Onyekaba Cleared to Practice With Men's Basketball

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Onyekaba Cleared to Practice With Men's Basketball

Unread post by jaywin86 »

here's the article for go rhody. i dont know if its been posted already. sorry if it has been.

KINGSTON, R.I. -- Ifeanyi Onyekaba has been academically cleared by the NCAA to participate fully in practice and team activities for the Rhode Island men's basketball team.

The native of Abuja, Nigeria is a full academic qualifier and will spend a year in-residence during the 2012-13 season, before competing for the Rams starting with the 2013-14 season. Rhode Island is currently pursuing an eligibility waiver with the NCAA.

The 6-8, 240 lb. newcomer joined the Rams this season after finishing his prep career at the Virginia Episcopal School.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Onyekaba Cleared to Practice With Men's Basketball

Unread post by reef »

Excellent news !!!
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

This doesn' t make sense. He qualifies academically and goes to classes but can't play basketball.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Check the other threads about this, there's quite a bit that's yet to be explained.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Let's just hope that it is not because he doesn't meet Hurley's academic standards.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody72 wrote:Let's just hope that it is not because he doesn't meet Hurley's academic standards.
I don't even know what this means. These decisions are being made by the NCAA, not the coaching staff; that's why they're applying for the waiver from the NCAA.

Besides, this is what Hurley said about Onyekaba: “The kid is highly intelligent and has been a high-achiever academically both in Africa and in the two schools in Virginia,” Hurley told SNY.tv. “We’re thrilled to have him as a member of the program moving forward. He brings a real physical defensive rebounding presence. Moving forward in the program he’s got a great chance to have a real prominent role because of how effective he is around the basket.”
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I want Big O to play this year, but I can see value in allowing him to polish his game in practice this year.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I want Big O to play this year, but I can see value in allowing him to polish his game in practice this year.
Thats kind of how I feel about it as well. Its just one more weapon for next season when I hope/think we'll make a big jump in wins.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

If he does get cleared to play, can we change our contest predictions? One more quality front court player could make a big difference on this team.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agreed, this is all setting up for next yr and the yr after to get us in position for a NCAA bid :lol:
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

ace wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:Let's just hope that it is not because he doesn't meet Hurley's academic standards.
I don't even know what this means. These decisions are being made by the NCAA, not the coaching staff; that's why they're applying for the waiver from the NCAA.

Besides, this is what Hurley said about Onyekaba: “The kid is highly intelligent and has been a high-achiever academically both in Africa and in the two schools in Virginia,” Hurley told SNY.tv. “We’re thrilled to have him as a member of the program moving forward. He brings a real physical defensive rebounding presence. Moving forward in the program he’s got a great chance to have a real prominent role because of how effective he is around the basket.”
I took this to mean that Baron sometimes benched a player for not having a high enough average. The player was able to qualify according to NCAA standards.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Essam wrote:
ace wrote:

I took this to mean that Baron sometimes benched a player for not having a high enough average. The player was able to qualify according to NCAA standards.
Well, sure, a lot of coaches do that, but the situation with Onyekaba has nothing to do with such a policy. This is very clearly not the coach's decision.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I hope he gets to play this year. The NCAA makes no sense, a kid can qualify academically but still need a waiver to play?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

So we're still trying to get him to play? Is there a chance waiver clearing happens during the season? Is there any precedent for that?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

With URI's luck, they will clear him to play on March 1 2013.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

ATPTourFan wrote:With URI's luck, they will clear him to play on March 1 2013.
that would be by our old standards, our luck is changing for the best...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Technically, yes, the ruling can come at anytime during the season.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So from the URI Basketball Hour w/ Dan Hurley this week, Dan spoke about Onyekaba's situation.

1) It's still pending, meaning he could still potentially clear and PLAY this year.

2) If he doesn't clear for this season, he is hopeful that Onyekaba at least "gets his fourth year back".
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Damn, this just popped up and I thought it was done. Oh well.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Me too, Billyboy!
OK.
I asked Thorr about Oneykaba. Without going into specifics,
he said they were doing everything they could to get the
Big O eligible.
Gotta think Hurley wants him this year.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Does anyone know what the problem is with Onyekaba ? Is it a transcript problem ? A NCAA Offical on vacation? ETC
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Whatever the problem is, it's covered by
University/student confidentiality, Because of that,
we're not hearing specifics.
My guess it is a transcript problem and that's why they can't elaborate.
Thorr told me he couldn't be specific, but they were doing everything to get him eligible.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I would imagine that his transcript is still being reviewed. There is an NCAA International Student Records Committee in place to review the records of foreign-born players. Onyekaba's case is what is called a split file, as he attended high school in two different countries, which is always more work. They have had his file for more than two months at this point, but this was all very rushed, so he's behind when this process would normally have gotten started. In general, there is also an amateurism clause, although Onyekaba's only been playing organized basketball for a few years, so it seems less likely that there's a problem there.

