Game #31: vs Fordham - Wed March 5, 7pm OSN & SNY

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Game #31: vs Fordham - Wed March 5, 7pm OSN & SNY

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Senior Night. Always special. Would be great to finish the regular season with a winning streak and take Brooklyn by storm.

TV: OSN on Cox; SNY where available

Radio: B101FM and via iHeart.com

Streaming: coxsportsonline.com for $5

GameNotes in PDF: via GoRhody.com
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #31: vs Fordham - Wed March 5, 7pm OSN

Unread post by bigappleram »

+5
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The guys were embarrassed in the earlier game against them. Defense was non existent.

I would be surprised, if we don't win this game easily.

Fordham sometimes plays well at home. They have won ONE conference road game in the last 4 years.

I seriously doubt they make it two Wednesday night.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Really think the team will show up for this game, losing to Fordham already this year. Gotta rebound, gotta play some sort of defense. That should be the focus this week. Sometimes Senior Day can have a negative impact on the team's performance (too much emotion, trying to do too much on the court, etc.) Hopefully these guys can avoid that and play a solid all-around game and stay on the upswing into Brooklyn.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I can't believe it's the last home game of the season. I am hoping for a strong win against Fordham, and then hopefully do some damage at the A10's.... especially based on how well they played on Saturday. Plus, how awesome was it to see EC and Hass on SC Top 10 since who can remember the last time that happened for us.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I worry about the too much emotion aspect with Biruta. Can't have him come out and get 2 quick ones.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, with X leaving, it could be tough on some of these guys.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Taylor Swift wrote:I can't believe it's the last home game of the season. I am hoping for a strong win against Fordham, and then hopefully do some damage at the A10's.... especially based on how well they played on Saturday. Plus, how awesome was it to see EC and Hass on SC Top 10 since who can remember the last time that happened for us.
X's buzzer beater vs Dayton last year was the last time URI made SC top 10 I believe....? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bigappleram wrote:+5
expecting us to be -9 .

ps sagarin now has us as 129th. moving up
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i meant just +5 on ATPs post, nothing about the spread. I would assume we will be favored by 6-7 in this one.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ram1019 wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:I can't believe it's the last home game of the season. I am hoping for a strong win against Fordham, and then hopefully do some damage at the A10's.... especially based on how well they played on Saturday. Plus, how awesome was it to see EC and Hass on SC Top 10 since who can remember the last time that happened for us.
X's buzzer beater vs Dayton last year was the last time URI made SC top 10 I believe....? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, URI actually makes the "top plays" portion of ESPN semi-frequently, just because they're usually playing a lot of close games and aren't blowing teams out, heh. I think Marquis Jones might have been on there for his shot against Dayton, and one of Ulmer's dunks, and before then, Dawan Robinson's 3 against (I think) Temple.
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

I've never liked Fordham. Maybe it's because my cousin played soccer there and liked to believe it's the ninth ivy. Maybe it's because they've dragged our conference RPI down for over a decade. Regardless I hope we smoke them on Wed
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I'd like to buy Fordham for what it's worth and sell it for what it thinks it's worth.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think this Rhode Island team is better than Fordham. It seems like they are, right? Yet the last game was absolutely awful. It seems like they should win, and I really need that to happen- as close to the Richmond beat down as possible, please. For the love of whatever, play some defense against these guys.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One thing that was said at the Mews last night about that game, was that we played perhaps the worst defense of any game this year.

Let them in the lane at will, and also let them rebound their own misses all night.

I doubt that's going to happen again.

Even if we don't play our best, we should win this. They [Fordham] are a putrid road team.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I know Dan can't play the game for his team, but based on his comments last night that Fordham game made him about as upset as he could get about a game. I can't guarantee a win, but I will guarantee there will not be a lack of effort or focus.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I was at the Fordham game and absolutely was one of our worst defensive efforts of the season. We let Branden Frazier control the last 10 minutes of the game, we couldn't stop dribble penetration, and on top of that they were outrebounding us. X was in unusual foul trouble that night, which certainly hampered his ability to play defense. TJ also came up lame in that game and was cramping, another blow to our defensive intensity.

I dont see those things happening again and I would hope for a relatively comfortable win on Senior Night.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Dan Hurley is 0-2 versus the snobby Rams of Fordham. Time to change that Danny Boy!
Last edited by Obadiah 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I'm expecting a huge game from Hassan, I want him all over the paint!!
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Can't wait for tomorrow night. Get there early!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I hope the students can get out of bed to support URI and send the seniors out with a flourish.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully representatives from the Athletic Dept. will be all over campus tomorrow trying to get students to show up.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bigappleram wrote:I was at the Fordham game and absolutely was one of our worst defensive efforts of the season. We let Branden Frazier control the last 10 minutes of the game, we couldn't stop dribble penetration, and on top of that they were outrebounding us. X was in unusual foul trouble that night, which certainly hampered his ability to play defense. TJ also came up lame in that game and was cramping, another blow to our defensive intensity.

I dont see those things happening again and I would hope for a relatively comfortable win on Senior Night.
And if I remember last year correctly, the same thing happened when we could not guard Frazier(Powell).

They only have two "big men" Rhoomes and Canty. Both are slow Usually only one plays at a time with 4 guards. If given a chance this good be a good matchup for Iffy.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

we are -10 over Fordham !
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Let's crush em!
0 x
GO RAMS
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

I think it's safe to say this is the first time that we have been a double digit fave in a long time.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hurley talking up the importance of the game in the Projo today for Munford on senior night, trying to bang the drum for attendance.
Projo has URI +8.5

Last game Fordham was on fire withb3 pointers hitting 8-15. Don't expect a repeat as they are not a good 3 point shooting team but they were that day.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramster are you sure URI is +8.5 in the projo? That makes no sense.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Ramster are you sure URI is +8.5 in the projo? That makes no sense.
Sorry I meant to say URI is favored by 8.5 points. Too early in the morning.
It is 8.5
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

When picking my march madness bracket, my frequently-used scientifically based method in matchups that are a complete toss-up is to imagine a fight between the mascots and think of what would win. Games like this are my nightmare.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

They are giving away free t-shirts to the first 750 students tonight. We should see a good student crowd then.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodyfan3 wrote:They are giving away free t-shirts to the first 750 students tonight. We should see a good student crowd then.
If so, let's see how many stay longer than the first half.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

One would hope that they only "go home" on the weekends.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We are too obsessed with student turnout on this board. When the program wins consistently and is playing meaningful games consistently, the students will show up consistently. Until then, the student attendance isn't going to fluctuate significantly based on two game winning streaks, and you won't be able to trick them into caring with promotions. If they are only showing up for a tshirt you can't be surprised when they leave after they get it. If you want them to stay to the end they have to care about the actual game.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Yep.

Just win, baby. Even if there's only 4,000 people in the building it can still get loud when it needs to. And once we start winning, you better believe there will be more than 4,000 in there.

I remember as a student during the Baron years (before the inevitable collapse(s)) having to wait outside the Ryan Center box office very early in the morning in freezing weather to be able to get student tickets. Win enough games and it'll be like that again.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:We are too obsessed with student turnout on this board. When the program wins consistently and is playing meaningful games consistently, the students will show up consistently. Until then, the student attendance isn't going to fluctuate significantly based on two game winning streaks, and you won't be able to trick them into caring with promotions. If they are only showing up for a tshirt you can't be surprised when they leave after they get it. If you want them to stay to the end they have to care about the actual game.
Yup!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:We are too obsessed with student turnout on this board. When the program wins consistently and is playing meaningful games consistently, the students will show up consistently. Until then, the student attendance isn't going to fluctuate significantly based on two game winning streaks, and you won't be able to trick them into caring with promotions. If they are only showing up for a tshirt you can't be surprised when they leave after they get it. If you want them to stay to the end they have to care about the actual game.
Perhaps they should be given tee-shirts on their way out AFTER games. Solves the problem of leaving early.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm not sure RIPTA t-shirts are going to move the dial a whole lot for students.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ChiPhiRhody03 »

finish shots, play strong defense and win the damn game. Get some momentum heading into Brooklyn.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hopefully the X that shows up tonight and down the stretch is the one that was at the game in Olean, NY.

EC will get his, Hassan will get his, and you can depend on Biruta to give you 10 10 and give up 20 points in the low post. We will go as far in brooklyn as X takes us. Literally our X factor. If he can score 20+ without taking 16-18 shots, we'll be ok.

Let's go X...finish this out strong.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:When picking my march madness bracket, my frequently-used scientifically based method in matchups that are a complete toss-up is to imagine a fight between the mascots and think of what would win. Games like this are my nightmare.
Solid strategy.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #31: vs Fordham - Wed March 5, 7pm OSN & SNY

X has been playing his best ball as a Ram in the past month. In the past 6 games he is averaging 16.3 pts/game, shooting 42%, 3.5 assists/game, 3.5 rebounds/game. In addition his defense has been great and he has played 220 of a possible 240 minutes. Great way for him to finish. Go X and Go Rhody! See you in the BK.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I can totally see X going out with a win on senior night where so many others have failed! Good luck X and company! A win would feel good.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jarvis Garrett's taking in another game. Make it 2 wins in a row, ok?
0 x
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

Martin - 3 blocks in 5 minutes. Guy is a beast.
0 x
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BCRhody03 »

Our freshman big man is blocking everything early. Meanwhile Gil already has missed 3 layups and launched a 3 (which was also a miss).

Martin with a huge putback jam, we will be seeing alot of those over the next 3+ seasons.
0 x
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

bull sh!t - that was all ball by EC. Both frosh continue to look like studs. Hope Garrett's taking notes.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Not sure if this has been posted but here is a link for those that aren't lucky enough to get SNY or would rather not watch than give Cox five bucks...

http://www.feed2all.eu/watch/244506/1/w ... rdham.html
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

too many points left on the floor, need to clean it up in the second half
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Pretty uninspiring effort so far. Terrible shooting and more missed ft's. Why isn't Gil in the game? Why is URI the only team in the A-10 that somehow makes Fordham seem not so bad?
0 x