team of complementary parts to function to its optimum potential.
you're being facetious to the point of embarrasing yourself.

my point was clearly that its better to have another top 75 guard instead of some guy who can barely walk and chew gum at the same time simply because he's 6'10.

but if you want to have fun making a bunch of strawman arguments, have at it
0 x
---
---
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

bressler3south wrote:The point he was making was that TALENT wins in college, no matter what position they play. (His words, no?) So, I'm letting him choose the five most talented point guards -- regardless of height -- and I'll take a more traditional line-up of talented players.
you're being facetious to the point of embarrasing yourself.

my point was clearly that its better to have another top 75 guard instead of some guy who can barely walk and chew gum at the same time simply because he's 6'10.

but if you want to have fun making a bunch of strawman arguments, have at it
In your mind I'm being facetious, but that is, again, misjudgment on your part, and that's the embarrassing aspect of your discussion.
Three years ago, Mr. Robinson was a Top 100 recruit. Today, he is not a Top-250 College player, perhaps he is one of the best 125 guards in the country. URI has a plethora of guards/swingmen, there is no need for another one, especially one who will sit out a year.
Personally, I did not/do not advocate garnering "some guy who can barely walk and chew gum at the same time simply because he's 6'10." That's inane.
URI is in the position to recruit "Gems," not just the typical URI MO "Hidden Gems/Unpolished Gems."
So, I don't care if you have the most talented all point-guard team, shooting guard team, small forward team, power forward team, center team, etc., etc., etc., if your team is unbalanced, your coaching/teaching unbalanced, the simple result is this: your team will be unbalanced.
Straw argument, my ass. You offered the premise "TALENT wins in college, no matter what position they play." So I countered your thoughts about talent. Big deal.
You know, if pure talent won all the time, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Arizona, et al., would win every year.
But they haven't, and they don't.
Next time, before you attack me for twisting an argument to suit my needs, have some understanding about what it is you're writing or blanketly stating in the first place.
Last edited by bressler3south 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What are we arguing about again? Whether one hypothetical team of really good players is better than another hypothetical team of really good players?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:What are we arguing about again? Whether one hypothetical team of really good players is better than another hypothetical team of really good players?
TALENT wins in college, not what position they play

and

The need for a 63rd guard on the roster

and/or

Recruiting a talented big man

The usual discussion………………………..
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As for Olivier (I think he was mentioned way back), Rhode Island was one of the first schools to reach out to him.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

OK My point guards are going to be Magic Johnson, Lamar Odom, Jalen Rose, Michael Carter Williams, and for the sake of the 3ball Stephon Curry.

we have great height!!

[EDIT] Also for the sake of this board my 6th man is going to be Jon Lucky because nobody likes him but I do because he was nice to me everytime I talked to him.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Seawrightspostgame wrote:OK My point guards are going to be Magic Johnson, Lamar Odom, Jalen Rose, Michael Carter Williams, and for the sake of the 3ball Stephon Curry.

we have great height!!

[EDIT] Also for the sake of this board my 6th man is going to be Jon Lucky because nobody likes him but I do because he was nice to me everytime I talked to him.
You were the only person who talked to him then. The only person talking to him these days is the DA.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jimbo focuses on PC and Ed Cooley in this story, but he mentions URI, Brown and Bryant, too.

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... wgiCgzCV6T
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know college-aged kids can be impetuous, but it seems strange to me that Cooley had no idea that Chukwu was so unhappy at his school.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I find it kinda strange some of the things he said to. I get he is frustrated, but it kind of felt like he took a couple shots at the kid.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

In general, I actually don't disagree with what Cooley is saying, but I think it's dirty pool (and sour grapes) to take passive aggressive swipes at a teenager on his way out of town because you're mad about how his personal decision impacted you. It's Bob Ryan-esque for Donaldson to serve as the hatchet man, but that isn't surprising because Donaldson is a scoundrel. But I'm disappointed in Cooley. I thought more of him than that.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

"Look to your left, look to your right. One of you will be gone by Thanksgiving, the other won't make it to your sophomore year."
The immortal insight given to us at URI Freshman Orientation. When I told my parents at dinner a couple of nights later, my father chuckled and said, "They're still giving that spiel." Then he paused and said, "Funny thing is, it's true."
It is. Only one in three freshman entrants graduates from not only URI, but all four-year schools throughout the U.S. It's been a constant for nearly 100 years.
Also, I wonder what Cooley would say about his own kids being unhappy about making an uncomfortable college choice? Would he force them to stay there?
Another thing about him being oblivious to Chukwu's unhappiness is the way he describes the kid's actions by lumping them together as typical basketball players' motivations. Chukwu's decision was far from impetuous, and not a college basketball player's myopic "next-level" selfishly motivated maneuver, but one made by an unhappy college kid.
Actually, Chukwu is part of the 66%…..
And Cooley's rep as a caring, in-tune, in-touch mentor/father-figure coach whose life-lessons will be remembered by "the scores of his guys" took another enormous hit. I don't know if he's retained 20 players during his tenure at PC, never mind graduated twenty.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And, while I understand that they're all just working within the system as it currently stands, it's not a good look to complain about "today's kids" and their lack of commitment and the horridness of all these transfers... and then turn around and schedule visits to host transfers that you want to bring in to your program.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's rare to see such attrition while having on court success. Something odd about that. Agree some of those quotes came across as passive aggressive jabs, maybe Sean is his PR director.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

True, and in some respects, it's impressive what they've been able to do the last few years with losing guys. For as much criticism as Hurley gets from some fans of other teams (verbally abusive and psychotic are some of my faves), his guys love playing for him and, except for some of the fringe players, they're staying.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I respect Cooley's drive to get the Job of his dreams and wouldn't consider him a bad guy in any respect from what I know of him, but I'm less than impressed with the subtle questionable ethical issues that seem to paint a picture of a man less interested in the success of his kids than that of the program. Not that the list is all that long but I have issues with how he is, one, handling this transfer, and two, how he handled the discipline/suspensions of the two offenders, he, in my opinion, just wasn't stern enough about the whole thing almost felt like he cared more about the program holding on to its talent than to supporting what is right, helping reshape minds to understand giving and receiving respect, etc. I still think its possible that Fortune transferred because of that whole mess.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

bressler3south wrote:"Look to your left, look to your right. One of you will be gone by Thanksgiving, the other won't make it to your sophomore year."
The immortal insight given to us at URI Freshman Orientation. When I told my parents at dinner a couple of nights later, my father chuckled and said, "They're still giving that spiel." Then he paused and said, "Funny thing is, it's true."
It is. Only one in three freshman entrants graduates from not only URI, but all four-year schools throughout the U.S. It's been a constant for nearly 100 years.
Also, I wonder what Cooley would say about his own kids being unhappy about making an uncomfortable college choice? Would he force them to stay there?
Another thing about him being oblivious to Chukwu's unhappiness is the way he describes the kid's actions by lumping them together as typical basketball players' motivations. Chukwu's decision was far from impetuous, and not a college basketball player's myopic "next-level" selfishly motivated maneuver, but one made by an unhappy college kid.
And Cooley's rep as a caring, in-tune, in-touch mentor/father-figure coach whose life-lessons will be remembered by "the scores of his guys" took another enormous hit. I don't know if he's retained 20 players during his tenure at PC, never mind graduated twenty.
Yeah that was a fun moment from orientation. We got a slightly altered version for the IEP orientation; "Look to your left, look to your right, now look at yourself. Two of you will be gone by Thanksgiving, the other will be a business major sophomore year."
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

One thing that hasn't been touched on is, a rally on the PC
campus over racial profiling at PC.
How is that ever going to help a school that already has a
perception as not very diverse?
I don't blame Cooley for venting, if indeed he got blindsided by
Chukwu.
I'm sure it's not easy dealing with some of today's AAU culture,
ego driven players.
By all accounts, Big Ed is old school and some of what he sees, is frustrating
to him.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

URI_IEP wrote:
bressler3south wrote:"Look to your left, look to your right. One of you will be gone by Thanksgiving, the other won't make it to your sophomore year."
Yeah that was a fun moment from orientation. We got a slightly altered version for the IEP orientation; "Look to your left, look to your right, now look at yourself. Two of you will be gone by Thanksgiving, the other will be a business major sophomore year."
ha, i thought i was the only one that pulled that move...

i think a factor in the attrition under Cooley is out of his control. PC is kind of stuck in no mans land. The new Big East wants to masquerade and think of itself as a P5 conference, when in reality it is firmly on the outside looking in. Add to that PC's position in that conference is middle to upper middle, they arent a top flight program there. They are adjusting from being that annoying little brother who talks smack because of their big brother (the old Big East) to having to accomplish things without the conference crutch
0 x
---
---
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I'm missing something, why should Chukwu suck it up if he was unhappy/uncomfortable at the school?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

"Look to your left, look to your right. One of you will be gone by Thanksgiving."

I remember hearing this in the military, many years ago. And, it had nothing to do with flunking out of school.

So, in retrospect, over the past few months, Tom Brady and Ed Cooley's character have been questioned. Two people I have a lot of respect for.
Who's next? Are we going to hear that the Easter Bunny smokes crack?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yep, and Santa Claus runs a big 'ol meth lab at the North Pole....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

BFC wrote:I'm missing something, why should Chukwu suck it up if he was unhappy/uncomfortable at the school?
Because that would be best for Ed Cooley, obviously.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:
BFC wrote:I'm missing something, why should Chukwu suck it up if he was unhappy/uncomfortable at the school?
Ah, TP, we're in agreement.
8-) ;) 8-) ;) 8-) ;) 8-) ;) 8-)
Also, I believe here's an aspect that no one has addressed: What's Bob Driscoll's take on Ed Cooley's being so out of touch with his players and about his players' backgrounds, and what of President Shanley's, O.P., opinion?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bressler3south wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Ah, TP, we're in agreement.
8-) ;) 8-) ;) 8-) ;) 8-) ;) 8-)
Also, I believe here's an aspect that no one has addressed: What's Bob Driscoll's take on Ed Cooley's being so out of touch with his players and about his players' backgrounds, and what of President Shanley's, O.P., opinion?
I doubt Driscoll cares. He just won a national championship in a major 4 sport, and his basketball program has gone to back to back tourneys with a conference title in there.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Brown's best player just transferred. Just in case they weren't a big enough RPI killer.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

nm
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Great....I'm starting to be concerned about our sos.....would be a shame if we miss our big shot at the dance because our schedule isn't strong enough
0 x