And if you think this situation is frustration (and it is), it has nothing on what Myck Kabongo and Texas are going through.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Am I the only one that doesn't want him to burn a year this point if he could have four years starting next year? I want to be as competitive as we can be this year, but I'm just not sure at what point it becomes a lost season with respect to Ifeanyi's eligibility.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If he can get eligible before the conference part of the schedule starts, I'm all for it. I would prefer to see him getting, and learning from, game time at this point. With a deeper roster and more of his players next year, we'll see a difference in how this team operates. I want Hurley to have as many options as possible as soon as possible.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I want to see him this year...he will have a ton of minutes to develop
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Exactly, Roz!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think I would be on board if he got cleared tomorrow. But I do think we are approaching the point where it won't be a good use of his eligibility (assuming, of course, that he even gets a fourth year).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sure. If they clear him for mid January, wasting a year would be
silly. It has to happen before January to make any sense.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Also, 3 or 4 yrs from now Hurley will be able to get a player just as good if not even better to replace Onyekaba, don't you think?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

True, I say clear him and get him suited up
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Also, 3 or 4 yrs from now Hurley will be able to get a player just as good if not even better to replace Onyekaba, don't you think?
Yeah this is exactly why I am all for Onyekaba to play this year, even if it is into conference play. If there are about 10 games left when he is cleared, I think Hurley would leave the option up to Onyekaba out of respect, but say that he prefers him to play this year.

My thinking is that any playing time this year would certainly help himself adapt to the pace of US college basketball and also turbo-boost his development as a player. He could be a key piece to a potential A10 playoff spot and would SERIOUSLY improve the team; as Hare and Onyekaba would be a great duo both defensively and offensively (mismatches - opposing big man takes who? taller athlete or shorter player with dominant post presence)

But the BIG reason that no one has mentioned here is because this would benefit our RECRUITING in the future. Hurley will certainly be able to recruit some of the best big-men around, but going into next year having Hare with 3 years of eligibility and Onyekaba with 4 will certainly make this program a tougher sell, because top-level recruits want immediate playing time.

Hurley's plan is definitely to have Onyekaba play this year when eligible, regardless of games left. The question is, at what point will he leave the decision up to Onyekaba himself to lose a year of eligibility for a couple games.

BTW, this might have been mentioned already, but I noticed Onyekaba's ESPN profile was updated on 9/24/12. He is rated 3 stars at grade 89, and the #12 center in the 2012 prospect class. For reference Hare is rated 3 stars at 90 and is the #24 center in 2012 class.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

how do you know what Hurley's plan "definitely" is....are you Bobby?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One thing I'm still not clear on....If Big O plays this year, I assume he'll have 3 years left? If he doesn't play this year, will he still only have 3 years left? The talk of losing a year of eligibility confuses me on this one. Is anyone clear on this?
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

bigappleram wrote:how do you know what Hurley's plan "definitely" is....are you Bobby?
I should have phrased that differently, but I think that is his plan because it makes alot of sense, to me at least. I would prefer to hear feedback about the actual points I made as opposed to my poor choice of words
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Billyboy78 wrote:One thing I'm still not clear on....If Big O plays this year, I assume he'll have 3 years left? If he doesn't play this year, will he still only have 3 years left? The talk of losing a year of eligibility confuses me on this one. Is anyone clear on this?
Good point, I dont think anyone knows exactly his case of future eligibility/years. I went with what makes sense to me at this point, and I think I remember Hurley saying recently that he hopes to use Onyekaba for 4 years
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

from the little DH has spoken of Ifeanyi he seems to believe the kid can be a major contributor here, both immediately and in the future. if he does play him it will be solely because he wants to win now and realizes the importance of getting some Ws on the board for the long term outlook of the program and the fans. it wont be because he knows he can recruit a better big man in the future so who cares about the kids eligibility. DH does not seem to be built like that. i also wouldnt discount the value of a 6'8" kid built like a pro linebacker, we havent seen too many of those in Kingston ever, especially if you pair that with real offensive skills. to think he can easily recruit over that might be a bit too speculative. i think where we can out recruit the major powers will be the back court, given the hurley pedigree. i think for big men we will still have to scrap or take chances on kids, the blue chip big guys will always be tough to land for URI.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Ok.. I am clueless here.. But I'm drinking the kook aid ?

How good is this kid ?!??

I'll check out you tube

Rhody Hoops !
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hurley said, Oneykaba on many days, was the best frontcourt playr in practice.
That includes Biruta.
I've only seen him in a scrimage, but he showed a great move, and
obvious athleticism.
He's also built like a statue.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Summary- he's a three star ESPN recruit, with potential and a basketball ready body but somewhat limited organized basketball experience, and he's reportedly impressed the staff in practices.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Thx for the update guys..
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Give me the twin towers of Big O and Gil !!!!
0 x