Pre-line up Introduction Video

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
lasumesa
Frenchy Tomlin

Pre-line up Introduction Video

Unread post by lasumesa »

Has anybody considered either dropping that pre-intro video or at least showing it at some other time? Showing it between the visiting teams introductions and ours is a momentum killer. The crowd is totally silent and people stand around with hands in their pockets waiting for it it be over. The video production itself is ok, but it always seems awkward when it's being shown.
Any thoughts?
0 x
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Re: Pre-line up Introduction Video

Unread post by bpaz11 »

I've always thought that video in the Ryan Center is pointless because you can't turn the lights off. When I've gone to games at Temple they shut the lights down and play a similar video and it really gets the place rocking. Here it makes no sense and I agree that its just dead time and takes away from all the pumping up of the crowd by the time the players names get called.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It's a shame the University did not have the money to install the lights with the automatic shields that can darken the arena without actually shutting down the lamps. Perhaps something they can upgrade in the years to come as the program brings in more revenue.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Does anybody know how much these special lamps would roughly cost?

I would love to see a drop down screen/score board in the near future.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Tom98 wrote:Does anybody know how much these special lamps would roughly cost?
Not sure what it would cost, but it looks like you can simply purchase the remote-controlled black-out shades which install over any standard indoor arena lamp fixtures.
http://www.paynesparkman.com/liteshade.html#
Tom98 wrote:I would love to see a drop down screen/score board in the near future.
I don't know if that's feasible. I think there are already issues with a center-hung scoreboard due to the already low HVAC system in the Ryan Center. I could be wrong. Not even sure if the roof structure was designed to support a full size suspended scoreboard.

I think they are more likely to upgrade the video board to a 16:9 LED HD panel which would fit perfectly. The main scoreboard already has space reserved, it appears, for a 16:9 widescreen display.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

So Keaney is equipped with that apparatus but not the Ryan? what sense does that make?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

to be clear, I'm talking about the shielded lights.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Not sure about Keaney. Maybe they just turned the lights off, but usually you can't do that with the type of high intensity lamps used at the ryan center. The dunk has the shades.
0 x
lasumesa
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by lasumesa »

Back to the topic.....how about showing the video just before the players come out for the 2nd half? But I like the idea of black outs for the lights during the intros.
Next thing to improve is we get someone to operate the scoreboard correctly so that the players/#'s on the floor are listed on the scoreboard lineup during the game.....
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

It can't be that expensive...they were able to raise 150k in a month for the locker rooms.

I get that they're trying to build the SADC, but I can't see these shades costing more than 20k.

It's such a psyche out for visiting teams to sit through a blackout intro. PC does it right...why can't we?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Tom98 wrote:Does anybody know how much these special lamps would roughly cost?
Not sure what it would cost, but it looks like you can simply purchase the remote-controlled black-out shades which install over any standard indoor arena lamp fixtures.
http://www.paynesparkman.com/liteshade.html#
Tom98 wrote:I would love to see a drop down screen/score board in the near future.
I don't know if that's feasible. I think there are already issues with a center-hung scoreboard due to the already low HVAC system in the Ryan Center. I could be wrong. Not even sure if the roof structure was designed to support a full size suspended scoreboard.

I think they are more likely to upgrade the video board to a 16:9 LED HD panel which would fit perfectly. The main scoreboard already has space reserved, it appears, for a 16:9 widescreen display.
The Arena lights, liek the ones at the mjor arena's, were in the original budget of the RYan center and cut. The shades were also cut out of the budget too.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano