Game #31: vs Fordham - Wed March 5, 7pm OSN & SNY

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Game #31: vs Fordham - Wed March 5, 7pm OSN & SNY

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Best game of the season by TJ. Had a haircut and a bounce in his step.
Gil was just stupid all night.
Nice senior night for X.
EC cements ROY award.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

thankfully it just looked like his knee buckled and didn't twist
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

I will go out on a limb and say Hass will take down Kenny Grren's single game block record at some point in his career.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

twisted3829 wrote:absolutely, EC should be ROY, the others will be Jenkins (GMU), Bembry (SJU), Severe (FU), and Martin (URI)

I think Hassan has a good chance at all-defensive team
Agree on all counts. I also think E.C. gets third team All A-10.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

From what I heard Hassan had a slight knee issue, and then he tweaked it late in the game.

Good that we have a week [actually 8 days] before we play again. He's got time to rest it if needed.

If anyone has an update, feel free.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote:From what I heard Hassan had a slight knee issue, and then he tweaked it late in the game.

Good that we have a week [actually 8 days] before we play again. He's got time to rest it if needed.

If anyone has an update, feel free.
It was reported as a knee contusion that occurred pre-game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'll bet he's pretty sore right now, but happy.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Good article on tonight by Paul Kenyon.
The crowd gave Paul a well deserved standing ovation.
One of the nicest people you could ever meet,
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Had to watch on DVR tonight and avoid all social media because of a work commitment. Just got done watching, man I was worried about X after that first half. Was worried it could be an off senior night for him. Yeah and then the 2nd half happened. So impressive. Really happy for him, he deserved it.

What else can even be said about EC and Hassan at this point. They are um...good.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:Had to watch on DVR tonight and avoid all social media because of a work commitment.
So everyone here was all happy and you were still sweating it out? That's dedication!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:
adam914 wrote:Had to watch on DVR tonight and avoid all social media because of a work commitment.
So everyone here was all happy and you were still sweating it out? That's dedication!
Haha oh yeah...had to turn my phone off all night just in case of any texts, stay off the internet, the whole deal. It's not easy!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:absolutely, EC should be ROY, the others will be Jenkins (GMU), Bembry (SJU), Severe (FU), and Martin (URI)

I think Hassan has a good chance at all-defensive team
Agree on all counts. I also think E.C. gets third team All A-10.
I think EC gets second team all a10. Third team would be the minimum but this kid has been very impressive and all the a10 coaches know it.
Agree Hassan could make the all defensive team and of course is a lock for rookie team
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

sat with my feet on the court due to the fact my college roommate won cox dream seats
have to share one of my funniest moments on the court in quite a while
with under two minutes left Hassan receives a pass from EC and gets fouled from number 30 on a failed dunk attempt
30 gets the low on the foul line set up right in front of me. He is shaking his head and I yell there is nothing you can do the kids amazing he is unstoppable. Number 30 looks at me. I say while your at it why don't you congratulate the conference rookie of year next to you. EC looks over and smiles. Hassan hits his first. I yell he even hits his foul shots, and then I yell "everyday day thank god Severe did not come here he stinks, he is faking an injury and he doesn't pass." Number 30 yells " your right." EC laughs and they go for a rebound

CLASSIC

EC MATTHEWS A10 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR EVEN THE COMPETION THINKS SO
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

GB reminds me of a talented player I once coached who had ADD. At times he looks like a talent and at other times he looks new to the game.

Hassan knows when to be aggressive and when to hold position.

FU's strategy was to foul URI when they drove to the hoop. It wasn't until we started making treys that we were able to pull away.

I was listening to EC on the post-game show on the ride home. Next year we will have 4 PGs. EC clearly expects to play that position more. I see a problem.

EC reminded me of Dr J in college tonight. He played within a team structure in half one and then took over in the second half. I saw this so often in the Cage.

GB, JR, Iffy and BM have all disappointed this season but not from a lack of talent. They look like a group who have not played enough against better talent - which may be true. X has had a disappointing shooting season as well but not to the extent of the golden 4 - he still plays sound basketball.

TJ is a tough kid and had his best game at URI tonight.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Fun way to end the home season. During our losing streak we seem to mention on the board that we need everything to work out perfectly to win a game, Biruta stays out of foul trouble, and we don't turn the ball over, and we make foul shots. Lately, the team has been able to overcome these negatives and win a couple of games. In the last two, once we got the lead, we didn't let either team get back in the game. It shows a sign of maturity and believing in each other. I hope this continues for a couple of games in Brooklyn.
One negative comment, -during the ceremony honoring the seniors, the section (202,203?) where the Dean's List students were sitting, no one stood up and hardly any applauded. Don't get it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

72, I don't see a problem. EC and Jarvis can both play the position, in the game at the same time.

TJ won't play the point, he won't need to anymore. Biggie? Once in a while, maybe.

