Tempered Expectations

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RamJam
Abdul Fox

Tempered Expectations

Unread post by RamJam »

So instead of coming out gun slinging like I did yesterday, I want to try to explain why I have low or tempered expectations for this upcoming season.

1) First and foremost, the A-10 is a much improved conference then a few seasons ago. Ive seen analysts rank it as high as 6th overall. The additions of Butler & VCU obviously have immediate impacts, but to me, it doesnt look like the A-10 has any easy out games like in years past besides Fordham, GW and unfortunately it looks like URI. There is so much parity and strength in the middle of the A-10 now with the likes of Duquense, LaSalle, St Bonnies and even UMASS all looking to improve off of last years success. I am not saying we wont be competitive in some of our conference games, I just think the A-10 is going to be a tough conference to have a rebuilding year in this particular season.

2) Our non conference schedule, to our credit, is no joke either. Right off the bat, Norfolk State, Va Tech and Ohio State should be our toughest stretch all year. If we go 1-2, I consider that a success, but 0-3 is a real strong possibility. Stumbling out of the gate, could set the tone for the rest of the season.

3) The loss of Holton. This kid had promise. Granted, I think its better that he isnt on the team now, but he could have been a solid, solid contributor to our success/efforts this year and beyond. His departure leaves us with a void in the middle with no big man with significant experience. Against taller teams, this could prove to much to overcome.

4) No doubt about it, hiring the Hurleys was a great move for URI and the program, but again, this is a big step up in level of competition. The A-10 is no northeast conference. Could Hurley turn URI around the same way he did at Wagner? Absolutley, but I think its kinda wishful thinking to expect the same results in year 1-2. Lets keep in mind that this is only his 2nd stop in D-1 coaching, and a major step up in that. I believe he will get the job done, as already shown with the level and type of recruits his is bringing in, but I think its gonna take longer then it did at Wagner for some of the reasons stated above. For example, there was a lot of hype up the road a few years ago when PC brought in Keno. What happened there? And he was the Coach of the Year at the D-1 level. All I trying to highlight is that coaching succes isnt always transferable. I hope it is, but I dont see it short term happening here.

I said all that to say this. I think the Hurleys do have what it takes to get URI basketball to the next level. I think it will ultimately happen. But seeing fans predict 15 win seasons in year 1 is a bit much.

I guess the last decade has left me jaded and a pessimist.

As a sidenote- we get to see SMU come in with Larry Brown. Quite possibly a matchup of the two most interesting off season coaching hirings. Should be fun.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Re: Tempered Expectations

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Hurley is taking on some good opponents. This team may take some beatings this season, but should get stronger as time goes on.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i think high expectations for as early as next season are not wishful thinking. Gil Biruta will dominate A10 level competition, no doubt. All of our transfers were from BCS level schools, and I imagine all of them will be immediate contributors. Combine that with what should be a great recruiting class and returning guys from this year (hare, aaman, powell, munford, buchanan) and I think next year we will be middle to the top of the conference.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Well, yeah.

Sure, anyone who is predicting lots of wins this season is being overly optimistic, IMO, but who does it hurt? If they're going to be disappointed by the record at the end of the season and claim everything's a bust, well then fine, we'll have that discussion then. The way message boards go, it's pretty much a given that someone will come on here at the end of the season and proclaim how he or she alone knew the team would have a poor record and now LOOK! Wins and losses this season are pretty close to meaningless, and there will be other ways to judge the season.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

questioning the knowledge of a poster who cited the strength of Duquesne....they are going to be awful this season by all accounts. St Bonnies will fall back to the bottom and I do not have any confidence in Giannini at Lasalle regardless of how great of a backcourt they have.
0 x
RamJam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamJam »

Sorry, I meant Dayton. My mistake
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Lets also not put too much stock in the prediction contest either. Maybe some of them really think we'll hit those high win totals, or maybe they are just trying some strategy to be one of the few to pick a winning record. Hard to know for sure either way.

I think if you read through most of the posts on this board, everyone is pretty realistic about this season.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed. Much of the strategy of the prediction contest is not necessarily an indication of expected performance.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bigappleram wrote:questioning the knowledge of a poster who cited the strength of Duquesne....they are going to be awful this season by all accounts. St Bonnies will fall back to the bottom and I do not have any confidence in Giannini at Lasalle regardless of how great of a backcourt they have.
Thought the same thing, BAR. Also don't know what's so great about Norfolk St. just because they went to the tourney last year. Most of the guys from last year were seniors and are gone. Smart money says they'll finish this year with a worse record than Rhody.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Look, I don't care what record we have this season, because it won't matter.
What I want to see is progress, a cohesive offense, and defense that shows up for every game.
I want to see every player progress as the season goes on.
With this staff, I have every confidence, all of this will come to pass.
They already showed us they can recruit on this level, or better.
Next year, I do expect W-L results to be considerably better than this year.
Six highly talented players that we know of (in addition to the last recruit, unknown as of now)
will be added to the roster.
We have coaches who can coach them. End of story.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Look, I don't care what record we have this season, because it won't matter.
What I want to see is progress, a cohesive offense, and defense that shows up for every game.
I want to see every player progress as the season goes on.
With this staff, I have every confidence, all of this will come to pass.
They already showed us they can recruit on this level, or better.
Next year, I do expect W-L results to be considerably better than this year.
Six highly talented players that we know of (in addition to the last recruit, unknown as of now)
will be added to the roster.
We have coaches who can coach them. End of story.
Exactly, couldnt have said it any better.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Me too, great post Rod !!!!
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Jesus,

Rod and i agree; that doesn't happen often.

Well said.

I have always asked 2 things of the teams I follow.

1. Play hard and smart on the court

2. Represent the school well off it

I don't see either being an issue under Hurley
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Agree with above posts. This is the first year (for me) where winning games is way down the list of priorities. If we develop as the season goes on, and play hard every night, we'll be winners in my mind.
Let the long -12 month- pre-season begin
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Tempered expectations? Well, if you want to go by wins, fine. In all the years I've been on this board, there have been some who come on board and preach mediocrity. Could be because they are satisfied with that, or they don't want to be upstaged by our neighbors to the North. This is my 52nd year rooting for the Rams and, along with others, the excitement is truly there. If you were at the BW scrimmage, you would understand why. There is no time to wait and get on the bandwagon next year. I'm just guessing but I think even the layup drills before the game will be different tonight. Sorry, if anyone feels that Coach "only worked at Wagner". Watch the practices, watch the teams attitude, watch how when a person went down with a possible injury the entire team raced to him. This is a brand new ball game. I've listened to coach, I've watched coach, and I believe in coach. It's time for the fans of this school to support him. Go Rhody!
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Winning is still important and if it is not important don't keep score
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Winning IS important, but this year will be the exception for the reasons I listed in
my initial post.
Too many factors against compiling a significant win total. That much is obvious to
anyone paying attention to the program and the challenges facing it this season.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Within each game played, winning is the ultimate goal. However, as a final assessment of this season as a whole, success in terms of wins-losses will not be the primary measure.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rooting for this team will be so much fun compared to the last few yrs
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

reef wrote:Rooting for this team will be so much fun compared to the last few yrs
These guys play hard 40 minutes a game. If they keep that up, they'll win a good share of their games.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Well said Rod!
0 x