Projo's 2012-13 Rhode Island Rams Basketball Preview

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Projo's 2012-13 Rhode Island Rams Basketball Preview

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Today in the Providence Sunday Journal, Kevin McNamara previews the Rams' first season under Dan and Bobby Hurley.

(To be honest, its' a little less of a preview and more of a Hurley Family 101 course over two pages. Still, a pleasure to read about this great family who now leads our Rams)

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5

Writing their script
Dan Hurley and his brother Bob are determined to lead the Rams to prominence and have brought their father’s toughness to Kingston
By KEVIN McNAMARA JOURNAL SPORTS WRITER

SOUTH KINGSTOWN — For what seems like forever, Bob Hurley and his boys have lorded over New Jersey’s basketball world.

When Bobby and Danny Hurley were toddlers, Bob would bring them to his St. Anthony High practices, plop them into a crib and work his coaching magic with Jersey City’s talented teenagers. In grade school, a picture of the boys finishing a race through the city’s streets hit the cover of the Jersey Journal. When it was their turn to play for the Friars, Bobby’s unending work ethic paid off with a 50-game win streak and a mythical national championship in 1989. When he went off to star at Duke, Danny stepped in and led another St. Anthony juggernaut.

“Growing up in Jersey City and being a Hurley,” Dan Hurley says, “everyone knew who we were everywhere we went.”

New Jersey owns a long list of icons, positive and negative. Megastar musicians, ranging from Frank Sinatra to Whitney Houston and Jon Bon Jovi, have called the state home. There are Jersey diners, the Jersey Shore beaches, TV’s Sopranos, the football Giants at the Meadowlands and the Miss America contest in Atlantic City.

Fitting right alongside are the Hurleys of Jersey City. In the basketball world, they own as much clout as Jersey’s beloved Bruce Springsteen. The Boss of hoops is Bob Hurley. His induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010 cemented a legacy that his boys take great pride in and one that has moved three states to the north.

The locale? The hamlet of Kingston, home of the Rhode Island Rams.

Read the rest of the article by clicking here...
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Projo's 2012-13 Rhode Island Rams Basketball Preview

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Today in the Providence Sunday Journal, Kevin McNamara previews the Rams' first season under Dan and Bobby Hurley.

(To be honest, its' a little less of a preview and more of a Hurley Family 101 course over two pages. Still, a pleasure to read about this great family who now leads our Rams)
I thought it was a good story, especially for those who haven't been paying attention until recently. My wife, f'rinstance.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RamJam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamJam »

Until that one guy chimes in... who is it, Donolly? (SP) that guy is such a debbie downer and a pessimist.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

5 foot 1 Jimbo Donaldson, as he is known around these parts.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I liked the story about the Hurley's but there was nothing we didn't know.

I think the preview should have at least mentioned the players and the prognosis for the season.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, it wasn't really a preview. Let's see what they do for that other team Monday.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

It was a nice bio feature on the Hurley's. Nothing wrong with a little back rub given to the new highest paid state employee.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

My favorite part of this story was the fact that it took up the whole front page of sports in the projo, and the piece on Cooley and PC was an afterthought at the bottom..
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote:My favorite part of this story was the fact that it took up the whole front page of sports in the projo, and the piece on Cooley and PC was an afterthought at the bottom..
PC has it's big article in today's paper.
0 x