Our passing has improved dramatically. Once Garrett cracks the lineup, which shouldn't take long, it should get even better.

Depending on who else we bring in [SG/wing] we will need his scoring ability.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Leave it to '72 to be his usual Debbie Downer.
EC said he wants to play "some" PG, and he wants to move
around and be able to do different things on the floor.
Where you come to this "problem" conclusion, based on his post game remarks, is beyond me.
Gonzaga plays THREE point guard at the same time! So what?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, we go from zero PGs to 4 in one year? Now, there's some magic. We have a true PG coming in and another one learning the position. The way I see it, we have 1 1/2 PGs next year. I don't see any problem at all.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

For some reason URI is the only school when we have a couple players at the same position people start wildly speculating about stuff.

If they are going to go where they want to go they better have a few good players at every position. EC hardly strikes me as someone who has had a problem with anything this year.

Oh, and I have a feeling if he asked to play center DH would play him there, he's that good. College basketball nowadays it is common for multiple people to handle the point.

Team is fun to watch now..it's going to be a long summer waiting for next year..
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Leave it to 72 to come up with a hypothesis with little credibility. Let's be clear, TJ is not a PG, he is playing PG this year out of desperation. We will have 2 true PGs next year - Biggie and Jarvis. Whoever plays best will start. We have a future NBA prospect who ultimately will be the one who has the ball in his hands in crunch time. But I dont think EC will be upset if he isnt the guy bringing the ball up court and initiating the offense. Stop reading into things and just enjoy. For once we are playing better down the stretch than in January, which you have always harped on!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, methinks we shouldn't be using the words "NBA" when it comes to EC and Hassan just yet.

Not because they aren't good enough, or won't be good enough either.

It's because it won't be long before we start seeing NBA scouts frequenting the Ryan Center.

Maybe as early as next season.

We want them both to play 4 years for us. Let's hope so.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i hear ya Rambone, but if we have 2 guys good enough to leave early for the pros I have a feeling the on court and recruiting results will reflect that and soften the blow. EC proves high school rankings outside of the first 4-5 guys are largely bogus. As DH said, after the top 5-10 guys there is a lot of parity in 15-150. We can feast on that and use EC and Hassan as the face of the program.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Doug McDermott and Bryce Cotton prove the ratings aren't
anything to completely go by.
McDermott was going to some directional U, and Cotton to juco,
because neither was recruited very heavily.
Would you like to have them on your team? Hell yes!
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Great 2nd half last night. TJ with his best game in his career; it was nice to see him be more aggressive, while still taking what the defense gives him. Every shot he took he was wide open, nothing forced, etc. Played great defense per usual. EC is a stud, and X was on fire after a slow start.

Gil was awful, but it was nice to know that we can still play well and win, despite a performance like that. Hassan was great as well, and I thought Big O played his part nicely. JR needs to be a bit stronger, but there's something to build on in the off-season. He was much more aggressive, scoring and/or getting fouled on a couple drives to the hoop. D needs work though. Outlook still good.

No sign of Butler, which is interesting. Hope he can work on his defense and see some minutes next year. Excited for the A10 tournament; I think we can make some waves. We're playing with a lot of confidence, and can play with any team in this league. Barclay's should be fun.
0 x
Go Rhody!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True, Andrew. It's interesting to note that, with the exception of Fordham, the bottom of the league is now very competitive with the top and middle.

GMU, Duquesne, and us are right there. If we could do a re-do, the difference between the top and bottom has shrunk.

I wonder if the A10 powers-that-be, are thinking of dumping Fordham. They are bad, have been bad for a while, and don't seem to have much hope of getting better any time soon.

I mean, Fordham has the NY market, but who goes to their games? Their administration is also showing no inclination to build a bigger arena for the forseeable future.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I wonder what effect Fordham has on the Barclays or either NY school.

I would like to keep that for the foreseeable few-cha.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rod, is that you.....is a welcome back in order?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I've been back since Garrett's verbal.
I'm just not going to post as much.
I think.......
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

I would swap Iona for Fordham in a second.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Nice.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

bigappleram wrote:i hear ya Rambone, but if we have 2 guys good enough to leave early for the pros I have a feeling the on court and recruiting results will reflect that and soften the blow. EC proves high school rankings outside of the first 4-5 guys are largely bogus. As DH said, after the top 5-10 guys there is a lot of parity in 15-150. We can feast on that and use EC and Hassan as the face of the program.
Ridiculous, of course. Look at the past ten years of recruits ranked 5-50 and then look at the ones ranked say, 100-150. The results are stark. One cohort is filled with NBA guys and impact college players. The other less so. I'll let you figure out which is which. The problem is people view them as absolutes when the should be viewed as likelihoods. A guy ranked #9 is WAY more likely to be very good than a guy ranked #209. So, to say they are bogus is absurd. That's not to say that a 2* can't go to the NBA or a 5* can't be a dud. It's just a range of likelihoods. So, next top 100 guy DH and staff pulls down (funny how EC and Hassan were top 100 and we loved rankings then), I am going to be pretty pumped. Why? It's pretty likely that guy will have a major positive impact.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

