Exhibition: Coast Guard Academy- November 2, 7:00pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: Exhibition: Coast Guard Academy- November 2, 7:00pm

Unread post by Bos8 »

Blake did put some weight on. He had 4 points and 2 rebounds in 17 minutes vs Pitt and 4 points and 3 rebounds in 15 minutes vs Maryland.
0 x
section105

Unread post by section105 »

Hey all, busy with leaves all day, so my view of things from section 105, was focused on coach Hurley. sorry of this has already been covered here; 1) each posession on both ends is treated, by the Coach, as a precrious commodity that has a teachable moment for all players on the court. Meaning, when there was a breakdown, he would immediately get the attention of the player, or remove him from the game, and instantly instruct as to what the corrective action was. 2) During time outs, he would often quickly concult with Bobby and move directly to the seated huddle. 3) Preston had note pad going, neva seen that before!! 4) Toward the end of the game, coach Hurely went to each player, not in uniform, to express something, and a quick tap on the back, to me I saw that as "hang in there, I apprectiate your time.effort in practice, and it will pay off in the future........................" 5) at one pont, when CG went "on a run" (question, when ya score so few, can ya have a run??) anyway, coach Hurely took a TO, they stood in front of radio guys(Chris was outstanding on the post game) and I sensed Coach Hurely, basically said; "look men, that is not how we play here now, those breakdowns simply are not going to be tolerated, so erase from your head those mistakes, and selfish play and not helping out or giving 100% + on each posession".................I think he was speaking to the returning players...............Up and Rhody Runnin with "hope and change" for Rhody hoops.................
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This was my first time in the RC in 5 years.

My first reaction was where did the green border around the court as well as the lane come from? It looked like the used polyurethane with a yellow tint on the floor that change the blue to green. White lettering was now yellow. Ugly.

Is the home locker room opposite the benches now?

There use to be more fans at women's games than at the start of this one. Baron sucked the life out of the URI basketball program.

For the first 5-10 minutes of the game I thought we were back to Baronball where we won scoring 50 points.

URI's athleticism was just too much for CG. When a game is this lob-sided you can't judge the talent level of URI.

I thought URI maintained its defensive intensity throughout.

Hare will benefit from a high carb diet.

URI is a small quick team that really pushes and moves the ball.

I'm glad to be back as a season ticket holder.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

72, I may be wrong, but I think they are not done with the men's basketball locker room renovations quite yet.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Here are the Projo write-ups by Kevin McNamara following the exhibition:

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5
0 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

I appreciate the write ups and info. I was not present but in reviewing the box score, one thing that stood out was Bigby's line. Looks like he can be a nice complimentary player who can contribute in alot of ways
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

ATPTourFan wrote:72, I may be wrong, but I think they are not done with the men's basketball locker room renovations quite yet.
ATP I think you're correct, I heard the new lockers came in last week and it should be done shortly so they've been using one of the other locker rooms in the mean time on the away team side. They should be back to the home team side soon I would guess.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the instruction Hurley is doing, it will teach these kids to play the right way
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

All weekend I "could not" get on the chatboard. Hate my lack of computer skills. Agree with all of the posts. The team played with discipline and got some good looks from the offensive sets. Hare seemed to get more relaxed and into it as the game went on. I liked Bigby's intensity. He will be an important part of this year's team. It would be nice if TJ got back soon. One would hate to think what would happen in a game if X and Powell got into foul trouble. I can also understand why the coaches want the Big O to play this year. We need a large presence underneath. Overall, a good night. I had a tough time keeping my eyes off of the coaches. Coach seemed to talk alot with Bobby during the game, and also went down the bench to talk to "next year's players". Get there on Friday!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

A happy coincidence brought me to RI on Friday and I stayed to attend the Coast Guard game. Not much to add other than what others have said. I just enjoyed the defensive intensity of this team. Being alone, I got a chance to watch the game from different parts of the Ryan Center, and most enjoyed a position behind the Ram bench where I could focus on the action among the coaches and players. And what a relief to see and hear Hurley in action versus Baronspeak.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Just chimed in to say Bigby does many of the little things correctly. He was setting good screens, grabbing loose balls, making crisp passes. A lot of his contributions might not show up in the box score, but he'll be a vital role player for this team.
0 x
Go Rhody!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree with Andrew on Bigby. He's a glue guy.
Neil, where were you sitting?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rod, I spotted Neil in his usual middle-of-section-205 spot.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Rod, I'm in 205 row E - seat 18 - stop by if you get a chance!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I asked, because there was someone fitting Neil's self description in 213, with a little boy. I almost asked the man if he was Neil, but thought better of it.
I did get to see Milan, and spotted The Godfather.
Neil, I sure will!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rod, I'll have to introduce myself on Friday. Maybe we can meet up at halftime or something. I think I know what you look like, based on your self-description before the Hurley Intro presser. I think I spotted you bue didn't get over to say hi. You don't look too much like Saddam Hussein! :lol: :lol:
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Afte.r reading the article, I get why the entire team runs over to a team mate who might be hurt
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Neil, I could have said Tom Selleck, circa Bluebloods, of Burt Reynolds before he became a little Chinese man, but that would have sounded conceited, so I settled on Sadaam, circa Desert Storm. Ugh!
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

You know, given the options, conceit might not have been a bad road to go down.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yeah, well my daughter said Freddie Mercury.
I guess anyone who ever had a mustache is in play.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

You know who else had a mustache?

Say it ain't so, Rod.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Though I'm not one to judge, I look like Colin Montgomery's disappointing alcoholic younger brother.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, dark guys with mustaches, then.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

I wish I could find a pic of Jerry D looking confused.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Thanks for the reports from all who were there. A lot of what was said seems consistent with the Hurley teams I've watched over the years, especially at Wagner.

You saw how active the coach is during the games, expect that to continue. But for as intense as Hurley is in practice, you will rarely if ever really see him go after a player during a game. He'll make his point but none of that yelling in your face kind of stuff. For time-outs, Hurley will almost always touch base with his coaches, then go into the huddle.

This team is out-manned right now; they'll get their wins when everything is clicking on offense and when they can successfully compensate for their lack of size and experienced big men by being disruptive on defense. The effort will consistently be there. I do think there could be concerns about foul trouble. Hurley's Wagner teams fouled a lot- it wasn't necessarily cheap reach-ins, but I'm pretty sure they were top ten in fouls per game. It was part of the style, but it seemed like they were always in the penalty early.

The reports here about Hare seem consistent with what Hurley's been saying about him- he'll contribute from day one on defense with blocking shot and forcing altered shots; the rest will take some time to develop. Dan redshirted a year as a player, although under different circumstances. Keeping three (4?) players who will get no game time at all motivated and involved is no easy task, but I have no doubt that Hurley will handle it very well.
0 x