as usual you extract the info that suits your needs...you just compared the #9 ranked recruit to #209. Yes agree with you, likely a stark difference. If you read what I wrote I said outside of the top 5-10, I think his exact quote was outside the top 10-15. If you didn't have a hard on for DH you would deduce he was talking more about the difference between a guy ranked 29 and the guy ranked 110. or 40 and 120. Instead you went to the extreme, suits your typical style. the point being, after the first group of blue chips the margin of error in scouting services greatly increases, and I bet the numbers back that up.

Surprised you are even here after we win 3 of 4. You must be super busy though these days, and just not have enough free time to post. Yeah that must be it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gonebarongone wrote:
bigappleram wrote:i hear ya Rambone, but if we have 2 guys good enough to leave early for the pros I have a feeling the on court and recruiting results will reflect that and soften the blow. EC proves high school rankings outside of the first 4-5 guys are largely bogus. As DH said, after the top 5-10 guys there is a lot of parity in 15-150. We can feast on that and use EC and Hassan as the face of the program.
Ridiculous, of course. Look at the past ten years of recruits ranked 5-50 and then look at the ones ranked say, 100-150. The results are stark. One cohort is filled with NBA guys and impact college players. The other less so. I'll let you figure out which is which. The problem is people view them as absolutes when the should be viewed as likelihoods. A guy ranked #9 is WAY more likely to be very good than a guy ranked #209. So, to say they are bogus is absurd. That's not to say that a 2* can't go to the NBA or a 5* can't be a dud. It's just a range of likelihoods. So, next top 100 guy DH and staff pulls down (funny how EC and Hassan were top 100 and we loved rankings then), I am going to be pretty pumped. Why? It's pretty likely that guy will have a major positive impact.
Is it necessary to call other people ridiculous and absurd? You can have a different opinion and are obviously welcome to share it, but the reason everyone thinks you are a troll is because you always come into these threads with guns blazing. Especially when you come at some of our best posters that have been here for a decade; you're making it difficult for yourself (which I don't honestly care about) and for the moderators. We don't want to shut posters out, but we don't want to police stupid internet beefs, either. So stop using inflammatory language to incite them.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

What a great second half. Couldn't be happier for Xavier, I had a huge smile on my face during the standing O after his 4th 3ball of the second half, so thrilled that he was able to end his Ryan Center career on a high note.

Also very encouraged that we weathered turnovers, missed FTs, and Gil's worst performance of the season to still have a fairly comfortable win (that said, Fordham really sucks, but don't tell me that we didn't play well either).

TJ had his best game as a Ram, did everything well. EC/Hassan continue to improve, and it's so great to see their on-court chemistry develop. What a treat to be able to watch them for the next few seasons.

Glad to see Jarvis taking in another win, wonder if he can travel to Brooklyn?? Also loved the fact that he was wearing some Rhody apparel.

All in all, great Senior Night, and thank you Xavier for a wonderful two seasons in Keaney Blue!!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

15 Year Lurker wrote:I would swap Iona for Fordham in a second.

I suspect many in the A10 would swap Iona for URI and have a greater presence in the NYC area. URI has not exactly been the gem of the A10 in basketball over the last decade. At this time in history, we should be careful when suggesting the A10 get rid of weak teams. Geographically, we are on the edge of the conference with UMASS leaving.

I would rather have TJ at PG than Biggie. I see Biggie as expendable if Garrett is as good as advertised. EC has career potential as a professional basketball player but only as a PG. DH has to keep EC happy; EC has options. EC needs to work and play as a PG if he is going to get better.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Oh, Lordy Lordy, 72. URI is nowhere in the same conversation about dropping teams. Fordham has NEVER EVER been good in their decades of A10 membership. Rhody has been good and even in the past decade we had top 4 conf finishes and a few bad fininshes (Baron) that kept us from the NCAA Tournament.

Sometimes, 72, I think you are trying too hard to have a contradictory/edgy opinion.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: Sometimes, 72, I think you are trying too hard to have a contradictory/edgy opinion.
This. Annnnnd, R72, are you breaking news about UMass or just throwing that in there to make you post even more nonsensical?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

UMass isn't leaving. Their football experiment is a debacle. The A10 is as good as it gets for them. They will be wise to stay as long as the A10 is relevant.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Is there available a reply of the Fordham game or Richmond also?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think it is more likely that UMass football comes back to FCS and the CAA than their basketball team leaving the A10.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

that ^
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote:BAR, methinks we shouldn't be using the words "NBA" when it comes to EC and Hassan just yet.

It's because it won't be long before we start seeing NBA scouts frequenting the Ryan Center.
Just as a point of info - Scouts regularly come to URI games anyway. They did during the Jim Baron era, and I would see some here and there during Hurley's first year too. I might be mistaken, since I haven't covered a game this year, but there is one scouting service that staffs every URI game. I believe they're mostly focused on providing reports to overseas clubs, but URI is a good enough program to regularly send guys overseas, plus, they're also examining the players on other teams.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

There was a scout from OKC at one of the games this year.
0 x
Give me football or give me death
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

SGreenwell wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:BAR, methinks we shouldn't be using the words "NBA" when it comes to EC and Hassan just yet.

Just as a point of info - Scouts regularly come to URI games anyway. They did during the Jim Baron era, and I would see some here and there during Hurley's first year too. I might be mistaken, since I haven't covered a game this year, but there is one scouting service that staffs every URI game. I believe they're mostly focused on providing reports to overseas clubs, but URI is a good enough program to regularly send guys overseas, plus, they're also examining the players on other teams.
Both have the upside to make the NBA. Without question. If I had to guess right now, I would probably put money on Hassan over EC. I could see EC being one of those guys who is an absolute college stud who has a game that doesn't completely translate to the NBA. Trying to think of a good comp. Anyone remember Malcolm Delaney from Virginia Tech. Boy that guy could score. And fill up the stat sheet a bit. First time All-ACC, I think. Not good enough with his handle to be a true NBA point. Hassan, though. He puts together a nice handful of offensive moves and he is 5-10 year NBA player. Lots of time to go, though. Will be fun to watch.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

As good as EC has been, I agree with most of that. I think Hassan has a higher ceiling, and the physical gifts that translate to the league. The thing about EC though is that developing great ball handling skills is perhaps the easiest thing to pick up, its just practice practice practice. Not easy, but attainable. As I have said, he should tie his left hand behind his back from April to October.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Maybe I don't see it the same way but I don't understand how their is this consensus that EC somehow can't handle the ball. To me it looks like he has a much better handle than Xavier already and had a few highlight reel behind the backs in traffic the past couple of days. My nervousness factor is much less when he has the ball than Buchanan and X no knock on them. I remember being nervousness when I watched marquis jones try to dribble his freshman year and he turned out alright. EC would have no problem next year playing point when needed...we just need him to score thsts the bigger issue so why not have a playmaking pg.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

15 Year Lurker wrote:Maybe I don't see it the same way but I don't understand how their is this consensus that EC somehow can't handle the ball. To me it looks like he has a much better handle than Xavier already and had a few highlight reel behind the backs in traffic the past couple of days. My nervousness factor is much less when he has the ball than Buchanan and X no knock on them. I remember being nervousness when I watched marquis jones try to dribble his freshman year and he turned out alright. EC would have no problem next year playing point when needed...we just need him to score thsts the bigger issue so why not have a playmaking pg.
I get what you mean, I wouldnt say he "can't" handle the ball, but maybe just more that its an area he can improve. I think he is much better in transition when it comes to that then in the half court sets.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Derek Gordon picked his pocket at least 3 times. He looked very shaky against VCUs pressure. He really only likes to put it on the floor to the left. He needs work on his ball handling, specifically on his right hand and when working under intense pressure. I for one am not knocking him, just pointing out a big part of his game where he still has much area of improvement. If he can get to even 50% effectiveness going right as he is going left, and can develop a pull up jumper he will be unstoppable. On top of that he has never really played lead guard/PG and being the "facilitator" rather than the "scorer" is foreign to him.

The beauty of all of this is that in the recaps of Garrett it consistently says he is as comfortable playing off the ball, as on it. So easily you could see a scenario where they constantly switch up who initiates/leads the offense. Great, dynamic back courts with 1 great big man can make a run in March!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:Derek Gordon picked his pocket at least 3 times. He looked very shaky against VCUs pressure. He really only likes to put it on the floor to the left. He needs work on his ball handling, specifically on his right hand and when working under intense pressure. I for one am not knocking him, just pointing out a big part of his game where he still has much area of improvement.
And the good part of all that? Whenever EC is asked about what he'll work on this off-season, that's exactly what he says.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea I think most acknowledge he can dribble better and it's something he CAN develop.

Drop URI??? Even with how bad we have been didn't Baron win some coach of the year awards?

URI as a school and program is never the outlier people(fans) make it out to be.

A10 has to be duly aware of how close we have played all our games. Both Hurley and the players will likely get better. It's coming together. Iona?? It's like a CC that has capitalized on kids transferring home.

Admittedly I don't know much aside from a night spent there freshman year a really long time ago, but maybe Fordham would do good to hire away whatever has made Iona successful and couple it with whatever Fordham has.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry